Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

.......if you won 500 million

Topic closed. 56 replies. Last post 11 years ago by delS.

Page 4 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

you set a new record winning half a billion what do you do?

retire [ 10 ]  [13.51%]
keep working [ 3 ]  [4.05%]
buy your own island [ 1 ]  [1.35%]
build your dream house [ 8 ]  [10.81%]
start a rare car collection [ 2 ]  [2.70%]
invest your money [ 13 ]  [17.57%]
go on a long vacation [ 2 ]  [2.70%]
donate to charity [ 5 ]  [6.76%]
travel the world [ 11 ]  [14.86%]
other [ 19 ]  [25.68%]
Total Valid Votes [ 74 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 11 ]  
BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
Magnolia, Delaware
United States
Member #18795
July 20, 2005
789 Posts
Posted: September 22, 2005, 9:53 am - IP Logged

Smoggy Riverside, Calif. YUCK! Redondo Beach, and the strand on a Friday night, Now those were the days. All those Beautiful Tan Blonde's roaming around in bikinis....... Man-O-Man!!! I spent many a night in the Blue Moon Saloon partying my butt off and dancing the night away with a few of them beautiful tan blonde's..... The 80's were the greatest in southern calif. I lived in Long Beach, Huntington Beach and had freinds in Torrance and Palo Verde's. The friends in Palo as we called it, lived down the street from the Bell and the Navel station just 100 yards from the light house on the cliffs. Like I said before the 80's rocked.

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

Sparta, NJ
    United States
    Member #18331
    July 9, 2005
    1977 Posts
    Posted: September 22, 2005, 1:24 pm - IP Logged

Chewie, let me ask you something. Why in gods name would they want to do that for? Those people worked for everything they got! Their talent and their agents got them the huge sums of money for their movies and appearances and stuff alike! Who gave you the right to say they should do this or that with their freaking money! My god man, Oprah worked very hard to get where she is and don't think for one minute she doesn't, you try running your own production company like hers! She had some good advisor's when she started out with her new company! And she made it when everything could have gone the other way!

And now let me just make one more thing clear here, that 300 billion that could be put up by the government, IS EVERY MAN, WOMEN AND CHILD'S MONEY BEING PUT UP, IT'S THE PEOPLES MONEY (borrowed money from the world bank).  YOU AND I AND EVERYONE ELSE IS GOING TO BE PAYING FOR THAT AND DON'T FORGET, SO ARE OUR CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN! 

I'm sorry people but I'm so freaking sick of hearing give this, give that, to the people of NO. I'm not insensitive or anything, but eneough is enough already. Why not go after the owners of Wal-Mart, can you believe it they only gave 2 million in cash, when that freaking company is raking in billions every year! So Chewie take your cries for money to the corporations that do business in the United States and tell them to put up 10% of their hard earned earnings and see what they'll tell you to do or where you can go!

Actually, you are one hundred percent right. Why would some one, say Oprah, for example, want to give. Surely not because they probably have more then her next 4000 generations will ever need.

Work hard? I feel I work hard and I have lines asking me to give. When I give, it impacts my life. I don't have 50 assistants, chauffers, security around my property. I don't spend thousands in energy to light up my yard for a three-day birthday party. I have yet to dedicate a complete show to a store who failed to open their doors after hours, so I could shop for $6K purses. Oprah does. When Oprah gives, it makes zero dent. When her "charities" give, it makes zero dent to her. I have no problem with Her Higness. I do have a problem with Her Sainthood.

She is the symbol of the left-wing liberals who think they have the 100% right to put sensitivity on their side, always complaining about the wealth of a "corporation" - when they have heavy (profit making) investments in those corporations. They're just looking for publicity or free access to some Hollywood night spot. or some award show, so that get their hands on Goody-Bags. Just as yo like to reference the "taxpayers" as men, women, etc., remember, those coporate heads are people too. The only ones making as much as Oprah are those invited to her special parties. The rest work for a living.

John Travolta flew his own plane to NO, filled with food and water. Helped On-load and off-load. gWhere were those elites? Taking pictures and then leaving.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Magnolia, Delaware
      United States
      Member #18795
      July 20, 2005
      789 Posts
      Posted: September 22, 2005, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

And what about your Sainthood Chewie? And I quote "I feel I work hard and I have lines asking me to give. When I give, it impacts my life". unquote

Again who are you to tell others to give 10% of their earnings to anyone? Do you give and I mean all the time 10% of your gross earnings to your church? I can bet you don't! Not many average people of moderate incomes in the United States do! So Chewie, until you give 10% of your gross earnings to your church you have no right to tell other people how much they are to give! Oh Chewie that means if you have two incomes in your household you are to give 10% of the combined gross earnings to the church. Gross earnings mean before all the taxes and the other deductions come out of your check!

