Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do You Tip Your Lottery Clerk?

Topic closed. 85 replies. Last post 9 years ago by player345.

Page 4 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

Do you tip the lottery clerk after you get a nice win

Always [ 16 ]  [20.51%]
Sometimes [ 12 ]  [15.38%]
Never [ 25 ]  [32.05%]
You've got to be kidding!! [ 25 ]  [32.05%]
Total Valid Votes [ 78 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
Westerose
Canada
Member #52915
June 15, 2007
189 Posts
Posted: July 21, 2007, 2:06 am - IP Logged

It's obvious you just don't like people.  I do.

Get it???

No I like people just fine. What I don't like is people who make a big deal about doing what they should be doing anyway.

Saying you like giving to charity and helping out people to me is alien.... Because I understand that in order to help out others or a charity that those same people or creatures have to have a problem that needs help. 

So no it doesn't make me feel good helping them out..... not one bit because I am still sad they had whatever problem they had......    what is it about that you don't get?

What is it about keeping your charitable work secret to make it more valid and not just a ego stroking thing you don't get?

Basically I don't have to toot my own horn about what I have given or would give when I win a huge jackpot. It's pointless. It's nothing but awaiting a ego stroke pat on the back to have someone else say to you "Wow you're a really good person"      I don't need that, my ego is not that fragile or weak....

How I help out other people or creatures is my business is kept private because it comes from my heart and not my ego.

You get what I am saying now?

In your previous statement you said "I like helping others out" The operative word in that sentence was "I" not "others". 

You live a life of abundance! You have won the lottery! Belief creates reality! Believe!

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
    Member #14
    November 9, 2001
    31355 Posts
    Posted: July 21, 2007, 2:16 am - IP Logged

No I like people just fine. What I don't like is people who make a big deal about doing what they should be doing anyway.

Saying you like giving to charity and helping out people to me is alien.... Because I understand that in order to help out others or a charity that those same people or creatures have to have a problem that needs help. 

So no it doesn't make me feel good helping them out..... not one bit because I am still sad they had whatever problem they had......    what is it about that you don't get?

What is it about keeping your charitable work secret to make it more valid and not just a ego stroking thing you don't get?

Basically I don't have to toot my own horn about what I have given or would give when I win a huge jackpot. It's pointless. It's nothing but awaiting a ego stroke pat on the back to have someone else say to you "Wow you're a really good person"      I don't need that, my ego is not that fragile or weak....

How I help out other people or creatures is my business is kept private because it comes from my heart and not my ego.

You get what I am saying now?

In your previous statement you said "I like helping others out" The operative word in that sentence was "I" not "others". 

My ego is just fine - thank you.  I am a good person and proud of it.  To finish this discussion with you - to each his own - you do what pleases you and I will continue to do what pleases me.    I Love Helping People!!!  Good-night.

love to nibble those micey feet.

Westerose
      Canada
      Member #52915
      June 15, 2007
      189 Posts
      Posted: July 21, 2007, 2:19 am - IP Logged

If a Celeberty lends the Celeb Status to a Cause to make people aware of that Cause that is cool. Because it is a valid way of making people aware of a Cause. However when that same celeb starts talking about what they personally donated Dollar wise..... that's not cool..... it's tacky!!!!

Plus it's bad Karma.....

Once you start talking about percentages and dollars of what you donate it goes from being Good Karma to Bad Karma really quick and makes you look really really really TACKY!!!

This is what I am saying.

You live a life of abundance! You have won the lottery! Belief creates reality! Believe!

Westerose
        Canada
        Member #52915
        June 15, 2007
        189 Posts
        Posted: July 21, 2007, 2:26 am - IP Logged

My ego is just fine - thank you.  I am a good person and proud of it.  To finish this discussion with you - to each his own - you do what pleases you and I will continue to do what pleases me.    I Love Helping People!!!  Good-night.

quote "I love Helping People!!!"    The focus of that sentence is the word "I" again.....

why don't you try "Helping others is good"

I wish you could understand the difference.

You can do what you want. But I wish that if you respond to what I am saying that you would actually bother to read what I am actually saying and not focus on your own ego.  It shows me that you really don't care about people as much as you say you do. Your dialog with me negates what your response to my original post was completely.

"Helping others is good. Talking about how much you help others or how much you plan on helping others is bad" That is what I am saying. It's really quite simple.

Plus it's rather ridiculas in this thread anyway as it was about tipping... And people give tips based on service given not based on the need of the tipee....  I get bad service then I don't tip.. I don't like a person then I don't do business with them... Same as everyone else.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
          Member #14
          November 9, 2001
          31355 Posts
          Posted: July 21, 2007, 3:01 am - IP Logged

If a Celeberty lends the Celeb Status to a Cause to make people aware of that Cause that is cool. Because it is a valid way of making people aware of a Cause. However when that same celeb starts talking about what they personally donated Dollar wise..... that's not cool..... it's tacky!!!!

