Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 2:29 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Currently Online

Topic closed. 52 replies. Last post 11 years ago by U.N.V.ME.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Sparta, NJ
United States
Member #18331
July 9, 2005
1977 Posts
Posted: September 15, 2005, 9:21 am - IP Logged

I use the cookie for auto-login, so each time I go to LP, it logs me. Some time I browse and go away to do something else. Some times I am off doing something else, and forget to come back to log off. Some imes, at work, I'll be watching a thread, and minimize the screen until I have time to come back.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
    Magnolia, Delaware
    United States
    Member #18795
    July 20, 2005
    789 Posts
    Posted: September 15, 2005, 9:51 am - IP Logged

Rip says "I've only had problems getting here a couple of times when the error messages showed there wasn't enough band-width to handle the traffic.  Certainly not frequently enough to cause any inconvenience". This is true and it's only happened once to me so far. Look I feel it they like it so much to park it here for such a long time, then they should fork-up the cash to help pay for the site. Heck the site might even get a few up-grades if more funds where to come into play!I'm not saying that it would happen, but anything is possible. I spent many hours here over a course of three months and did a few postings to few forms (in the last month before joining) while a guest/standard member. Let me say something before I continue on my last comment. (I like everyone else like things that are free, but there also comes a time that when somethings free and enjoyed so much by that user and a membership is offered, I think that user should pay for a membership if they like the site so much! It's only the right thing to do and the way I was raised). I guess I'm not one to take advantage to the extent that a lot of people will take it too! As I see it in the long run that's exactly what kills the free stuff, to much freeloading! And one more thing, if money is an issue for those who might jump on that bandwagon, I'm on a very limited income SSD, so don't even try that route! I scrimped and saved my nickles and and a few dollar bills to pay for my membership! 

Todd asks "Why would you want to limit guests?  Are you saying that by limiting the amount of time one can spend online as a Guest, it will encourage more people to finally register as a member"? That's Exactly what I'm saying and maybe bring them to being a paying member somewhere down the road!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23349 Posts
      Posted: September 15, 2005, 10:02 am - IP Logged

BaristaExpress,

Thanks for sharing that idea.  I'll put it in my list of things where I consider concepts.  There is some merit to the idea.  Also, I appreciate your comments regarding the way your were raised.  Thanks for supporting this site.

I do have many things in the works for this site, but unfortunately I am just going through a busy stretch right now so I haven't been able to devote as much time as I'd like to new development.  I hope to get back on track with building some new features soon.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

New Mexico
        United States
        Member #12305
        March 10, 2005
        2984 Posts
        Posted: September 15, 2005, 10:11 am - IP Logged

BaristaExpress:

Thanks for sharing your logic.

I can't disagree (nor agree) on some of the issues you've mentioned.  I used the site several months before I paid up, and the only reason I paid was because of the limitations involved in not being a paying member.  Maybe I have a freeloader mentality, but so long as the site satisfied my needs with the options available to free registered members I just wouldn't have paid to join.

Seems to me that part's a balancing act for Todd.... providing enough services to keep free members coming, to introduce themselves to what's here, but offering enough for paying members to get the free members hungry for more.

I don't see the financial aspects behind the running of the site as any of my business.  I need the advanced features to allow me to do what I want to do, and those features aren't free, so I pay.  I don't have a clue what all the issues are concerning trade-offs between having more unregistered traffic, more registered but non-paying traffic, and paying members.... but I'm betting it's a complex issue and one that involves a lot more value judgements and priority evaluation than I'd care to contemplate.

However, having said that, it does seem to me  there ought to be a way to nudge people who use the site as intensively as those 'guests' I copy/pasted earlier on the thread, to go ahead and register.  There's almost certainly some value to Todd to know somewhat more about who's using the site.

