Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 8:34 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Currently Online

Topic closed. 52 replies. Last post 11 years ago by U.N.V.ME.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Greenwich, CT
United States
Member #4793
May 24, 2004
1822 Posts
Posted: September 14, 2005, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

On the Lotterypost home page, there is a box that details the number of users currently on the lotterypost website.  Right now it's hovering at 400-450, twice the usual, because of the huge Mega Millions pot.

Does anyone else watch this box?  I love it!  It would be nifty to see a record for not only the most users at any one time (1,819 during the $294m jackpot last year), but also for the most during any 24-hr period.

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
    Charlotte NC
    United States
    Member #17406
    June 18, 2005
    4054 Posts
    Posted: September 14, 2005, 3:18 pm - IP Logged

Yes stumbled up on at a while ago, I've noticed that there are always 100x the number of guest online too.

The members are highlighted in yellow.

It is a great tool.

takeemtothebank

New Mexico
      United States
      Member #12305
      March 10, 2005
      2984 Posts
      Posted: September 14, 2005, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

It's a cool box.  I thought I was the only one who ever looked at it.  I've puzzled over some of those guests who sometimes stay on for hours, scratched my haid wondering what they're doing.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

BILOXI, MISSISSIPPI
        United States
        Member #19651
        August 3, 2005
        621 Posts
        Posted: September 14, 2005, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

jack i'm thinking deep thoughts and spelling big words      sometimes i walk away for hours

New Mexico
          United States
          Member #12305
          March 10, 2005
          2984 Posts
          Posted: September 14, 2005, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, but you're not on there with a 'guest' label.  So far as I can figure, these folks have never registered, which limits the depth of focus on LP for their deep thoughts and doesn't allow them to spell any big words.

Jack

Egos don't count.

BILOXI, MISSISSIPPI
            United States
            Member #19651
            August 3, 2005
            621 Posts
            Posted: September 14, 2005, 5:21 pm - IP Logged

lp post is the best sight. i took a year to sign up  i would just look at news.           if you talk lotto in person. people think your crazy

New Mexico
              United States
              Member #12305
              March 10, 2005
              2984 Posts
              Posted: September 14, 2005, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

lp post is the best sight. i took a year to sign up  i would just look at news.           if you talk lotto in person. people think your crazy

Good point.  People are usually right.

J

Egos don't count.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8394 Posts
                Posted: September 14, 2005, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

Rip you or anyone who logged off and didn't log back on when they re visited the site. Would show up as a guest. Of course you can't use a lot of features or post until you log back in but it's my guess when people are showing up as guest there just searching material, reading posts and falling out of their chairs at some of our ramblings.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                  New Mexico
                  United States
                  Member #12305
                  March 10, 2005
                  2984 Posts
                  Posted: September 14, 2005, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

Four4me:

You're probably right.  Or maybe they're reading Maddog's MM Challenge and wondering how we all got so good at this.

J

Egos don't count.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                    Chief Bottle Washer
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #1
                    May 31, 2000
                    23349 Posts
                    Posted: September 14, 2005, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

Yes stumbled up on at a while ago, I've noticed that there are always 100x the number of guest online too.

The members are highlighted in yellow.

It is a great tool.

Only Premium members are highlighted in Yellow.  Regular members are highlight-less.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                      Magnolia, Delaware
                      United States
                      Member #18795
                      July 20, 2005
                      789 Posts
                      Posted: September 14, 2005, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

I never log out of the LP site. This way I don't have to retype my password when I return (call me lazy if you will) at a later time. Besides I have way to many passwords to remember as it is. I do belong to some other sites and stuff and I just can't keep all my passwords the same for all of my different memberships all over the net!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

New Mexico
                        United States
                        Member #12305
                        March 10, 2005
                        2984 Posts
                        Posted: September 14, 2005, 10:08 pm - IP Logged

I was referring to this sort of thing:

Currently Online:310Record:1,819
                        on July 3, 2004, 8:08 am
                        Members:22,129

