Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 9:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Off topic: Please do NOT pump gas on May 15th!!

Topic closed. 90 replies. Last post 10 years ago by LuckyLilly.

Page 1 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
485 Posts
Posted: May 11, 2007, 10:22 am - IP Logged

Dear fellow lottery post members:

This is rundown99, and I wanted to send this message to all of you.... 

If you are an internet user, remember......

No Gas On May 15th ....

Passing it on, tell your friends....

NO GAS...On May 15th 2007

Don't pump gas on MAY 15th

Now if any of you may remember, In April 1997, there was a "gas out" conducted nationwide in protest of gas  prices.  Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight.

On May 15th 2007, all internet users are to not go to a gas station in
 protest of high gas prices. Gas is now over $3.00 a gallon in most places.

There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the internet network,
 and the average car takes about 30 to 50 dollars to fill up.

If all users did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take
 $2,292,000,000.00 (that's almost 3 BILLION) out of the oil companies
 pockets for just one day, so please do not go to the gas station on May
 15th and lets try to put a dent in the Middle Eastern oil industry for at
 least one day.

If you agree (which I cant see why you wouldn't) resend this to all your
contact list. With it saying, ''Don't pump gas on May 15th!!!"

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10390 Posts
    Posted: May 11, 2007, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

Never happen, never has worked, never will.

Once upon a time. Check Snopes.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

bobby jones's avatar - anime15
      illinois
      United States
      Member #4322
      April 13, 2004
      27 Posts
      Posted: May 11, 2007, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

Never happen, never has worked, never will.

Once upon a time. Check Snopes.

of course it won't work,because of people like you.i have received the same email and

i have sent it out to over 30 people.if the gas stations wasnt over charging us then

the oil companys would not have record setting profits every quarter.i am willing to

try almost anything to get the gas prices down.

United States
        Member #17555
        June 22, 2005
        5582 Posts
        Posted: May 11, 2007, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

The only people that will get affected is the owners of the franchises. I just recently heard that some owners barely break even as it is.

Secondly, just like justxploring said before, people will have to gas up either one day before or one day after. All that surplus of gas not used on the 15th will eventually be used on one of those two days, the one before on the 14th or after on the 16th.

Please explain how that idea I just presented is flawed in any way you can think of.

undress's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
          roseville, MI
          United States
          Member #5980
          July 30, 2004
          18205 Posts
          Posted: May 11, 2007, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

If we just stop by from the major gas supplier it will drop....Mobil/Exxon....

Once they find they are not making as much money they will lower the price and everyone will follow....this one day thing won't effect them as much as you think...we need more long term stuff....Like just stop by your gas at Mobil...

Mad ALL IN!Mad

Coastal Georgia
            United States
            Member #2653
            October 30, 2003
            1866 Posts
            Posted: May 11, 2007, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

It's a good idea in concept, but in reality it is not going to affect gas prices.

Let's all see what the numbers are on the 16th to further illustrate this point.

Dr Lottery's avatar - 10847
              Albany,Georgia
              United States
              Member #45615
              August 24, 2006
              2135 Posts
              Posted: May 11, 2007, 2:00 pm - IP Logged

It's a good idea in concept, but in reality it is not going to affect gas prices.

Let's all see what the numbers are on the 16th to further illustrate this point.

I personaly think it is a good I deal we not only need not buy on the 15th but also the 16th this will tear a whole in a rip off business lets all stick together these foreginer and there markets already got it good in the US the US give them money to start there own business. what we have to do is cut out some of this gas and make a surplus and we will see the price drop our people we have elected in office don't worry about gas because we pay for the gas and there cars which they use on there personal time we need to hit home 1st!!!!!!

One day I will Hit BIG!!

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #50273
                March 3, 2007
                348 Posts
                Posted: May 11, 2007, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

How about this, lets have a national symposium on alternative fuels.  Better yet, lets have a contest where there is a cash prize offered to the person(s) that come up with the next viable energy source to fuel cars.  Make one of the main rules that Oil industry workers and lobbyists are banned from adding ANY contact with contestants or adding input in general.

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

United States
                  Member #17555
                  June 22, 2005
                  5582 Posts
                  Posted: May 11, 2007, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

Who here is old enough to remember that story in the mid 70's about a guy who invented a carburetor and installed it in a station wagon, which got about 80 miles to the gallon?

The guy disappeared, and so did the wagon. Either he was bought off by the oil companies, or enjoyed the view at the bottom of some ocean.

Way before that incident, A guy approached Henry Ford, with a similar gadget. Ford told him to take a walk. This comes from an elderly gentlemen I picked up from Naples Florida, and took him to the airport. He continued to tell me that Ford was in cahoots with the oil companies, and that he couldn't turn his back on them. It just goes on and on.

The point of all this is that no one will be able to come up with a device or alternate fuel that can change the efficiency drastically, and live to tell someone about it. The higher ups want to make sure that the change over to something like that happens gradually, so the economy won't get affected, and their pockets too. It's so sad that greed has replaced progress in this world.

It's not just oil or carburetors, but just about everything else. Take the pharmaceutical companies. We now have a pill for just about every ailment that exists. With all the side effects, I'd rather have the ailment...lol Instead of focusing on preventative measures, they want to drug up everyone. Just think if someone came out with cures to many of the health problems, and cancers, the drug companies would go out of business. They don't want people to get better, they just want to take the pain away.

I could go on and on, but you get the drift.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                    Chief Bottle Washer
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #1
                    May 31, 2000
                    23348 Posts
                    Posted: May 11, 2007, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

Who here is old enough to remember that story in the mid 70's about a guy who invented a carburetor and installed it in a station wagon, which got about 80 miles to the gallon?

The guy disappeared, and so did the wagon. Either he was bought off by the oil companies, or enjoyed the view at the bottom of some ocean.

Way before that incident, A guy approached Henry Ford, with a similar gadget. Ford told him to take a walk. This comes from an elderly gentlemen I picked up from Naples Florida, and took him to the airport. He continued to tell me that Ford was in cahoots with the oil companies, and that he couldn't turn his back on them. It just goes on and on.

The point of all this is that no one will be able to come up with a device or alternate fuel that can change the efficiency drastically, and live to tell someone about it. The higher ups want to make sure that the change over to something like that happens gradually, so the economy won't get affected, and their pockets too. It's so sad that greed has replaced progress in this world.

It's not just oil or carburetors, but just about everything else. Take the pharmaceutical companies. We now have a pill for just about every ailment that exists. With all the side effects, I'd rather have the ailment...lol Instead of focusing on preventative measures, they want to drug up everyone. Just think if someone came out with cures to many of the health problems, and cancers, the drug companies would go out of business. They don't want people to get better, they just want to take the pain away.

I agree with you on all counts.  The oil companies are literally the biggest, richest companies in the world.  Think of the power they wield.  They can do anything they want, because they have the resources to do it.

I absolutely believe they have purposely held back on technologies that would provide cheap energy.  Not just cars -- homes and businesses too.

I think they're stumped on how to make a lot of money off of renewable energy sources.

Therefore, I don't think they will ever drive the next big inventions.  It's going to have to come from battery technology, IMHO.  Once researchers discover how to store and deliver much more energy from small batteries, that will force the oil companies to do something to compete -- and that something has got to be alternative energy supplies.

But who really can tell?

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

JAP69's avatar - alas
                      South Carolina
                      United States
                      Member #6
                      November 4, 2001
                      8795 Posts
                      Posted: May 11, 2007, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

That fella with the station wagon and carburator was run out of buisness for what the carburator could do. The carburator had an efficent misting sytem for the gas. Most of the gas that goes in the combustion chamber is not misted properly for fuel efficency.
                      I had met the man that invented that carburator.

The Tucker automobile was well designed and advanced years beyond what the auto makers were offering at the time.Tucker was shot out of buisness from the zit-go There was a movie about Tucker played by one of the Bridges boys.

United States
                        Member #22980
                        October 5, 2005
                        23 Posts
                        Posted: May 11, 2007, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

Talk to any gas station owner and they will tell you that they barely make any profit percentage-wise off the gas they buy and resell to the consumer.  Boycotting gas stations only hurts the individual gas station owner.  The Oil companies won't drop the prices to the station owners because of one day or even a week of boycotts, because they know eventually you have to get gas, and such a short time period just means you'll be buying more gas the day after.

Carpool.  Combine trips. Take public transportation.  Every day of your life.  Try to convince others to do the same.  If everyone did this, we'd at least see a minor drop in prices.  The only real solution is renewable energy sources.  Oil is finite, and population is growing exponentially, gas prices will rise until we run out of gas.  Your grandkids or great grand kids wil laugh at you when you tell them you once used oil to run your cars.  It'll seem like running  your car on old dinosaur bones.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: May 11, 2007, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

It's true, Pac.  All the way back to the days of Henry Ford, they knew fuel could be made with corn and other products besides oil. 

Regarding pills, about 90% of every person who talks to a psychiatrist is prescribed some kind of anti-depressant.  I went to one and told him I sometimes feel as if I'm a er spaniel.  But I think I was barking up the wrong tree.  However, when I asked to use the bathroom, he put his newspaper on the floor and said "good girl."

As far as the topic goes, this was already in someone's blog.  It won't make a difference if people boycott the gas stations.  We all need fuel to get around.  Some people live in cities where there is public transportation, but many of us don't have that option except to stay home.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10390 Posts
                            Posted: May 11, 2007, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

Its' been proven gas boycotts do not work.

Just go to Snopes.com, "Don't Buy Gas" is the number 1 urban legend of the Top 25 right now.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

numbergirly's avatar - 0002009C
                              Dover, Delaware
                              United States
                              Member #26979
                              November 25, 2005
                              178 Posts
                              Posted: May 11, 2007, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!Right on RD99 I'm with you. I got this message about 2 weeks ago and I didn't know if I could post this type of information but, I am so glad you did and thanks. Maybe it won't make a difference and maybe it will....all I know is this is a sure way for our voices to be heard. We as the so called "American People" has to do something because, things are getting out of control and fast.

numbergirly

PS. to those that disagree with my statement PLEASE don't get outta shape it's only my opinion!!!!!!

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS   Ice Water