Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 4:23 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

a rumor...don imus to join a state lottery for work

Topic closed. 81 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Rick G.

Page 5 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

would you object in any way don imus working a job with your state lottery?

i feel he should be able to [ 20 ]  [47.62%]
i'm against him being able to [ 13 ]  [30.95%]
not sure [ 9 ]  [21.43%]
Total Valid Votes [ 42 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: April 14, 2007, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

Imus should have been thrown off-the-air a long time ago. His direspect of other people has a far reaching impact on all of us. This one disrespectful voice is heard by thousands of listeners, who over time begin to mimic Imus, so just when you thought you shut him up by changing the Channel, you run across one of his listeners who repeats the words that Imus said on his show. This might not be so bad except their are other people in earshot of this Imus listener, who overhear the discourse, some of whom will repeat the words they overheard, when the Imus listener spoke, and so on and so forth. So begins the progression where people who don't even know who Imus is, will hears his words of disrespect that he has spoken.

I agree!  I do believe in free speech and I have a great sense of humor.  I also hate trying to be politically correct all the time.  Yes, Raven, words of hate travel very far.  People often have no idea where they heard something evil.

When I was a child, the 5 of us lived in a 3 room apartment in a project in Boston for veterans. I was so excited when we finally moved to our first home in the burbs.  I was 6 and met my new best friend who lived around the corner and we went to elementary school together, but her family couldn't (or wouldn't) pay for bus tickets.  Her Dad was very strict and thought children should walk the miles he did as a kid. Sometimes she was cold and my mother would lend her one of my sweaters. My folks were very far from wealthy, but I always had 2 bus tickets a day.  I would give my friend one and we'd walk home or we'd walk to school and ride back together.  When my mother found out, she said I had to take the bus. When I saw her at school the next day, my friend said "You're all a bunch of Dirty Kikes." (I wonder if she was listening to a radio talk show host make a "joke" about Jewish people?)  This has a happy ending, however.  A couple of days later she knocked on my door and begged for forgiveness. She told my Mom she didn't know it was such a bad word, and we remained best buddies until she moved to Calif a few years later.

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: April 14, 2007, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

Like I said, you sensitive types should stay away from Comedy Clubs, avoid watching stand-up comedy on Comedy Central and the day time talk shows.  Because you're going to hear "bitches" and "hoes" said more than your tender ears can handle.  There might even be a reference to nappy hair during the day.

Who's in charge of your rules on "Politically Correct"?

I never even heard of this clown before this week so I'm hardly going to defend him.

Get a life people.  There's a whole lot more important things in life than what a shock jock says.

End of discussion from me. 

I totally agree with you Rick. People need to understand that if you fire someone, then everyone who does the same or knowingly contributes indirectly should also be fired. You can't just conveniently pick and choose who will be able to say what, when and where. The PC people are now running the show, not the constitution. What a joke...here we go...more police state for you. Big brother is gonna say what is right and wrong, and who should be able to say it without recourse.

We should start with all the execs who pay the rappers big bucks, because the execs themselves are making money on it. 5 thru 10 year old kids, both white and black here those rappers. I see them all the time, acting out the bit and the words.

Then we'll fire eddie murphy and his director, producer, and every one on the staff. All the top people at Comedy Central are next in line to get fired.

The MAD TV show should be cancelled. Talk about poking fun at the koreans, blacks, and just about everyone in between.

Unfortunately we'll have to fire my favorite comedian of all time...George Carlin. Between the F word and the B word, there aren't too many nice words. A lot of religious people would definitely be offended with george. And another favorite...Jackie Mason....Sorry Jackie...gotta go....gotta go...Archie Bunker wouldn't even make it to the drawing board...LOL

I don't remember anyone getting offended when that rap song came out a few years ago saying.." I love my n.....s but where's my b.....s

It's not just rap, comedians and shows. It's just about everything from now on. Movie makers will now have to walk on eggshells. News anchors and reporters must be carefull, and double checking everything.

I'm in now way defending what Imus said. All I'm saying is that equal punishment should be administered equally around the board. If you're going to set a precedence, do it right.

Oh...I almost forgot....Both Sharpton and Jackson should ALSO have no air time to spew their garbage.

Hypocricy abounds!

Jimiam's avatar - ICONATOR 4af8c649273bc68ca3f95ed9dd755e65.jpg

United States
      Member #39406
      May 15, 2006
      287 Posts
      Posted: April 14, 2007, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

Speaking of Imus. that whole situation infuriates me. These racist clown sharpton and jackson cause a whole lot of trouble. First they stir the pot with the Duke Lacrosse. Next is the slip of the tongue of Imus. Shame on you CBS. They cause a divsion between the races. They are just lurking around waiting to be offended and here they come.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
        Member #14
        November 9, 2001
        31344 Posts
        Posted: April 14, 2007, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

There's a movie coming out with beautiful Halle Berry - title - "Nappily Ever After"    - guess that ok?

love to nibble those micey feet.

Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: April 14, 2007, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

There's a movie coming out with beautiful Halle Berry - title - "Nappily Ever After"    - guess that ok?

Okay, I promise this will be my last remark, but it seems to me that even the people I've grown to love and respect here don't get it.

There was also a movie called "Whore" with Theresa Russell and "Blow" with Johnny Depp.  What has a movie title have to do with defamation? If I were the mother of one of those girls, I'd want to sue CBS for defamation of character.  Forget race for a minute.  What if these women were fat?  Is it okay to publicly humiliate fat people?  What if a woman is really ugly?  Should a man be able to say that in front of the world?  I guess that's called Freedom of Speech, isn't it?  But we have the Freedom to say "no more!"

Whether or not Don Imus should or shouldn't have been fired isn't my concern.  Racism and hatred won't stop.  It's all over the news, the internet, the radio and we as a society have somehow accepted calling people names as standard behavior.  I can't stand Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson and I don't want to hear their political rants. However, this whole situation can be completely separated from race or politics.  It's about people feeling they can vomit just about anything on someone else and get away with it without consequence.  We should be better people than that.  It's toxic and it's nothing new.  First Mel Gibson is in the news and now Don Imus.  After all the Jerry Springer shows and hearing Judge Judy call people idiots and watching Reality Shows where the goal is to screw your opponent no matter what it takes, we just shrug our shoulders when we hear garbage being tossed at people who might be your own children.

From Matthew:

"The mouth speaks what the heart is full of.  A good man will speak good things because of the good in him. A bad man will speak bad things because of the sin in him. I say to you, on the day men stand before God, they will have to give an answer for every word they have spoken that was not important.  For it is by your words that you will not be guilty and it is by your words that you will be guilty."

So those of you who call yourselves religious, please ask yourself.."Who would Jesus insult today?"   

United States
            Member #17555
            June 22, 2005
            5582 Posts
            Posted: April 14, 2007, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

So those of you who call yourselves religious, please ask yourself.."Who would Jesus insult today?"   

Wait a minute...

If I knew I was the son of GOD and not a mere mortal, I would definitely not insult anyone.

By the way..I'm not religious, but thought I'd bring up that point. It's like Adam and Eve. Some people say that we are all living their roles in modern garden of eden in life, and have to make the right choices. I disagree!

Adam and Eve knew for a fact that GOD was amongst them. They knew for a fact that they spoke with him one on one. To say that everyone is in the same boat is bogus because I haven't seen GOD personally, face to face.

Doesen't jive...

Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: April 14, 2007, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

Not fair, Pac. LOL   I promised I wouldn't post any more. So I won't on the topic.  However, if you think you haven't seen God face to face lately, go outside right now.  It's a beautiful night and the stars are bright.  Look at a tree, watch children laughing and playing, and then tell me that you've never seen God.

Jimiam's avatar - ICONATOR 4af8c649273bc68ca3f95ed9dd755e65.jpg

United States
                Member #39406
                May 15, 2006
                287 Posts
                Posted: April 14, 2007, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

Almost everybody know what shockjock radio is. If a person is offended they should just turn the channel.

