Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Living off of the lottery...

Topic closed. 70 replies. Last post 11 years ago by sfilippo.

Page 5 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

Would you make a living from playing the lottery?

Yes [ 34 ]  [31.48%]
No [ 51 ]  [47.22%]
Maybe [ 23 ]  [21.30%]
Total Valid Votes [ 108 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 16 ]  

Honduras
Member #20982
August 29, 2005
4715 Posts
Posted: May 11, 2006, 11:33 pm - IP Logged

JustExploring said:
"I think if you want to live off of gambling, you've got better odds playing poker or the ponies."

Well in a way disagree with that statement, but she/he is partly right....

To me, 500 a month wouldn't hurt....

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: May 21, 2006, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

JustExploring said:
    "I think if you want to live off of gambling, you've got better odds playing poker or the ponies."

Well in a way disagree with that statement, but she/he is partly right....

To me, 500 a month wouldn't hurt....

Funny, I had to go back and look because I didn't remember writing that, but you are correct...I did!!  Just not something I remember writing, because of my feelings about racing. I wasn't recommending it, just stating that the odds are much better if you have certain skills playing cards or know inside information about a horse. Most people I know who play the lottery spend more than they win, but I certainly agree that a little extra cash would be great. I just started a new job last week that's okay, but not a lot of money, so an extra $500 would make life a heck of a lot easier.  I think if you won every week, the IRS might eventually discover it and then there would be taxes due.  I can see getting away with it once it a while, but on a regular basis, I'd be a little concerned.  BTW, that first post was just an opinion to answer the original question. I don't advocate racing animals for our personal greed. 

Oh, I'm a she. You mean you thought that was an avatar, not a personal photo of me?  Wink

Honduras
      Member #20982
      August 29, 2005
      4715 Posts
      Posted: May 21, 2006, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

justxploring i disagree with you. I think is good to race animals for entertainment. If you look at it from the bright side, the animals are getting in shape; they working out, specially horses and dogs. However i wonder how many times they race those animals a day? if is 2 times is super o.k. I don't think they should put 16 horses on the same track and race them, is too much. 8 horses should be the limit. And the payout should be no more than 35 dollars. What i don't approve is the practice of letting dogs chase animals, like rabitts and stuff, that to me is cruelty, just someone can get turn on by it.

pumpi76

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: May 21, 2006, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

justxploring i disagree with you. I think is good to race animals for entertainment. If you look at it from the bright side, the animals are getting in shape; they working out, specially horses and dogs. However i wonder how many times they race those animals a day? if is 2 times is super o.k. I don't think they should put 16 horses on the same track and race them, is too much. 8 horses should be the limit. And the payout should be no more than 35 dollars. What i don't approve is the practice of letting dogs chase animals, like rabitts and stuff, that to me is cruelty, just someone can get turn on by it.

pumpi76

Wish I had the time to answer in detail, but maybe it's good that I don't, pumpi. This is a lottery board, so I don't want to use it for personal rants on issues that concern me. Racing used to be an admirable sport. But now, like professional baseball and football, it's a business run purely for profit. When athletes with brains and free will inject steroids into their bodies to become champions because of the competition, what do you think is done to helpless animals who cannot defend themselves? Sure there are the thoroughbred champions we see on tv that are cared for, but at least 30% of all racehorses are slaughtered after they get injured or cannot win. They aren't pets, they are a commodity and tossed away after they've served their purpose like a used car sent to the junk pile. They are started at a very early age and develop numerous bone problems. They are then used for food and often are dragged and tortured during the process. There are numerous groups that try to rescue horses that are auctioned off for these purposes. There are no laws that control how hard and how much a jockey can whip his horse to get to the finish, and of course winning is everything in today's world of "more, more, more!"  I didn't want to get into a debate, because there are too many examples. Many breeders love their animals, but as I said before, when something no longer is a small, family outing and becomes an international syndicate, love and kindness are not as important as whatever it takes to make the payoff.  I love to watch dogs run and horses play, and they love to win too. You can see it in a dog's eyes when he wins an agility contest at a dog show. This is also true for horses. But racing on a track isn't the same. They aren't willfully chasing or competing, they are being forced to run with all their strength and often drugged or beaten. There is a darker side to racing that you obviously don't know about, but you can do some research and make your own decision.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10348 Posts
          Posted: May 21, 2006, 6:33 pm - IP Logged

The "Wise Guys" in Las Vegas (bookies, professional gamblers in this use of "Wise Guys") figure of all gambling available, there are two and only two things that can be beat consistently, poker and sports betting.

