Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 9:52 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

LP members and lottery beliefs

Topic closed. 102 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Rip Snorter.

Page 2 of 7
PrintE-mailLink

Do you believe the lotteries can be beaten by any method other than luck?

No. It's all luck. [ 30 ]  [28.57%]
No, but some systems can help. [ 17 ]  [16.19%]
Yes. By some 'metaphysical' means. [ 3 ]  [2.86%]
Yes, by a combination of statistics and luck. [ 21 ]  [20.00%]
Yes, by studying patterns. [ 16 ]  [15.24%]
Yes, by something they call mystical, but isn't. [ 3 ]  [2.86%]
Yes, by hard work and study. [ 11 ]  [10.48%]
No, by hard work and study. [ 1 ]  [0.95%]
Yes, by buying a lot of computer programs. [ 2 ]  [1.90%]
No, by buying a lot of computer programs. [ 1 ]  [0.95%]
Total Valid Votes [ 105 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 13 ]  

United States
Member #17555
June 22, 2005
5582 Posts
Posted: June 8, 2006, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

I firmly believe that even when we think we're using logic, not just for the lottery, but any endeavor, there is something else always present at the scene, maybe a little, maybe alot, but the bottom line is that something from the pit of our stomachs give us that gut feeling which atleast in my case overrides everything else.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
    Member #5344
    June 30, 2004
    23641 Posts
    Posted: June 8, 2006, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

My vote was 'yes, by hard work and study.'

After being around here for a few months, I can see that players either have it or they don't, and the ones that have it keep on getting hits and those same players are constantly seeking and searching and working out new things all the time.

I've been able to do better than break-even, partly because of luck in the beginning, but more lately by recognizing other players skills and working with them and offering what I can.

working together will get us all there..

Working against each other will leave some far behind..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
      Member #5344
      June 30, 2004
      23641 Posts
      Posted: June 8, 2006, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

I agree with Lottomike. But most of all, I believe if it is your time to win... you will win no matter how it comes about. (luck? desiny?)

I love my time to win..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
        FEMA Region V Camp #21
        United States
        Member #520
        July 27, 2002
        5699 Posts
        Posted: June 8, 2006, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

I voted statistics and luck, but luck is 99%; statistics, timing, your time to win, hard work and study, gut feeling, random numbers, etc., all can contribute to a win.

Random numbers that are generated by the user get a bad rap. Sometimes we subconsiously do all that we can to self-destruct. If you let an RNG or a state-generated quick pick make the decision for you, you are allowing luck to be totally on your side and eliminating the self-destruction that we reap on ourselves with our own "smart" picks.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

New Mexico
          United States
          Member #12305
          March 10, 2005
          2984 Posts
          Posted: June 8, 2006, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

My vote was 'yes, by hard work and study.'

After being around here for a few months, I can see that players either have it or they don't, and the ones that have it keep on getting hits and those same players are constantly seeking and searching and working out new things all the time.

I've been able to do better than break-even, partly because of luck in the beginning, but more lately by recognizing other players skills and working with them and offering what I can.

No. It's all luck.[ 7 ]  [18.92%]

Yes. By some 'metaphysical' means.[ 2 ]  [5.41%]
          Yes, by a combination of statistics and luck.[ 11 ]  [29.73%]
          Yes, by studying patterns.[ 7 ]  [18.92%]

A worthy sentiment, tntea.  But almost 50 percent thus far believe it's all luck, or that luck plays a major role.

I've watched you carrying both ends of the 'working together' burden on the methods you've developed for an awfully long while.  Occasionally I've seen someone step in to give you a breather.

Where I come from that doesn't qualify as working together.

I've puzzled over this a bit, and I think maybe the answer's right there in front of us in the answers to this poll.  A lot of folks can let you, tntea provide 'lucky' numbers for them without having to believe it's anything but luck when they win.  And they don't have to take your work into account, nor to see themselves as having 'shirked', provided they believe it's all luck, or a major part of it's luck.

