Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 10:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Solution t This Gas Extortion

Topic closed. 60 replies. Last post 11 years ago by GASMETERGUY.

Page 4 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
Morrison, IL
United States
Member #4657
May 13, 2004
1884 Posts
Posted: May 7, 2006, 12:58 am - IP Logged

Yeah, I have heard of someone developing a way to charge water enough to power an engine.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
    Member #2338
    September 17, 2003
    2063 Posts
    Posted: May 7, 2006, 12:28 pm - IP Logged

It's called steam. Steam cars have the same problems electric cars do. Range.

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: May 7, 2006, 12:46 pm - IP Logged

They need to put this technology in a car. As long as you don't get rear-ended, I think it'll work safely.

Fusion is the solution. I saw a show on the Science channel a while back, where they showed  a huge plant where the process of fusion was being experimented. This wharehouse sized plant could only produce one explosion/combustion once every few days or so. After the combustion, it had to be partially taken apart and cleaned, and wiped down, which took a few days. And that was just one explosion, so to speak. To run a car or anything else, they need to have a way to repeat those explosions constantly, without those interruptions. A long way to go, but well worth it.

A gallon of water will have the equivalence of 300 gallons of gasoline. And no dangerous residue and enviornmentally safe.

Fusion is the process that powers the sun and the stars. It is the reaction in which two atoms of hydrogen combine together, or fuse, to form an atom of helium. In the process some of the mass of the hydrogen is converted into energy. The easiest fusion reaction to make happen is combining deuterium (or “heavy hydrogen) with tritium (or “heavy-heavy hydrogen”) to make helium and a neutron. Deuterium is plentifully available in ordinary water. Tritium can be produced by combining the fusion neutron with the abundant light metal lithium. Thus fusion has the potential to be an inexhaustible source of energy.

To make fusion happen, the atoms of hydrogen must be heated to very high temperatures (100 million degrees) so they are ionized (forming a plasma) and have sufficient energy to fuse, and then be held together i.e. confined, long enough for fusion to occur. The sun and stars do this by gravity. More practical approaches on earth are magnetic confinement, where a strong magnetic field holds the ionized atoms together while they are heated by microwaves or other energy sources, and inertial confinement, where a tiny pellet of frozen hydrogen is compressed and heated by an intense energy beam, such as a laser, so quickly that fusion occurs before the atoms can fly apart.

Who cares?
      Scientists have sought to make fusion work on earth for over 40 years. If we are successful, we will have an energy source that is inexhaustible. One out of every 6500 atoms of hydrogen in ordinary water is deuterium, giving a gallon of water the energy content of 300 gallons of gasoline. In addition, fusion would be environmentally friendly, producing no combustion products or greenhouse gases. While fusion is a nuclear process, the products of the fusion reaction (helium and a neutron) are not radioactive, and with proper design a fusion power plant would be passively safe, and would produce no long-lived radioactive waste. Design studies show that electricity from fusion should be about the same cost as present day sources.

We’re getting close! While fusion sounds simple, the details are difficult and exacting. Heating, compressing and confining hydrogen plasmas at 100 million degrees is a significant challenge. A lot of science and engineering had to be learned to get fusion to where we are today. Both magnetic and inertial fusion programs expect to build their next experiments that will reach ignition and produce more energy than they consume shortly after the year 2000. If all goes well, commercial application should be possible by about 2020, providing humankind a safe, clean, inexhaustible energy source for the future.

New Mexico
        United States
        Member #12305
        March 10, 2005
        2984 Posts
        Posted: May 7, 2006, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

Back in the fifties and sixties people were inventing VoltsWagons, and you could buy a tiny car called the King Midget for next to nothing, looked like a jeap on a golf cart frame with a 5 HP motor.  Now inovation is illegal in the name of safety yet we pretend to still be a nation of inventors.

Where are the steam cars that use microwaves to heat the water, the hydrogen burning engines that produce water not that stupid fuel cell nonsense.  Or a water engine with enough compression to flash water vapor to steam using gasoline just for runing a cranking engine to get started. 

Frankly I think the there are too many people out for themselves for things to be fixed.  In Florida the criminals that run the government passed a law making all mobile homes worth $1,375. per title if a developer wants to buy the park to build something, it is legal stealing and the courts support it while we call it a crime against humanity when the Chinese throw people off land the government wants with little or no compensation. 

There is a mobile home park across from me where people who take home less then a grand a month are being tossed out of homes they own by greedy developers.  I speak out against this at the planning and zoning meeting and am ignored. The zombie like board pass the plan without even looking at the pictures of what the development will look like or asking questions.  Nothing like watching business in action when the fix is in.   

BobP

Back in the fifties and sixties people were inventing VoltsWagons, and you could buy a tiny car called the King Midget for next to nothing, looked like a jeap on a golf cart frame with a 5 HP motor.  Now inovation is illegal in the name of safety yet we pretend to still be a nation of inventors.

King Midget was a home-build kit.  But today the grandsons are out there posing as utility vehicles... Kawasaki Mule is an example.  Simple, light, perfect commuter vehicle.

Except the US Department of Transportation won't allow any state or city to let them on the roads.  No airbags, no Ralph Naderisms, too good on gas (or diesel) mileage.

But we're safer for not having the option of buying and using one.  That's the important thing.

I suppose.  Those King Midgets, Model A cars, 1953 Oldsmobiles WWII Jeeps weren't safe enough.  Certainly no safer than the unsafe Kawasaki Mule.

Weird, though.  They still allow rice rockets on the highway, Harley Davidsons, Hondos.  They don't have enough wheels to make them unsafe, I reckons.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

S.E.TN.
          United States
          Member #29824
          January 7, 2006
          29 Posts
          Posted: May 7, 2006, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

I have not purchased 1oz of any thing from Exxon since they destroyed the Alaskan enviroment then had the nerve to cry that it was costing them too much to clean up after that drunken slob that they hired destroyed it. Also, they just gave their CEO 400 million what the HE__ was that for?

Argue

Good luck to all that play.

United States
            Member #379
            June 5, 2002
            11296 Posts
            Posted: May 7, 2006, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

I have not purchased 1oz of any thing from Exxon since they destroyed the Alaskan enviroment then had the nerve to cry that it was costing them too much to clean up after that drunken slob that they hired destroyed it. Also, they just gave their CEO 400 million what the HE__ was that for?

Argue

Good luck to all that play.

I guess you mean: what the "sHELL" LOL

United States
              Member #17555
              June 22, 2005
              5582 Posts
              Posted: May 7, 2006, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

Boycotts do no good. They only transfer the surplus of gas, that might have been used for a particular station, and utilized it overseas, or some other outlet. The only person you're hurting is the owner of the station, who depends on people to shop for gas, and maybe buy something else, while the customer browses the store.

Like I said earlier in this post, the culprit is the oil companies. The price of crude oil, and the 18 percent tax on it. That's who we have to be mad at. However, even though the Gas companies are raking in the 7 or 8 cents net profit, I think they should lower it to like 3 or 4 cents, just to give the people a break, along with the cutting off of the 18 percent tax by the government.

The only drawback, is how the shareholders of the gas companies would feel about lowering the profit zone.

A catch 22. But atleast the govt. can afford to take off the 18 cents tax. Better than nothing.

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                FEMA Region V Camp #21
                United States
                Member #520
                July 27, 2002
                5699 Posts
                Posted: May 7, 2006, 2:18 pm - IP Logged

Any Seinfeld fans in here? Remember the episode where Kramer and Neuman wanted to start a rickshaw business? Lot of potential there today...Big Grin

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                  Charlotte NC
                  United States
                  Member #17406
                  June 18, 2005
                  4054 Posts
                  Posted: May 7, 2006, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

Any Seinfeld fans in here? Remember the episode where Kramer and Neuman wanted to start a rickshaw business? Lot of potential there today...Big Grin

Thumbs Up

takeemtothebank

LAVERNE MALONEY's avatar - smallgirl

United States
                    Member #1987
                    August 5, 2003
                    8968 Posts
                    Posted: May 7, 2006, 2:39 pm - IP Logged

I can remember back to when I was a little girl. I had a beautiful red car with silver chrome, horn, headlights, the works, the top of the line. In order to move this car I had two foot pedals, I would alternate press, right foot left foot. I could get around really well.

I use to go to the grocery store with the adults & could pedal & they would walk with me. Back then we had Duz laundry detergent with a free 8oz drinking glass inside. They would strap that big box of Duz laundry detergent on the flat back part of my car plus maybe a 5 lb bag of potatoes & we were home free. The adults would have those pull hand carts.

Perhaps on a much larger scale it would be nice to have one of those cars I had when I was very young. It does remind me of the Flintstones, but they used their feet. Or perhaps use the same concept as is used in those motorized chairs only on a larger scale.

Now of course neither of these options will get you to any long distance destinations, but it would be nice to see the motorized option explored.

NASHVILLE, TENN
                      United States
                      Member #33372
                      February 20, 2006
                      1044 Posts
                      Posted: May 7, 2006, 4:54 pm - IP Logged

General Motors produces an engine in Brazil that utilizes either alcohol or gasolone.  The engines have sensors that adjust the air flow to match the fuel.

Our government today is subsidizing the construction of ethynol plants in South Dakota and (rumor has it) one in Nashville.

There are millions of acres of once cultivated land doing nothing today but growing weeds as a scenic drive thru Mississippi will attest.  May I suggest the Natchez Trace.

Now if the government would only turn the southern moonshiner loose, we could fill every gas tank in America twice a day and three times on Sunday.  Every cultivateable acre of land would be planted with corn.  Alcohol would flow like water and cost just about as much.

There is one down side, however.  Alcohol might get your car drunk.  And alcohol makes her fenders fall off.

New Mexico
                        United States
                        Member #12305
                        March 10, 2005
                        2984 Posts
                        Posted: May 7, 2006, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

Two problems:

• The oil companies don't have a monopoly on fuel grown by farmers,
                        • Nobody has a monopoly on backyard stills,

which,

Assures it will remain verboten

Assures backyard entrepreneurs who try it will end up in the slammer with various other entrepreneurs involving verboten activities. 

The war against alcohol ain't entirely over  It's just been a sort of cold war since the repeal of prohibition. Our eyes are focused on the wars on drugs and terrorism, but the war on alcohol's equally important to keep us safe. 

Until gas prices got where they are I thought Johnson's war on poverty was put to bed, but sounds as though it might be coming back.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

konane's avatar - wallace
                          Atlanta, GA
                          United States
                          Member #1265
                          March 13, 2003
                          3348 Posts
                          Posted: May 7, 2006, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

Found this on another site but it gets the point across as to what's costs are involved in gas production, and to my knowledge this does not include all the embedded taxes time*treat was talking about.

I'm for developing an engine to burn canola oil.  Seems plentiful enough ... they're putting it into all kinds of foods on the basis it's "good for you."  For those who're allergic to it, it doesn't seem to live up to that definition so motor fuel seems a fine use.  

Good luck to everyone!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                            Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: May 7, 2006, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

I think the increase in gasoline prices is a ruse by the cereal companies. Last time I walked down that aisle in the supermarket, I thought I turned into a real estate office by mistake.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                              Member #2338
                              September 17, 2003
                              2063 Posts
                              Posted: May 7, 2006, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

Found this on another site but it gets the point across as to what's costs are involved in gas production, and to my knowledge this does not include all the embedded taxes time*treat was talking about.

I'm for developing an engine to burn canola oil.  Seems plentiful enough ... they're putting it into all kinds of foods on the basis it's "good for you."  For those who're allergic to it, it doesn't seem to live up to that definition so motor fuel seems a fine use.  

The best conversion vechicle for vegi oil is an old mercedes (like I own). Problem is you need warm temps out to use it. Same reason why there is a winter blend of diesel. Vegitable oil is still expensive though.