20-year-old Florida man claims $451M Mega Millions jackpot

Jan 12, 2018, 4:59 pm (97 comments)

Mega Millions

By Todd Northrop

He's not old enough to drink but he's $451 million richer.

A 20-year-old Florida man has come forward with the lone winning $451 million Mega Millions jackpot ticket from the January 5th drawing.

Shane Missler, who bought the winning Mega Millions ticket from a 7-Eleven in Port Richey, chose to claim a one-time, lump sum payment of $281.9 million.

"I'm only 20, but I hope to use it to pursue a variety of passions, help my family and do some good for humanity," Missler said in a news release from the Florida Lottery on Friday.

Missler said he wasn't surprised that he had won and that he had "a feeling" that he might.

When he realized he had won, he called his brother first.

On his Facebook page on Jan. 5, the evening of the drawing, Missler had also shared a brief post, "Oh. My. God."

He shared the news with his father over coffee the following day.

Missler will actually pocket $281,874,999.00 after taking the lump-sum payment for his winning ticket, according to the Florida Lottery.

The ticket was bought at the 7-Eleven at 7131 Ridge Rd. in Port Richey, which is is northwest of Tampa in Pasco County.

The winning numbers were: 28, 30, 39, 59, and 70, with Mega Ball number 10.

The $451 million jackpot started building from a $15 million starting point on Oct. 17, 2017. It took 23 consecutive drawings without a top prize winner to accumulate the massive jackpot.

Missler's winnings are the 6th-largest jackpot ever by a single lottery ticket.

Under a rules change that took effect on Oct. 31, Mega Millions now starts at a $40 million jackpot, and the jackpot grows a minimum of $5 million for each drawing that does not have a winner. The upcoming drawing on Friday night features a $45 million grand prize.

Mega Millions is currently offered for sale in 44 states, plus Washington, D.C. and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Drawings are Tuesdays and Fridays at 11:00 pm Eastern Time. Tickets cost $2 each.

The Mega Millions winning numbers are published at USA Mega (www.usamega.com) minutes after the drawing takes place.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

BEZ22's avatarBEZ22

What a wonderful blessing to  start off the new year.

Congratulations..

Macdawgg

20 yrs old and won and I've been playing for 40yrs and STILL can't win a lottery!

Oh well hopefully before I hit 90!

jacintasc

This boy. yep boy's life will be ruined. A 20 y/o lacks the life experience to fend off all the scam and con artists out there. When I was 20 I was in college and not playing the lotto. Eventually, LP will post horrible stuff that happened to him during his lifetime

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by jacintasc on Jan 12, 2018

This boy. yep boy's life will be ruined. A 20 y/o lacks the life experience to fend off all the scam and con artists out there. When I was 20 I was in college and not playing the lotto. Eventually, LP will post horrible stuff that happened to him during his lifetime

Skeptical time will spin a most curious yarn soon enough I reckon, I just wonder which "curse of the lottery" will befall him jejeje

but then he may surprise us all yet

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Quote: Originally posted by Macdawgg on Jan 12, 2018

20 yrs old and won and I've been playing for 40yrs and STILL can't win a lottery!

It will happen Mac, keep on buying and believing  Thumbs Up

lejardin's avatarlejardin

I agree we may be reading about his misfortune and being taken advantage of.  His age does not give him the experience to deal with such a tremendous amount of money.  Even at my age, I lack experience to handle such a tidy sum but gimme a try lol!

Good Luck to the winner and I mean that sincerely.  Maybe he needs to get off Facebook?

Artist77's avatarArtist77

I know I have always been naturally careful with money and I was in college also. He hopefully will have good common sense so he may not go too crazy with the money. Wisdom about money is not always age related. I come across more than a few over age 40 or  50 professionals who have massive debt and have not saved or invested a dime and they are dependant on their wages. And one does not need to know everything about a topic, but if he has the good sense to do the research and hire the experts, he will have a good chance of not blowing it all.

Most lp'ers know you have to do your homework if you have a major win.

music*'s avatarmusic*

Shane Missler has a little less than $175 million dollars to work with. He now needs excellent advice and professional help. Open the yellow pages, go online, ask friends and family for referrals. Shane is set for the rest of his life. He could live for another sixty to seventy years. Maybe he will welcome in the next Century. Congratulations to him and his family! Party

music*'s avatarmusic*

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Jan 12, 2018

I know I have always been naturally careful with money and I was in college also. He hopefully will have good common sense so he may not go too crazy with the money. Wisdom about money is not always age related. I come across more than a few over age 40 or  50 professionals who have massive debt and have not saved or invested a dime and they are dependant on their wages. And one does not need to know everything about a topic, but if he has the good sense to do the research and hire the experts, he will have a good chance of not blowing it all.

