Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:25 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why gamble at Online Lottery Sites?

Topic closed. 74 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Sandy K.

Page 2 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #17555
June 22, 2005
5582 Posts
Posted: August 15, 2005, 1:10 pm - IP Logged

I always wondered how Florida can make such a big stink about wearing seatbelts, and then lift the helmet law for motorcycles.

I later found out that a whole bunch of riders made a very loud noise to the state and convinced the stuffed shirts to lift the law.

Rip is right, one person can't change much, it takes a few hundred thousand or even a million to get the job done.

Maybe Todd needs to have a new petition for tax reduction or total removal, like Canada and Australia have.

Sparta, NJ
    United States
    Member #18331
    July 9, 2005
    1977 Posts
    Posted: August 15, 2005, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

Todd:

You're pulling at my cowardice strings. I know almost nothing about those Euro games.  Has there ever been a big winner on our side of the pond? Some day I will jump in and buy a few draws.

You hit my "sore spot" with MM/PB, the heavy emphasis on the annunity and almost cover-up of the cash values. People know I play both PB/MM and are always asking the value. I constantly reference your site for the (close to) real numbers. I go to buy a ticket, and it is rare when a retailer knows the cash value. All the glitter and gold promo's push the annunity, yet (from what I hear) most go for the cash.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

New Mexico
      United States
      Member #12305
      March 10, 2005
      2984 Posts
      Posted: August 15, 2005, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

After looking at it a bit more, that Euro-millions looks pretty good.  A $44 Million jackpot which is actually $44 million, plus the fact a person would probably get to give the US Government a check for the taxes here, rather than having them just take it, has a lot to be said for it.

I'm thinking I might just shift my playing to Euro-Millions until the CHICOMs, some private corportation, or the reincarnation of Al Caponee decide to get into the lottery biz.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23260 Posts
        Posted: August 15, 2005, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

Chewie,

No, I don't think anyone from the USA has won Euromillions yet.  Just watch the jackpot, and give it a try when it become really big.

It's already up to $44 Million, which for Powerball would be the equivalent of about $130 Million or so (once you take the cash option and take out taxes).

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Blaine WA
          United States
          Member #17275
          June 15, 2005
          117 Posts
          Posted: August 15, 2005, 7:45 pm - IP Logged

i would be concerned about online lotteries in that there is no power to make them pay.

a person might have to sue to collect and then it may not be enforceable.

an online business can just fade away without being responsible.

at least the state lotteries are guaranteed to pay your winnings

(same posted by me in another posting)

the odds do not mean much to those who win the jackpot

paurths's avatar - underground
            Switching between Fairfax, VA and Belgium
            Belgium
            Member #19287
            July 29, 2005
            2254 Posts
            Posted: August 15, 2005, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

Playing euromillions online looks pretty expensive; 5 dollars/ticket?

I play it 2 euro/ticket.

Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23260 Posts
              Posted: August 15, 2005, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

LOL  Expensive?  No.

First of all 2 Euros = $2.50, so the service fee is $2.50.  I think it's pretty much a no-brainer that a mere $2.50 to participate in something that would otherwise be impossible for most people is not expensive.

Checking out the prices that other sites would charge, the cheapest I have seen elsewhere is $6.70.  Another offers 1 ticket played for 5 weeks (5 drawings) for $59.  That would be -- yes, you see it right -- $11.80 for one ticket.

Maybe you can try to see things from other people's perspective, instead of just your own.

How often do you get a chance to play USA Powerball from your home in Belgium?  What's that?  You can't do it without some kind of service?  Now maybe you can start to imagine how someone who is not a local player would feel, and you'll see that the price is really quite good, and the price your play for your local lotto game has nothing to do with how good the online service fee is.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                Member #2338
                September 17, 2003
                2063 Posts
                Posted: August 16, 2005, 12:07 am - IP Logged

I'm glad Todd took the time to find an honest ticket retailer. Not all of us can fly to Europe to play Euromillions everytime the jackpot runs up. Sounds like something I'd do after I won a jackpot not before hand.

Winner2Be's avatar - diva
                  Charleston
                  United States
                  Member #1990
                  August 5, 2003
                  1675 Posts
                  Posted: August 16, 2005, 1:59 am - IP Logged

Here we go again...

Lurking

Sometimes the Heart can see what the eyes cannot.

Belgium
                    Member #19287
                    July 29, 2005
                    2254 Posts
                    Posted: August 16, 2005, 4:11 am - IP Logged

LOL  Expensive?  No.

