Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

dog racing

Topic closed. 64 replies. Last post 10 years ago by jarasan.

Page 1 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: July 15, 2006, 3:46 am - IP Logged

does anyone here ever go to the dog races?

Pa
    United States
    Member #2485
    October 9, 2003
    319 Posts
    Posted: July 15, 2006, 5:27 am - IP Logged

I have been to them in W VA.

United States
      Member #16612
      June 2, 2005
      3493 Posts
      Posted: July 18, 2006, 11:35 am - IP Logged

I never go to dog races LOTTOMIKE. Grammy3, how much do you pay to see these races?

NASHVILLE, TENN
        United States
        Member #33372
        February 20, 2006
        1044 Posts
        Posted: August 3, 2006, 12:43 am - IP Logged

When I lived in Millington I would attend the track in West Memphis, Arkansas.  I enjoyed the dogs.  They are the only form of gambling I did enjoy.  When I go to Pensacola, I usually find one night to attend the dogs while there.

Haven't been to a track in almost two years.  I do miss 'em.

No, I do not enjoy losing with Cash 5.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: August 3, 2006, 2:22 am - IP Logged

Only to protest them!  I have a hard enough time walking down the street in this heat. Imagine running around a track in it. Dogs love to run and compete, and watching the agility races in comfortable, indoor stadiums is a real treat. These wonderful, loyal companions spend most of their lives in crates. They are over-breeded for profit and then selected for racing, killing the thousands of puppies that don't make the grade. The average racing life for a greyhound is 3 years. They can live up to 14 years. Do the math. Using animals for betting is cruel and inhumane.

New Mexico
            United States
            Member #12305
            March 10, 2005
            2984 Posts
            Posted: August 4, 2006, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

Only to protest them!  I have a hard enough time walking down the street in this heat. Imagine running around a track in it. Dogs love to run and compete, and watching the agility races in comfortable, indoor stadiums is a real treat. These wonderful, loyal companions spend most of their lives in crates. They are over-breeded for profit and then selected for racing, killing the thousands of puppies that don't make the grade. The average racing life for a greyhound is 3 years. They can live up to 14 years. Do the math. Using animals for betting is cruel and inhumane.

Justx:

There's certainly merit to what your saying, but it's a bit selective.

If you eat eggs, or eat chicken, pay a visit to a layer facility.... Cal-Maine's probably got one somewhere near you.

If you drink milk, visit a modern dairy operation.

The guy across the road from me has a greyhound that occasionally gets out and kills anything it can catch, which is just about anything it sees from birds to cats to chickens to ducks, to other, smaller dogs.

I've offered to kill that wonderful, loyal companion for him if it comes after my cats, which he prefers I not do.

Frankly, given the choice, I'd rather see it locked in a crate.

J

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

Coastal Georgia
              United States
              Member #2653
              October 30, 2003
              1866 Posts
              Posted: August 4, 2006, 4:25 pm - IP Logged

Oh boy.....

this thread is going to get mighty interesting...

PS ...I am an animal lover of all types...

DD

New Mexico
                United States
                Member #12305
                March 10, 2005
                2984 Posts
                Posted: August 4, 2006, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

Oh boy.....

this thread is going to get mighty interesting...

DD

So do I DD. 

I hate to see any animal mistreated, or mal-treated by a human being.  Be it livestock, dogs, cats, circus animals, laboratory animals, zoo animals, or wild critters (until they come for something I value).

But I also hate to see neighbors go to war over conflicting pet interests.

I've always warned my neighbors repeatedly when their loose dogs were scattering my garbage from hell to breakfast, before I inserted the dogs into the garbage can.

I've always given ample warning when loose dogs were stealing my muddy boots off the porch and leaving the tattered remains in the yard, before I inserted those animals into the garbage can.

I've always had the alternative of just doing it without warning, which would have saved me a lot of neighbor trouble.  Would have been a lot easier and saved a lot of trouble over the years.

I don't dislike dogs, but I hate vandals, no matter what species.