Most lp'ers know you have to do your homework if you have a major win.

I Agree! totally with Artist77. Homework is needed here.  was it a quick pick?

konane's avatarkonane

Congratulations Shane Missler on your jackpot! I wish you continued good luck and much wisdom throughout life. 

music*'s avatarmusic*

I just googled Florida taxes. Florida is one of seven states that have no income tax. That will leave Shane Missler with $175,500,000.00 

As long as he only makes small mistakes like going on Facebook he should be set for life. 

Prenups are mandatory here. 

Shane is already in Florida which is the destination of past winners. Wealth abounds there. But so are the sleaze and criminals too.

benjibanks's avatarbenjibanks

This is going to be a huge test for this kid.  He now has a target on his back and he also has to deal with unchecked self destructive desires. 

Many pitfalls await but if he has a solid foundation, he might might be a quick learner.

zephbe's avatarzephbe

Let's hope he listens to wise counsel and enjoy his winnings.  Don't write him off.

malin1257's avatarmalin1257

CONGRATS to Missler.  Agree with his pursuits, all except "do some good for humanity".  *&%# Humanity.  I would have   nothing for  "vulgar, vile, racist" humanity.

zephbe's avatarzephbe

Quote: Originally posted by music* on Jan 12, 2018

I Agree! totally with Artist77. Homework is needed here.  was it a quick pick?

One article said he bought 5 quick picks with $10 he'd won with a scratch-off.

music*'s avatarmusic*

Quote: Originally posted by zephbe on Jan 12, 2018

One article said he bought 5 quick picks with $10 he'd won with a scratch-off.

Thank You, zephbe. The best ten dollars he has ever spent!  Now, was that the last ten dollars left to his name? LOL 

I will continue placing my trust in quick picks. 70% of the winners are quick picks.

Cassie8620's avatarCassie8620

Quote: Originally posted by Macdawgg on Jan 12, 2018

my brothers late 20s and thirties 1 is early 50s said, "The kid will blow it."WOW.

I hope Shane do good for humanity. that is a #realadvocate real man to think this way.

My congrats being sent his way. and i hope he take GOOD care of his young parents i heard young only 40s

for which is not OLD yet, "older yea."but not old. I am hearing on FB he going to do that, family should come first.

MANY disagree about him sharing his info on a FB page, but i am sure he will/might help even those asking him strangers etc.al., i sure would!

I really would."

I hope he though donate such and also other good deeds as i would do for the homeless/no one should be homeless or the vets

and foster kids too.I sure would.  If not, he will lose it  in a few years.  and LOL @ Mac. Yep as my parent saying, today great job for him. But, yep some are just lucky. Others play for well just about 15 to 50 years ... Since 18 or as my dad buddy ince 21 so that's 61 yrs...My father's good buddy years ago, did win a few x jackpots over 5 to 30,000 he said on scratch offs. This is so nice though ...So congrats."Hurray!

fellini

Because of hs age, I feel he should of taking the annuity.

msmillionaire's avatarmsmillionaire

BananaHurray!DrumCONGRATULATIONS TO your Missler!!!!!!!!!WOW!!!!!WOW!!!!WOW!!!!Banana

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

WTG!!!! Shane!!!!

fellini

Lottery officials said the money will be paid to a trust, set up with Missler as the managing member, called “Secret 007, LLC.”

I wonder why he set up a trust to place the money in. It obviously wasn't so he could get the money anonymously.

music*'s avatarmusic*

Quote: Originally posted by fellini on Jan 13, 2018

Lottery officials said the money will be paid to a trust, set up with Missler as the managing member, called “Secret 007, LLC.”

I wonder why he set up a trust to place the money in. It obviously wasn't so he could get the money anonymously.

fellini, A lawyer can create a Revocable Living Trust instead of a will. A will leads to Probate after Shane dies. There is no need for Probate when a trust is used. 

Remember to fund the trust. A judge will force probate upon you if the trust is not funded correctly. Bring this up with your lawyer. 

I read that Shane created an LLC named, "Secret 007, LLC"  This is not a Trust. It is a Limited Liability Company.  I like the name of the LLC. 

