Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 7:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Straight-only option for Prediction Pages

Topic closed. 55 replies. Last post 12 years ago by CalifDude.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
four4me's avatar - gate1
MD
United States
Member #1701
June 18, 2003
8364 Posts
Posted: May 15, 2005, 4:43 pm - IP Logged

If this were my site and i was running a prediction board everybody would be limited to no more than 10 bets for each game. The idea that some members can post up to 50 bets per game is just not realistic. people arent playing 50 numbers per game but they can post 50 numbers to see if they get lucky enough to win. If everybody were only allowed to pick 10 picks per draw then that would be a level playing field. I cant compete with 10 picks against someone who posts 50 picks on a day to day basis. The person picking 50 numbers per game has a greater advantage over my 10 picks. And i'm not saying this because paid members are privledged. I'm saying this because it's not an equal advantage. Even if i were a paid member i wouldn't post more picks than i would normally play.

Gosh if people were allowed to they would post all 1000 pick 3's and all 10000 pick4's. Of cource this ain't my site and Todd can do whatever he wants.  

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23275 Posts
    Posted: May 15, 2005, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

I think that thread asks about stats, not the winners page, so I'm not sure people are responding to that question.

I can just tell you the way I personally feel about it:  If I am lucky enough to get a hit, I would personally want to be included on that day's winner page without being filtered off.  I have always viewed that page as the "trophy page" for predictors.

There are times when my personal feelings on something are different from the majority, so it's quite possible that I'm off-base on this one.  If that's the case, I'd be willing to go along with what people want.  However, any poll on this would have to mention the specific page in question, and would have to mention that your wins could be filtered off the page if you post your picks using the all states feature.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Bryan's avatar - Lottery-002.jpg
      Mid-Missouri
      United States
      Member #644
      August 31, 2002
      4271 Posts
      Posted: May 15, 2005, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

Sorry Todd,

I changed my message above becuase it was for a different page than the winner's page. I was talking about the Top predictors page in the other message. I agree a win is a win. I wouldn't change that. But would see love to see a filter put on the Top Predictor's stats for individual states posting. On the winner's page could you add a column that tells what number was actually drawn was so we can see what the number was they won with? I'm just throwing out ideas I've wondered about before.

Thanks for listenng...

Bryan  :)

United States
        Member #1826
        July 11, 2003
        2645 Posts
        Posted: May 15, 2005, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

I certainly consider all suggestions, but my feeling is that offering different betting options to the predictions would change the intent of the page, even if individuals would be happy with the increased options.  The page is intended as a level playing field, where every bet is equal, allowing optimum comparisons between predictors.

I do not want the page to turn into something where different statistics are disputed because someone contends that they bet differently, and so they were slighted, over that someone got an unfair edge, etc., etc.  You may not think those things will happen, but trust me, they will.  I was a watchful observer of the old maybells site, and I learned a lot from that site's demise.

I would propose an alternative approach:  rather than changing the options when inputting the numbers, perhaps we can show a statistics page showing straight hits.  Or maybe there can be a filter on the winner's page showing just straight hits.  Those things would be useful for someone looking for a predictor who does well with straight hits in particular, yet does not introduce an unfair or unbalanced element into the prediction process.

I'm not saying I would definitely create those things, but I'm throwing it out there as an idea.

For JS9's post, there are lotto predictions - for every regular lotto game in the USA - so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

I mean I want to be able to filter out all of the pick-3 and pick-4 games.

(insert signature here)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19831 Posts
          Posted: May 15, 2005, 6:35 pm - IP Logged

If this were my site and i was running a prediction board everybody would be limited to no more than 10 bets for each game. The idea that some members can post up to 50 bets per game is just not realistic. people arent playing 50 numbers per game but they can post 50 numbers to see if they get lucky enough to win. If everybody were only allowed to pick 10 picks per draw then that would be a level playing field. I cant compete with 10 picks against someone who posts 50 picks on a day to day basis. The person picking 50 numbers per game has a greater advantage over my 10 picks. And i'm not saying this because paid members are privledged. I'm saying this because it's not an equal advantage. Even if i were a paid member i wouldn't post more picks than i would normally play.

Gosh if people were allowed to they would post all 1000 pick 3's and all 10000 pick4's. Of cource this ain't my site and Todd can do whatever he wants.  

