Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:36 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

PowerBall odds for 100 tickets?

Topic closed. 52 replies. Last post 11 years ago by sirbrad.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
PA
United States
Member #22983
October 6, 2005
2226 Posts
Posted: December 2, 2005, 1:38 am - IP Logged

The PowerBall odds are about 1 in 146,000,000 I believe. So what would the odds be if you bought 100 tickets for 100 shots? Would that be 146,000,000 divided by 100 for a 1 in 1,460,000 odds? I may try this, plus some filtering that could reduce the odds by millions more.

United States
    Member #1826
    July 11, 2003
    2645 Posts
    Posted: December 2, 2005, 1:58 am - IP Logged

Well, buying 100 would technically lower your odds considerably. But you also need to make sure you cover all the numbers you filter plenty of times and make sure each number gets the same amount of coverage (or something close). If have 22s and 39s on every line, you will become too dependant upon those numbers, which will increase your odds.

(insert signature here)

johnph77's avatar - avatar
      CA
      United States
      Member #2987
      December 10, 2003
      832 Posts
      Posted: December 2, 2005, 4:40 am - IP Logged

The PowerBall odds are about 1 in 146,000,000 I believe. So what would the odds be if you bought 100 tickets for 100 shots? Would that be 146,000,000 divided by 100 for a 1 in 1,460,000 odds? I may try this, plus some filtering that could reduce the odds by millions more.

Yes, those are the odds. If you're trying to use all numbers you'll be picking each number in the main draw about 9 times each, unless eliminating them by filters.

gl

j

Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there..... 

Next week's convention for Psychics and Prognosticators has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

=^.^=

Down's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
        Riverside, Ca
        United States
        Member #21722
        September 14, 2005
        173 Posts
        Posted: December 2, 2005, 4:47 am - IP Logged

your odds of winning with 100 tickets would be 100 in 146,000,000

Greenwich, CT
          United States
          Member #4793
          May 24, 2004
          1822 Posts
          Posted: December 2, 2005, 12:24 pm - IP Logged

your odds of winning with 100 tickets would be 100 in 146,000,000

100/146,000,000.  As with any proportion this can be reduced.  Divide both values by 100.

1/1,460,000

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
            Member #12618
            March 18, 2005
            2060 Posts
            Posted: December 2, 2005, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

I think the odds are still too big even if you buy 100 tickets. There have been a few people on LP who have spent a hundered dollars on tickets and won nothing. But if you have a hundred to spare and it won't effect you if you do lose it, I say go for it. But use a filtering or wheeling system to choose the numbers and don't do quick picks. Good luck sirbrad. =)

Dance like no one is watching.

Portland Oregon
              United States
              Member #23305
              October 10, 2005
              47 Posts
              Posted: December 2, 2005, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

Would it be possible to buy 146 million Powerball tickets and cover all of the statistical set of numbers if the Jackpot reached a new record of say $365M?  It would only make sense to do something like this if it was a staggering amount. 

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                Member #91
                January 19, 2002
                11907 Posts
                Posted: December 2, 2005, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

well if you want aother way to look at it $100 covers only 0.00006849315 percent of the possible combinations.  That means that there is a 99.99993160785 percent chance that you didn't pick the right combination.  However people win with a dollar bet so if you feel lucky, have at it. 

Good luck!

DirtyWrat's avatar - dirty rat_3051bs_mor.jpg
                  Darlington, S.C.
                  United States
                  Member #3691
                  February 12, 2004
                  133 Posts
                  Posted: December 2, 2005, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

Would it be possible to buy 146 million Powerball tickets and cover all of the statistical set of numbers if the Jackpot reached a new record of say $365M?  It would only make sense to do something like this if it was a staggering amount. 

No, that would not be possible. It would be, to say the least, a logistical nightmare.

With the lottery I get all the exercise I need.

In futility.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                    PA
                    United States
                    Member #22983
                    October 6, 2005
                    2226 Posts
                    Posted: December 2, 2005, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

Well being it is the holidays, and I already bought a Millionaire raffle ticket for $20, I will not be able to get 100 this time. But I will be getting at least 60 or so. Hoping the new moon, and Jupiter brings me the "luck and money" that I need. I have not had much luck with systems, so I am going to give QPs a shot and compare this time. $40 in tickets did it for the Wests, so it should be more than enough.