Bed

quicksloth35

Congrats to this kid! If he plays his cards right, reaching billionaire status should be a walk in the park. At least, that's the direction I would go (putting all that money to work for me instead of piddling it all away on trying to impress others).

zephbe's avatarzephbe

Quote: Originally posted by fellini on Jan 12, 2018

I Agree!

jacintasc

Quote: Originally posted by fellini on Jan 12, 2018

I did not think of that! But you are absolutely RIGHT! Guaranteed income! that way he doesn't blow it. But I know that if I had won at 20 I would have made MANY mistakes. People that I thought were my friends were not my friends. Family members that I thought were awesome are not. I'm sure some pretty girl will come along and take him for a ride for sure.

greenemill

Congrats to the 20 year old . I just hope he don’t be in the news for past lottery winners who are broke list. He will make mistakes . He just have to learn from them he is only 20 and he must surround himself with good financial advisers, lawyers and accountants. Because he need them not only from the no good scamming people from his family and close friends they will hit him up for cash .

jacintasc

Quote: Originally posted by greenemill on Jan 13, 2018

Congrats to the 20 year old . I just hope he don’t be in the news for past lottery winners who are broke list. He will make mistakes . He just have to learn from them he is only 20 and he must surround himself with good financial advisers, lawyers and accountants. Because he need them not only from the no good scamming people from his family and close friends they will hit him up for cash .

I'm watching CBS This Morning right NOW! and they have ALL his Facebook photos splattered all over the NEWS!

msharkey2001's avatarmsharkey2001

Quote: Originally posted by quicksloth35 on Jan 13, 2018

Congrats to this kid! If he plays his cards right, reaching billionaire status should be a walk in the park. At least, that's the direction I would go (putting all that money to work for me instead of piddling it all away on trying to impress others).

Quicksloth, how would playing cards help? ♠?♣?♥?♦?

Saylorgirl's avatarSaylorgirl

Congratulations and Good Luck to this young man.  He has been given a gift and his life changed forever.  I hope he enjoys his adventure and keeps his boat steered on course.

Soledad

A house in Palm Beach sounds nice. I like the story of that other kid who started his own wrestling league. Follow your dreams.

He might have taken cash vs the annuity for investment reasons since many expect the stock market to have even bigger gains this year.

Quote: Originally posted by fellini on Jan 13, 2018

You can also use a trust vs a will to determine who gets what if you pass away. I have one and it is a living trust and will only be activated if I die or am permanently unable to care for myself. If you have a certain amount of assets, it is a good idea and allows up to a certain amount of your assets to avoid probate. I think it is around $5 million plus in Virginia. There are different types of trusts. If you win that large amount of money and get hit by a bus after leaving the lottery office, you want to cover who gets what ahead of time. If not, all the winnings would take years of going through probate and a judge would decide who gets what asset/ money.

music*'s avatarmusic*

I had not considered that my State could limit the amount of money that would be distributed through a Living Revocable Trust. You have to fund it properly.

I was thinking that Shane Missler may have enjoyed watching the local news do a feature on the store where his winning ticket was purchased. The day after the drawing. 

Shane does enjoy FaceBook. 

Quote: Originally posted by music* on Jan 13, 2018

I had not considered that my State could limit the amount of money that would be distributed through a Living Revocable Trust. You have to fund it properly.

I was thinking that Shane Missler may have enjoyed watching the local news do a feature on the store where his winning ticket was purchased. The day after the drawing. 

Shane does enjoy FaceBook. 

That is why when you set up a living trust, it includes a pour over will (assets outside of state trust max), medical directives, etc. So I hope Shane had all these things done. I think I read something once that some or all lotteries have you note where the money goes if you die before it hits your bank account.   But, I suppose noting it is to be distributed in accordance with my estate plans, might be sufficient. They would not be asking to see trust or will documents.

marcie's avatarmarcie

Congratulations to Shane my Sister's live in Port Richey next time I go visit her I will go to that 7 Eleven I wonder how he got his number's?

He can live just off the Interest alone. I hope he uses it wisely I wouldn't trust a Lawyer with my Money.

noise-gate

Your post reeks of jealousy. Just beczuse you were in college at the age of 20 and not playing the lottery, does not mean others should follow your lead. What are you thinking? When Gloria Mackenzie, the 80 plus year old won, some suggested that she was too old to be a winner. Now it's too young? As for LP posting " horrible stuff " about him during his lifetime..really, and you know this how? Give the kid some room, he might just surprise you.

Word to the wise: Alexander the Great ascended the throne at age 20, by the time he died in his early 30's, his empire stretched from Greece to India. 

JWBlue

He already made a huge mistake going public.

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by JWBlue on Jan 13, 2018

He already made a huge mistake going public.

