Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 5:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

$500 million jackpot...when?

Topic closed. 52 replies. Last post 14 years ago by Calscorp.

Page 4 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

The 1st $500m jackpot (in ANY game)?

2003 [ 13 ]  [40.62%]
2004 [ 5 ]  [15.62%]
2005 [ 6 ]  [18.75%]
2006 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
2007 or later, or never [ 8 ]  [25.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 32 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 6 ]  
Calscorp's avatar - dnk st
Bakersfield
United States
Member #1568
May 24, 2003
421 Posts
Posted: July 9, 2003, 9:47 am - IP Logged

If omeone wins tonight, would you prefer to see one winner or several? In Ca. people hate it when only one person wins.

Thomas Covenant's avatar - money
    South Carolina
    United States
    Member #491
    July 16, 2002
    837 Posts
    Posted: July 9, 2003, 9:59 am - IP Logged

I would prefer it to be me.

Okay, now I believe you can predict lottery numbers

Bakersfield
      United States
      Member #1568
      May 24, 2003
      421 Posts
      Posted: July 9, 2003, 1:36 pm - IP Logged

Ok. So, let's suppose you win.  Tell me what you are going to do.  Have you figured it out in advance how you will handle it.  I mean it is going to totally blow you away. I heard you should take a couple of weeks or a month and do nothing.  Let the shock wear off a little.  Do you agree? And would you consult a financial advisor?

Thomas Covenant's avatar - money
        South Carolina
        United States
        Member #491
        July 16, 2002
        837 Posts
        Posted: July 9, 2003, 1:57 pm - IP Logged

If I win tonight, tomorrow morning I would be on the phone looking for a good tax attorney(also I would take a trip to the bank to put the ticket in a safety deposit box) The attorney will set up the trust so I could collect the money without having my name splattered all over everywhere. I would use the attorney to set up interviews with bankers and financial advisors. After that I would pretty much follow the advice of the attorney, bankers, financial advisors. I would wait until I found out exactly what I had and have it safely invested before I made any major purchases.I want to make sure I had enough to last my lifetime and my children's lifetimes. While it would be hard to go broke with that much money, it's possible.

Okay, now I believe you can predict lottery numbers

Bakersfield
          United States
          Member #1568
          May 24, 2003
          421 Posts
          Posted: July 9, 2003, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

Very well thought out.But most people have never considered what they would do if they won.  You have to have a plan or you are going to lose it all in foolish spending.  And heaven for bid you owe back child-support.  Do they do that out there? Back taxes and child-support .  They have already staked a claim befoe you get it.  I would definitely do what you would do. Very sound advice. I want to make sure my children (even though they ar grown) are wel taken care of.

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
            Pennsylvania
            United States
            Member #1340
            April 6, 2003
            2450 Posts
            Posted: July 9, 2003, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

All I have left to do is win the darn jackpot... the rest of the plan is already made, all done the research in the type of trust needed to remain anonymous (Personal Property Trust), right down to exactly which financial planner to consult ;-)

now come on MUSL, pick my numbers!

Bakersfield
              United States
              Member #1568
              May 24, 2003
              421 Posts
              Posted: July 9, 2003, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

Cool.  I haven't gotten that far.  I do read the articles giving advice.  We get a little lotto magazine each month in the stores. It always has a little article on what to do if you win. And there is a book I want to purchase.  It is called, Sudden Money, by Susan Bradley. She is a certified financial planner.  I figure every bit of knowledge you pick up helps.  You have to figure on inflation, too.

Bakersfield
                United States
                Member #1568
                May 24, 2003
                421 Posts
                Posted: July 11, 2003, 9:16 am - IP Logged

Hmmmmm  Article in paper today : Both sides eye a future without Davis.  Possible cure for Gov Gray Davis' recall headache. Resign. Quit. Clear out your desk.  Quitting now would bring the rcall effort to a screeching halt and derail Republicana' plans to hijack the governor's for Darrell Isa, Arnold Schwarzenegger,or somebody else with a more conservative bent.

I say get him out.  Put someone in that will give us powerball!!!!!!