Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 6:17 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Currently Online

Topic closed. 52 replies. Last post 11 years ago by U.N.V.ME.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
four4me's avatar - gate1
MD
United States
Member #1701
June 18, 2003
8396 Posts
Posted: September 15, 2005, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

As Todd said, (Quote) "Does your Friend understand that I support this site out of my own pocket, at the cost of tens of thousands of dollars every year, and that people who are kind enough to support it financially, at a price less than the cost of a daily newspaper, are helping to keep it afloat? (Unquote)

My Point Exactly! And that alone is the reason I said there should be a limit to the time spent on the site by the guest! A standard/registered member should keep what they already have, but still again they should consider becoming a paying member to support the site! 

And like i tried to tell you a guest could be a standard member or a paid member who in just not logged in. If you log off and come back to the site without loging in you will show up as a  guest. And remain as a guest until you log back in.

suppose a member dosen't want to log in should they be cut of because they didn't log in. suppose i didn't want to use any special features should i be cut off. suppose i wanted to be anymous should i be cut off.

One other thing you should know if you don't log off this site and back in once in a while any new features that Todd may have added might not be available to you because some of those features require you to log out and back in.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
    Member #14
    November 9, 2001
    31553 Posts
    Posted: September 15, 2005, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

or just refresh the homepage -

love to nibble those micey feet.

New Mexico
      United States
      Member #12305
      March 10, 2005
      2984 Posts
      Posted: September 15, 2005, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

It's evident the way LP users view the site covers the whole waterfront in perspectives.  It's unique to the web, so far as I can tell, which means if it weren't here there'd be nothing similar to replace it.

I'd always assumed the site pays for itself, was intended to pay for itself.  If it isn't doing that I'd consider it a shame, a problem that needs a solution.

Otherwise we might all just try to log on one day to discover Todd's decided he was putting a lot of effort into something without any returns for his energies, and that he's grown tired of it.

As a rule we're prone to take a lot for granted in all avenues of life, all of us, once we get used to it.  On LP there's cause to believe the non-paying, bickering and complaining users are at least as prone to that flaw as the paying members. 

I've noticed I tend to appreciate the site a lot more as a paying member than I did as a non-paying member, partly because of the extra features, but also because of the strange realization that I feel more a part of it as a paying member.  Sort of as though I have an investment in it, which I do, but not monetarily (except from subscription to subscription). 

All in all this is an interesting thread, way beyond what I'd have expected in the early stages.  Cause for some introspections.

Whomever started it, thanks.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8396 Posts
        Posted: September 15, 2005, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

or just refresh the homepage -

That might work for you but it didn't for me many times aol has captured so many clicks that this pc would lock up if i didn't clear my cache log off and log back on. And every time Todd made changes to this site i had to log off and back in. No big deal i can handle it.  And please don't tell me to find a different isp.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
          four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8396 Posts
          Posted: September 15, 2005, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

Yea Rip 22,000 plus members and probably 15,000 of them neve typed in on sentance or ever needed to log in cause they were just reading or passing thru.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
            Magnolia, Delaware
            United States
            Member #18795
            July 20, 2005
            789 Posts
            Posted: September 15, 2005, 2:40 pm - IP Logged

OK four4me, I forgot about myself making the mistake of not logging in a few times and being shown as a guest! So now I don't forget to login or I have the cookies enabled so I don't have to worry about it any longer! I guessed it right that my saying what I said at the beginning was going to piss some off! Oh well such is life! All I know is that I Support My Lottery Post Community! And please remember, everything FREE in the World eventually disapears oneday!

Todd you have one Very Big Heart and may God Praise you on the day you go to him to take your place by his side! God Bless You Todd.

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

Greenwich, CT
              United States
              Member #4793
              May 24, 2004
              1822 Posts
              Posted: September 15, 2005, 2:43 pm - IP Logged

When I started this post 24 hours ago, it was a simple comment on the homepage.  It's good to see all this discussion and airing of thoughts.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                Member #14
                November 9, 2001
                31553 Posts
                Posted: September 15, 2005, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

It's evident the way LP users view the site covers the whole waterfront in perspectives.  It's unique to the web, so far as I can tell, which means if it weren't here there'd be nothing similar to replace it.

I'd always assumed the site pays for itself, was intended to pay for itself.  If it isn't doing that I'd consider it a shame, a problem that needs a solution.

Otherwise we might all just try to log on one day to discover Todd's decided he was putting a lot of effort into something without any returns for his energies, and that he's grown tired of it.

As a rule we're prone to take a lot for granted in all avenues of life, all of us, once we get used to it.  On LP there's cause to believe the non-paying, bickering and complaining users are at least as prone to that flaw as the paying members. 

I've noticed I tend to appreciate the site a lot more as a paying member than I did as a non-paying member, partly because of the extra features, but also because of the strange realization that I feel more a part of it as a paying member.  Sort of as though I have an investment in it, which I do, but not monetarily (except from subscription to subscription). 

All in all this is an interesting thread, way beyond what I'd have expected in the early stages.  Cause for some introspections.

Whomever started it, thanks.

Jack

I Agree!          the way maybell's disappeared

love to nibble those micey feet.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                  Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23356 Posts
                  Posted: September 15, 2005, 3:52 pm - IP Logged

Wow, I love all the feedback, if nothing else.  From a Webmaster's perspective I can't tell you how great it is to hear how you all THINK.  I make a lot of GUESSES when building this site (it is an always-happening, non-stop effort), so hearing the impact of these things is SO valuable.

Jack (and Emily!), your comments about feeling like everymore a part of a community is inspiring for me.  It makes me want to redouble my efforts.

