Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How much should a store clerk be tipped for selling a big winning ticket?

Topic closed. 48 replies. Last post 2 months ago by Soledad.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Amount of tip

$100 [ 4 ]  [26.67%]
$200 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
$500 [ 4 ]  [26.67%]
More than $500 [ 7 ]  [46.67%]
Total Valid Votes [ 15 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 8 ]  
HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
Idaho
United States
Member #94283
July 17, 2010
2284 Posts
Posted: September 16, 2016, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

I usually tip them a little to the left or a little to the right, just so they can stand straight. Good Posture is important!Wink

You must live in cow country.  Green laugh

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
    Happy California
    United States
    Member #157856
    August 2, 2014
    1511 Posts
    Posted: September 16, 2016, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

You must live in cow country.  Green laugh

I Agree!  I really enjoy how other people enjoy spending my money. They are so fast and free with it!

A lot of people consider lottery winners fair game. They say or think, "Oh you did not work for it". I will refer those beggars to my money man/gal. If I have a difficult time saying, "NO".

Slow down folks and create a business-like manner when confronted by beggars.

He or She who has the gold rules. You make the rules of the game. You always win in any transaction.

Here is to an LP Member winning PB & MM tonight and Saturday night.

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4105 Posts
      Posted: September 16, 2016, 2:45 pm - IP Logged

The store gets that money, not the clerk usually.

My answer to the OP is that it depends.  If the clerk that sold it even once acted like I was bothering them for wanting tickets or made a comment about wasting money or asked me to share with them even jokingly, or anything like that, I would tip nothing.

If the clerk was always friendly and helpful, then I'd tip them.  The amount depends on how long I've known them.  The two that I usually to go to would get $14K of any win larger than 5 million, if they were the one that sold me the ticket.  Others that I don't know as well or have only purchased from a few times would get less.  Maybe a thousand or two.

l understand how you feel on this topic H, however l am a strong advocate for anonymity. I don't build relationships with store clerks and l sure as hell am not going to return to that store to ask " Do you know where so & so is because I have a cheque to give him/ her." I value my privacy so if a store produces the winning ticket- forget about seeing me anywhere near the place. As for the million they receive,it's up to the owner to do the right thing and reward his clerk or clerks,  that is not my job or role in paying people.lf there is infighting at that store over the million dollars it received, the clerks can always go to the press. Californians love that crap...protesting that is. I think SF has a couple on a daily basis, let it still over. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

JAMORA's avatar - ladyclover
        NC
        United States
        Member #164399
        February 28, 2015
        1926 Posts
        Posted: September 16, 2016, 2:46 pm - IP Logged

Nothing, as they didn't help subsidize my losing tickets.

"Don't waste time, it's the stuff life's made of..."

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
          Bay Area - California
          United States
          Member #136477
          December 12, 2012
          4105 Posts
          Posted: September 16, 2016, 2:51 pm - IP Logged

Nothing, as they didn't help subsidize my losing tickets.

Exactly! 

At least in a restaurant,  the waiter or waitress is bringing you something, asking you " is there anything else you would like,  more water perhaps, napkins? " The clerk does absolutely nothing except run your playslip with YOUR money through the machine.. .. ...and then says " Next."

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

LottoAce's avatar - WWI Flying_Ace.gif
            N.C.
            United States
            Member #56005
            October 28, 2007
            829 Posts
            Posted: September 16, 2016, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

I'm opposed to the store getting a percentage. it brings down the jackpot amount. after all it wasn't the store owner/clerk that
            picked the winning numbers. however if the store is going to receive a reward for selling the winning ticket, then the store owner
            should give the clerk the bonus out of his/her take. probably not going to happen though. we all know that business owners are way to greedy to reward their employees with a cash incentive/bonus/reward/etc.

"know your limitations, but excede your expectations"

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3474 Posts
              Posted: September 16, 2016, 4:49 pm - IP Logged

"I'm opposed to the store getting a percentage. it brings down the jackpot amount."

The jackpot is determined strictly be sales in the case of most online games, and for other games it's determined by some other method that takes no account of  any bonus paid to the retailer. The bonus is just another part of the overhead the lottery has before the net profit goes to whatever use the state put it towards. Of course, unlike other overhead, a bonus is a completely unnecessary expense that reduces the lottery's contribution to the state budget.