First of all 2 Euros = $2.50, so the service fee is $2.50.  I think it's pretty much a no-brainer that a mere $2.50 to participate in something that would otherwise be impossible for most people is not expensive.

Checking out the prices that other sites would charge, the cheapest I have seen elsewhere is $6.70.  Another offers 1 ticket played for 5 weeks (5 drawings) for $59.  That would be -- yes, you see it right -- $11.80 for one ticket.

Maybe you can try to see things from other people's perspective, instead of just your own.

How often do you get a chance to play USA Powerball from your home in Belgium?  What's that?  You can't do it without some kind of service?  Now maybe you can start to imagine how someone who is not a local player would feel, and you'll see that the price is really quite good, and the price your play for your local lotto game has nothing to do with how good the online service fee is.

Yes, i believe that is extremely expensive, having to pay double of what it originally costs!

I don't really see how that is so funny... And why in heavens name would i play USA Powerball, with such odds? Same thing the other way. Euromillions is pretty much 1:75000000, at a price of $2,50/ticket.
                    Mathematically untrue, practically true, playing euromillions online for $5/ticket means you have half the chance as someone playing it 2€/ticket since the last one can buy twice the amount of tickets compared to the first.

Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23260 Posts
                      Posted: August 16, 2005, 6:50 am - IP Logged

paurths,

Your problem is with the game itself, so why bother even commenting on this at all!

And your last statement is untrue BOTH mathematically and practically.  It's like saying if I had to travel to another state (incurring $10 in gas prices, plus tolls), then I would have half a chance of playing that someone walking down the block to buy a ticket would have.

Your original comment is funny because from the perspective of someone who lives overseas from the game, $2.50 extra to get a ticket is CHEAP.  Get it?

New Mexico
                        United States
                        Member #12305
                        March 10, 2005
                        2984 Posts
                        Posted: August 16, 2005, 7:15 am - IP Logged

Not to mention that the lump sum payoff is roughly double the PB and MM payoff for the same dollar figure jackpot.  Americans would be paying twice the price of a ticket for twice the actual money paid if they won.  Additionally, they'd have the opportunity to come forward and pay their taxes on money they already possess, rather than having it confiscated before they ever see it.

Euromillions needs to be won by Americans in the future.  It's one of the small ways Europeans can help pay back American taxpayers for rebuilding their countries, economies and industries after WWII.  One of the ways they can say, 'Thank you', for arranging things so's they wouldn't all be speaking German twice and Russian once last century.

I like it.

Jack

Egos don't count.

Belgium
                          Member #19287
                          July 29, 2005
                          2254 Posts
                          Posted: August 16, 2005, 8:41 am - IP Logged

paurths,

Your problem is with the game itself, so why bother even commenting on this at all!

And your last statement is untrue BOTH mathematically and practically.  It's like saying if I had to travel to another state (incurring $10 in gas prices, plus tolls), then I would have half a chance of playing that someone walking down the block to buy a ticket would have.

Your original comment is funny because from the perspective of someone who lives overseas from the game, $2.50 extra to get a ticket is CHEAP.  Get it?

Well, excuse me for commenting...on a forum Confused

Practically it is true, its simple math.
                          For the same money :
                          - you buy 1 ticket,
                          - i buy 2 tickets.

The cheap/expensive-issue is as it seems not be solved, since it depends on what a person might want and can spend on the game. Must be something like colors and taste.
                          Anyway, it would become alot less expensive, half the price even, if Americans who wants to play euromillions, had a sort of contact in Europe, then they could play the game at the normal rate. That's ofcourse only true when all those people know each other. (by contract or anything else)

Ricky

@Jack: you are kidding, are you not?

New Mexico
                            United States
                            Member #12305
                            March 10, 2005
                            2984 Posts
                            Posted: August 16, 2005, 9:16 am - IP Logged

@Jack: you are kidding, are you not?

Ricky:

Which time?

Jack

Egos don't count.

Sparta, NJ
                              United States
                              Member #18331
                              July 9, 2005
                              1977 Posts
                              Posted: August 16, 2005, 9:51 am - IP Logged

Did I miss something - in the math? For Euro, the minimum bet is $20.00; five dollars each, with four number minimum. And you don't receive anything in your paws to prove it is yours. An email confirmation doesn't really send a warm and fuzzy across the wide expanse of the universe. Send me $20.00 and I'll send you an email confirming receipt. When you hit the $44M, consider me the new Shadow of the Universe. It would be hard to sue what you can't find. I can, however, find the Governors office in New Jersey with almost no effort.

Just my opinion.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice