Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 4:50 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

a rumor...don imus to join a state lottery for work

Topic closed. 81 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Rick G.

Page 3 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

would you object in any way don imus working a job with your state lottery?

i feel he should be able to [ 20 ]  [47.62%]
i'm against him being able to [ 13 ]  [30.95%]
not sure [ 9 ]  [21.43%]
Total Valid Votes [ 42 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: April 13, 2007, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

I also think many celebrities continue to work "way past the age of retirement" because they love living and they know that they'll likely die soon after they stop doing what they love to do.  Haven't you ever heard of the guy/gal who diligently worked for a given company or served in the military 20 or 30 years only to die within the first year of "retirement?"  That is why I say I will never retire...but I also don't plan to HAVE to work just to make a living...I merely plan to continue working so I can live and enjoy life.

Oh, I agree that many people enjoy working.  No argument here.  I always plan to be active, but I certainly want to be doing something I like.  Sometimes one's celebrity status gives him the opportunity to do a lot of good, not only with the money that he or she earns, but with the name recognition. That wasn't my point at all.  I was responding to all the discussions about Mr. Imus being fired and how his livelihood is being taken away. 

There are all kinds of personalities, and people do things for a number of different reasons.  Seems that you post a rebuttal to just about every comment I post on this board.  I don't care really, but it's something I've observed for a while.  I'm not in the mood to argue. 

lottery lady's avatar - nicebear
    Illinois
    United States
    Member #1718
    June 21, 2003
    4827 Posts
    Posted: April 13, 2007, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

I dont think Imus should of been fired. There are people who

have done and said worse than what he did. And nothing ever

happened to them.  And now there saying there still not done

with him.

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: April 13, 2007, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

I feel Ya Lottery Lady!

Hypocrisy abounds.

One defense cited by the critics was that Imus was speaking directly to the innocent basketball team, and that's what set it apart from all others who have used slurrs in the past.

I guess it's ok for Reverend Jesse Jackson to insult all the "innocent" jews in NYC and call it "Hymie Town". But that's OK...an appology, and he's on his way....

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
        Member #41383
        June 16, 2006
        1969 Posts
        Posted: April 13, 2007, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

I'm so sick and GD tired with reading about this Don Imus deal..........

If it was most anybody else....

If it was a guy in North Dakota...

If it was a guy not syndicated all over the place.....

If it was you or me....

Nobody would care, nobody would even know.....

I feel these folks on the Rutgers team need to grow up A LOT and stop whining about how they were somehow 'wronged' and get over it, but they choose to just whine and whimper and concentrate ALL of their 'energy' on this 'deal'.... they need to focus on their GAME.

Trust me when I say - these 'kids' have been called A LOT worse by opposing players and opposing fans, they need to just shut up and show the world they are better than what a particular person says they are. 

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
          Tennessee
          United States
          Member #7853
          October 15, 2004
          11338 Posts
          Posted: April 13, 2007, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

i agree guesser.the man was wrong but i think his punishment was way too severe.whats going to happen to the girl who accused the duke players of rape and she lied and destroyed them.its the 'ol double standard......

United States
            Member #17555
            June 22, 2005
            5582 Posts
            Posted: April 13, 2007, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

I basically grew up in the bronx with Felix the cat. Not to lessen the importance like a classic cartoon named "Vavoom". He was a caveman that blew holes through obstructions, like mountains and thick brush...etc...He would bellow out a big yelp. VAVOOM! And boom...a hole appeared.

Don't forget.." How much is that gorilla in the window?" That was a classic too. Magilla gorilla....

United States
              Member #17555
              June 22, 2005
              5582 Posts
              Posted: April 13, 2007, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

i agree guesser.the man was wrong but i think his punishment was way too severe.whats going to happen to the girl who accused the duke players of rape and she lied and destroyed them.its the 'ol double standard......

Not to mention Al Sharpton. Tawana Brawley comes to mind...