United States
                  Member #17555
                  June 22, 2005
                  5582 Posts
                  Posted: April 14, 2007, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

Not fair, Pac. LOL   I promised I wouldn't post any more. So I won't on the topic.  However, if you think you haven't seen God face to face lately, go outside right now.  It's a beautiful night and the stars are bright.  Look at a tree, watch children laughing and playing, and then tell me that you've never seen God.

I will never blame anyone for not seeing what I see on top of everything you talk about, like the trees and the birds chirping, children laughing. I know what you're saying.

In my discoveries in life, in years past , I've seen documentaries where the skull was opened up while the particapant was awake. A specialized person touched certain parts of the brain and the participant saw many illusions including religious ones. The brain is an incredible machine. But that's my opinion. The brain has a strange way of filling in the blanks.

Many people who've gone through the "Dying" experience have testified of the light at the end of the tunnel. Scientists claim that when your brain is deprived of oxygen, the blackness starts out from the exterior rim and works it's way inwards, closing in on the central visual point in the Iris, thus revealing an illusion of light at the end of the tunnel. When individual cells die, a concerted effort of all the brain's cells will result as a tunnel stated above.

There was a case a few years ago where a girl had to have one side of her brain removed. I don't remember if it was the right or the left. After a few months the remaining half of the brain compensated for the lack of a hemisphere. To this day, you wouldn't know the difference in her everday life, except for a few things, but it goes to show how powerful the brain is.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19824 Posts
                    Posted: April 14, 2007, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

Maybe he hasn't seen God but he must have seen Adam and Eve if he knows for fact that God was among them and spoke one on one with them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                      Member #17555
                      June 22, 2005
                      5582 Posts
                      Posted: April 14, 2007, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

Maybe he hasn't seen God but he must have seen Adam and Eve if he knows for fact that God was among them and spoke one on one with them.

That was just an example of what was written in the bible. I'm only trying to show the discrepencies. That's all.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                        Member #14
                        November 9, 2001
                        31344 Posts
                        Posted: April 14, 2007, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

Okay, I promise this will be my last remark, but it seems to me that even the people I've grown to love and respect here don't get it.

There was also a movie called "Whore" with Theresa Russell and "Blow" with Johnny Depp.  What has a movie title have to do with defamation? If I were the mother of one of those girls, I'd want to sue CBS for defamation of character.  Forget race for a minute.  What if these women were fat?  Is it okay to publicly humiliate fat people?  What if a woman is really ugly?  Should a man be able to say that in front of the world?  I guess that's called Freedom of Speech, isn't it?  But we have the Freedom to say "no more!"

Whether or not Don Imus should or shouldn't have been fired isn't my concern.  Racism and hatred won't stop.  It's all over the news, the internet, the radio and we as a society have somehow accepted calling people names as standard behavior.  I can't stand Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson and I don't want to hear their political rants. However, this whole situation can be completely separated from race or politics.  It's about people feeling they can vomit just about anything on someone else and get away with it without consequence.  We should be better people than that.  It's toxic and it's nothing new.  First Mel Gibson is in the news and now Don Imus.  After all the Jerry Springer shows and hearing Judge Judy call people idiots and watching Reality Shows where the goal is to screw your opponent no matter what it takes, we just shrug our shoulders when we hear garbage being tossed at people who might be your own children.

From Matthew:

"The mouth speaks what the heart is full of.  A good man will speak good things because of the good in him. A bad man will speak bad things because of the sin in him. I say to you, on the day men stand before God, they will have to give an answer for every word they have spoken that was not important.  For it is by your words that you will not be guilty and it is by your words that you will be guilty."

Nancy - you missed my point.

love to nibble those micey feet.

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
                          Member #24380
                          October 21, 2005
                          623 Posts
                          Posted: April 14, 2007, 11:44 pm - IP Logged

Good way to get a non-lottery topic on the discussion board.  Wink

Anyway, I agree with RJOh - he's way too rich to accept such a position.  I don't feel sorry for him.  Many of these celebrities continue to work way past the age of retirement because of their egos, the fame and the easy fortune   I doubt if he'll be headed to the homeless shelter anytime soon.  I'm guessing he's been making an 8 figure income (anyone have that info?) more than most of us will make in a lifetime.  Put this in perspective...if you started at 20 and worked 40 years an averaged $250,000 in salary, you'd still have earned less than some of these guys make in one year.  Letterman, Leno, Judge Judy, Howard Stern are in the $25 to $35M a year range.

