Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Off topic: Please do NOT pump gas on May 15th!!

Topic closed. 90 replies. Last post 10 years ago by LuckyLilly.

Page 2 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
Clarksville
United States
Member #487
July 15, 2002
17638 Posts
Posted: May 11, 2007, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

I do remember the oil crisis of the 60's though where gas was rationed and your day to fill up was determined by the last digit of your license plate.  Americans need to wise up and really start putting the muscle and energy into finding alternative fuels.  Also, instead of buying bigger cars, Many should try smaller v-6s, v-4's and any v that is less that that of an 8.  I have always driven a 6 cylinder but this time I got a 4.  I cringe at the lack of power but the gas milage is G-R-E-A-T!!  I put in 10 gallons every two weeks, drive 9 miles to and from work (10 days), go shopping, go riding, hit the antique places and have enough gas left to let my husband drive some.  When they come out with a V-2, I'll be right there.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: May 11, 2007, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

I do remember the oil crisis of the 60's though where gas was rationed and your day to fill up was determined by the last digit of your license plate.  Americans need to wise up and really start putting the muscle and energy into finding alternative fuels.  Also, instead of buying bigger cars, Many should try smaller v-6s, v-4's and any v that is less that that of an 8.  I have always driven a 6 cylinder but this time I got a 4.  I cringe at the lack of power but the gas milage is G-R-E-A-T!!  I put in 10 gallons every two weeks, drive 9 miles to and from work (10 days), go shopping, go riding, hit the antique places and have enough gas left to let my husband drive some.  When they come out with a V-2, I'll be right there.

V-2? I just hope you're not in front of me when the light turns green....LOL

I saw a show on Hydrogen energy. Not the kind you see out there running on hydrogen.

This sucker splits the Hydrogen atom, just like how the sun is powered. This show was very interesting. The combustion chamber was the size of a million dollar house. Before the explosion, all workers had to hide before a special shield as to not expose them to some kind of damaging force.

Now get this, after just one explosion, the crew had to go into the chamber and wipe the residue clean, and I mean spotless. The whole process takes about a week before they redo the whole thing all over again. That's just one combustion explosion....LOL

They said they are very far from having an engine that can continually run just like a car engine. 

The good news is, that when they finally do figure out how to split the atom on a continual basis without have to clean it every week, (I guess it's called fission), your car will be able to travel something like 500 miles on a gallon of water.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
      Member #4877
      May 30, 2004
      5118 Posts
      Posted: May 11, 2007, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

Dear fellow lottery post members:

This is rundown99, and I wanted to send this message to all of you.... 

If you are an internet user, remember......

No Gas On May 15th ....

Passing it on, tell your friends....

NO GAS...On May 15th 2007

Don't pump gas on MAY 15th

Now if any of you may remember, In April 1997, there was a "gas out" conducted nationwide in protest of gas  prices.  Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight.

On May 15th 2007, all internet users are to not go to a gas station in
       protest of high gas prices. Gas is now over $3.00 a gallon in most places.

There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the internet network,
       and the average car takes about 30 to 50 dollars to fill up.

If all users did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take
       $2,292,000,000.00 (that's almost 3 BILLION) out of the oil companies
       pockets for just one day, so please do not go to the gas station on May
       15th and lets try to put a dent in the Middle Eastern oil industry for at
       least one day.

If you agree (which I cant see why you wouldn't) resend this to all your
      contact list. With it saying, ''Don't pump gas on May 15th!!!"

Yes, I agrree, liddle off tropic.....................................................xxyz

Did I scy that I agee>>>>>>...................................................yeat?

This subject isss raelly mkifg me depresseasted>>>>>>>>>>>>>!

But, & YES....................their is alwayssssssssssssssa Butttttttttttt!

All of "U" are 100%%%%%%% CORRECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Need to take some more riddalin.......................now........................

cot started on the stuff back in the 1ST grade when the teacher did

send me to a srink...................................he was a JACKASS too!!!! 

told my mome I could mot spell & I rote crazy, & backwards too!!!!

