Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 2:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How much should a store clerk be tipped for selling a big winning ticket?

Topic closed. 48 replies. Last post 3 months ago by Soledad.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Amount of tip

$100 [ 4 ]  [26.67%]
$200 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
$500 [ 4 ]  [26.67%]
More than $500 [ 7 ]  [46.67%]
Total Valid Votes [ 15 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 8 ]  
Florida
United States
Member #171219
January 3, 2016
95 Posts
Posted: September 16, 2016, 10:41 pm - IP Logged

I have worked at a few retail stores, and one part of the training, at every store, I remember is that it is against company policy to accept tips, favors, etc. from customers. I don't remember why, but that's the way it was. That being said, I agree with the "no tip" and "store avoidance" sentiment previously expressed. I would have to go back and tip A LOT of people to be fair to all past cashiers, and it would take a really long time to do that.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
    Bay Area - California
    United States
    Member #136477
    December 12, 2012
    4107 Posts
    Posted: September 16, 2016, 11:32 pm - IP Logged

When I go to circle k and rick the clerk is their he says to me when he is selling me lotto "Now help me out buddy don't leave me hanging.  You are going to take care of me."  I hate to shop at circle k when rick is there because he is the only clerk that does this.-weshar75

US Flag

Tell him whatever you want but when you win Weshar, ignore him and if he asks why you not coming through for him- just tell him ...

Image result for rick rolled

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
      Member #4877
      May 30, 2004
      5120 Posts
      Posted: September 17, 2016, 1:17 am - IP Logged

When I go to circle k and rick the clerk is their he says to me when he is selling me lotto "Now help me out buddy don't leave me hanging.  You are going to take care of me."  I hate to shop at circle k when rick is there because he is the only clerk that does this.-weshar75

US Flag

W75 Congrats 2U

Looks like you have established the truth and proof that Rick is trying to set you up for his future tip if you win the jackpot in his lifetime. Just refer his lawyer to this LP THREAD you posted on 9/16/16. Hope you did butter than me with UR MegaMillion plays today than Psyko did.......only hit $111.00 bucks w/5-plays today 9/16/16. the mega ball saved me again.   

New York, NY
        United States
        Member #140634
        March 23, 2013
        2964 Posts
        Posted: September 17, 2016, 5:20 am - IP Logged

I've seen people tip $50 for 1 straight ticket etc. If the guy tells me that someone bought 7 $10 scratch offs in a row and nothing, and tells me to take the next 2, and they have say $75 on them. Yeah I've given the guy $5 bucks and said thank you. Again, there's no demand for a tip, but it's whatever you think is right. You can't take it with you, and those guys do travel alot and work in different stores alot, so it's not like they set and comfortable etc.

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
          Brooklyn, NY
          United States
          Member #169723
          October 29, 2015
          877 Posts
          Posted: September 17, 2016, 10:20 am - IP Logged

I Agree! it depends on the circumstances. Just can't see how the clerk that sold me one ticket compared to all the other clerks that sold me many tickets should get a huge tip. Especially considering they did nothing more than all the other clerks.

In that case, give an amount and spread it around so each of them gets some.

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

Brooklyn, NY
            United States
            Member #169723
            October 29, 2015
            877 Posts
            Posted: September 17, 2016, 10:28 am - IP Logged

don't be a deplorable  "cheapo" Thud

Psyko knows no one on the Lottery Post would want to be considered a "cheapo" if he or she won a big  "jackpot" $$$. Tips all depends on what part of the US you play an/or win your "pot" prize. The percent     amount of tip you pay depends on the type of service you receive by your 711 lottery sales consultant!     example: was it excellent...very good...good...bad...ugly or so so...?? In the mid-west 15% to 20% is     about the norm to pay your consultant. On the east-coast a flat 20% is the standard. As you go on down south sister and brother you can crap on these people because, they git the lowest tips of all...y'all...so   all...y'all...come to south Florida and win ya all a big jackpot...ya hear cause, ya git good tax break too! 

LIFE JUST CAN'T GIT NO "BUTTER"

Considering if I won tonight's Powerball jackpot of $165.3 mil cash,  psyko, you must be phycho Crazy if you think I would give a 20% tip to the person or store that sold me a winning ticket. 

There's no way I would give them a $33,000,000 tip! Scared

I think they would be just as happy with $5000 or $1,000

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Brooklyn, NY
              United States
              Member #169723
              October 29, 2015
              877 Posts
              Posted: September 17, 2016, 10:33 am - IP Logged

I usually tip them a little to the left or a little to the right, just so they can stand straight. Good Posture is important!Wink

Funny! ClownGreen laugh

The Meatman

aux8b's avatar - home

United States
                Member #57793
                January 19, 2008
                2325 Posts
                Posted: September 17, 2016, 12:02 pm - IP Logged

Group Hug---------------  NO  ----------------------...

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                  u$a
                  United States
                  Member #106665
                  February 22, 2011
                  19794 Posts
                  Posted: September 17, 2016, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

They switch workers so much around here you wouldn't even know who sold you the winning ticket. No Nod

Let it Snow Snowman

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19825 Posts
                    Posted: September 17, 2016, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

The best tip you can give a clerk that sold you a ticket that won a large jackpot is to check if your former employer will be hiring someone to take your place. Banana

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                      Member #4877
                      May 30, 2004
                      5120 Posts
                      Posted: September 17, 2016, 4:10 pm - IP Logged

Considering if I won tonight's Powerball jackpot of $165.3 mil cash,  psyko, you must be phycho Crazy if you think I would give a 20% tip to the person or store that sold me a winning ticket. 

There's no way I would give them a $33,000,000 tip! Scared

I think they would be just as happy with $5000 or $1,000

MM:

People want people to think they are RICH so they buy cars that project WEALTH not proverty....houses that really project WEALTH, not proverty....Congrat's on UR $165.3 million jackpot win!!! The Lottery Post servers went off   line today and crashed, there's a post by Psykomo that sum dude named TheMeatman tipped the Circle K lottery  sales consultant....$33,000,000 big bucks after his WIN...."WOW" cried Psykomo enthusiastically" TheMeatman is really RICH>>>RICH>>>>really RICH>>>big RICH hot RICH....ThatMeatman tipped the rich "clerk".....$$$$$$

$33,000,000.oo $$$ USA DOLLAR$       

Brooklyn, NY
                        United States
                        Member #169723
                        October 29, 2015
                        877 Posts
                        Posted: September 17, 2016, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

MM:

People want people to think they are RICH so they buy cars that project WEALTH not proverty....houses that really project WEALTH, not proverty....Congrat's on UR $165.3 million jackpot win!!! The Lottery Post servers went off   line today and crashed, there's a post by Psykomo that sum dude named TheMeatman tipped the Circle K lottery  sales consultant....$33,000,000 big bucks after his WIN...."WOW" cried Psykomo enthusiastically" TheMeatman is really RICH>>>RICH>>>>really RICH>>>big RICH hot RICH....ThatMeatman tipped the rich "clerk".....$$$$$$

$33,000,000.oo $$$ USA DOLLAR$       

You're funny. Like a Clown. Ha ha

The Meatman

Brooklyn, NY
                          United States
                          Member #169723
                          October 29, 2015
                          877 Posts
                          Posted: September 17, 2016, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

The best tip you can give a clerk that sold you a ticket that won a large jackpot is to check if your former employer will be hiring someone to take your place. Banana

What about the tip....always take your umbrella when it's raining. Crazy

The Meatman

United States
                            Member #4877
                            May 30, 2004
                            5120 Posts
                            Posted: September 17, 2016, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

You're funny. Like a Clown. Ha ha

TMM:

THANK'$ for the ...."Big Tip"  PartyDanceParty

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
                              USA
                              United States
                              Member #152799
                              February 25, 2014
                              1092 Posts
                              Posted: September 17, 2016, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

Depends if I'm familiar with the clerk. If the ticket is purchased out of town/state than the chances are no but if it's a local person that I have dealt with prior then yes.