Those racing dogs are doing what racing dogs do.  They're better off doing that than over here trying to kill my cats or scatter my garbage.

J

Egos don't count.

Coastal Georgia
                  United States
                  Member #2653
                  October 30, 2003
                  1866 Posts
                  Posted: August 4, 2006, 4:49 pm - IP Logged

Jack: I have a ton of cats and if a dog gets after them I will also kick some tail... Doesn't mean I don't love them but ya gotta draw the line.

Cannot deal with that.......

DD

New Mexico
                    United States
                    Member #12305
                    March 10, 2005
                    2984 Posts
                    Posted: August 4, 2006, 8:53 pm - IP Logged

Jack: I have a ton of cats and if a dog gets after them I will also kick some tail... Doesn't mean I don't love them but ya gotta draw the line.

Cannot deal with that.......

DD

Myself.

Humans are easily the sorriest creatures on this planet. 

Keeping layer houses with 3/4 million chickens boxed three deep in 3x3x3' cages their whole lives, keeping dairy cows 10,000 to 5 acres of pen, using any creature they can catch as badly as they need to squeeze another nickle profit from it.

Lab animals having more bizarre things done to them so women can have colorful eyelids and scented vaginas than anyone would allow to happen to a baby seal or endangered chicken killing bird of prey.

Feeding and pampering those killer dogs, kissing them on the mouth and turning them loose to slaughter kids and livestock and pets.  Crap in the neighbor yards, scatter the garbage, dig up the garden.

Then get fighting mad when someone puts a stop to it.

Sorrier than dung beetles, humans.

J

Egos don't count.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                      Tennessee
                      United States
                      Member #7853
                      October 15, 2004
                      11338 Posts
                      Posted: August 4, 2006, 9:17 pm - IP Logged

Myself.

Humans are easily the sorriest creatures on this planet. 

Keeping layer houses with 3/4 million chickens boxed three deep in 3x3x3' cages their whole lives, keeping dairy cows 10,000 to 5 acres of pen, using any creature they can catch as badly as they need to squeeze another nickle profit from it.

Lab animals having more bizarre things done to them so women can have colorful eyelids and scented vaginas than anyone would allow to happen to a baby seal or endangered chicken killing bird of prey.

Feeding and pampering those killer dogs, kissing them on the mouth and turning them loose to slaughter kids and livestock and pets.  Crap in the neighbor yards, scatter the garbage, dig up the garden.

Then get fighting mad when someone puts a stop to it.

Sorrier than dung beetles, humans.

J

i'm an animal lover too.i'm 31 years old and have had three chihuahuas in my whole lifetime.one lived till i was 13 and was killed by a pit bull which i then killed for doing that to my dog which i had to witness unfortunately in the act of tearing my dog to shreds that i grew up with my whole life.had another one that was around until i was 24 he got killed by a car when i let my mother keep him.the one i have now will be seven his next birthday and i learned my lesson from the first two incidents and keep this one strictly in the house.i agree with ya jack.i don't like the thought of some vicious dog tearing up my belongings or animals.

New Mexico
                        United States
                        Member #12305
                        March 10, 2005
                        2984 Posts
                        Posted: August 5, 2006, 7:51 am - IP Logged

i'm an animal lover too.i'm 31 years old and have had three chihuahuas in my whole lifetime.one lived till i was 13 and was killed by a pit bull which i then killed for doing that to my dog which i had to witness unfortunately in the act of tearing my dog to shreds that i grew up with my whole life.had another one that was around until i was 24 he got killed by a car when i let my mother keep him.the one i have now will be seven his next birthday and i learned my lesson from the first two incidents and keep this one strictly in the house.i agree with ya jack.i don't like the thought of some vicious dog tearing up my belongings or animals.

Sorry about your dog, Mike.

Chihuahuas might make good racing dogs. 

Smaller track, maybe 30 yards in diameter, done in a pit the way they do with fights.... small crowds holding up wads of bills at one another, swivel-arm in the middle of the track has a mouse on it for them to chase.  You could do it where it's illegal, same as fights are done.