PSYKOMO 

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
        Member #14
        November 9, 2001
        31344 Posts
        Posted: May 11, 2007, 11:23 pm - IP Logged

i'll do it.   

love to nibble those micey feet.

Tarzan's avatar - behold
          free2_be virgo
          South Carolina
          United States
          Member #3458
          January 22, 2004
          1165 Posts
          Posted: May 11, 2007, 11:40 pm - IP Logged

i'll do it.   

I'll do it too,EM,and by the way,thanks for thinking I'm not crazy!

" No matter what you make,all that you can take is what you give away"

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            8360 Posts
            Posted: May 12, 2007, 12:03 am - IP Logged

the oil company's don't care if you buy gas today tonight or tomorrow. they know when you run out of gas in your vehicle you are going to have to put fuel in you vehicle or park it.

If you don't buy fuel then there is more fuel to go around to the others that need it.

The oil companies have a monopoly on oil.

There are ways to get oil companies to sell cheaper fuel but it would take a world wide effort. it would mean a mass of people in the billions would have to stop buying fuel for a given period of time. (not likely to happen) But if it happened the oil companies would almost have to stop pumping the black gold out of the ground. As they would run out of storage space. refineries depend on people buying fuel so they can refill their storage tanks.  In fact the whole idea could backfire because after the set period of time billions would fill up and strain the oil reserves.

Since they had to halt production when people stopped buying they would have to bring pumping stations and refineries back on line. It would be a nightmare. Millions would be stranded.

If you want to combat them you need to get your senators and congress to approach the feds and demand that they either build new refineries or develop cheap alternate fuel vehicles.

Our government is to blame for this they new it would happen and did nothing to prevent it. Because there is a federal mandate to switch to newer fuel sources they stopped building gas refineries.  

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
              Member #4877
              May 30, 2004
              5118 Posts
              Posted: May 12, 2007, 12:23 am - IP Logged

I'll do it too,EM,and by the way,thanks for thinking I'm not crazy!

EM is not crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "either">>>

"SHE"...............just...........THINK$$$$$

in FEET "not" INCHES!  PukePukePartyPartyParty

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                Member #14
                November 9, 2001
                31344 Posts
                Posted: May 12, 2007, 12:28 am - IP Logged

EM is not crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "either">>>

"SHE"...............just...........THINK$$$$$

in FEET "not" INCHES!  PukePukePartyPartyParty

cute -  Munchy

love to nibble those micey feet.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: May 12, 2007, 5:17 am - IP Logged

Just read my previous comment - I forgot I can't use the word c**o**c**k in anything.  So when I was talking about being a c**o*cker spaniel it didn't post right. So maybe it didn't make sense, or just wasn't funny at all.  Anyway, I think sending a message is still a good idea, but the oil companies got the message many years ago when people were freezing to death in their homes because of the high cost of home heating fuel.  They already know the effect they have on us and 1 day won't make a big difference.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                    Harbinger
                    D.C./MD.
                    United States
                    Member #44103
                    July 30, 2006
                    5583 Posts
                    Posted: May 12, 2007, 9:32 am - IP Logged

four4me writes "The oil companies have a monopoly on oil. " That is like saying the beer companies have a monopoly on tasty refreshing beverages.  Well kinda, not really, the only real monopoly anymore is the game "Monopoly" in America, believe it or not the US govt. doesn't permit monopolies.  You may want to take a look at what is happenning in Venezuela or China for eg., the govts. there in a stricter definition of a monopoly are controlling entire industries such as oil and other commodities.  Communists, fascists, etc. act like monopolies because they DO control entire sectors from a centralized ruling body.  It is their way, or the highway, death, vanishment, torture etc..