My step-brother, who did a lot of adventuring in his younger years once told me, "Adventure's 90 percent misery."  I've found over the years he was correct, though the misery is physical, and it's accompanied by a spiritual joy.

Luck, thinks I, shares a lot with adventure in that respect, except that luck is 90 percent work accompanied by a similar spiritual joy.

Folks who ride along on the luck you are making for them, tntea,  might cash in on the dollars, but they're missing the bonus.  And what most of them are doing has nothing to do with working together, or working against.  In fact, it has nothing to do with work.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10390 Posts
            Posted: June 8, 2006, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

Luck.  The playslips you fill out have the odds listed on the back of them and those odds are the number of combinations possible. If they could be beat consistently the games simply wouldn't be offered to be played.

There's a lot of knowledgable people on this board, if it was anything beyond luck someone would have already hit a jackpot.

Thousands of people a day track numbers, look for trends, cold numbers, hot numbers, "due" numbers, and what have you - and a clerk asks a person whose p[urchase comes to $19 and hands them a twenty if they want to but a Powerball ticket and that's the person who hits on a QP.

(I'm assuming we're talking the "big" lotteries here and not Pick 3 - Pick 4.) 

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how'd you enjoy the play?

four4me's avatar - gate1
              MD
              United States
              Member #1701
              June 18, 2003
              8393 Posts
              Posted: June 8, 2006, 10:37 pm - IP Logged
              Things i have thought about lottery numbers, to numerous to mention. Is there rhyme or reason. Where lottery numbers are concerned

So why is it when you play a certain set of numbers they draw every other number but the ones you chose. Why did they only draw 4 of your 5 how come every time a person plays 20 out of 25 pick 4 numbers they draw the one number they didn't play or you miss it by one digit. etc etc.

Luck it's luck.

A friend of mine told me a long time ago if your looking for the meaning of numbers and how they relate to you, you should try numerology. And apply it to the lottery

Knowing what numbers relate to you and when you should play them. Are all big part of numerology. Some people might even say phooey to that.

New Mexico
                United States
                Member #12305
                March 10, 2005
                2984 Posts
                Posted: June 8, 2006, 10:51 pm - IP Logged
                Things i have thought about lottery numbers, to numerous to mention. Is there rhyme or reason. Where lottery numbers are concerned

So why is it when you play a certain set of numbers they draw every other number but the ones you chose. Why did they only draw 4 of your 5 how come every time a person plays 20 out of 25 pick 4 numbers they draw the one number they didn't play or you miss it by one digit. etc etc.

Luck it's luck.

A friend of mine told me a long time ago if your looking for the meaning of numbers and how they relate to you, you should try numerology. And apply it to the lottery

Knowing what numbers relate to you and when you should play them. Are all big part of numerology. Some people might even say phooey to that.

Heck, Four4me.  There's probably nothing in the Universe a lot of people wouldn't say phooey about.

Fact is, most of us have probably thought a lot of things about the way the numbers work, except those who merely think it's entirely luck, and who don't have to think any more about it.

I've either learned an awfully lot about numbers over the last year or so (if there's something to be learned), or I haven't and am merely deluding myself in thinking I have.  Probably it could go either way.

Maybe the same applies to you.

Fact is, either we all have a lot left to learn about it, or there's nothing to learn. We all have our certainties, or near-certainties which of those is true.  I'm not surprised to see so much certainty and so little uncertainty in the posts, no matter what the viewpoints.  One thing we all have in common is we know we're right.

Looks as though 45 people have participated in the poll.  Probably the views they've expressed will, or would be fairly consistent among those who didn't participate, with similar statistics, though I'd imagine the percentage would begin to swing away over in favor of pure luck.

For all of you who've participated, or who might do so in the future, I'm obliged.  This has been something I've had on my mind for some while, wondering how folks thought about it.

I've found your posts interesting, if unsurprising.

Jack

Egos don't count.