Plus it's bad Karma.....

Once you start talking about percentages and dollars of what you donate it goes from being Good Karma to Bad Karma really quick and makes you look really really really TACKY!!!

This is what I am saying.

Wonder why you go to such great lenght to impose your views.  Who appointed you Mr. Know-it-all?  Must be nice to have all the answers for all of us.  Or arrogant.

Back to the question - do I tip lottery clerk    yes.

love to nibble those micey feet.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
            Tennessee
            United States
            Member #7853
            October 15, 2004
            11338 Posts
            Posted: July 21, 2007, 3:10 am - IP Logged

emily,

i wouldn't pay attention to him.its obvious he has a chip on his shoulder about something.manzplan i just want you to know that emily is one of the most respected members here at lottery post and i really don't think she would have an ego issues or be showboating about something.

Westerose
              Canada
              Member #52915
              June 15, 2007
              189 Posts
              Posted: July 21, 2007, 3:35 am - IP Logged

emily,

i wouldn't pay attention to him.its obvious he has a chip on his shoulder about something.manzplan i just want you to know that emily is one of the most respected members here at lottery post and i really don't think she would have an ego issues or be showboating about something.

Ya know what I don't care if someone is respected by others if I don't agree with their opinion I don't agree with their opinion. It's that simple.

Did you even bother to read what I wrote? I don't think so.

There is not chip on my shoulder and I don't have to justify myself by stating over and over again that I would or do donate to charities or help others out.

I am trying to help people out with these posts. The are drawing bad karma to themselves by making these posts about how much they have given or would give to charity. It's simple metaphysics. like the 101 kind....... actually the kindergarten kind.

Having someone imply that they are a better person than me because they "Love to help people out" in response to me saying I don't like to help people out because that means they have had a problem that needs helping out is rediculas.

I didn't say I don't or wouldn't help others out. I said I don't like having to help them out. That it doesn't make me feel good or "High" to help people out because I still have a sadness that they had a problem and I wish that they didn't have that problem.  That I prefer not to discuss how much or if I would give to charities publically because I feel that is bad karma.

What do you are you people glad people have problems so you can "feel good" about helping them out?

I really wish people on forums would actually read the posts they are responding about. Geesh.

People are so conditoned it's pathetic....    Gurdjieff was right "Humans are just Robots in Search of a Soul"

People wanting other humans or creatures to suffer so they can get a "high" from helping out is criminal. And by saying you "like helping others out" that is what you are by intent metaphysically saying and creating. You are sending out energy that will make bad things happen to others so that you can help them out. Because that is what you are desiring. It's simple metaphysics.

It's time for you to all begin to start thinking differently.

Westerose
                Canada
                Member #52915
                June 15, 2007
                189 Posts
                Posted: July 21, 2007, 3:53 am - IP Logged

Maybe I can put this in some real world terms so people can understand what I am talking about.

Say your neighbour's house burns down.  You help them out with food, clothes, cash whatever. You have a "high" from helping them out instead of a sadness that their house burned down.... That is wrong. It's just wrong anyway you slice it.

I don't ever wanna have the energy of getting "high" off from the problems of others in my heart, mind, or spirit. That is what I am talking about.

Do you all understand this now?

I really don't know how much simpler I can make it.

Now.....      next part....    I would never donate PUBLICALLY to Charities.....    that operative word in that sentence is PUBLICALLY........  get it now????.....

Donating Publically does two negative things..... it is an ego boost and it opens you up to too many shady requests as well.  Plus it is damn tacky!!!

Anyway you slice it ...... it is a negative.

It helps when folks read all of the words in a sentence.

You help other living creatures out because it's the right thing to do not because you get a "high" from doing it or because you "like it". And you keep it private don't send out a press release about it. That is just wrong and tacky.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                  Harbinger
                  D.C./MD.
                  United States
                  Member #44103
                  July 30, 2006
                  5583 Posts
                  Posted: July 21, 2007, 10:50 am - IP Logged

Maybe I can put this in some real world terms so people can understand what I am talking about.

Say your neighbour's house burns down.  You help them out with food, clothes, cash whatever. You have a "high" from helping them out instead of a sadness that their house burned down.... That is wrong. It's just wrong anyway you slice it.

I don't ever wanna have the energy of getting "high" off from the problems of others in my heart, mind, or spirit. That is what I am talking about.

Do you all understand this now?

I really don't know how much simpler I can make it.

Now.....      next part....    I would never donate PUBLICALLY to Charities.....    that operative word in that sentence is PUBLICALLY........  get it now????.....

Donating Publically does two negative things..... it is an ego boost and it opens you up to too many shady requests as well.  Plus it is damn tacky!!!

Anyway you slice it ...... it is a negative.

It helps when folks read all of the words in a sentence.

You help other living creatures out because it's the right thing to do not because you get a "high" from doing it or because you "like it". And you keep it private don't send out a press release about it. That is just wrong and tacky.

publicly. 