Professional sports bettors take an entirely different approach to betting sports than the public does. Absolutely no "heart bets" for one thing (betting your favorite team just because).

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
            Member #4877
            May 30, 2004
            5118 Posts
            Posted: May 21, 2006, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

The "Wise Guys" in Las Vegas (bookies, professional gamblers in this use of "Wise Guys") figure of all gambling available, there are two and only two things that can be beat consistently, poker and sports betting.

Professional sports bettors take an entirely different approach to betting sports than the public does. Absolutely no "heart bets" for one thing (betting your favorite team just because).

Coin Toss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your statment.................is true.......Vegas has been BUILT on HOPES!

Had tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooVOTEeeeNOOOwayyyyy

"On ........................This<<<<<<<<<<<<ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

but.............................LOTTERYYYYYYY is a Differenttttttttttttttttttt$$$$

AnaMINACLEEE......CAMEL???

one HUMP or Two............................."JACKPOT"$$$$

someone on LP..... WILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hit<<<<<<<<<Woon.....S@@N!

United States
              Member #4877
              May 30, 2004
              5118 Posts
              Posted: May 21, 2006, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

Coin Toss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your statment.................is true.......Vegas has been BUILT on HOPES!

Had tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooVOTEeeeNOOOwayyyyy

"On ........................This<<<<<<<<<<<

but.............................LOTTERYYYYYYY is a Differenttttttttttttttttttt$$$$

AnaMINACLEEE......CAMEL???

one HUMP or Two............................."JACKPOT"$$$$

someone on LP..... WILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hit<<<<<<<<

"NO-WAY.......................anyone can live OFFFFFFFF a GAMBELLLLLL!!!!!!

unless.........."YOU HAVE".........MILLIONS

..................."comming in from INCOME"

$$$$$$$$JACKPOT$$$$$$$????

United States
                Member #4877
                May 30, 2004
                5118 Posts
                Posted: May 21, 2006, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

"PROVE" toooooo...........ME...........or???

ANYONE>>>>>YOU>>>>>>ME>>>>>>.........................................."PROVES"$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

"Odds............are in "your"......FAVOR"?

United States
                  Member #4877
                  May 30, 2004
                  5118 Posts
                  Posted: May 21, 2006, 8:56 pm - IP Logged

"PROVE" toooooo...........ME...........or???

ANYONE>>>>>YOU>>>>>>ME>>>>>>.........................................."PROVES"$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

"Odds............are in "your"......FAVOR"?

ForGIVeeeeeeeeeeeeeee......................................PSYKOMO...........pleaseeee,,,,,,,,,,PleasEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

"Vote ,,,,,,,,,"yesssssssssssss".............eeeeeggggggeeeeyess...............

thank you..........thank you................////////THANK_____YOUUUWHO????

for................"AL".........GORIEEEEE &..........(next PRES)....... ......."CON".....................<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<from>>>>

the great state of TN........we worship AL GORIEEEEEEEEEEE, because???

He has money$$$$$L@@Ks................AL......speaks..............whiteman'ss

TRUTH>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>"YES".......it is true....... HE rides on a DONKEY!

QUESTION???????????????

AL......???????do you play lottery.........

like weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeDOOOOOOOOOO$$$$$????????

United States
                    Member #4877
                    May 30, 2004
                    5118 Posts
                    Posted: May 21, 2006, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

I notice I can hit numbers.  Alot.  And I notice ALOT of other people can hit too.  Alot.  Mostly in pick 3 and pick 4, and alot of times these are big hits. 

So, I was wondering, if anyone, felt they could hit consistent enough, with big enough hits, say, about $1k-$2k (or even much more), every week, or every other week, would you make a living off of the lottery?  Or, no matter how many times you hit, and no matter how long your "hitting" lasts, would you always view it as a "recreational" income?

THANK.......YOU??????Cashman87!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

L@@K'ssssssssssssssLike you got it FINGEReeeetttttteddddOUT? 

"MAKE >>>>BIG>>>>>>>MONEY>>>>>>PRODUCE A BIG MOVIEEEEEEEE

getttttttttttttttBOUND//////////wwwwHOLLEYHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

"GO........AL GORE!!!!!!!!!!!!&&HOLLLeyHOODDDD!

sfilippo's avatar - skull
                      Oklahoma
                      United States
                      Member #33770
                      February 24, 2006
                      3146 Posts
                      Posted: May 22, 2006, 8:14 am - IP Logged

> I voted no, because the lotteries are so fickle and you just can't beat a steady job.

Smiley Steve