Just my observations, however.  To be honest, it ain't much of an issue with me.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

Magnolia, Delaware
          United States
          Member #18795
          July 20, 2005
          789 Posts
          Posted: September 15, 2005, 10:14 am - IP Logged

You are very welcome Todd for my help in supporting this site! Like I said before Todd, "To Much Freeloading" kills the free stuff in the long run!

Magnolia, Delaware
            United States
            Member #18795
            July 20, 2005
            789 Posts
            Posted: September 15, 2005, 10:22 am - IP Logged

Oh Rip I agree with you as to what you can do and not do when not a paying member! I have tried my hand at some of the features available to only the paying members. And to be honest, all it has done is make me even more lost when it comes to the filters and things alike! I guess I'm a dummy or something, but I do go back and try here and there just to try to figure it out! But being a stay at home dad makes it hard for me to get much time in on the real time it's going to take to get some knowledge of how it is to be used and operated correctly!

four4me's avatar - gate1
              MD
              United States
              Member #1701
              June 18, 2003
              8393 Posts
              Posted: September 15, 2005, 11:04 am - IP Logged

I usually don't respond to a topic unless i understand or grasp the concept of a thread. As for guest or paid members logging in for long periods. I have done all nighters here on lottery post as well as other members. Some of my time spent was searching posts about pick 4 tips and tricks others were for finding out about methods for getting mega million number ideas. And many times just reading different posters long running threads. Whatever the reason i or anyone else might spend time on lottery post shouldn't determine wether they should or not become a paid member. Some of us might be satisfied just being a member and other who need to upgrade because they hope to support the site or use the many features of a paid membership.

Some posters might not need to upgrade because they already have resources for getting there picks and such and some people probably should upgrade rather than ask someone else how to go about getting numbers to play. Because many of the posters use the tools to get the numbers that some poster seek. While i understand that it pays to support such features if our guest wanted to upgrade to use the features they would, just as all whom have upgraded. But placing limits on the amount of time one might stay on line at lottery post could also be a deterrent, some listers might just fade away. One of my best friends i met here at lottery post left a while ago as soon as Todd made the upgrade features available to paid members. He was kinda bent out of shape because he predicted that would happen and said if it did he would be out of here.

I tried to talk him into staying and continue posting his ideas and such but he hasn't been back and might not, although i hope he does return. I also tried to explain to him why Todd created the features and the need to have paid memberships. Mostly because if one wanted to or did dedicate his time to running a site like this that they would need to have paid memberships so he could build a server and have the data base necessary to keep a site like this running.

On another note if one of our listers/members is a jackpot winner or becomes winner and found this site useful, or using this site gave them the insight to win the jackpot them he/she should sponsor the site. That is donate the required amount to keep this site free for everyone. This is what i will do if i win a sizeable jackpot amount.

New Mexico
                United States
                Member #12305
                March 10, 2005
                2984 Posts
                Posted: September 15, 2005, 11:11 am - IP Logged

On another note if one of our listers/members is a jackpot winner or becomes winner and found this site useful, or using this site gave them the insight to win the jackpot them he/she should sponsor the site. That is donate the required amount to keep this site free for everyone. This is what i will do if i win a sizeable jackpot amount.

Four4me:

Nice thought.  Hopefully if one of the LP members ever gets that forunate he/she'll remember where the tools were found to do the job, and pay to keep it running so someone else can have similar good fortune.

Real nice idea.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                  Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23349 Posts
                  Posted: September 15, 2005, 11:35 am - IP Logged

Quote from Four4me:

One of my best friends i met here at lottery post left a while ago as soon as Todd made the upgrade features available to paid members. He was kinda bent out of shape because he predicted that would happen and said if it did he would be out of here.

If a person did such a thing, I would just consider that strange, and such a person probably has "issues".

When I created Premium memberships, I was very careful to never take away anything that anyone was already using for free.

The only thing I did was to add extra features for people who wanted to support the site financially.