Manzy you are tripping, you have let the scrapies get to you.  It seems you get "high" berating anyone for merely making a statement you don't even understand, for the love of God please take a breath, get some help.

Coastal Georgia
                    United States
                    Member #2653
                    October 30, 2003
                    1866 Posts
                    Posted: July 21, 2007, 12:46 pm - IP Logged

emily,

I Agree! 

United States
                      Member #17555
                      June 22, 2005
                      5582 Posts
                      Posted: July 21, 2007, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

There's one clerk who won't get a tip unless he wises up a little...lol.

I just stopped at the liquor store where I get my tickets just about everyday. The clerk is a very nice gentlemen who lost his vocal chords and uses one of those devices that one puts by his throat to speak.

Anyway, I've shopped there for almost 3 years now, and we've had many many discussions about the lottery and other things. But today was very different. As I was leaving, somehow the discussion about the odds came up, and I told him that I really don't play lotto because of the high odds. I went on to say that I have enough trouble beating the p-3 with a 1,000 to 1, much less (or more...lol) trying to contend with almost 23 million to 1.

He took his little device and said that it was more like a billion plus to 1. I assured him that he was wrong, and took out a betslip and showed the back where the odds are. He looked at me and said, "Do you really believe what it says?" I was in shock. I told him that he must be joking, but he was serious.

I said that all you need is a calculator.

Does he really think that all these millions of people out there are being duped? And can't use a calculator?  LOL....

I didn't want to argue with him because he really is a nice guy, so I just left with a smile and said bye.

It never seems to amaze me. Just like my recent blog showing a French version of "Who wants to be a millionaire", where 56% of the audience voted that the sun revolves around the earth, when the choices were...Moon, venus, Mars, or the sun.

It's incredible to me. 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19828 Posts
                        Posted: July 21, 2007, 5:42 pm - IP Logged

"I didn't want to argue with him because he really is a nice guy, so I just left with a smile and said bye."

Clerks are expected to run lottery tickets, charge the correct price and give the correct change which is usually figured by the cash register when they put in the correct information.  If he understood enough math to figure the odds of the games himself even with a calculator, he probably wouldn't have been a clerk that long unless he owned the business. (I read somewhere Einstein was a clerk for a short while when he was young)

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                          Member #17555
                          June 22, 2005
                          5582 Posts
                          Posted: July 21, 2007, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

"I didn't want to argue with him because he really is a nice guy, so I just left with a smile and said bye."

Clerks are expected to run lottery tickets, charge the correct price and give the correct change which is usually figured by the cash register when they put in the correct information.  If he understood enough math to figure the odds of the games himself even with a calculator, he probably wouldn't have been a clerk that long unless he owned the business. (I read somewhere Einstein was a clerk for a short while when he was young)

True, but what about me?

I'm just a limo driver, and I still managed to know that the moon revolves around the earth,not the sun, and that the cash 3, or lotto is not a trillion to 1.........Go figure....What? Little ol' me...?....lol

Trust me...I'm no genius....

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                            Harbinger
                            D.C./MD.
                            United States
                            Member #44103
                            July 30, 2006
                            5583 Posts
                            Posted: July 21, 2007, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

True, but what about me?

I'm just a limo driver, and I still managed to know that the moon revolves around the earth,not the sun, and that the cash 3, or lotto is not a trillion to 1.........Go figure....What? Little ol' me...?....lol

Trust me...I'm no genius....

Sometimes it is not worth the discussion, he may have been pushing a button.  From the perspective of an ant,  a mole hill looks like a mountain.

United States
                              Member #17555
                              June 22, 2005
                              5582 Posts
                              Posted: July 21, 2007, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

Sometimes it is not worth the discussion, he may have been pushing a button.  From the perspective of an ant,  a mole hill looks like a mountain.

I think there is some truth you say about pushing buttons. He kinda reminds me of my late uncle.

As far back when I was only about 4 or 5 years old, in Iran, my uncle would test my knowledge, but in a good way. He started this never ending scenario about the elephant and ant story. It was a joke of sorts which he brought up from time to time. Actually the way he recited that same old story over and over was quite amusing, yet even as a very young child, I clearly remember how it got to me after a while, as If he was now patronizing me.

Anyway....The story is about an elephant who gets hurt in the wild, and asks the help of an ant. That's where the fun begins because everyone, even at that age knew that there was pretty much no way for an ant to help an elephant. Slim to none....lol

And then he'd start to laugh on from that point, knowing how silly it was to keep going with a story of an ant carrying the elephant to get help. I forget the details, but I lucidly remember his face laughing as he told that story.

I think he meant well, but I felt uneasy after about the 79th time, hearing that story and laughter. And not being savvy enough to tell him that he should stop this tired attempt, and to get some new material, left me frustrated.

This clerk definitely fits the bill.....LOL