Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 12:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Living off of the lottery...

Topic closed. 70 replies. Last post 11 years ago by sfilippo.

Page 3 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

Would you make a living from playing the lottery?

Yes [ 34 ]  [31.48%]
No [ 51 ]  [47.22%]
Maybe [ 23 ]  [21.30%]
Total Valid Votes [ 108 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 16 ]  
KyMystikal's avatar - 1457224010054
Florence, Alabama
United States
Member #8658
November 13, 2004
1993 Posts
Posted: January 24, 2006, 4:34 am - IP Logged

Cashman, hitting is not the problem.  It's making a profit that is the most difficult part. You spend $50 to make $60, that's hard to live off of....And no matter how many hits you get, the question is "How much did you spend in order to get that hit"? If you're making $1,000 /week as you mention, and you're spending $800 to do it, that's not enough to make a living from....though it would be more like having a part time extra job income, which is great...but not enough to not have a full time job.

This is the point I was trying to make in my post. The way I played was ample for me to consider it as like a part time job. The winnings were my play money. I bought a ground effects kit, custom wheels, and stereo system with my lottery winnings. My co-workers were telling me I need to put a Kentucky Lottery sign on my car because everything I did to it was paid for with my winnings. I remember when I bought my 1st set of wheels and tires for my car with the winnings. The wheels and tires were $1,800. The sales man asked me, "Did you save a long time to get these wheels?" I told him, "No, I hit the pick 3 last night and had $5.00 on the number and I had won $3,000." I believe it is possible to live off of lottery winnings but the problem is discipline. You have to stick with a budget to play that will produce a reasonable income for you. What I found best for me was to play my numbers for a week. The numbers I played were doubles and high repeating numbers. I started of playing them .50 box until I got a hit because I was using my money then changed to playing straight. If you go to the store everyday to play your numbers you're more likely to play other numbers. When your number falls cash the ticket in just in case it repeats so you won't win too much on the ticket were you would have to pay taxes.

I love doubles and remember, it's just a game!!!!!!

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
    Tennessee
    United States
    Member #7853
    October 15, 2004
    11338 Posts
    Posted: January 24, 2006, 6:28 am - IP Logged

thats why i wish tennessee had one drawing a day.i hit 486 ten times for 5 grand in july of 2004.now its like if i bet on evening it hits midday and vice versa.i was already off work for a while and had money saved and i was just about to have to go back when i hit 486,boy was i excited! those winnings gave me an extra six months to lounge around. people in the store said i was wasting my money....guess who had the last laugh.......besides that i've hit for 1,000 bucks on 568 and 468.i hit on 6866 and 7866 in may of 2005 50 cent straight for a total of another 5,000 won in one week.only thing is i haven't won on pick 4 since.

United States
      Member #30538
      January 18, 2006
      14 Posts
      Posted: January 24, 2006, 8:08 am - IP Logged

In theory, if you hit on one out of every 4 drawings, and you play $1 on a number each day, you will make a little over $45,625 in winnings over the course of the year.  Think about if you hit one out of every 4 drawings and you played mid-day and evening.  You'd make $91,250  This is if you play the Pick 3.  Think about if you play the Pick 4.

I think that is a bit overly optimistic. If anyone is actually considering doing this, they'd have to be very realistic about how much profit they actually make. Can someone actually quit their job with the theory that they will get a hit every 4 drawings? And how much money are they spending to make each hit? It is damn sure more than a $1.

Here's a question: Would playing the lottery be as fun if your livelyhood depended on it?

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
        Tx
        United States
        Member #4570
        May 4, 2004
        5180 Posts
        Posted: January 24, 2006, 11:40 am - IP Logged

How much is that doggie on the window ?

We are here to try to learn from each other how to win.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

Australia
          Member #17096
          June 11, 2005
          225 Posts
          Posted: January 25, 2006, 5:33 am - IP Logged

I haven't made any money yet. Yes, I have won some very small amounts, but I have spent more than I have won. But you only need to win substantial prize, if not a jackpot, invest it wisely and you will be comfortable for life.