As for what the clerk should get, they deserve the same amount you'd give them for selling you any other ticket. If they did something else that  actually mattered they might deserve a tip, but there's no sensible reason to give them a tip that's based on what numbers the lottery selected in a drawing.

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
                Green Bay
                United States
                Member #169391
                October 15, 2015
                1243 Posts
                Posted: September 16, 2016, 5:43 pm - IP Logged

Nothing.  I'm the one risking my money on tickets.

Never give up.  Banana

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10347 Posts
                  Posted: September 16, 2016, 5:47 pm - IP Logged

Anyone here know that tip is an acronym for to insure promptness?

I'll give one example, I live in a rural area and usually play at one of two grocery stores. Both stores do their lotto at the customer service counter which also does money orders, Western Union, etc....

At one store the clerk knows who the lottery players are and when people are busy filling out their Western Union paperwork she asks the players what they want for lotto.

Deserving of a tip? I'd say so.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                    Member #52345
                    May 21, 2007
                    2657 Posts
                    Posted: September 16, 2016, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

Nothing.  I'm the one risking my money on tickets.

I Agree!

New York, NY
                      United States
                      Member #140634
                      March 23, 2013
                      2958 Posts
                      Posted: September 16, 2016, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

$100 tip when you won 10M bucks, wow. That's really cheap. I mean if you thought about tipping the guy in the first place, I really wouldn't call that a tip. No offense, to each their own. But if I had 10M dollars, I wouldn't be so cheap..Besides the State gives the store a big check to begin with like at least in the thousands, and then you who actually won the jackpot are gonna drop by and say here's a bill thanks...Nah that's not my style at all. I'd feel ridiculous doing that. No offense, just keeping it real. I wouldn't tip him. The business he would get from selling that ticket alone would be good enough, and plus the state pays them a check also. To each their own.

Krypton
                        United States
                        Member #140102
                        March 11, 2013
                        891 Posts
                        Posted: September 16, 2016, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

I tip me rather well due to the fact their knowledgable about the equipment and if I'm running late and there's a line he holds out his hand to me as he waits on the others and runs my tickets.  That's worth quite a bit to me

Stay In The Vortex, you'll be happy you did ..... Random? Seriously? You want me to believe that?

Bay Area - California
                          United States
                          Member #136477
                          December 12, 2012
                          4105 Posts
                          Posted: September 16, 2016, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

Anyone here know that tip is an acronym for to insure promptness?

I'll give one example, I live in a rural area and usually play at one of two grocery stores. Both stores do their lotto at the customer service counter which also does money orders, Western Union, etc....

At one store the clerk knows who the lottery players are and when people are busy filling out their Western Union paperwork she asks the players what they want for lotto.

Deserving of a tip? I'd say so.

Most stores do it the same way out here on the West Coast as well Coin. Whether it's a Safeway, Cvs, Walgreens or other- it's one counter for everything, and it's first come first served.Never seen anyone cut in line though. 

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                            Mcminnville, Oregon
                            United States
                            Member #3013
                            December 13, 2003
                            3047 Posts
                            Posted: September 16, 2016, 10:01 pm - IP Logged

When I go to circle k and rick the clerk is their he says to me when he is selling me lotto "Now help me out buddy don't leave me hanging.  You are going to take care of me."  I hate to shop at circle k when rick is there because he is the only clerk that does this.-weshar75

US Flag

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                              Pennsylvania
                              United States
                              Member #74096
                              May 2, 2009
                              22871 Posts
                              Posted: September 16, 2016, 10:20 pm - IP Logged

Nothing. Why give them a tip? Because you suddenly feel wealthy?? It's their job to do what they do and if 

I had a job like that, I wouldn't be expecting handouts from players/winners. In fact, how do you, with

a straight face and clear conscience ask for anyone's money? Or even take it for what you're already being

paid to do? It's not their money that bought the ticket and wasn't their numbers that won. My gosh it wasn't

even anything more than them processing a request at the time you asked for it or handed your cards over

for them to run them....it's their job which they are being paid to do. If they want money for nothing, they

can hit up some other big hearted sap because they won't get anything from me.