Can one claim their lottery win Anonymously in Florida? Anyone, Anyone?

He is 20, he is thinking like a 20 year old. Think of this as his First GF. You want everyone to know you with someone, you seen holding hands, lots of pda. The guy is happy. Tell you what l like so far, he didn't show up on GMA the following day like the Robinsons with their attorney. He waited. Going public is not always a bad thing, especially in his case, why? Because he has the funds to have 2-4 bodyguards with him 24/7.Try approaching him with some BSon the street, and see if you not slammed against a concrete wall. How about them apples?

music*'s avatarmusic*

Quote: Originally posted by noise-gate on Jan 13, 2018

Can one claim their lottery win Anonymously in Florida? Anyone, Anyone?

He is 20, he is thinking like a 20 year old. Think of this as his First GF. You want everyone to know you with someone, you seen holding hands, lots of pda. The guy is happy. Tell you what l like so far, he didn't show up on GMA the following day like the Robinsons with their attorney. He waited. Going public is not always a bad thing, especially in his case, why? Because he has the funds to have 2-4 bodyguards with him 24/7.Try approaching him with some BSon the street, and see if you not slammed against a concrete wall. How about them apples?

noise-gate, What are, "lots of pda"?    Shane might not need security for the rest of his life but just to get him through these exciting times. 

It looks like Florida is relaxing their previous rule of, "no anonymity" for all winners. Gloria did not do the media availability but she was photographed by the Press leaving the Lottery Headquarters in Tallahassee, FL. Shane did neither. He did leave a statement. 

music*

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

I predict that people won't mind their own business LOL

Smash

noise-gate

noise-gate, What are, "lots of pda"?    Shane might not need security for the rest of his life but just to get him through these exciting times. 

It looks like Florida is relaxing their previous rule of, "no anonymity" for all winners. Gloria did not do the media availability but she was photographed by the Press leaving the Lottery Headquarters in Tallahassee, FL. Shane did neither. He did leave a statement. 

music*

PDA- Public Display of Affection..Music.

music*'s avatarmusic*

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Jan 13, 2018

Smash

I Agree! LOL.  Other people love to spend your money. Ask any politician. 

About minding one's own business. Gossip is a major occupier of peoples time.Green laugh

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Jan 13, 2018

Smash

They never do.

A lottery winner from my neck of the woods was outed on TV years ago. The following weeks he had  bags upon bags of mail dropped off at his home. Said that he lost count of the " fruit baskets" left at his door with letters requesting money for their children' college, homes in foreclosure, emergency surgeries etc etc. He ended leaving town for a quieter lifestyle away from the madness.

music*'s avatarmusic*

noise-gate,  People believe they are the only ones with a problem and a winner is the only hope they have left. It is a shame he had to move. John and Lisa Robinson from Munford, TN had to move from their neighborhood to a very beautiful home. I am sure that they miss their old neighbors.

music*'s avatarmusic*

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Jan 13, 2018

That is why when you set up a living trust, it includes a pour over will (assets outside of state trust max), medical directives, etc. So I hope Shane had all these things done. I think I read something once that some or all lotteries have you note where the money goes if you die before it hits your bank account.   But, I suppose noting it is to be distributed in accordance with my estate plans, might be sufficient. They would not be asking to see trust or will documents.

Artist77, Thank You for reminding me of a pour-over will, medical directives, etc. I will find a very competent legal adviser. Someone who knows the law. music*

noise-gate

noise-gate,  People believe they are the only ones with a problem and a winner is the only hope they have left. It is a shame he had to move. John and Lisa Robinson from Munford, TN had to move from their neighborhood to a very beautiful home. I am sure that they miss their old neighbors.

Word on the street is that the Robinsons imported alligators to fill that pond in front of their home, to ward off intruders who may decide to snorkel up to their front door. Have you seen their estate? It's huge...as Trump would say.

Messler is also active on Instagram and Twitter.

music*'s avatarmusic*

Word on the street is that the Robinsons imported alligators to fill that pond in front of their home, to ward off intruders who may decide to snorkel up to their front door. Have you seen their estate? It's huge...as Trump would say.

I guess that the Robinsons changed their plans as soon as reality hit and the got the check. Are you saying that they have enough security?  I googled their new home and was lead straight back to Lottery Post. Man, it is HUGE!! WOW!! 

Wink

One-Day

I FEEL like throwing away my money when buying QPs; especially now that the ticket is 2 dallas.  I like to be in control. :) The most I've won was $150 in 2003 Megamillions with 3 of my own numbers and the megaball.  Might try QPs for awhile.

rochelle73's avatarrochelle73

Congratulation!!!! young man may God continue to watch over you and your family when its your time to win its your time!!!!!!!!!