United States
            Member #16612
            June 2, 2005
            3493 Posts
            Posted: January 27, 2006, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

So far, I'm losing more money in buying lotto tickets than winning. My net loss is about $400 so far. Since jackpots are too low, I rather cut my losses. The most I ever won is $23 for CA SLP in 2001.

Debzo's avatar - disney29

United States
              Member #4822
              May 26, 2004
              62 Posts
              Posted: January 29, 2006, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

wish i could

Follow your dreamsCoffee

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19813 Posts
                Posted: January 29, 2006, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

So far, I'm losing more money in buying lotto tickets than winning. My net loss is about $400 so far. Since jackpots are too low, I rather cut my losses. The most I ever won is $23 for CA SLP in 2001.

If that $400 a life time loss or is it just for this year?  Some one has to contribute the jackpot and the large 2nd prizes winners.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Flint mi
                  United States
                  Member #29772
                  January 6, 2006
                  33 Posts
                  Posted: January 29, 2006, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

I say No the numbers are too radical. You may be able to win a few thousand but in the long run you are only going to break even if your lucky.. Even the players that win the large LOTTO millions usually go broke in a few years .. For me the 3 and 4 picks are only a hobby.

arlington tx
                    United States
                    Member #18086
                    July 4, 2005
                    69 Posts
                    Posted: February 5, 2006, 9:26 pm - IP Logged

possible it takes about thirtydraws to hit at quick pick  play any and put about one hundred aday  you might get lucky enough to make 400 a week if you took that  at ayear it could  work out  im waiting on my tax return to try itjust out of curiosity i can usualy  know when doubles are brewing

arlington tx
                      United States
                      Member #18086
                      July 4, 2005
                      69 Posts
                      Posted: February 5, 2006, 9:38 pm - IP Logged

has anyone  looked into most hit numbers in their state  and play accordingly . what i mean is each state has 2 to 5 numbers that hit regularly  start out by playing 2 or 3 numbers that are due to hit  play 5 numbers that look goood and how about 5 quick picks  the regular hitting numbers will come in and the others willfollow . also intexas the last 2 yrs the first number of the year has repeated twice so with planning and some luck it could be possiblejust space them out and see

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                        Charlotte NC
                        United States
                        Member #17406
                        June 18, 2005
                        4053 Posts
                        Posted: February 7, 2006, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

SmashI voted maybe -

I've found that if you dedicate you time to the lottery as if it were your business and do those things entrepreneurs do to be successful it can be profitable, but when other things get in the way it is easy to take your eyes off the prize and lose and getting it back is harder than maintaining it.

takeemtothebank

United States
                          Member #1826
                          July 11, 2003
                          2645 Posts
                          Posted: February 7, 2006, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

That's the dumbest question I've ever heard.

(insert signature here)

United States
                            Member #379
                            June 5, 2002
                            11296 Posts
                            Posted: March 4, 2006, 10:02 am - IP Logged

No one can make a living off of $1000 a week. Make it $750,000 lump sum instead...

Sparta, NJ
                              United States
                              Member #18331
                              July 9, 2005
                              1977 Posts
                              Posted: March 4, 2006, 11:49 am - IP Logged

No one can make a living off of $1000 a week. Make it $750,000 lump sum instead...

Bad, bad statement!  I could live very comfortably with an extra $1000 a week coming in! Life would be  E-X-T-R-E-M-E-L-Y comfortable.  Add that to my Army retirement, my puny Boeing retirement, my current employeers soon-to-be retirement, and what Uncle will be paying me, $5K a week looks very nice indeed! Own my house, no debts other then my smi-annual LP membership!  Kind of makes my 401K a 802K! 

You have zero idea of what people need in life, $750K to throw away is not always the best option.  Not every one has been foolish with their money.  All without supporting one single union executive!

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice