|Posted: May 20, 2005, 5:21 am - IP Logged|
I am sending this letter to the State Lottery... wonder if they will write me back..
My name is Kris. I have been playing the lottery for several years now, and I have just found out something that undermines my confidence in the lottery. I do not understand why a computer has to select the winning lottery numbers for three games rather than using a normal ball-and-machine selection process. I myself am a computer programmer, and unfortunately, there are MANY ways someone could “hack” into the system and produce malicious results.
These are some ways that the system could produce results that may look random, but in truth are not:
- The programmer (or programmers) could insert malicious code into the program, and anyone who does not know what computer code looks like would not see any difference in any results, other than the fact that someone the person or persons they are in concert with could have “inside information” and gain an advantage over other players.
- Even if the system used to produce the winning numbers is not connected to any other system (or a network, an intranet, etc.), it could be hacked into by someone who needs to perform routine maintenance on the system.
- The code could be flawed, producing results that could favor certain numbers over others, regardless of how many times the system is checked for supposed “randomness.”
- Random Number Generators are NOT random, once again, regardless of the fact of how many times it is tested for “randomness”.
- Here is the worst part: The computer could look for combinations of numbers that have NOT been played and simply select those numbers, thereby paying out -0- in prize money, and people not wanting to play because it seems like they can’t win (and they would be right, too).
I have not been playing Fantasy 5 & Keno! since I found this out, and that will continue. I will also NOT be playing Classic Lotto 47 until ALL of these games are using a ball-and-machine drawing process, which is a PHYSICAL & AUDITABLE means of conducting FAIR & BALANCED drawings. I also think that just displaying the numbers every night instead of seeing a live drawing is ludicrous. If you don’t think you have time to display all of the drawings, be like Ohio and conduct all of the drawings at once… For example, while Daily 3 & 4 are being drawn, drop & mix Fantasy 5 & Classic Lotto 47, and draw them as soon as Daily 4 is finished drawing. Draw Keno! just before the TV broadcast, just like what used to happen.
I urge you to make changes to the number “selection” process, because as long as the numbers are being “selected” and not “drawn”, Myself and hundreds, if not THOUSANDS of other people across the state will no longer play these games.