Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 4:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Off topic: Please do NOT pump gas on May 15th!!

Topic closed. 90 replies. Last post 10 years ago by LuckyLilly.

Page 6 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
JAP69's avatar - alas
South Carolina
United States
Member #6
November 4, 2001
8790 Posts
Posted: May 15, 2007, 7:11 pm - IP Logged

Today is may 15th and I stopped and got gas.

All pumps had cars gasing up.

You want to save gas.

Have your employer go on a 4 and 10 work week. Save a whole days gas every week  for 52 weeks.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
    Wisconsin
    United States
    Member #1303
    March 27, 2003
    1508 Posts
    Posted: May 15, 2007, 10:04 pm - IP Logged

I do remember the oil crisis of the 60's though where gas was rationed and your day to fill up was determined by the last digit of your license plate.  Americans need to wise up and really start putting the muscle and energy into finding alternative fuels.  Also, instead of buying bigger cars, Many should try smaller v-6s, v-4's and any v that is less that that of an 8.  I have always driven a 6 cylinder but this time I got a 4.  I cringe at the lack of power but the gas milage is G-R-E-A-T!!  I put in 10 gallons every two weeks, drive 9 miles to and from work (10 days), go shopping, go riding, hit the antique places and have enough gas left to let my husband drive some.  When they come out with a V-2, I'll be right there.

You got it littleoldlady. My V4 is an old car, and still gets me 28MPG in the city and 35 MPG on the highway. That is the way to go for now until alternatives can be viable. Nobody really needs a V8 or even a V6 ; they just want them. That's part of the problem...all those SUVs guzzle gas like crazy. Now its coming home to roost. Their owners are having to pay $75.00 to fill the tank. NO WAY ! That's going to translate into having to cut-back on other spending or head for bankrupcy eventually.  I'm seeing SUVs with "For Sale" signs on them all over the place now, but few people with any smarts want to buy them because they know how much gas they use.

I didn't buy gas today, but not because of any boycott.  I filled up on Sunday. Won't need to fill up again until next Sunday, and THAT is too soon as far as I'm concerned.

Gas prices tomorrow will probably be higher again, not lower. Americans can't get around the need to have cars. Unlike Europe, America was never designed for alternative transportation like trains etc. Public transportation is a joke here on the one hand, and impractical on the other.  I couldn't take pub tran if I wanted, because there is none nearby.  And I wouldn't use it anyway, since it would take me 6 hours round trip to and from work. Forget it.  I already spend enough time in work-related things.

China (with half the population on the planet, rememeber) is now officially a consumer. The supply of crude oil is eventually limited. That means old fashioned supply and demand comes into play. The boycott won't do anything, because Americans have little choice. We need gasoline to live our lives. We just will have to decide what other things we WON'T spend money on....because that is what's coming.  And it won't be good for the economy.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
      Member #5344
      June 30, 2004
      23641 Posts
      Posted: May 15, 2007, 10:22 pm - IP Logged

615 days to go.

then it's..

Party Time...

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10344 Posts
        Posted: May 16, 2007, 2:36 am - IP Logged

then it's..

Party Time...

Yeah, sure, party time -  for our enemies and those who want to destroy us if the wrong people get elected. 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Coastal Georgia
          United States
          Member #2653
          October 30, 2003
          1866 Posts
          Posted: May 16, 2007, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, sure, party time -  for our enemies and those who want to destroy us if the wrong people get elected. 

I Agree!  CT, you are so right !!!

It's as if some think that a magic wand will be waved over the country with the inauguration of a new president:  inflation will be wiped out, the oil supply and demand issue will be resolved, terrorists will decide they love us, etc... etc..  All this will occur when they spread the magic pixie dust  on  us..... how wonderful it will be....White Bounce          Puke

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
            Member #41383
            June 16, 2006
            1969 Posts
            Posted: May 16, 2007, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

Well, it didn't work too good: I see BP/Shell is still in business..

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10344 Posts
              Posted: May 16, 2007, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

Well, judging by this area, anyway, the so called gas out did not budge prices a penny.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                Member #17555
                June 22, 2005
                5582 Posts
                Posted: May 16, 2007, 6:48 pm - IP Logged

WOW!  The price of gas has dropped by 97 cents.......WOW!

It worked!

Also...I just bought a prime steak for only 1.98 a pound. WOW!

I also heard a couple of guys jumped out of a wall street building....SAD...

NASHVILLE, TENN
                  United States
                  Member #33372
                  February 20, 2006
                  1044 Posts
                  Posted: May 16, 2007, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

I, for one, did not buy gas on the 15th.    I still got gas, however, by eating the chilli at Waffle House.

NASHVILLE, TENN
                    United States
                    Member #33372
                    February 20, 2006
                    1044 Posts
                    Posted: May 16, 2007, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

I, for one, did not buy gas on the 15th.    I still got gas, however, by eating the chilli at Waffle House.

United States
                      Member #17555
                      June 22, 2005
                      5582 Posts
                      Posted: May 16, 2007, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

Waffle house...A greasy spoon...

They have to be the nastiest eating arrangement I've seen in my life time....Gross....

I once ordered a salad. They gave me a burger with Gorginzola cheese on it ....Nasty...

It's like Linden berg CheeSE!!!

United States
                        Member #10720
                        January 23, 2005
                        933 Posts
                        Posted: May 16, 2007, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

I honored the boycott. I would have had to get gas on May 15th but what I did is got it the night before, this way I wouldn't need any on the 15th. I'm watching the prices now eagerly anticipating a sudden drop as Big Oil realizes that they can't get away with gouging us any longer!

What would make a much greater and noticeable impact would be, on an upcoming major holiday like 4th of July or Memorial Day, everyone not only don't buy gas but don't use the car! Holidays are always an excuse to raise prices.

