Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How much should a store clerk be tipped for selling a big winning ticket?

Topic closed. 48 replies. Last post 3 months ago by Soledad.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Amount of tip

$100 [ 4 ]  [26.67%]
$200 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
$500 [ 4 ]  [26.67%]
More than $500 [ 7 ]  [46.67%]
Total Valid Votes [ 15 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 8 ]  
San Diego, CA
United States
Member #58386
February 12, 2008
287 Posts
Posted: September 15, 2016, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

If someone won a $10M jackpot how much should the clerk that sold the ticket receive as a tip?

I was thinking $100 per $10M won (e.g. $20M would be $200.) After taxes that $10M jackpot is about $3M cash.

Possibly $500 per $10M won.  That is a big range.  I know.

Wyomissing, PA
    United States
    Member #161050
    November 15, 2014
    301 Posts
    Posted: September 15, 2016, 11:07 pm - IP Logged

Zero. And all the more reason to use self-service terminals and/or buy via subscription (where offered).

While it could be a nice gesture to reward the clerk, the result may not be a thank you, but rather resentment for not tipping more. Or even worse, getting roped into a legal dispute. The clerk could claim the payment was part of a prior purchase agreement that the winnings would be split, etc. A court might toss such a case, but maybe not; winnings being frozen for months or even much longer.

Personally, in my view, it's not worth the chance. Furthermore, after winning a big jackpot, best to steer clear of the lottery retailer that sold the ticket.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4110 Posts
      Posted: September 15, 2016, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

Zero. And all the more reason to use self-service terminals and/or buy via subscription (where offered).

While it could be a nice gesture to reward the clerk, the result may not be a thank you, but rather resentment for not tipping more. Or even worse, getting roped into a legal dispute. The clerk could claim the payment was part of a prior purchase agreement that the winnings would be split, etc. A court might toss such a case, but maybe not; winnings being frozen for months or even much longer.

Personally, in my view, it's not worth the chance. Furthermore, after winning a big jackpot, best to steer clear of the lottery retailer that sold the ticket.

I Agree!..Nothing works just fine. A little over a year or so ago, the owner of a convenient store in Milpitas CA took a customer to court because he said that she promised him close to half a million from a winning million dollar scratcher ticket she purchased from his store . This lowlife eventually sold his store after the CA lottery came by to remove his equipment. He was bad for business, a cancer lesion on the lottery. .they said.Which reminds me, LP never did a follow up on that story. I hope he lost in court. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
        Brooklyn, NY
        United States
        Member #169723
        October 29, 2015
        879 Posts
        Posted: September 16, 2016, 12:03 am - IP Logged

I have seen that the lottery will take the photo of the winner holding the large check inside the store where the winner purchased the ticket. That is for publicity for the store to boost business.

So, it would be hard for the store owner not to know who the winner was, but I suppose you could ask for the press conference (if necessary) to be held somewhere else.

If I was a regular customer I would give a tip of $500 - $1,000. If I just happened to be somewhere and bought a ticket on the fly, nothing.

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10354 Posts
          Posted: September 16, 2016, 12:06 am - IP Logged

Some good points made so far, pro and con. 

Maybe playing the same ticket for the clerk would make things a lot easier in the long run, should it be a winner.

Wink

Lep

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7322 Posts
            Posted: September 16, 2016, 12:26 am - IP Logged

I have seen that the lottery will take the photo of the winner holding the large check inside the store where the winner purchased the ticket. That is for publicity for the store to boost business.

So, it would be hard for the store owner not to know who the winner was, but I suppose you could ask for the press conference (if necessary) to be held somewhere else.

If I was a regular customer I would give a tip of $500 - $1,000. If I just happened to be somewhere and bought a ticket on the fly, nothing.

I Agree! it depends on the circumstances. Just can't see how the clerk that sold me one ticket compared to all the other clerks that sold me many tickets should get a huge tip. Especially considering they did nothing more than all the other clerks.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
              Member #4877
              May 30, 2004
              5124 Posts
              Posted: September 16, 2016, 12:37 am - IP Logged

don't be a deplorable  "cheapo" Thud

Psyko knows no one on the Lottery Post would want to be considered a "cheapo" if he or she won a big  "jackpot" $$$. Tips all depends on what part of the US you play an/or win your "pot" prize. The percent     amount of tip you pay depends on the type of service you receive by your 711 lottery sales consultant!     example: was it excellent...very good...good...bad...ugly or so so...?? In the mid-west 15% to 20% is     about the norm to pay your consultant. On the east-coast a flat 20% is the standard. As you go on down south sister and brother you can crap on these people because, they git the lowest tips of all...y'all...so   all...y'all...come to south Florida and win ya all a big jackpot...ya hear cause, ya git good tax break too! 

LIFE JUST CAN'T GIT NO "BUTTER"

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                Bay Area - California
                United States
                Member #136477
                December 12, 2012
                4110 Posts
                Posted: September 16, 2016, 12:50 am - IP Logged

Nothing cheapo about it. I agree with Ron because his answer made the most sense to me. Others may differ but hey, that's life. First off: It is YOU who hands your playslips over to the clerk, it's YOU who's reaching into his/her wallet to play those numbers. The clerk is doing " squat" but pushing Your slips through. There is no entitlement here . Once again: your slip, your money. As they say : Game Over!

Btw- l have tipped in every restaurant l have eaten in, if the food is lousy, l tip but don't go back.El Cheapo?  My A*** komo.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

bigbuckswede's avatar - Riksbanken 2010000.jpeg

Sweden
                  Member #153629
                  March 20, 2014
                  129 Posts
                  Posted: September 16, 2016, 4:22 am - IP Logged

Nothing.

Return of Investment, ROI 2014 20% | ROI 2015 20% | ROI 2016 14,45%

Tatototman65's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
                    Member #138729
                    February 4, 2013
                    2874 Posts
                    Posted: September 16, 2016, 8:44 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

Smile

Want regulated Internet gaming in your state? Got 30 SECONDS to spare?
                    MI Residents ONLY (Time is running out; ACT NOW)-
                    Click me
                    Open to EVERYONE- Click me

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19831 Posts
                      Posted: September 16, 2016, 8:45 am - IP Logged

If someone won a $10M jackpot how much should the clerk that sold the ticket receive as a tip?

I was thinking $100 per $10M won (e.g. $20M would be $200.) After taxes that $10M jackpot is about $3M cash.

Possibly $500 per $10M won.  That is a big range.  I know.

YOU MUST BE A STORE CLERK. LOL Confused

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Bay Area - California
                        United States
                        Member #136477
                        December 12, 2012
                        4110 Posts
                        Posted: September 16, 2016, 9:12 am - IP Logged

YOU MUST BE A STORE CLERK. LOL Confused

Nice catch RJ. I think you right on that one. On second thought the  stores that sells the winning jackpot ticket out here get  $1 mil anyways- so what's the tip for?

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                          Idaho
                          United States
                          Member #94283
                          July 17, 2010
                          2284 Posts
                          Posted: September 16, 2016, 12:14 pm - IP Logged

Nice catch RJ. I think you right on that one. On second thought the  stores that sells the winning jackpot ticket out here get  $1 mil anyways- so what's the tip for?

The store gets that money, not the clerk usually.

My answer to the OP is that it depends.  If the clerk that sold it even once acted like I was bothering them for wanting tickets or made a comment about wasting money or asked me to share with them even jokingly, or anything like that, I would tip nothing.

If the clerk was always friendly and helpful, then I'd tip them.  The amount depends on how long I've known them.  The two that I usually to go to would get $14K of any win larger than 5 million, if they were the one that sold me the ticket.  Others that I don't know as well or have only purchased from a few times would get less.  Maybe a thousand or two.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                            u$a
                            United States
                            Member #106665
                            February 22, 2011
                            19908 Posts
                            Posted: September 16, 2016, 12:49 pm - IP Logged

That's a good question.

Let it Snow Snowman

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                              A long and winding road
                              United States
                              Member #17084
                              June 10, 2005
                              4532 Posts
                              Posted: September 16, 2016, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

I usually tip them a little to the left or a little to the right, just so they can stand straight. Good Posture is important!Wink

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

christmas holly jolly numbers: 255,303,6911, 474,477 silver:47,gold:79.