Newest Member:slickchick

Topics:61,658

Guest 20 Today, 1:33 pm Today, last active:9:58 pm 505 minutesMicrosoft IE 6 Windows XP

Guest 25 Today, 10:20 am Today,last active: 9:58 pm 698 minutesMicrosoft IE 6 Windows XP

Guest 28 Today, 2:48 am Today, last active:9:58 pm 1150 minutes Unknown Unknown

These guests are doing some fairly impressive hanging around here, and they're not off getting manicures.... they're showing activity within the past few minutes.  Breathing, getting the earwax out with a paperclip, that sort of thing.

Feeling perfectly at home.

Jack

Egos don't count.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                          Magnolia, Delaware
                          United States
                          Member #18795
                          July 20, 2005
                          789 Posts
                          Posted: September 14, 2005, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

I agree Rip and I also like it that I can see the activities of everyone who comes here. But I do think that the administrator of LP needs to put time limits on the guest! 90 mins per visit with a max of 5 visits per day or 450 mins per day period! I have a funny feeling this is going to piss a great many of the standard members off, but I'm just speaking my mind as I would at any other time in my life! It makes no difference to me that we are online, I'd say the same thing in person if face to face with a person. 

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

New Mexico
                            United States
                            Member #12305
                            March 10, 2005
                            2984 Posts
                            Posted: September 15, 2005, 8:59 am - IP Logged

But I do think that the administrator of LP needs to put time limits on the guest! 90 mins per visit with a max of 5 visits per day or 450 mins per day period! I have a funny feeling this is going to piss a great many of the standard members off, but I'm just speaking my mind as I would at any other time in my life!

BaristaExpress:

I'd be curious to know your rationale.  For me it's an interesting mystery who those 'guests' are who park here, but insofar as keeping them from doing whatever they might be doing, or restricting the number of visits on them (or anyone else) the only reasoning I can come up with for your feeling that way would be band-width limitations.

I've only had problems getting here a couple of times when the error messages showed there wasn't enough band-width to handle the traffic.  Certainly not frequently enough to cause any inconvenience.

Is there some other reasoning you've found to care how frequently the users of the site visit it and how long they stay?  You appear to have strong feelings about it.

Jack

Egos don't count.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                              Chief Bottle Washer
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #1
                              May 31, 2000
                              23349 Posts
                              Posted: September 15, 2005, 9:11 am - IP Logged

I agree Rip and I also like it that I can see the activities of everyone who comes here. But I do think that the administrator of LP needs to put time limits on the guest! 90 mins per visit with a max of 5 visits per day or 450 mins per day period! I have a funny feeling this is going to piss a great many of the standard members off, but I'm just speaking my mind as I would at any other time in my life! It makes no difference to me that we are online, I'd say the same thing in person if face to face with a person. 

I'm curious to understand your point of view on this topic.  Why would you want to limit guests?  Are you saying that by limiting the amount of time one can spend online as a Guest, it will encourage more people to finally register as a member?

There are many sites that do that kind of thing.  In fact, if you've looked at any of the online newspaper sites (the online version of some existing newspaper), they often require registration if you try to look at more than one story.

By the way, You can stay logged in, but that doesn't mean that your name will continue to stay on the Currently Online list.

That list is showing people who have accessed any page at Lottery Post in the past 10 minutes.  So if you stay logged in, but then don't click on any page within 10 minutes, your name drops off that list, because you are no longer "active".

The purpose of the page is to show a snapshot of who is currently online and actively looking at the site.

You will notice that some pages, like the Home page, automatically refresh themselves after 5 minutes, so if someone leaves their browser window open on the Home page and then leaves the room, the page will continue to refresh and their name will stay on the list as being "Online".  Same for a Guest.  If you are NOT logged in, but you keep your browser open on an auto-refreshing page, it will keep that Guest in the list until they click away or close the browser.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                              What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                              Help eliminate computerized drawings!