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by benjibanks on Jan 13, 2018

Messler is also active on Instagram and Twitter.

As he should be!  Expecting a 20 year old to go to ground is unrealistic. This kid is proving that this win is not going to turn his life upside down. What he is saying is, lm not going to hide, l will continue to do what l previously did. Which is to have fun. He's just out of his teen age years. You not expecting him to act like a 40 year old, are you? Come on!

As he should be!  Expecting a 20 year old to go to ground is unrealistic. This kid is proving that this win is not going to turn his life upside down. What he is saying is, lm not going to hide, l will continue to do what l previously did. Which is to have fun. He's just out of his teen age years. You not expecting him to act like a 40 year old, are you? Come on!

It was more of an observation than a judgement (but I do disagree with his choice).  People will be able to watch him spend his money with updates to their phones.  This will be an interesting experience, lottery winning in the post-privacy era.

zephbe's avatarzephbe

This is an article from his lawyer.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/Lawyer-charts-Florida-lottery-winner-s-future-Your-old-life-is-gone-_164483706

Saylorgirl's avatarSaylorgirl

Quote: Originally posted by zephbe on Jan 14, 2018

http://www.tampabay.com/news/Lawyer-charts-Florida-lottery-winner-s-future-Your-old-life-is-gone-_164483706

That was an interesting article, thanks for posting the link.

It was more of an observation than a judgement (but I do disagree with his choice).  People will be able to watch him spend his money with updates to their phones.  This will be an interesting experience, lottery winning in the post-privacy era.

I agree with you. Advertising your wealth over and over  in any public manner is asking for trouble. And you can do a private setting on facebook. Most, if not all advisors would have suggested he stop the public posts. There is a huge difference between saying I am 20 and I am not going to hide vs thinking a little more long term about the pros and cons of advertising his wealth.

Great article. Loved the part about wealth management vs investing. I recall more than one lottery winner who won hundreds of millions, saying they wanted to turn it into a billion (the Idaho winner I think). Just aim to maintain most of it.

music*'s avatarmusic*

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Jan 14, 2018

Great article. Loved the part about wealth management vs investing. I recall more than one lottery winner who won hundreds of millions, saying they wanted to turn it into a billion (the Idaho winner I think). Just aim to maintain most of it.

Brad Duke is the name of the Star, Idaho winner who wants to turn his $80 million into one billion dollars. He has adjusted his time frame and said that this is a lifelong quest.

The article on Shane Missler suggests kidnap and ransom insurance for very large jackpots.

I heard that you should manage your new found wealth like a college endowment fund. Maintain and preserve it. 

An unexpected vacation away from your homes will be required of winners of this size jackpot. The media and the followers of it will have moved on. 

Dance

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Zephbe......Great article and thanks for providing it. 

Here's one from an Atty here in the Dallas Texas area that conducted a claim for the 2011 MM winner.

www.prweb.com/releases/2011/7/prweb8654988.htm

DELotteryPlyr's avatarDELotteryPlyr

Luv this part of the story --

Walt Blenner is a Tampa Bay personal injury lawyer who also does some estate planning and recently fell into a niche of representing lottery winners

A personal injury lawyer turned lottery lawyer Green laugh

Chasing the lottery winner vs the ambulance Red Devil

music*'s avatarmusic*

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on Jan 14, 2018

Zephbe......Great article and thanks for providing it. 

Here's one from an Atty here in the Dallas Texas area that conducted a claim for the 2011 MM winner.

www.prweb.com/releases/2011/7/prweb8654988.htm

Thank You to both Zephbe and CDanaT,

These articles guide us toward the correct way to find expert and professional help. 

A Trust and Estate Attorney may help in finding the rest of the help we need. 

Group Hug

noise-gate

Benjibanks- No harm, no foul Big Smile. It's all about opinions & observations here.

Peace.

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by DELotteryPlyr on Jan 14, 2018

Luv this part of the story --

Walt Blenner is a Tampa Bay personal injury lawyer who also does some estate planning and recently fell into a niche of representing lottery winners

A personal injury lawyer turned lottery lawyer Green laugh

Chasing the lottery winner vs the ambulance Red Devil

Kinda like dentists doing face-lifts, to " expand " the business.The thinking is, It' involves  the jawline, the look- should be " no problem" since it' s all part of connective tissue. It's been done with disastrous consequences.