Another reasonable approach: look for the lowest price, don't go to Shell or bp if they are charging too much. If nobody buys those brands they will have to lower the price.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                          Harbinger
                          D.C./MD.
                          United States
                          Member #44103
                          July 30, 2006
                          5583 Posts
                          Posted: May 16, 2007, 10:30 pm - IP Logged

We shoulda given this stuff up also.

Refinery Output  Refinery output  and Final Products

Refinery Yield Per Barrel of Oil

Final Products Made From Crude Oil
                          Gasoline45.8 PercentInkCosmetics
                          Jet Fuel10.7Heart ValvesSneakers
                          Liquefied Gases3.6CrayonsBubble Gum
                          Kerosene0.3ParachutesCar Bodies
                          Distillate20.9TelephonesTires
                          Residual Fuel Oil6.8BrassieresHouse Paint
                          Feedstocks2.9TapeAmmonia
                          Special Napthas0.4AntisepticsEyeglasses
                          Lubricants1.2PursesLife Jackets
                          Waxes0.1DeodorantFertilizers
                          Coke3.9Panty HoseMovie Film
                          Asphalt3.2ShoesLoudspeakers
                          Still Gas4.8VolleyballsBasketballs
                          Miscellaneous0.5TapeCombs
                          Shortage (gain*)-4.9Floor WaxGasoline
                          *The final total product of a refined barrel of crude oil may exceed 1 barrel, since some of the lighter liquids are in a near gaseous state and accordingly take up more volume.This list is only a sampling of the products made from crude oil. It is not intended to be all-inclusive. Rather it is meant to show in just how many areas products made from crude oil are found and used.
                            TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                            A long and winding road
                            United States
                            Member #17084
                            June 10, 2005
                            4523 Posts
                            Posted: May 16, 2007, 10:48 pm - IP Logged

There you go again-chattering, barking up the wrong tree.  As though you MUST fill up your tank on the designated day of May 15.  As though, you can not fill up the day before, the day after, or even any other day but May 15.  There will be excuses and excuses and excuses, if that is what you're looking  for.

"Preposterious(sp.) idea", you say.  I say, there's nothing preposterous about not filling up your gas tank on a designated day.  It is called making a POLITICAL STATEMENT.  A loud and forceful statement to a group of people that can make a difference - and that is, CONGRESS.  Imagine if millions of people all over this great nation will in unison boycott gas stations just for one day to the point that Media will take notice and Congress will take notice.  And just perhaps, Congress will act more agressively in favor of the people and not the lobbyists. 

No sir, it is not our intention to cause the oil industry to lose profit.  After all, we rely on this industry for so many reasons.  After all, millions of us are shareholders of these oil companies.  But it is our intention to be HEARD - gas prices are just too high for the average American.  And don't go about comparing gas prices in other countries either.  We are the United States of America.

BTW, your first paragraph is about my state, California not having the most expensive gas prices.  It is your emphasis.  It is not the issue here, but FYI, it is a fact that indeed California has the most expensive.  When I posted my earlier post, average gas price here in CA was $3.482 and Hawaii was $3.122.

Now, enough of my ranting.  Let us spread the word.  Drum    Guitar  No Pity!

Tsk tak- now really csfb, move a little AWAY from the muffler fumes Before inhaling real oxygen.

Step back and really see the big picture, the gas station DOESNT control OIL prices.

Your other *rants* deserve a respectable moment of silence followed by uproarious laughter. Thanks for the smiles!

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                              Harbinger
                              D.C./MD.
                              United States
                              Member #44103
                              July 30, 2006
                              5583 Posts
                              Posted: May 16, 2007, 10:58 pm - IP Logged

We shoulda given this stuff up also.

Refinery Output  Refinery output  and Final Products

Refinery Yield Per Barrel of Oil

Final Products Made From Crude Oil
                              Gasoline45.8 PercentInkCosmetics
                              Jet Fuel10.7Heart ValvesSneakers
                              Liquefied Gases3.6CrayonsBubble Gum
                              Kerosene0.3ParachutesCar Bodies
                              Distillate20.9TelephonesTires
                              Residual Fuel Oil6.8BrassieresHouse Paint
                              Feedstocks2.9TapeAmmonia
                              Special Napthas0.4AntisepticsEyeglasses
                              Lubricants1.2PursesLife Jackets
                              Waxes0.1DeodorantFertilizers
                              Coke3.9Panty HoseMovie Film
                              Asphalt3.2ShoesLoudspeakers
                              Still Gas4.8VolleyballsBasketballs
                              Miscellaneous0.5TapeCombs
                              Shortage (gain*)-4.9Floor WaxGasoline
                              *The final total product of a refined barrel of crude oil may exceed 1 barrel, since some of the lighter liquids are in a near gaseous state and accordingly take up more volume.This list is only a sampling of the products made from crude oil. It is not intended to be all-inclusive. Rather it is meant to show in just how many areas products made from crude oil are found and used.

The coke they are talking about is this:

Coke is a solid carbonaceous material derived from destructive distillation of low-ash, low-sulfur bituminous coal. The volatile constituents of the coal, including water, coal-gas and coal-tar, are driven off by baking in an airless oven at temperatures as high as 1,000 degrees Celsius so that the fixed carbon and residual ash are fused together. Most coke in modern times are produced in "by-product" coke ovens, such as the photograph to the right, and the resultant coke is used as the main fuel in ironmaking blast furnaces. Today, the hydrocarbons are considered the by-products of modern cokemaking facilities (though they are usually captured and used to produce valuable products). Non-byproduct coke oven facilities, such as the lower photograph, burn the hydrocarbon off-gases on site to provide the heat needed to drive the carbonization process.

Coke oven at smokeless fuel plant, South Wales