Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 12:09 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do You Tip Your Lottery Clerk?

Topic closed. 85 replies. Last post 9 years ago by player345.

Page 2 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

Do you tip the lottery clerk after you get a nice win

Always [ 16 ]  [20.51%]
Sometimes [ 12 ]  [15.38%]
Never [ 25 ]  [32.05%]
You've got to be kidding!! [ 25 ]  [32.05%]
Total Valid Votes [ 78 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
spookysoozy's avatar - acepent
South Georgia
United States
Member #100
January 28, 2002
3734 Posts
Posted: July 18, 2007, 8:22 am - IP Logged

two times I gave my girl a ticket on triples and they fell. She made some nice dough. The tip cost me a dollar but I sure get good service.

as they fell in the past, Ga first. 1=0, 0=1

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing

Lucky's avatar - hiro horse.jpg
    Ohio
    United States
    Member #20
    December 20, 2000
    57076 Posts
    Posted: July 18, 2007, 8:26 am - IP Logged

I always give a tip when I cash in a winning ticket, and have also given them a ticket or two for pick 3 games with the tip !!

Good Luck Lep

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
      Magnolia, Delaware
      United States
      Member #18795
      July 20, 2005
      789 Posts
      Posted: July 18, 2007, 9:02 am - IP Logged

This is a joke, right?Skeptical

I Agree!

Besides, I do most of the operating of the lottery machine here when buying or redeeming my tickets! But when I go to Maryland or NJ to buy my MM tickets I can't run my own cards through the machine. To me it doesn't matter if I had a big win or not, I don't tip the person behind the counter when playing the lottery! I do tip when playing table games when in Vegas, but that's a horse of a different color entirely!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

lottoqueen29's avatar - Lottery-044.jpg
        tExAs
        United States
        Member #51341
        April 6, 2007
        12 Posts
        Posted: July 18, 2007, 9:34 am - IP Logged

I have never tipped a clerk.  I guess I never thought about it.  If I ever hit the "BIG ONE", I will tip a few of the clerks that are always nice to me.

onenumber's avatar - swordgirl
          Chicago, IL
          United States
          Member #8354
          November 2, 2004
          1580 Posts
          Posted: July 18, 2007, 10:48 am - IP Logged

I have been going to same store for years.  They let me drop off my slips - pick them up later on way home.  On a substantial win - I always tip.  I see other regular customers do the same.

My feeling is if God blessed me - I'll pass it on.

em,

If a clerk provides you special services like you mentioned, then I could see where tipping the clerk would be in order.  I suppose if I had a place that I had developed relationships with the clerks, then I would be more willing to give tips when I win.

NITEHAWK61's avatar - wings2
            WESTCHESTER/NEW YORK
            United States
            Member #25041
            October 31, 2005
            106 Posts
            Posted: July 18, 2007, 11:22 am - IP Logged

I developed a relationship with the clerks at the store that I buy my tickets at and they always go that extra mile for me.

like if I have a big stack of tickets to check they will check them.

or if I am in a hurry they will run my numbers for me.

or I can drop them off and come back and they will be done.

I also know I can call them and they will take numbers over the phone.some stores say you have to come in.

two night's ago I had 8 out of 10 on the pick ten and I won $300.00 so I tossed him a $20.00

last night I had 4 out of 5 on take five I won $544.00 and I will toss him another $20.00.

some times I jsut give them a $5.00 for coffee because they take care of me.

so yes I will tip that person that always helps me out!!!

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
              Member #50124
              February 26, 2007
              601 Posts
              Posted: July 18, 2007, 11:49 am - IP Logged

Several years ago I won $100 on the powerball.  When I went to cash it in, the clerk told me that her customers usually tip her, so she was going to give me $80 to make it easy.  Sheesh!  I told her I'd been playing for years and even with this win I was $1000's in the hole.  She begrudgingly gave me the whole $100.  To top it off, this was a clerk who worked evenings and her boyfriend would come stand behind the counter and grope her while she worked.  Ugh!  I hated when I walked in and she was working.