As a standard member (free - 10 posts/game/day) I've been on some of the charts several times.  The charts compare hits with the number of predictions and money spent so that levels the field.  If anything, the person that have the fewest predictions has an advantage on the charts because his wins count more when compared to his number of predictions.  As a standard none paying member of this forum, I can't complain about the additional privileges given to members who are willing to support this site with some money. 

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            8364 Posts
            Posted: May 15, 2005, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

As a standard member (free - 10 posts/game/day) I've been on some of the charts several times.  The charts compare hits with the number of predictions and money spent so that levels the field.  If anything, the person that have the fewest predictions has an advantage on the charts because his wins count more when compared to his number of predictions.  As a standard none paying member of this forum, I can't complain about the additional privileges given to members who are willing to support this site with some money. 

RJOh

RJOH i'm not complaining about anything and i quite well understand how the stats pages work. As an example fast eddie was able to catch up to me in two months with his picks when he was posting 50 numbers. Grant it we were both hitting the same states almost but because he had the ability to post 40 more numbers than me he was able to hit in more states on a regular basis. I haven't checked latley but BobP and i were neck and neck for the longest while then he stopped posting numbers.  I'm not saying any of this because i am in competition with anyone but just comparing posters whom have the same or about the same dollar amount spent as i have. I clearly would show better averages if i were standing in the same line as people whom only were posting 10 picks each for pick 3 and 4 games. About the only way my above all average would be in line with other posters would be for me to up my subscription and post more numbers. But i'm not going to post more than ten numbers either way. So i guess i'll crawl back to my corner now and hope i hit a lot of straights or that my 10 picks hit in multiple states evey week.

Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23275 Posts
              Posted: May 15, 2005, 9:48 pm - IP Logged

If this were my site and i was running a prediction board everybody would be limited to no more than 10 bets for each game. The idea that some members can post up to 50 bets per game is just not realistic. people arent playing 50 numbers per game but they can post 50 numbers to see if they get lucky enough to win. If everybody were only allowed to pick 10 picks per draw then that would be a level playing field. I cant compete with 10 picks against someone who posts 50 picks on a day to day basis. The person picking 50 numbers per game has a greater advantage over my 10 picks. And i'm not saying this because paid members are privledged. I'm saying this because it's not an equal advantage. Even if i were a paid member i wouldn't post more picks than i would normally play.

Gosh if people were allowed to they would post all 1000 pick 3's and all 10000 pick4's. Of cource this ain't my site and Todd can do whatever he wants.

As a standard member (free - 10 posts/game/day) I've been on some of the charts several times. The charts compare hits with the number of predictions and money spent so that levels the field. If anything, the person that have the fewest predictions has an advantage on the charts because his wins count more when compared to his number of predictions. As a standard none paying member of this forum, I can't complain about the additional privileges given to members who are willing to support this site with some money.

RJOh

RJOH i'm not complaining about anything and i quite well understand how the stats pages work. As an example fast eddie was able to catch up to me in two months with his picks when he was posting 50 numbers. Grant it we were both hitting the same states almost but because he had the ability to post 40 more numbers than me he was able to hit in more states on a regular basis. I haven't checked latley but BobP and i were neck and neck for the longest while then he stopped posting numbers. I'm not saying any of this because i am in competition with anyone but just comparing posters whom have the same or about the same dollar amount spent as i have. I clearly would show better averages if i were standing in the same line as people whom only were posting 10 picks each for pick 3 and 4 games. About the only way my above all average would be in line with other posters would be for me to up my subscription and post more numbers. But i'm not going to post more than ten numbers either way. So i guess i'll crawl back to my corner now and hope i hit a lot of straights or that my 10 picks hit in multiple states evey week.

Well, I hate to disagree with you so much lately, but I do sometimes play more than 10 numbers -- sometimes 20 or 30 -- so posting more than 10 is very realistic. Also, posting predictions is often not done to match exactly with what you would PLAY. Some people post more picks than they would play, because they are posting a POOL of likely numbers, that others can choose from.

Fast Eddie's ability to catch up to you with 50 picks is a testament to his abilities, and is not some unfair advantage. RJOh is exactly right about it being much HARDER to get good stats as you post more picks.

Lastly, I do not think that any one person corners the market on good vs. bad strategies, so why not offer more CHOICES to people, rather than to say that "everyone is limited to 10 picks". Why is 10 picks good? Why not 5? 1?

Bottom line is that 50 is a great number for many reasons, and I may actually raise that number for Platinum members.

Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23275 Posts
                Posted: May 15, 2005, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

Sorry Todd,

I changed my message above becuase it was for a different page than the winner's page. I was talking about the Top predictors page in the other message. I agree a win is a win. I wouldn't change that. But would see love to see a filter put on the Top Predictor's stats for individual states posting. On the winner's page could you add a column that tells what number was actually drawn was so we can see what the number was they won with? I'm just throwing out ideas I've wondered about before.

Thanks for listenng...

Bryan  :)

Yes, I need to add something showing the actual number drawn, thanks for reminding me!

Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23275 Posts
                  Posted: May 15, 2005, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

I certainly consider all suggestions, but my feeling is that offering different betting options to the predictions would change the intent of the page, even if individuals would be happy with the increased options.  The page is intended as a level playing field, where every bet is equal, allowing optimum comparisons between predictors.

I do not want the page to turn into something where different statistics are disputed because someone contends that they bet differently, and so they were slighted, over that someone got an unfair edge, etc., etc.  You may not think those things will happen, but trust me, they will.  I was a watchful observer of the old maybells site, and I learned a lot from that site's demise.

I would propose an alternative approach:  rather than changing the options when inputting the numbers, perhaps we can show a statistics page showing straight hits.  Or maybe there can be a filter on the winner's page showing just straight hits.  Those things would be useful for someone looking for a predictor who does well with straight hits in particular, yet does not introduce an unfair or unbalanced element into the prediction process.

I'm not saying I would definitely create those things, but I'm throwing it out there as an idea.

For JS9's post, there are lotto predictions - for every regular lotto game in the USA - so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

I mean I want to be able to filter out all of the pick-3 and pick-4 games.

Yes, you can do that right now.

Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #15460
                    May 15, 2005
                    131 Posts
                    Posted: May 15, 2005, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

should make a program that takes out sequence of 4 numbers 1234, 4653, etc...

program takes out 2-of-a-kinds and 3-of-a-kinds and 4-of-a-kinds

program makes sure if the 4 digits has a low and a high end so if 3 numbers r low there shall be a high number lets say 0-5 is low and 6-9 is high... so 1239, 1438 -- same with reversal 6837, 9672, etc...

program takes out completely even and odd... 2468, 8462 -- 1357, 9375,etc...

find all the numbers after all this and see how many u can box and how many u can only play straight...

thats all i got so far for making a program to get down to a low amout of numbers...

this should help if anyone comes out with the answer to this email me at HottKaoZ@hotmail.com

Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23275 Posts
                      Posted: May 15, 2005, 9:53 pm - IP Logged

should make a program that takes out sequence of 4 numbers 1234, 4653, etc...

program takes out 2-of-a-kinds and 3-of-a-kinds and 4-of-a-kinds

program makes sure if the 4 digits has a low and a high end so if 3 numbers r low there shall be a high number lets say 0-5 is low and 6-9 is high... so 1239, 1438 -- same with reversal 6837, 9672, etc...

program takes out completely even and odd... 2468, 8462 -- 1357, 9375,etc...

find all the numbers after all this and see how many u can box and how many u can only play straight...

thats all i got so far for making a program to get down to a low amout of numbers...

this should help if anyone comes out with the answer to this email me at HottKaoZ@hotmail.com

Deflate 4 can do all that stuff right now!

Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #15460
                        May 15, 2005
                        131 Posts
                        Posted: May 15, 2005, 10:08 pm - IP Logged

=/ i dunno how to use it to do all that stuff i just wrote down... todd help plzzz

i usually just use Dev C++

Chief Bottle Washer
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #1
                          May 31, 2000
                          23275 Posts
                          Posted: May 15, 2005, 10:09 pm - IP Logged

=/ i dunno how to use it to do all that stuff i just wrote down... todd help plzzz

i usually just use Dev C++

Just go to the page and read the instructions at the bottom.  Let me know if you need help with any of the instructions there.

Michigan
                            United States
                            Member #15460
                            May 15, 2005
                            131 Posts
                            Posted: May 15, 2005, 10:20 pm - IP Logged

i dont think i am goin to use it up just to figure it out i only have 19 trys left...by the time i figured it out i would get to zero

Chief Bottle Washer
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #1
                              May 31, 2000
                              23275 Posts
                              Posted: May 15, 2005, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

Hmmm.... That doesn't make too much sense.

"I'm not going to try the free uses I have, because I would use up all the free tries trying to figure it out."

Well, what if you figured it out by the fifteenth try?