I am confused about the statement that he "predicted it would happen".  What exactly did he predict?  That I would suddenly start charging people for things that were previously free?  Well, he was wrong then, because that never happened.  I hope his lottery predictions do not mirror his predictions about this web site.

Also, it's not a very striking prediction, considering that I was talking about the upgraded memberships for a year or two prior to ever implementing them.

Does your frieind understand that I support this site out of my own pocket, at the cost of tens of thousands of dollars every year, and that people who are kind enough to support it financially, at a price less than the cost of a daily newspaper, are helping to keep it afloat?

Maybe your friend needs some counciling to understand his hostility towards someone who is trying to maintain an excellent environment for people who enjoy the lottery.

He should sign up with that moron's web site in Australia who spends all day reading Lottery Post and fantasizes about being a member again.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                  What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                  Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Northern California
                    United States
                    Member #19948
                    August 9, 2005
                    151 Posts
                    Posted: September 15, 2005, 11:56 am - IP Logged

Dang, Todd

Remind me never to make you mad!

Seems like a good site to me - I hope you make at least some if not good money from it.

DDB

four4me's avatar - gate1
                      MD
                      United States
                      Member #1701
                      June 18, 2003
                      8393 Posts
                      Posted: September 15, 2005, 11:58 am - IP Logged

Todd i probably should have explained further. So i will try. There are a few people on lottery post i have made friends with kinda like pen pals but because it was so difficult to translate ideas through pm's and such it became necessary for us to communicate by phone. Before this became a paid site we used different data bases lottery web based sites to do some analisys for picking numbers some of those sites were paid sites as well he didn't like that one bit either. we would go round for round about why someone would charge for lottery number information. for whatever the reason he left there were some other issues he had and that was with some posters who were disrespctfull of him and his previous military service and some threads he participated in got out of hand. When you made this a paid membership site for the various additional features this was the iceing on the cake so to speak. He phoned me that day and told me about his leaving and i tried again to get him to stick around and wait for things to cool down. But he said that he was over it done with the site..

I guess in his mind he thought that there wasen't a large cost factor in runnig a web site. And no matter what i said to convince him that is cost big money just to get the numbers results you list for all states. He probably does have some mentality issues. Some of us old guys get senile as we get older also some of us get bitter. In any event like i told the bar owner when i quit drinking my money isn't going to make or break this bar. And neither is this guys money going to make or break your site. If he wants to come back then he will if he wants to upgrade he will. But he figure that it should have remained a free site, don't let what i said interfere with your plans or ideas.

Magnolia, Delaware
                        United States
                        Member #18795
                        July 20, 2005
                        789 Posts
                        Posted: September 15, 2005, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

As Todd said, (Quote) "Does your Friend understand that I support this site out of my own pocket, at the cost of tens of thousands of dollars every year, and that people who are kind enough to support it financially, at a price less than the cost of a daily newspaper, are helping to keep it afloat? (Unquote)

My Point Exactly! And that alone is the reason I said there should be a limit to the time spent on the site by the guest! A standard/registered member should keep what they already have, but still again they should consider becoming a paying member to support the site! 

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                          Member #14
                          November 9, 2001
                          31537 Posts
                          Posted: September 15, 2005, 12:42 pm - IP Logged

lottery post is a "community".    support your community.

love to nibble those micey feet.

Magnolia, Delaware
                            United States
                            Member #18795
                            July 20, 2005
                            789 Posts
                            Posted: September 15, 2005, 12:48 pm - IP Logged

I Hear That! 2 Points emilyg (you micey feet nibbler you)Hurray!

Sparta, NJ
                              United States
                              Member #18331
                              July 9, 2005
                              1977 Posts
                              Posted: September 15, 2005, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

It's Todd's money and sweat. He can do what he wants with the site. I upgraded, because I want to have the opportunity to utilize the extras. Every one has a reason for being here. My reason for being here is to win the big one. The second reason is to learn from other people how I can win the big one. The third reason is to see I can win and not make the same financial mistakes others have made.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice