Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 12:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Solution t This Gas Extortion

Topic closed. 60 replies. Last post 11 years ago by GASMETERGUY.

Page 1 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
Maryland
United States
Member #35590
March 20, 2006
185 Posts
Posted: May 2, 2006, 10:50 am - IP Logged

Almost everyone is saying that there is no solution to the high gas prices at the pump. The politicians say we should throw up our hands and surrender to the current gas extortion. They say do more car-pooling, buy a smaller car and cut back on other expenses. They say be happy because Europe is paying $6.00/gallon. We all need to buy gas for our autos….that is understood, and I am not suggesting we all give up driving.

But I say “Give-me-a-break”. I say something we can do something about it right now.

The answer is….To Divide And Conqueror.

If there are too many enemies massing against you and you are outnumbered and outgunned….then the solution is to divide your enemies. Find a way for them to turn upon each other….and there is nothing like money, profit and greed to cause even the closest bedfellows to fall out of love with each other.

There needs to be an organized movement throughout the United States to select one gas mogul and not to purchase petroleum from them for a period of at least three months. I say there is nothing like starting at the head of the snake…..the biggest Honcho Exxon-Mobile. Start hurting them in the pocket and we will be surprised to see how quickly there will be a sudden surplus of gas….and all the other nonsense excuses for raising prices will disappear.

As long as we continue to support these companies equally….they will have no reason to change their ways. So start with the big fish and let us see if he is motivated to communicate with his buddies.

No more Exxon gas for me!

J

Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
    Member #26882
    November 23, 2005
    1404 Posts
    Posted: May 2, 2006, 10:57 am - IP Logged

Well I feel your pain. I about cried when I put gas into my car yesterday and the gage hardly moved but my purse was empty! 2.99 a gallon

But does not Exxon-Mobile supply everyone? Even if you do not stop at their stations they would be the supplier for other stations? Just asking? How would a person know who the supplier was for every gas station? It may be a stupid question but it made me think of asking anyway LOL!
      konane's avatar - wallace
      Atlanta, GA
      United States
      Member #1265
      March 13, 2003
      3348 Posts
      Posted: May 2, 2006, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

Latest data says China is using about 40% of the world's crude and that % is climbing daily.

We haven't had a refinery built in 10 years due to "greens legislation" and our refineries are currently running at capacity.

"Greens" have pressured us into not drilling in the small section of ANWAR which was set aside for oil exploration.

Also these links to posts in my blog will give a more in depth explanation of why we are where we are with oil prices which are dictated by supply and demand on world markets.

Thank the environmentalists while you're at it because the vast majority of our problems now rest squarely on their shoulders.

Good luck to everyone!

NASHVILLE, TENN
        United States
        Member #33372
        February 20, 2006
        1044 Posts
        Posted: May 2, 2006, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

Gas is gas and it all comes from the same supplier.  Each large city has a "tank farm" which holds all the gas.  Each corner gas station orders from the same "tank farm".  The difference lies in the additives; additives which are added to the tanker truck while being filled.

The oil companies do operate oil  rigs all over the world.  Some of  the crude oil is shipped to refineries in the USA ( I do not know who owns the refineries) and from there is pumped via pipe lines to various tank farms. 

The oil companies will make money regardless of any boycott for they are all buddy/buddy.  However, I feel that a boycott is an excellant idea.  It would send a message.

My question is this:  "Who gets the $75.00 per barrel?"  Do the Arabs get it?  Do the oil companies get it?  Who gets the money?

konane's avatar - wallace
          Atlanta, GA
          United States
          Member #1265
          March 13, 2003
          3348 Posts
          Posted: May 2, 2006, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

Gas is gas and it all comes from the same supplier.  Each large city has a "tank farm" which holds all the gas.  Each corner gas station orders from the same "tank farm".  The difference lies in the additives; additives which are added to the tanker truck while being filled.

The oil companies do operate oil  rigs all over the world.  Some of  the crude oil is shipped to refineries in the USA ( I do not know who owns the refineries) and from there is pumped via pipe lines to various tank farms. 

The oil companies will make money regardless of any boycott for they are all buddy/buddy.  However, I feel that a boycott is an excellant idea.  It would send a message.

My question is this:  "Who gets the $75.00 per barrel?"  Do the Arabs get it?  Do the oil companies get it?  Who gets the money?

Actually I heard that the federal government gets more profit from gas through taxes than the oil companies do. 

Also just heard on the news that 20% of our gas production facilities are offline due to damage caused by Katrina and will remain offline for awhile longer.

Good luck to everyone!

Fourwayz's avatar - Trek Borgsym4.gif
            Godwin, NC
            United States
            Member #38644
            May 2, 2006
            8 Posts
            Posted: May 2, 2006, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

I try to do my part by driving my Honda 1987 Honda Accord (33+ MPG) and my 1988 Honda CRX (49+ MPG). Our truck and custom van are for "special" trips. That's where I'll hit them and "soften" the blow on my wallet!

More hay Trigger? "No thanks Roy, I'm stuffed."

Konformthismfs's avatar - lisasham
              CA
              United States
              Member #4429
              April 23, 2004
              426 Posts
              Posted: May 2, 2006, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

Some mechanic needs to come up with a conversion kit from electric forklifts to cars. Forklifts weight 2-3 times that of a car and then lift and carry 2-3 times the weight of a car, all day long without needing a charge.  And what i've seen of them, the batteries are not that big. The cost of converting a car could easily be made up from savings on not buying gas, not buying oil changes, not buying tune-ups, etc...

It's not what you got,  It's what you give,  It's not the life you choose, It's the life you live! Guitar

Columbia City, Indiana
                United States
                Member #2978
                December 9, 2003
                381 Posts
                Posted: May 2, 2006, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

An excellent idea but, unfortunately, the American people will not inconvenience themselves for a common cause. If there's a Mobil station on the corner where they buy their gas on their way to or from work, they won't drive six blocks out of their way to buy from Citgo.

If you want to fight the high price of gas, buy crude oil options or invest in oil service companies such as Schlumberger, Inc. It won't bring the price of gasoline down, but you'll make enough money to pay for your gas for the next year.

As long as China and India continue to develop their free-market economies, the demand for crude oil and all of its byproducts will continue to increase. Also, Iran is in a position to disrupt the entire world oil supply, should their president elect to do so, and I expect that he will, probably within the next sixty days. When this happens, we'll be paying around $4.50/ gallon or more, as the price of crude spikes to around $130/ bbl overnight. At this point, President Bush will order the release of our strategic reserves, but it still won't be enough; it might bring the price down by about twenty cents per gallon but that relief will only be temporary.

If anyone is to blame here, it's people like me; investors and speculators who trade commodities and commodity options. There are only so many contracts to be had, so for every investor who makes money on a contract, there's someone else on the other end of the trade who lost an equal amount.

It's not that difficult; if you've ever bought something at an open auction, you have the ability, with a little study, to trade commodities in your chosen market.

Barring the complete obliteration of the exchanges, the price of crude oil will continue to rise, which means the price of gasoline will also continue to rise. As I mentioned, any relief will be temporary, since our government isn't going to sanction or otherwise impose unwelcome tax liabilities on the oil companies. Even if they did, Big Oil would only pass that liability on to the end consumer, and they would probably move their operations out of the country as well.

Sorry to say it, folks, but we're stuck with high gas prices for the long haul. 

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim

four4me's avatar - gate1
                  MD
                  United States
                  Member #1701
                  June 18, 2003
                  8390 Posts
                  Posted: May 2, 2006, 2:00 pm - IP Logged

It's not just gas prices that are affected by the rising cost of oil. Crude oil is also used in many products, all plastics are made from oil as well as tires, asphalt and automotive products. Where fuel is concerned there just aren't enough refining outfits to meet the demand for gas consumshion.

What kills me is the automakers haven't come up with a viable engine which would run without the gas. Or use less of it for power. The automakers are in cahoots with the oil companies and oil has replaced gold in the money market so to speak.

Because of this we will all suffer. If they don't come up with a plan to phase out gasoline engines they will continue to suck the oil out of the ground until it's all gone.

Boycotting didn't work in the 70's and it won't work in the 2000's. About the only way it might work is if everyone in the US and other countries except for police, fire, and emergency vehicles. Didn't put fuel in their cars for say 3 days. And that aint gonna happen because many industries that deliver goods and services require the use of fuel and airplanes need to fly. These companies might be bankrupted as a result of such action. The oil companies know this and that is the mechanism that drives them === people needing fuel.

hence the saying "they have us over the barrel"

dnroth's avatar - pryd

United States
                    Member #37110
                    April 10, 2006
                    43 Posts
                    Posted: May 2, 2006, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

It's not just gas prices that are affected by the rising cost of oil. Crude oil is also used in many products, all plastics are made from oil as well as tires, asphalt and automotive products. Where fuel is concerned there just aren't enough refining outfits to meet the demand for gas consumshion.

What kills me is the automakers haven't come up with a viable engine which would run without the gas. Or use less of it for power. The automakers are in cahoots with the oil companies and oil has replaced gold in the money market so to speak.

Because of this we will all suffer. If they don't come up with a plan to phase out gasoline engines they will continue to suck the oil out of the ground until it's all gone.