* On a side note: 2nd prize in the PB drawing last night was won by someone in Oregon. Hope it was you, yeah you Weshar75.

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by music* on Jan 14, 2018

Brad Duke is the name of the Star, Idaho winner who wants to turn his $80 million into one billion dollars. He has adjusted his time frame and said that this is a lifelong quest.

The article on Shane Missler suggests kidnap and ransom insurance for very large jackpots.

I heard that you should manage your new found wealth like a college endowment fund. Maintain and preserve it. 

An unexpected vacation away from your homes will be required of winners of this size jackpot. The media and the followers of it will have moved on. 

Dance

Brad is the one who hardly spends any of his lottery winnings, he is obsessd in turning it into a billion dollars. Last time l read, he purchased  a bicycle shop. I say, life is more than two wheels. Whenever l hear his story, l am reminded of Luke 12 : 16-20.

** That's just an opinion of course.

Another reminder is if you have a trust and estate attorney draft your trust agreement, he/she cannot then oversee the trust (managing the money or oversseeing the trust after you claim the money or in the case of a living trust, administer it after you die). It is viewed as a conflict of interest. When I put my assets into a living trust, I had to pick else someone to administer it (many decades into the future hopefully).

music*'s avatarmusic*

Thank You Artist77 for the reminder. I understand the conflict of interest. I will talk with friends, family, and others about this. Good Luck in your many decades of life in the future.

Dance

Quote: Originally posted by music* on Jan 14, 2018

Thank You Artist77 for the reminder. I understand the conflict of interest. I will talk with friends, family, and others about this. Good Luck in your many decades of life in the future.

Dance

Lol Monsieur Music Thank you. I know you understand conflicts of interest but others may not.

Goteki54's avatarGoteki54

Congrats to the kid. Big Smile I just goes to show that winning the lotto is pure dumb luck! Purely the luck of the draw. All I can say is that this guy better be careful when dating the ladies. They are going to be seeing some serious $$$ signs when looking at him!

music*'s avatarmusic*

Shane will now have many opportunities to date wealthy young women or even when the women will soon come into wealth through inheritance for example. There are gold diggers who see child support and alimony in Shane's wealth. Prenups are the rule before marriage or even a long-lasting friendship possibly. 

So I Agree! with you Goteki54 

Shane must study the lives of billionaires and get a clue how his life has changed.  The responsible billionaires. Not the party type. Argue

jacintasc

Your post reeks of jealousy. Just beczuse you were in college at the age of 20 and not playing the lottery, does not mean others should follow your lead. What are you thinking? When Gloria Mackenzie, the 80 plus year old won, some suggested that she was too old to be a winner. Now it's too young? As for LP posting " horrible stuff " about him during his lifetime..really, and you know this how? Give the kid some room, he might just surprise you.

Word to the wise: Alexander the Great ascended the throne at age 20, by the time he died in his early 30's, his empire stretched from Greece to India. 

I'm over 30 and still alive! and in good health and I have a job. All is good!

basil19

How great,I wish him well.Age has nothing to do with it, most winners are older and most turn out loosing it all, let's hope a younger person can manage it better.

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by jacintasc on Jan 14, 2018

I'm over 30 and still alive! and in good health and I have a job. All is good!

Right. He is under 30, still alive- looks in good health and doesn't NEED a job. All is very good! Big Smile

basil19

Have you said that about other winners who are older, but ended up in tragedy.People complain that only old people win, I'm sure he knows there are professionals to help him manage,hopefully hell manage it better than a young rich celebrity. He's probably born with a silver spoon in his mouth, who knows

basil19

Quote: Originally posted by lejardin on Jan 12, 2018

I agree we may be reading about his misfortune and being taken advantage of.  His age does not give him the experience to deal with such a tremendous amount of money.  Even at my age, I lack experience to handle such a tidy sum but gimme a try lol!

Good Luck to the winner and I mean that sincerely.  Maybe he needs to get off Facebook?

so your saying that all lottery winners that are older have done well with their winnings, because of  age LOL .I will like for him to teach all these older people who have failed.  Understand that age has nothing to do with it.

music*'s avatarmusic*

Quote: Originally posted by basil19 on Jan 14, 2018

so your saying that all lottery winners that are older have done well with their winnings, because of  age LOL .I will like for him to teach all these older people who have failed.  Understand that age has nothing to do with it.

Here in America the age requirement to buy a lottery ticket is 18 years or older. 

That saves us from the examples in Britain where a 16-year-old boy died after winning and a 16-year-old girl had suicide issues. Plus a seventeen-year-old sued Camelot, their lottery organization, for allowing her to play and win one million pounds.