United States
                Member #17555
                June 22, 2005
                5582 Posts
                Posted: April 13, 2007, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

Does this mean I can't do blonde jokes anymore?,..... LOL

dover delaware
                  United States
                  Member #4466
                  April 26, 2004
                  1193 Posts
                  Posted: April 13, 2007, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

whats the old saying...sticks and bones may break my bones but words will never hurt me....this has been blown way out....lesonook

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19831 Posts
                    Posted: April 13, 2007, 10:10 pm - IP Logged

whats the old saying...sticks and bones may break my bones but words will never hurt me....this has been blown way out....lesonook

If you really believe that, I hope you never go into the wrong neighborhood and address a group of strangers you've never met or know personally and address them in a similar manner because they may teach you some manners or do worse.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19831 Posts
                      Posted: April 13, 2007, 10:17 pm - IP Logged

That girl probably will have the same problem as Imus with her career, she'll probably never be hired to work a strip party again.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                        Tennessee
                        United States
                        Member #7853
                        October 15, 2004
                        11338 Posts
                        Posted: April 14, 2007, 2:18 am - IP Logged

LOCK this thing.shoot it,kill it,fry it, put it out of its misery,lol

Surrender

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: April 14, 2007, 5:07 am - IP Logged

That girl probably will have the same problem as Imus with her career, she'll probably never be hired to work a strip party again.

I laughed when I read your statement, RJOh. 

By the way, Pac, I can't stand Jesse Jackson.  He's a bigot too. 

3 rich White boys from affluent families

A poor Black stripper hired to dancer at a party

I knew this would be dropped the day I read about it. 

Result:  No matter what really happened at Duke, it is a sad time for women.  It hurts every victim of violent crime whose credibility will be put under a glaring spotlight as she struggles just to keep her sanity and her dignity.                     

Rapes on campus have escalated over the years.  Now more women will be afraid to come forward.  We've lost about 20 years of progress.  Any young woman who files a rape complaint will be suspect. Is she lying? In most cases, no. It's like being degraded and humiliated all over again.  Even a stripper has the same human rights as anyone else.  So do spoiled college brats.  It isn't a Race issue.  It's about treating each person with dignity and respect.  It's about listening, gathering the facts and evidence and getting to the Truth before becoming judge, jury and executioner.  Keep the politicians away!

Regarding the Imus case, I find it ironic that he gets fired over racial/sexual remarks when he spent the earlier part of his career coked out and drunk.  Peeing in a cup wasn't part of the drill when you got hired in the 70s.  Note:  I'm very sure I never wrote he should have been fired, just that he was offensive and hurtful and I didn't feel sorry for him. 

Litebets27's avatar - power
                            Maryland
                            United States
                            Member #10465
                            January 14, 2005
                            6065 Posts
                            Posted: April 14, 2007, 8:03 am - IP Logged

alien

Green laugh

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                              Member #41383
                              June 16, 2006
                              1969 Posts
                              Posted: April 14, 2007, 8:04 am - IP Logged

I laughed when I read your statement, RJOh. 

By the way, Pac, I can't stand Jesse Jackson.  He's a bigot too. 

3 rich White boys from affluent families

A poor Black stripper hired to dancer at a party

I knew this would be dropped the day I read about it. 

Result:  No matter what really happened at Duke, it is a sad time for women.  It hurts every victim of violent crime whose credibility will be put under a glaring spotlight as she struggles just to keep her sanity and her dignity.                     

Rapes on campus have escalated over the years.  Now more women will be afraid to come forward.  We've lost about 20 years of progress.  Any young woman who files a rape complaint will be suspect. Is she lying? In most cases, no. It's like being degraded and humiliated all over again.  Even a stripper has the same human rights as anyone else.  So do spoiled college brats.  It isn't a Race issue.  It's about treating each person with dignity and respect.  It's about listening, gathering the facts and evidence and getting to the Truth before becoming judge, jury and executioner.  Keep the politicians away!

Regarding the Imus case, I find it ironic that he gets fired over racial/sexual remarks when he spent the earlier part of his career coked out and drunk.  Peeing in a cup wasn't part of the drill when you got hired in the 70s.  Note:  I'm very sure I never wrote he should have been fired, just that he was offensive and hurtful and I didn't feel sorry for him. 

Sooooooo......  You are on the bandwagon that has tried and convicted the Duke boys I take it ?

What about their lives ?

Gee, what if they are innocent ?

What about the prosecutor that pushed the issue (more than he should have) ? 

As you said, in most cases the girl isn't lying, but there is a BIG difference between most and all, and we have no better way to do it than innocent until proven guilty.  They had no evidence. None. Nadda.  You wanna tell me 3 guys at a party raped a girl and NOBODY would come forward ?  Not a single person ? Nobody with a camera phone ?  No witnesses to say she went running from the party ?  Nobody saw anything ?  She was the only girl there ?   That's pretty doubtful at a party of 300+ people.

The Duke boys were alleged in a crime, Don Imus was not, yet both are 'guilty' until proven innocent (?). 

But now we know what you think of them with your inference to them as 'spoiled college brats'.  I bet you know each of them well.... (not)