Boycotting didn't work in the 70's and it won't work in the 2000's. About the only way it might work is if everyone in the US and other countries except for police, fire, and emergency vehicles. Didn't put fuel in their cars for say 3 days. And that aint gonna happen because many industries that deliver goods and services require the use of fuel and airplanes need to fly. These companies might be bankrupted as a result of such action. The oil companies know this and that is the mechanism that drives them === people needing fuel.

hence the saying "they have us over the barrel"

One interesting thing happened shortly after September 11, 2001 in Superior, Wisconsin.  Superior is home to a pipeline terminal for Enbridge.  A rumor raced through the town that the pipeline was going to be shutting down, or something to that effect.  It sent people running to the gas stations.  Well, the pipeline didn't shut down, and gas prices plummeted after the rush on the stations...

JAP69's avatar - alas
                      South Carolina
                      United States
                      Member #6
                      November 4, 2001
                      8795 Posts
                      Posted: May 2, 2006, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

I have seen and heard different stories in my lifetime where an Individual or small company came up with workings ideas for less gas consumption.

The best one I heard was where an individual bought a car in N.Y. state and was getting about 80 miles to a Gallon. He wrote the automaker about how pleased he was about it. Well the car company came to his home and gave him two or three vehicles for that one.
                      He was told that that vehicle was a test prototype and was not meant to be put on the sales floor. It got there somehow.

Gas companies and auto makers have been sleeping in the same bed for a long time.

Type

JAP69's avatar - alas
                        South Carolina
                        United States
                        Member #6
                        November 4, 2001
                        8795 Posts
                        Posted: May 2, 2006, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

They have been making gas powered engines for almost 100 years and they can not figure it out yet. Give me a break.

There should be enough knowledge out there to come up with a powerplant that does not require gas power.

I am quite certain space ships from other planets do not stop at the local gas pump.

Type

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                          Member #13130
                          March 30, 2005
                          2171 Posts
                          Posted: May 2, 2006, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

They have been making gas powered engines for almost 100 years and they can not figure it out yet. Give me a break.

There should be enough knowledge out there to come up with a powerplant that does not require gas power.

I am quite certain space ships from other planets do not stop at the local gas pump.

True. The Voyager & Pioneer spacecraft are still "phoning home".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_1 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_10 

It's not that the info is not there, it is that there is so much regulation in place. The gov't has been regulating the oil cos since the breakup of Standard Oil. Where you can build, what you can build, how much you can charge, etc. But the pols want to pass the blame in an election year. They won't even admit (or don't know) why oil is mainly priced in dollars on the world markets in the first place.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                          Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

cybero's avatar - cybero2
                            Michigan
                            United States
                            Member #7752
                            October 11, 2004
                            202 Posts
                            Posted: May 2, 2006, 10:35 pm - IP Logged

You know what this country really needs? This country needs a little "revolution" to stir the pot up! Then we need another "tea party" but not with tea! Then we need to march to Washington and "Take America Back" from all the fat cat politicians, REPUBLICANS, DEMOCRATS AND INDEPENDENTS!!

Kick all their a@$es out of office and start over! The country is in sad shape, makes me so sick I am ready to fly north to the land of maple leafs! Just look at how many people vote each presidential election, it is pitiful.

And yes I do vote, I vote every chance I get and if I don't like what u are doing I will vote to give yer a$% the boot! Nuff' said!

CyberO

Morrison, IL
                              United States
                              Member #4657
                              May 13, 2004
                              1884 Posts
                              Posted: May 2, 2006, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

Almost everyone is saying that there is no solution to the high gas prices at the pump. The politicians say we should throw up our hands and surrender to the current gas extortion. They say do more car-pooling, buy a smaller car and cut back on other expenses. They say be happy because Europe is paying $6.00/gallon. We all need to buy gas for our autos..that is understood, and I am not suggesting we all give up driving.

But I say "Give-me-a-break". I say something we can do something about it right now.

The answer is..To Divide And Conqueror.

If there are too many enemies massing against you and you are outnumbered and outgunned..then the solution is to divide your enemies. Find a way for them to turn upon each other..and there is nothing like money, profit and greed to cause even the closest bedfellows to fall out of love with each other.

There needs to be an organized movement throughout the United States to select one gas mogul and not to purchase petroleum from them for a period of at least three months. I say there is nothing like starting at the head of the snake...the biggest Honcho Exxon-Mobile. Start hurting them in the pocket and we will be surprised to see how quickly there will be a sudden surplus of gas..and all the other nonsense excuses for raising prices will disappear.

As long as we continue to support these companies equally..they will have no reason to change their ways. So start with the big fish and let us see if he is motivated to communicate with his buddies.

No more Exxon gas for me!

J

Actually, if you began boycotting one oil company, it might INCREASE the price of oil because if that action drives the company out of business, its competitors have less incentive to hold prices down. The only way to cure the prices is to just not use as much oil overall.