Age does have something to do with it. 

Here in California an eighteen-year-old Senior in High School won and later in life was scammed out of most of it.

Criminals pay attention to winners and life experience matters. 

lejardin's avatarlejardin

Quote: Originally posted by basil19 on Jan 14, 2018

And where did I say that?  Stop putting words in my mouth and stop trying to create strife where there is none. 

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by Goteki54 on Jan 14, 2018

Congrats to the kid. Big Smile I just goes to show that winning the lotto is pure dumb luck! Purely the luck of the draw. All I can say is that this guy better be careful when dating the ladies. They are going to be seeing some serious $$$ signs when looking at him!

All I can say is that this guy better be careful when dating the ladies. They are going to be seeing some serious $$$ signs when looking at him!

" He's only 20,and l seriously doubt that dating the opposite sex is anything new to him.

He probably has been seeing girls, ladies, whatever you want to call them for sometime now.Now IF he did look like Sloth- the guy from the Goonies.

John Matuszak in The Goonies (1985)Then yeah, you'd  have a point Goteki54.
MotoX2

His facebook,twitter, and instragram account is flooded with comments.  He really needs to delete/private his accounts.  Congrats to him.

SoleWinner21

"The Power of Positive Thinking" - It seems he was a true believer according to his social media. Also noted, he  used the money he won from a previous scratch off to pay for the MM tickets. I hear that often from winner stories. He was riding his wave of luck. congrats Shane.

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

I am somewhat surprised that his legal adviser wasn't the collecting member of the 007 Trust, to give a bit more anonymity to his young client. Perhaps it was offered and the client didn't want to exercise that option <shoulder shrug>. The young man wins on a late Friday night, is able to get a team together, speak to them, creates a trust and collects 6 1/2 days later ?? I would have thought it would have taken at least 2-3 weeks or longer to effectively conduct all of these activities but maybe he already had a team in place. Doesn't matter at this point, the young man is rich beyond his desire and I wish him much peace & joy over his life. Be careful young fella, listen to your gut and always consult your legal representatives. Protect yourself at all times.

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on Jan 15, 2018

I am somewhat surprised that his legal adviser wasn't the collecting member of the 007 Trust, to give a bit more anonymity to his young client. Perhaps it was offered and the client didn't want to exercise that option <shoulder shrug>. The young man wins on a late Friday night, is able to get a team together, speak to them, creates a trust and collects 6 1/2 days later ?? I would have thought it would have taken at least 2-3 weeks or longer to effectively conduct all of these activities but maybe he already had a team in place. Doesn't matter at this point, the young man is rich beyond his desire and I wish him much peace & joy over his life. Be careful young fella, listen to your gut and always consult your legal representatives. Protect yourself at all times.

If his legal advisor drew up the trust instrument, normally someone else has to "implement" it. You can get yourself in trouble with your state bar if you do not separate those things.

fwlawrence's avatarfwlawrence

When I heard Florida, I thought a little 80 year old lady had won!

benir4u's avatarbenir4u

Quote: Originally posted by lejardin on Jan 12, 2018

Yes, you're right he does need to get off facebook and he should have gone anonymously rather than put himself out there.

music*'s avatarmusic*

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Jan 15, 2018

If his legal advisor drew up the trust instrument, normally someone else has to "implement" it. You can get yourself in trouble with your state bar if you do not separate those things.

Shane and his adviser created an LLC. I do not know if they also created a Revocable Living Trust.  I know that you know the following Artist77.. An LLC protects his assets. A Revocable Living Trust directs who will inherit his fortune in eighty or more years hopefully. Avoiding Probate. 

With $175 million I would ask my advisers about off-shore accounts. 

Shane also needs health care directives in case of illness, accidents, etc.

bgs$lotto

Quote: Originally posted by SoleWinner21 on Jan 15, 2018

"The Power of Positive Thinking" - It seems he was a true believer according to his social media. Also noted, he  used the money he won from a previous scratch off to pay for the MM tickets. I hear that often from winner stories. He was riding his wave of luck. congrats Shane.

I Agree!

Quote: Originally posted by music* on Jan 15, 2018

Shane and his adviser created an LLC. I do not know if they also created a Revocable Living Trust.  I know that you know the following Artist77.. An LLC protects his assets. A Revocable Living Trust directs who will inherit his fortune in eighty or more years hopefully. Avoiding Probate. 

With $175 million I would ask my advisers about off-shore accounts. 

