Includes video report
BRAINTREE, Mass. — A lottery winner has come forward in Boston and claimed the $32 million Mega Millions jackpot from the Fri., Aug. 19, 2011 drawing.
The $32 million winner was introduced at a news conference on Tuesday.
The newest multi-millionaire in Massachusetts is a 47-year-old man who lives in Dorchester.
He used to be a record keeper, but has been unemployed ever since he was laid off.
Candido Oliveira bought a single Quick Pick ticket last week for Mega Millions, matching all five numbers for the $32 million jackpot.
"I'm glad somebody in the neighborhood finally won it," said Gary Staples, neighbor. "It's always elsewhere."
"He's a nice guy, very hardworking. I'm happy for him. I wish him the best of luck," said a woman.
The store owner gets $50,000 for selling the winning ticket, and already plans to give most of it away.
"I'm going to pay some bills, I'm going to take care of my employees also and a big portion is going to go back to the community," said Hani El-Shurafa, store owner.
Oliveira says he's been very calm ever since the moment he found out.
"I feel good. The first thing is to take care of my family, my friends...do good things," said Oliveira.
"He actually called me at work and told me the news and I couldn't believe him because he always likes to joke around. I got home and he showed me the ticket," said Edite Monteiro, Oliveira's girlfriend.
Oliveira's girlfriend says she will be quitting her job at the registry.