"Its funny he doesn't look a bit like Hugo Chavez"

United States
                      Member #17555
                      June 22, 2005
                      5582 Posts
                      Posted: May 12, 2007, 10:08 am - IP Logged

four4me writes "The oil companies have a monopoly on oil. " That is like saying the beer companies have a monopoly on tasty refreshing beverages.  Well kinda, not really, the only real monopoly anymore is the game "Monopoly" in America, believe it or not the US govt. doesn't permit monopolies.  You may want to take a look at what is happenning in Venezuela or China for eg., the govts. there in a stricter definition of a monopoly are controlling entire industries such as oil and other commodities.  Communists, fascists, etc. act like monopolies because they DO control entire sectors from a centralized ruling body.  It is their way, or the highway, death, vanishment, torture etc..

"Its funny he doesn't look a bit like Hugo Chavez"

I beg to differ. Whenever a person doesen't have a choice in picking a different source to get their goods or services, it's called a monopoly. Whether this country allows monopolies or not, the oil companies are somehow getting away with it.

When I go to the store shopping for beer, there are dozens to choose from.....LOL.

Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: May 12, 2007, 10:35 am - IP Logged

I beg to differ. Whenever a person doesen't have a choice in picking a different source to get their goods or services, it's called a monopoly. Whether this country allows monopolies or not, the oil companies are somehow getting away with it.

When I go to the store shopping for beer, there are dozens to choose from.....LOL.

I agree, although it's still not called a monopoly.  If you want DSL in this area, you have to choose one company.  Same with the cable tv and broadband.  They pretty much dictate what you can and cannot do and the prices just increase without any explanation. 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10348 Posts
                          Posted: May 12, 2007, 10:37 am - IP Logged

MEMO

To: All corporation stations and franchisees

Subject: Due to rumors of a possible gas boycott on May 15, reduce prices by $.10 a gallon on the 15th, but raise them by $.26 a gallon from the 16th to the 21st make up for the slack in sales.  

DUH! 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: May 12, 2007, 10:59 am - IP Logged

MEMO

To: All corporation stations and franchisees

Subject: Due to rumors of a possible gas boycott on May 15, reduce prices by $.10 a gallon on the 15th, but raise them by $.26 a gallon from the 16th to the 21st make up for the slack in sales.  

DUH! 

That's a great idea, Coin Toss.  They could even make it better by lowering the price by much more.  Let's say they lowered it by 20 cents a gallon or even gave a free gallon of gasoline to everyone who filled up that day.  I'm sure there would be lots of people who didn't care about the boycott and the pumps would be emptied. 

All you have to do is drive by any McDonald's or Burger King on a day they advertise "free fries" and you can't get into the place.  Even a free car wash with every purchase used to be a big deal.  (What are they now..$6 for a basic wash?) I guess since the price rose so much, the gas station owners couldn't afford to offer that incentive any more.  There used to be 2 Shell stations in Fort Myers that gave free car washes with every fill, as long as it was $10.  (maybe it was $5..can't remember) That was in 1994-95.  I lived on Sanibel Island at the time so my white car was filthy (dirt roads, lots of rain)  Once I really needed to get the mud off and couldn't squeeze enough gasoline into my tank and the attendant just gave me the free wash because I was a regular customer.

Notice how so many supermarkets have the 2-fers which often come from the manufacturers and even the big car manufacturers have end of year clearance specials and low financing sometimes? (not as much these days)  When have you ever see a "buy one / get one" or even a free anything at a gas station in the past 10 years?

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
                              Member #15309
                              May 13, 2005
                              307 Posts
                              Posted: May 12, 2007, 11:32 am - IP Logged

I'LL DO IT!  I WANNA BE HEARD.  LET US BEGIN THE BEGIN! 

To my fellow-Californians,

You know we got the most expensive gas prices.  No local politician is talking about it.  So we, THE PEOPLE, got to start talking about it. 

Mad                 Rant                 Cussing Face   

Sun Smiley