Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 3:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

dog racing

Topic closed. 64 replies. Last post 10 years ago by jarasan.

Page 4 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
FEMA Region V Camp #21
United States
Member #520
July 27, 2002
5699 Posts
Posted: August 13, 2006, 9:18 pm - IP Logged

All I can say, it's good debate, done with respect and shows me that Andy Rooney's stupid lottery players aren't all that stupid.

Whole lot of intelligence shines through here on occasion.

But I still like Mike's chihuahua races in his backyard.  (Obviously I'm not contributing to the intelligence guotient here).

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: August 15, 2006, 3:43 am - IP Logged

(Obviously I'm not contributing to the intelligence guotient here).

Sure you are, Rick.  I look forward to seeing your smiling face every time I sign onto LP!

New Mexico
      United States
      Member #12305
      March 10, 2005
      2984 Posts
      Posted: August 15, 2006, 10:37 am - IP Logged

All I can say, it's good debate, done with respect and shows me that Andy Rooney's stupid lottery players aren't all that stupid.

Whole lot of intelligence shines through here on occasion.

But I still like Mike's chihuahua races in his backyard.  (Obviously I'm not contributing to the intelligence guotient here).

Rick:

I agree.  The high point of the thread was definitely LottoMike's innovation with the miniature dog races.

Seems to me there's a whole world to be explored with this to get people interested in new kinds of running competitions.  Taylor, Texas, and Deming, New Mexico, already have duck races, which I think is a good launchpad for going beyond the ordinary.

For instance, a town in Texas named Hutto has a ball team, the Hutto Hippos.  That might be a good location for the first hippopottomous races.

Pigeon enthusiasts already have homing pigeon races, and falconeers have competitions between themselves.

But nobody's ever tried pigeon races with raptors chasing them.... a sort of double, dual species competition.

I recall hearing or reading somewhere there's a turtle or tortoise race competition.... that sounds like something that could also take off and become a major racing sport.

Yep, Mike's come up with a lot of good ideas.

J

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

FEMA Region V Camp #21
        United States
        Member #520
        July 27, 2002
        5699 Posts
        Posted: August 15, 2006, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

Rick:

I agree.  The high point of the thread was definitely LottoMike's innovation with the miniature dog races.

Seems to me there's a whole world to be explored with this to get people interested in new kinds of running competitions.  Taylor, Texas, and Deming, New Mexico, already have duck races, which I think is a good launchpad for going beyond the ordinary.

For instance, a town in Texas named Hutto has a ball team, the Hutto Hippos.  That might be a good location for the first hippopottomous races.

Pigeon enthusiasts already have homing pigeon races, and falconeers have competitions between themselves.

But nobody's ever tried pigeon races with raptors chasing them.... a sort of double, dual species competition.

I recall hearing or reading somewhere there's a turtle or tortoise race competition.... that sounds like something that could also take off and become a major racing sport.

Yep, Mike's come up with a lot of good ideas.

J

Jack,

There are turtle races but I don't think there's organized betting available.  Another thing on the to-do list for Mike and Jimmy S.

When I put my turtles into the competition,  they will have been well-fed, well-housed and in peak physical condition.  No steroids either.  Don't want my turtles getting into 'roid rage.

New Mexico
          United States
          Member #12305
          March 10, 2005
          2984 Posts
          Posted: August 15, 2006, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

Jack,

There are turtle races but I don't think there's organized betting available.  Another thing on the to-do list for Mike and Jimmy S.

When I put my turtles into the competition,  they will have been well-fed, well-housed and in peak physical condition.  No steroids either.  Don't want my turtles getting into 'roid rage.

Don't want my turtles getting into 'roid rage

Excellent point, Rick.  I've seen something in an amphibian that might have been 'roid rage (I think in retrospect).

Back in the late '60s several young bucks I ran around with in Port Lavaca, Texas, and I were out at Hog Bayou or Green Lake .... messing around.  We caught a 4 foot alligator, had nothing special in mind for it, so we tied it up, put it into a gunny sack and tossed it into the turtle of the car for later consideration.

We were all medium drunk when we pulled up in front of the home of my friends, Leonard, Richard and Victor Sturm.  Someone popped the trunk lid and out jumped that alligator, probably infected with 'roid-rage.

Spang chased a kid named Tony halfway down the block snapping at his heels every step.

No organized betting on that one, but there could be, and it would be a crowd pleaser for sure.