Imagine being a proud parent, sitting with friends and relatives watching your baby girl (who is an honor student) winning a championship and hearing her called a "nappy-headed hoe" on the air.  Would you think it was funny?  Gosh, I wish they taught being rude, insulting and offensive in college. Simon ridiculing performers with cruel critisicm, Rosie & Donald acting like 5 year olds, contestants on reality shows insulting one another.  If only I knew!!

Anyway, Imus looks really worn out to me, so maybe he needs a long vacation.  I read that his ratings have been dropping, so maybe he wanted to get fired so he can get a job being obnoxious on satellite radio. 

Absolutely.  I agree.  If they fit the description, it would be half way understandable.  They DIDN'T and he took a big gamble on his career.  All others should be subjected to censorship tooI Agree!.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                            Member #41383
                            June 16, 2006
                            1969 Posts
                            Posted: April 15, 2007, 4:05 am - IP Logged

Guesser Writes: 

Sooooooo......  You are on the bandwagon that has tried and convicted the Duke boys I take it ?

What about their lives ?

Gee, what if they are innocent ?

Again, someone on this board who likes to take a few words from a post and use them to serve his own agenda.  Did I say that?  Did I say they were guilty?  I just reread my post and this is what I read:

"No matter what really happened at Duke, it is a sad time for women.  It hurts every victim of violent crime whose credibility will be put under a glaring spotlight as she struggles just to keep her sanity and her dignity."       

Don't you think that someone who yells "Rape!" is hurting other women too?  I said I didn't know what really happened and neither do you.  I also indicated at first that a poor Black stripper vs 3 White students from prominent families isn't an even match in the courtroom.   Anyone who lives in the United States of America knows that to be true.  It's not about Race either.  (O.J. looks Black to me!) She has a long record of emotional problems and past accusations of assault, so even if they did attack her, her credibility would be destroyed.  Whether it's a rape, the murder of a spouse, drowning of your children or any crime where another trial has proved the accuser to be a liar, it casts a dark shadow on future victims.  After Susan Smith cried helplessly on TV "find my babies" and then they discovered it was all an act, I pitied any woman whose children were missing.

In fact, until a few days ago when everyone kept bringing up this story (because of the Imus situation) I never even followed the Duke story.  So I'm not on any bandwagon, Guesser, but judging from numerous threads, you certainly have a very large chip on your shoulder.

My agenda is clear.

You all-but found the Duke boys guilty of rape.

I'm not talking about Imus, OJ or Susan Smith, even though the thread was about Imus.

I just don't care for people that judge people based on the families they come from, especially when there is NO evidence whatsoever AND the DA fabricated things.  Your reference to the 3 guys as rich kids, snobs, or whatever tells me you already judged them as guilty.  And as you said, I don't know what happened and neither do you, but it seems very ODD that there is not a shred of evidence from the victim, and not a single person there saw or heard a thing, the DA 'pushed' things, and the 'victim' herself changed her story many times, it's really hard for me to feel sorry for her. 

No, you didn't 'say' they were guilty, the terms you used to describe them said it for you. 

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                              Member #41383
                              June 16, 2006
                              1969 Posts
                              Posted: April 15, 2007, 4:12 am - IP Logged

Freedom of Speech, Decency laws, all that stuff went out the window about the time MTV started up, and at the same time the ACLU started suing everybody over rights issues.

It seems everybody has a right to say about anything, but we have no rights to NOT hear it.

How many TV shows on the air today would have NEVER made it past the censors 30-40 years ago ? Do we need to see naked butts and hear swearing on prime-time TV ?   I'm not an old fuddy-duddy, but I can't be watching the kids 24/7/365, nobody can, which is why we have the FCC to help us out. The ACLU took care of that.

You have a right to protest, but I have no rights to NOT have to deal with it. 

And it's gonna get worse.