It's hard to answer the poll because what a "nice" win is varies by person.  $100 definitely not.  $1000 probably not.  $5000 or $10000 probably $100 - $500 if s/he is at minimum polite to me.  When I win the powerball jackpot the clerk who sold it to me will get a nice gift basket and $10000 in Amex gift checks.  Unless it's the clerk/asst. manager who started working there a couple weeks ago.  She will get a $5 Arby's inside a nice card with a note saying it would have been ten grand had she been at least courteous to her customers.  LOL

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19904 Posts
                Posted: July 18, 2007, 12:43 pm - IP Logged

I buy my lottery tickets at different places because I don't want a relationship with the clerks, they are there to do a job not be my friend. 

Their jobs are low pay so they probably would appreciate a tip but I only tip at places where tips are part of the pay such as a set-down restaurant, sorry McDonald and Burger King aren't included.

When I'm buying lottery tickets, I don't want the clerks thinking of me as friend who cares about their personal problems or someone who will remember them if I win big.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                  Member #14
                  November 9, 2001
                  31553 Posts
                  Posted: July 18, 2007, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

I developed a relationship with the clerks at the store that I buy my tickets at and they always go that extra mile for me.

like if I have a big stack of tickets to check they will check them.

or if I am in a hurry they will run my numbers for me.

or I can drop them off and come back and they will be done.

I also know I can call them and they will take numbers over the phone.some stores say you have to come in.

two night's ago I had 8 out of 10 on the pick ten and I won $300.00 so I tossed him a $20.00

last night I had 4 out of 5 on take five I won $544.00 and I will toss him another $20.00.

some times I jsut give them a $5.00 for coffee because they take care of me.

so yes I will tip that person that always helps me out!!!

That's another good point - when the weather is bad - I can call in my numbers.  A little tip works for my benefit and theirs. 

love to nibble those micey feet.

Coastal Georgia
                    United States
                    Member #2653
                    October 30, 2003
                    1866 Posts
                    Posted: July 18, 2007, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

In March 2007, I hit Florida Play 4 for $17,700. The 7-11 store, where I normally turn my playslips in, I gave each of the 5 clerks $100.00

That was very nice of you Bob- most people are not that generous. 

I believe in karma - you get what you give. You were good to these people and you will get it in return. I try to be the same way...

DD

bobby jones's avatar - anime15
                      illinois
                      United States
                      Member #4322
                      April 13, 2004
                      27 Posts
                      Posted: July 18, 2007, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

the only way that i would tip the store clerk is if that clerk gave me a winning number and i won from it. other than that i just see it as them doing the job that they

are paid to do.

NITEHAWK61's avatar - wings2
                        WESTCHESTER/NEW YORK
                        United States
                        Member #25041
                        October 31, 2005
                        106 Posts
                        Posted: July 18, 2007, 1:36 pm - IP Logged

I agree about the Karma!!!

2 months ago I donated $50.00 out of my lottery winnings and I won $400.00 the very next day!!!

so,yeah you have that Karma thing going on!!!

Bahamas
                          Member #44107
                          July 30, 2006
                          252 Posts
                          Posted: July 18, 2007, 6:25 pm - IP Logged

Lottery clerks are not paid anything much, so there is nothing wrong with tipping if your heart allows you to, or better still you can bless someone in need, that is what I do.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                            Member #4877
                            May 30, 2004
                            5146 Posts
                            Posted: July 18, 2007, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

That's another good point - when the weather is bad - I can call in my numbers.  A little tip works for my benefit and theirs. 

PSYKOMO has >>>>>>>>stated BEFORE>>>>>>>>......................

of HAVING clerk's WHO >>......................>>>>>>>>.......................

& or punch-OUT when  >>......................>>>>>>>>.......................

PSYKOMO has >>>>>>>>stated............sum are GRATUDED TOO $

$ERVE >>>>>>>>>>>>>stated.............PSYKOMO ??????????????

WHAT DOSEN TIP'$$$$$$$$$$

have to DO with LUCK?

PartyPartyParty.......??Jack-in-the-Box

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                              Member #4877
                              May 30, 2004
                              5146 Posts
                              Posted: July 18, 2007, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

THANKssssssssss emilyg:

MINE  $$$$$$$$$ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TOO!!!!!

LOL

PSYKOMO                               Big Grin Angel ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^