But as you also said, people have won with one ticket. I know the average spent is about $5-10, and many have also won with that. I have also been working tirelessly  on visualization, and positive imaging for the past month. I am talking 24 hours a day visualizing the kind of life that I wish to live, and already believing that the money is there waiting for me. So we'll just have to see how it goes.

I am sure it would make a great world wide story, and be a little more justified that an LP member won, or one that actually "expected" to win, and uses systems frequently, as opposed to the last minute "give me a QP, never played the lottery in my life" type of person. Although I will be using QPs, it is still system. I have had this planned for about 2 months while saving up the money, and figuring out which stores, what times, and how many tickets to get from each.

So in a sense it is still all systemized. It is a lot more fun that way.Big Grin Angel  I hope something wonderful comes out of all of it. Although as I said it would make a fantastic story, I would prefer to be as anonymous as possible. Although through my visualization, and imaging, I found that it would be extremely difficult to keep quiet. That is just human nature. But I also know the risks involved of relaying too much information. But I would like everyone to know that at least finally a dedicated lottery player has won, one who has invested countless hours day in and day out studying the numbers.

Which would also provide even more hope and assurance for those who also do the same here. It would be bitter sweet indeed! Plus as I mentioned in the past, I Am not really a believer in the so called 'odds' analogy, as there is too many contradictions that has happened to prove them wrong. I don't think anyone can actually know the true odds of matching all the number, we can only theorize and speculate. Nonetheless, wish me luck! Lep I believe and have faith I will hit it.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                      Wisconsin
                      United States
                      Member #1303
                      March 27, 2003
                      1508 Posts
                      Posted: December 2, 2005, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

Seems to me, it would reduce your odds only infintesimally.  The odds are based upon each combination. And each combination has the same 1 in 146 million chance to win. I know the arithmetic makes it look like y ou have dropped your odds to 1 in 4.6 million, but numbers can lie. IOW, a hundred combinations, and each has a 1 in 146 milllion chance.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                        A long and winding road
                        United States
                        Member #17084
                        June 10, 2005
                        4523 Posts
                        Posted: December 2, 2005, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

Sirbrad- a synonym for visualization in the medical field: delusional. Not meant to hamper your technique, but when I read that method, its the first thing that came to my mind. To dream is one thing and quite necessary to aspire. I agree that the "odds" don't deter those with aspirations, in fact it fuels them! Stick with what the budget can handle.  Good luck to you this holiday season! (PS- I got a side bet that you'll hit on that raffle!)

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

konane's avatar - wallace
                          Atlanta, GA
                          United States
                          Member #1265
                          March 13, 2003
                          3333 Posts
                          Posted: December 2, 2005, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

Sirbrad- a synonym for visualization in the medical field: delusional. Not meant to hamper your technique, but when I read that method, its the first thing that came to my mind. To dream is one thing and quite necessary to aspire. I agree that the "odds" don't deter those with aspirations, in fact it fuels them! Stick with what the budget can handle.  Good luck to you this holiday season! (PS- I got a side bet that you'll hit on that raffle!)

In the medical field you may be correct although there are studies which say that prayer which is a type of positive visualization has worked miracles which is not delusional.

In the realm of metaphysics creative visualization and positive thoughts work to assist bringing about whatever a person is seeking.  It depends on a person's belief as to whether it works, their diligence and ability to focus.

Left brain logic works for many whereas right brain creativity and thinking outside the box works for many also. 

If you haven't had results with visualization then you're excluding the many of us who have had it work on many occasions in real time.

Good luck to everyone!

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                            A long and winding road
                            United States
                            Member #17084
                            June 10, 2005
                            4523 Posts
                            Posted: December 2, 2005, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

Thank you Konane for the additional information.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

konane's avatar - wallace
                              Atlanta, GA
                              United States
                              Member #1265
                              March 13, 2003
                              3333 Posts
                              Posted: December 2, 2005, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

Thank you Konane for the additional information.

Happy to add to your knowledge base and field of reference any time!!!!  Clown  Jack-in-the-Box      Stooges

Good luck to everyone!