Four4me, don't take my comments as any kind of criticism thrown your way, more of an airing of my feelings towards the attitude of the guy you described.  You're my buddy here, and I won't even criticize your ISP, now that e-mail troubles with them are a thing of the past! Wink

One more thought I had:  don't think of this or refer to it as a "paid site".  It's a "free site", and has services you can purchase.  After all, IMHO that's what the Internet experience is all about.  A free place to "surf", just like broadcast TV, and if you want more, like getting cable TV or satellite, you pay for the extras.  Those cable and satellite providers even offer packages with names like "Gold" and "Platinum" (and other precious metal names), just like LP does!

Cheers

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                  What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                  Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                    Charlotte NC
                    United States
                    Member #17406
                    June 18, 2005
                    4054 Posts
                    Posted: September 15, 2005, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

And just to think- this all started when someone moused over "who's online."

Todd knows what he is doing and he is doing a good job.  Why can't we close this topic.    LET'S HIT SOME NUMBERS. 

If you guys want entertainment read my blog.

takeemtothebank

four4me's avatar - gate1
                      MD
                      United States
                      Member #1701
                      June 18, 2003
                      8396 Posts
                      Posted: September 15, 2005, 5:40 pm - IP Logged
                      Todd no problem i already told you what i thought about you running a site like this. With hundreds of A to Z personality types. At the end of the day you probably are either falling on the floor laughing or deep into a bottle of jack. just kidding about the jack.

It is a great community kinda cliquish at times but never the less a great community. Even with your total amount of members there are probably less than 200 actual posters who on a regular basis contribute to the overall well being of the site with ideas and such.

For a long time i had a motto, that motto was " if it's for free, it's for me" as for paying for stuff i hate it. i hate that we are having to pay outrageous amounts for all kinds of good and services. Not yours of course just that everything is becoming so expensive like they think that everybody is making 50 bucks an hour. When in all truth most are lucky if there making 8 bucks an hr if that after all the taxes and insurance are paid. sorry about the thread drift here.

Someone bought me a subscription to comcast so i may try it this month if and when i figure out how to set it up.

As for guests i'm glad we have um for every potential guest there is a potential subscriber to premium services and hope that some see this thread and consider upgrading.

BaristaExpress im not angry just trying to explain about why you see people as guest some might not want to be noticed by name have no intention of using the services and might not ever reply to a thread. In which case there is no reason to be logged into the site.

Will work for upgrade maybe i could start by sweeping the floor. LOL
                        New Mexico
                        United States
                        Member #12305
                        March 10, 2005
                        2984 Posts
                        Posted: September 15, 2005, 5:51 pm - IP Logged

Heck Four4me.  I'd never noticed before that you're a standard member.  I value your posts too much to cause me to think any kind of restriction ought to be put on you at all.  If I had any money I'd send you some on condition you post more frequently.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

Chief Bottle Washer
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #1
                          May 31, 2000
                          23356 Posts
                          Posted: September 15, 2005, 6:08 pm - IP Logged

And just to think- this all started when someone moused over "who's online."

Todd knows what he is doing and he is doing a good job.  Why can't we close this topic.    LET'S HIT SOME NUMBERS. 

If you guys want entertainment read my blog.

I'd never want to close a thread that generates so much interesting discussion.  This kind of thing is what makes forum sites so interesting to me.  The abillity to discuss and find that there are SO MANY interesting ideas out there.  I love when a thread takes on a life of its own!  There's plenty of "numbers only" threads out there for everyone.  I live for the discussion threads.  I get my numbers from the predictions pages.

Chief Bottle Washer
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #1
                            May 31, 2000
                            23356 Posts
                            Posted: September 15, 2005, 6:09 pm - IP Logged
                            Todd no problem i already told you what i thought about you running a site like this. With hundreds of A to Z personality types. At the end of the day you probably are either falling on the floor laughing or deep into a bottle of jack. just kidding about the jack.

It is a great community kinda cliquish at times but never the less a great community. Even with your total amount of members there are probably less than 200 actual posters who on a regular basis contribute to the overall well being of the site with ideas and such.

For a long time i had a motto, that motto was " if it's for free, it's for me" as for paying for stuff i hate it. i hate that we are having to pay outrageous amounts for all kinds of good and services. Not yours of course just that everything is becoming so expensive like they think that everybody is making 50 bucks an hour. When in all truth most are lucky if there making 8 bucks an hr if that after all the taxes and insurance are paid. sorry about the thread drift here.

Someone bought me a subscription to comcast so i may try it this month if and when i figure out how to set it up.

As for guests i'm glad we have um for every potential guest there is a potential subscriber to premium services and hope that some see this thread and consider upgrading.

BaristaExpress im not angry just trying to explain about why you see people as guest some might not want to be noticed by name have no intention of using the services and might not ever reply to a thread. In which case there is no reason to be logged into the site.

Will work for upgrade maybe i could start by sweeping the floor. LOL

You gotta set up that cable connection.  But be prepared to be very sad if you don't continue it.  The Internet is a completely different place once you hook up to a cable modem.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                              MD
                              United States
                              Member #1701
                              June 18, 2003
                              8396 Posts
                              Posted: September 15, 2005, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

ah i'm just a holdout as probably so are many others. Even though i also live on a fixed income i can and should probably been one of the first subscribers to an upgraded membership. However this old clunker barely handles some of the tasks it has to perform and when i tried some of the features this old clunker was working real hard to keep up. So I'll be needing a newer pc to use some of the features. Even some of my excel 98 programs are suffering because of this old clunker. Eventually i'll get around to it. I had to buy the wife and kids a new pc just to keep them off of this one. So i'm next in line for a new pc. There will come a day you see a bright yellow strike through my name. I tried to get a job here at lottery post but i live to far away and failed the programming test lol. Just kidding.