Price of maintenance on the dogs goes way down, tablespoon of food a day, a cup of water, a footlocker for each one to live in.  No serious bites for the trainers/keepers.

I'm surprised nobody's thought of that before. 

Remember where you heard it first.

Egos don't count.

New Mexico
                          United States
                          Member #12305
                          March 10, 2005
                          2984 Posts
                          Posted: August 5, 2006, 8:04 am - IP Logged

Sorry about your dog, Mike.

Chihuahuas might make good racing dogs. 

Smaller track, maybe 30 yards in diameter, done in a pit the way they do with fights.... small crowds holding up wads of bills at one another, swivel-arm in the middle of the track has a mouse on it for them to chase.  You could do it where it's illegal, same as fights are done.

Price of maintenance on the dogs goes way down, tablespoon of food a day, a cup of water, a footlocker for each one to live in.  No serious bites for the trainers/keepers.

I'm surprised nobody's thought of that before. 

Remember where you heard it first.

Some days you could race miniature Doberman Pincers against Chihuahuas, Pekinese, miniature Irish Wolfhounds.  Make it a sort of nationalism thing.  Irishmen chugging warm beer, yelling at big Teutonic Robert (Jaws, Battle of the Bulge) Shaw types, Zorro types, Charlie Chan types.

Maybe have flags of the various nations represented waving over the arena.... Red stars, swastikas, eagles killing rattlesnakes..... what? shamrocks? 

Background music coming from each section.  Deutchland Uber Alles.  Horst Wessel Song.  Accordians playing Wagner.  Guitars and trumpets playing mariachi canciones, Aiken Drum, jigs, tearjerker Celtic ballads, and the sound of cats fighting and water dripping into a bucket (Chinese).

Yep, I think there's a future in that.

They could get Jimmy Sand to pronounce the odds on each animal and work out the nuts and bolts details for the races.  Give him a start in the biz.

Egos don't count.

New Mexico
                            United States
                            Member #12305
                            March 10, 2005
                            2984 Posts
                            Posted: August 5, 2006, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

Some days you could race miniature Doberman Pincers against Chihuahuas, Pekinese, miniature Irish Wolfhounds.  Make it a sort of nationalism thing.  Irishmen chugging warm beer, yelling at big Teutonic Robert (Jaws, Battle of the Bulge) Shaw types, Zorro types, Charlie Chan types.

Maybe have flags of the various nations represented waving over the arena.... Red stars, swastikas, eagles killing rattlesnakes..... what? shamrocks? 

Background music coming from each section.  Deutchland Uber Alles.  Horst Wessel Song.  Accordians playing Wagner.  Guitars and trumpets playing mariachi canciones, Aiken Drum, jigs, tearjerker Celtic ballads, and the sound of cats fighting and water dripping into a bucket (Chinese).

Yep, I think there's a future in that.

They could get Jimmy Sand to pronounce the odds on each animal and work out the nuts and bolts details for the races.  Give him a start in the biz.

Blank-a-doodle-doo

I just noticed the noun meaning male, ground-feeding bird is too nasty to see the light of day in print.

All those references to fights in Mikes entry above actually began their lives as fights involving unmentionable feathered creatures.

The auto-censor prudently removed them.

Blank a doodle doo

Egos don't count.

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                              FEMA Region V Camp #21
                              United States
                              Member #520
                              July 27, 2002
                              5699 Posts
                              Posted: August 5, 2006, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

Jack, you are in rare form today.  I like the chihuahua racing concept and Jimmy Sand is the man to put it all together.

How a breeder handles or abuses his dogs is his problem,  not a problem of the sport.  If you know someone abusing an animal report them to the anti-cruelty society.  There are laws against it.  A jockey just got suspended from racing for head butting a horse. 

My cat's like racing each other around the house.  Dogs race each other every day at our parks.  Come to think of it, what mammal  doesn't like running with its own kind?  Maybe animals inherently like to race.  I know that humans do.  I don't see anything cruel about racing per se.

To answer Mike's question,  I've been to the chihuahua races once and discovered I did better with horses.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).