Another dual-species foot race for LottoMike to put into the hopper.

It's a bit of a letdown here that nobody cared for the backward-skunk-race, though.  I think it might be among my favorites. 

J

Egos don't count.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
            Tennessee
            United States
            Member #7853
            October 15, 2004
            11338 Posts
            Posted: August 17, 2006, 8:00 am - IP Logged

here is skeeter my chihuahua!!

New Mexico
              United States
              Member #12305
              March 10, 2005
              2984 Posts
              Posted: August 17, 2006, 12:22 pm - IP Logged

here is skeeter my chihuahua!!

Miguel:

You should have named him Red.  Hounddog looks for all the world like a tiny red X.

Amazing what those breeders are able to do these days with selective breeding and maybe recombinant DNA scrambling.

He's a tiny thing, but he ought to be fast with no wind resistance to speak of. 

J

Egos don't count.

United States
                Member #17555
                June 22, 2005
                5582 Posts
                Posted: August 17, 2006, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

When I lived in San Andreas CA a few years ago, I heard that the biggest yearly event was the frog jumping contest.

That's when I moved....

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: August 17, 2006, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

When I lived in San Andreas CA a few years ago, I heard that the biggest yearly event was the frog jumping contest.

That's when I moved....

Warts wrong with that?  I think the turtle racing sound exciting.  I went to one where a turtle won by a hare.

(sorry, I'm entertaining myself)

Racing your pets for fun and even a little gambling is harmless. I think you all know that wasn't what my "ranting" was all about.

United States
                    Member #17555
                    June 22, 2005
                    5582 Posts
                    Posted: August 17, 2006, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

Warts wrong with that?  I think the turtle racing sound exciting.  I went to one where a turtle won by a hare.

(sorry, I'm entertaining myself)

Racing your pets for fun and even a little gambling is harmless. I think you all know that wasn't what my "ranting" was all about.

went to one where a turtle won by a hare.

HA! That was a good one.

You must have SHELLED out a few bucks to see that one...LOL

I know what you mean about the dogs here in Bonita. I did hear they were treated bad.

FEMA Region V Camp #21
                      United States
                      Member #520
                      July 27, 2002
                      5699 Posts
                      Posted: August 17, 2006, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

Mike,

Skeeter is a shoe-in to win the innaugural American Chihuahua Racing Championship next month in Memphis.

Hope he gets a middle post position so he can give all his competitors that evil red eye.  They'll be running the opposite direction before the race starts.

I can tell you're a good breeder and trainer.  There's no poop on the floor next to him. 

Will betslips be carrying the action?  I want to bet a quarter on that race.  Keep us posted.

Tennessee
                        United States
                        Member #7853
                        October 15, 2004
                        11338 Posts
                        Posted: August 17, 2006, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

Tennessee
                          United States
                          Member #7853
                          October 15, 2004
                          11338 Posts
                          Posted: August 17, 2006, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

rick i had a dream i put skeeter in a greyhound race and he got trampled.they ran over him and left him in the dust.only thing is he preservered and made it to the end of the race and flew by the others for the win.

FEMA Region V Camp #21
                            United States
                            Member #520
                            July 27, 2002
                            5699 Posts
                            Posted: August 19, 2006, 8:03 pm - IP Logged

rick i had a dream i put skeeter in a greyhound race and he got trampled.they ran over him and left him in the dust.only thing is he preservered and made it to the end of the race and flew by the others for the win.

Mike,

You gotta keep Skeeter in the Chihuahua races...can't let him race against the big boys...keep him in his own class.

I was watching my cats chasing each other this morning.  The trailer is usually no more than a length behind the leader and the lead changes regularly to keep a bettor interested.  A little catnip got the race started.

Anyhow, I got to thinking...there's no fun watching dogs chase a mechanical rabbit on a rail.  So I have this idea that you and Jimmy Sand should work on.  Inter-Breed Simultaneous Racing and Wagering.

Cats and dogs racing each other at the same time.  Five cats in a starting gate five feet ahead of the chihuahuas.  The bettor has two options...the first cat to cross the finish line or the first dog to sniff the bee-hind of the trailing cat.  4-1 odds on either bet.

What do you think? 

BILOXI, MISSISSIPPI
                              United States
                              Member #19651
                              August 3, 2005
                              621 Posts
                              Posted: August 19, 2006, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

Racing Pigs thats cool