Shane also needs health care directives in case of illness, accidents, etc.

I read numerous articles saying the money will be paid  to a trust run by Missler. A living trust can serve as an llc for a single member in most states. Those two things are not always mutually exclusive.

music*'s avatarmusic*

I read numerous articles saying the money will be paid  to a trust run by Missler. A living trust can serve as an llc for a single member in most states. Those two things are not always mutually exclusive.

A trust will only avoid probate and distribute his assets at death. I guess there could be a trust for health care purposes. I agree that each State is different. 

Shane needs asset protection today. Especially an umbrella insurance policy. This will pay his legal fees when he is sued. Accidents do occur. 

I think that an LLC will also provide protection against creditors. If those creditors are suing him falsely. Bogus lawsuits. I believe Shane named his LLC "agent 007" 

Naming an LLC is the fun part. You can be as creative as possible. There are rules to protect previous LLCs of other people. 

Offshore accounts are also providing asset protection.

A trust will only avoid probate and distribute his assets at death. I guess there could be a trust for health care purposes. I agree that each State is different. 

Shane needs asset protection today. Especially an umbrella insurance policy. This will pay his legal fees when he is sued. Accidents do occur. 

I think that an LLC will also provide protection against creditors. If those creditors are suing him falsely. Bogus lawsuits. I believe Shane named his LLC "agent 007" 

Naming an LLC is the fun part. You can be as creative as possible. There are rules to protect previous LLCs of other people. 

Offshore accounts are also providing asset protection.

I have several possible names for my future lottery trust.

music*'s avatarmusic*

I have several possible names for my future lottery trust.

I am thinking of, "Serenity Forever" but that could be too close to "Serenity Now". 

music*'s avatarmusic*

Shane will be enjoying tremendously investing in Stock Markets World Wide. He can buy real estate across America. And on and on...

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on Jan 15, 2018

"Be careful young fella, listen to your gut " - l would listen to my advisors and forget about the gut. Unless my advisors intend to ambush me with ill advised information. Remember George Custer? He " listened to his gut" and look what happened to him. The only time l pay 100% to my gut, is if it starts rumbling after a meal, for no apparent reason. Humor aside, this kid is 20, he is going to do what he wants to do. Could he make serious financial screw ups, yeah, like many adults far older than him.But he may also be a smart kid who " knows what he is doing." 

noise-gate
  • It's quite possible that this young man may have relatives who are in financial institutions. They along with he's advisors can & will navigate these financial waters quite capably & come out unscathed on the other side. Just because the standard line is " Young & foolish " that cannot be applied to all persons under 21. At least he has not used some of his money as of yet, to bail a drug dealing relative out of prison.Big Smile
music*'s avatarmusic*

Shane now has targets and arrows to practice with. If he is just beginning to learn about finance than his advisers can start to slowly teach him. 

He has so many advantages compared with Marie Holmes. It is like night and day. Marie is starting a new life in a different State and I wish her all the luck she needs now.

noise-gate, Would you invest in the U.S. Stock Market now? You could be jumping in when the pile is huge. You might be buying high and then sometime in the near future sell low. Exactly the wrong way.  Foreign Exchanges may be a better play. 

Dance

Maybe Shane can date someone named "hot Pepper" vs "Hot sauce" for Marie Holmes. Lol

fwlawrence's avatarfwlawrence

Shane now has targets and arrows to practice with. If he is just beginning to learn about finance than his advisers can start to slowly teach him. 

He has so many advantages compared with Marie Holmes. It is like night and day. Marie is starting a new life in a different State and I wish her all the luck she needs now.

noise-gate, Would you invest in the U.S. Stock Market now? You could be jumping in when the pile is huge. You might be buying high and then sometime in the near future sell low. Exactly the wrong way.  Foreign Exchanges may be a better play. 

Dance

Shane now has a target on his back, and arrows aimed at him.

Bleudog101

Slightly off subject, but something about 20 something year olds from Florida.  A 26 year old from Orlando just won $1 million on a slot machine in Las Vegas according to their newspaper.

music*'s avatarmusic*

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Jan 16, 2018

Maybe Shane can date someone named "hot Pepper" vs "Hot sauce" for Marie Holmes. Lol

Artist77, your thread reminded me of New York doorman Richie Randazzo (may he RIP) and his beautiful Swedish girlfriend. Richie was a doorman on Park Ave. They broke up soon after meeting each other. 

I guess that God wanted to talk to Richie soon after winning. 

N9NEther720's avatarN9NEther720

The universe lined up for him! Congrats Shane!

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story