Blaine WA
        United States
        Member #17275
        June 15, 2005
        117 Posts
        Posted: September 22, 2005, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

it is true  people who have earned large amounts of money are entitled to do with it as they please.

what gets me though, is their plea that all should give percentages of their incomes to the highly discussed emergencies of the time.

for people who are already below the poverty level to give anything (which many of them do) really affects their lives, when some of the wealthly, such as has been named in these posts, say to the world they have done this and given so much, when most likely their donations did not even touch the principal of their investements, and so has very little effect on their lifestyles.

and i suspect their solicitations are tax deductable

this probably sounds angry which it is not, just observations.

the odds do not mean much to those who win the jackpot

New Mexico
          United States
          Member #12305
          March 10, 2005
          2984 Posts
          Posted: September 22, 2005, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

It might be a worthy cause to help the New Orleans folks by buying the NO French Quarter at whatever the going price is today, haul it by rail to San Marcial, New Mexico, on the Rio Grande.  That's a town been wiped out by floods several times until it was finally abandoned.

Haul it there, reconstruct it brick by brick, and wait for the next frog strangler.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

Sparta, NJ
            United States
            Member #18331
            July 9, 2005
            1977 Posts
            Posted: September 22, 2005, 10:10 pm - IP Logged

10%? I never mentioned 10%. I mentioned giving 1/5 of what the elite give. In this case, Her Holiness, the elite, makes $500M a year. Considering the jackpot was around $100M. 1/5th seems like a reasonable proportion. Assuming a five year total, thats 2.5 Billion dollars. How much I gave is a diversion, it has nothing to do with Her Greatness milking a tragedy for a photo opportunity.

Who am I to voice my opinion? Gees, I donno, maybe just an American exercising his rights. I seem to notice you had no problem saying Her Royality can spend her money any way she wanted to, but bad mouthed the WaltMart Execs for being selfish. Amazing how selective memory lapse works. 

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Magnolia, Delaware
              United States
              Member #18795
              July 20, 2005
              789 Posts
              Posted: September 22, 2005, 11:34 pm - IP Logged

Well Chewie, I stand to be corrected anyway about the total amount that Wal-Mart and Sam's Club is giving! I saw tonight while at Sam's Club between the two they have given 20 million to the Katrina victims. OK your right again, you said 1/10. But isn't 1/10 the same as 10%? It takes 10/10 to make a whole of something, so to me 1/10=10%.

Now for the bad mouthing part. Now Chewie, bad mouthing a corporation as a whole is different than, lets say, picking on an individual(s) as you did! Now Chewie, who here has the selective memory! Mine wasn't selective memory lapse, not at all! What I said was directed at whom I wanted it directed at! On the other hand you Chewie made a list of whom you wanted to attack (Jen, Ben and a few others). I would rather direct an attack at a corporation than an individual. Chewie, when attacking an individual you could be sued for slander. But for that to happen by a corporation, (to sue me) they would have to prove what I said cause them harm/ loss of revenue and nothing of the sort would ever happen from my statement! Big Grin 

New Mexico
                United States
                Member #12305
                March 10, 2005
                2984 Posts
                Posted: September 22, 2005, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

Is that dollars or pounds sterling? Let's assume pounds sterling.

1) Buy...no, have designed and built my dream house.

2) Set up my immediate relatives for life.

3) Build an opera house in Harrogate (modelled on the one at Bayreuth - I'm a Wagner fanatic).

4) Invest whatever's left and live like a king.

That opera house thing's a pretty cool idea.  I could talk myself into building an opera with a piece of that kind of loot if they were willing to take the annuity.

Jack

Egos don't count.

New Mexico
                  United States
                  Member #12305
                  March 10, 2005
                  2984 Posts
                  Posted: September 22, 2005, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

what would you do if you won a record half a billion dollar jackpot?

1. Pay off all our debts (mortgage, car loan, school loan.

2. 10% to Charity (church, charitable organizations, etc).

3. Set up a trust for my daughter(s).

4. Pay off to the various agencies (we are going through an international adoption .. so far we have spent $13000. In the end, we're figuring to spend just over $28000 ... What? and we don't how we're going to get the rest of the money. P.S. we're thinking our adoption will be okayed next spring ... then off to China for the baby.)

5. Renew our marriage vows then off to a well needed second honeymoon.

6. New House

7. New car (nothing fancy, maybe a Subaru Trebuca or Outback)

8. Help out my immediate family out of their debts.

But before anything else ... first thing I'll do ... go down on my knees and give thanks to God.

Aloha, everyone.US Flag

Cool deal, the Chinese adoption.  A lady friend of mine adopted two girl chillerns over there....brought enormous joy to her life.

Good luck to you,

Jack

Egos don't count.

Maverick's avatar - yinyang
                    USA
                    United States
                    Member #8242
                    October 29, 2004
                    1133 Posts
                    Posted: October 1, 2005, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

$500 million?

All of the above, except "keep working".

To Lotteries: Stop recording our # combinations, and figure out another way to rollover the $$$.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                      Tennessee
                      United States
                      Member #7853
                      October 15, 2004
                      11338 Posts
                      Posted: October 22, 2005, 3:42 am - IP Logged

$500 million?

All of the above, except "keep working".

you got that right!  i've also heard of people throwing private parties where they hire a rock star to play for them for say 2 million dollars for a few hours to entertain their friends.i've heard springsteen,the eagles and dylan have done it.

md
                        United States
                        Member #14047
                        April 20, 2005
                        579 Posts
                        Posted: October 22, 2005, 5:36 am - IP Logged

All of the above, including working.  Working hard at managing my money and investments! lololololololololol