JAP69's avatar - alas
                  South Carolina
                  United States
                  Member #6
                  November 4, 2001
                  8797 Posts
                  Posted: June 8, 2006, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

I have looked at created and used many systems in the lottery.
                  They all seem to work when you are mentally tuned in to the cycle of the numbers.

Your intuition is a part of picking the numbers.

How many times has a player said to themself. [ I knew it ]
                  Follow up on your intuition. It is either right or wrong.

Oo'Ka

Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
                    Member #26882
                    November 23, 2005
                    1404 Posts
                    Posted: June 8, 2006, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

Yes, by something they call mystical, but isn't

What is that supposed to mean?

If something is mystical then it is mystical so how could it not be? Just asking your logic on that one.

Thanks
                      Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
                      Washington State
                      United States
                      Member #33973
                      February 26, 2006
                      347 Posts
                      Posted: June 8, 2006, 11:27 pm - IP Logged

I play the large jackpot games almost entirely.  I think that in those luck is what really determines the winner, with only a small amount of "if it is your time" thrown in.  On such games, I think one might be able to minimize the chance that one has to split the pot in the event that one does win by avoiding certain number combinations, but that wouldn't help overcome the odds against winning.

With pick 3 and pick 4, though, I do believe that statistics, studying patterns and systems can help, though I still think luck is the largest factor.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                        Member #14
                        November 9, 2001
                        31537 Posts
                        Posted: June 8, 2006, 11:33 pm - IP Logged

I play the large jackpot games almost entirely.  I think that in those luck is what really determines the winner, with only a small amount of "if it is your time" thrown in.  On such games, I think one might be able to minimize the chance that one has to split the pot in the event that one does win by avoiding certain number combinations, but that wouldn't help overcome the odds against winning.

With pick 3 and pick 4, though, I do believe that statistics, studying patterns and systems can help, though I still think luck is the largest factor.

mostly agree with you on pick 3.  i work hard on it - luck is 2%

love to nibble those micey feet.

New Mexico
                          United States
                          Member #12305
                          March 10, 2005
                          2984 Posts
                          Posted: June 9, 2006, 12:26 am - IP Logged

Yes, by something they call mystical, but isn't

What is that supposed to mean?

If something is mystical then it is mystical so how could it not be? Just asking your logic on that one.

Thanks

Clair:

The key word is 'call' mystical.

Remote viewing, for instance, might be something they call mystical, but isn't, since it's reportedly been a piece of an organized government program involving training, methodology and acquired skills.

RV wasn't what I had in mind, but a lot of things in this reality get filed under 'mystical', metaphysical, etc., that probably won't be thought such when there's sufficient understanding of them to allow the scientific community to study them without being tainted.

If something is mystical then it is mystical so how could it not be?

Something you call mystical might well not be mystical for others who understand more about it.  But a person attempting to communicate anything to you about it would have to begin with your assumptions in order to form a foundation for any kind of communication.

Jack

Egos don't count.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                            Dump Water Florida
                            United States
                            Member #380
                            June 5, 2002
                            3112 Posts
                            Posted: June 9, 2006, 1:24 am - IP Logged

I think hard work, study and wheeling can get you into the 5 numbers range, but it takes luck to add the 6th correct number to that  line. 

I often find wheels hit a prize one tier above their guarantee.  A 2if wheel often returns a 3# prize. A 3if wheel often captures an 4# prize.  A 4# wheel has a fair chance of a 5# or multiple 4# prizes.  And of course a high percentage 5# guaranteed wheel for Pick-6 has that magic moment with luck because the biggest leap over odds is the jump from a 5# prize to a 6# prize.  BobP

lucky146's avatar - animal monkey.jpg
                              ny
                              United States
                              Member #40152
                              May 28, 2006
                              77 Posts
                              Posted: June 9, 2006, 10:53 am - IP Logged

I'd like to think there is a metasphysical way to crack lottery. However I believe one still needs luck/blessings of heaven to win.