Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do You Tip Your Lottery Clerk?

Topic closed. 85 replies. Last post 9 years ago by player345.

Page 3 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

Do you tip the lottery clerk after you get a nice win

Always [ 16 ]  [20.51%]
Sometimes [ 12 ]  [15.38%]
Never [ 25 ]  [32.05%]
You've got to be kidding!! [ 25 ]  [32.05%]
Total Valid Votes [ 78 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
TigerAngel's avatar - tiger andfairy.jpg
california
United States
Member #23475
October 13, 2005
659 Posts
Posted: July 18, 2007, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

I have a regular lottery clerk.  I told her once that if I won a multi-million dollar prize, I would give her $10,000.  That sounds fair considering how little she makes and what a big jerk the owner of the Amarillo, Texas Toot n Totum company has proven himself to be.  He was once quoted as saying that "if you can't afford my gas, you are obviously not working hard enough."  We have the highest gasoline prices in Texas most of the time.  Giving a Toot n Totum clerk a $10,000 tip would embarrass this jerk to death.  It would be well worth it to rub "it" in his face.

Orangeman

LOL, Orangeman, I like your style. . . LOL

Blue Angel  "if you can hold it in your mind, you can hold it in your hand"

Westerose
    Canada
    Member #52915
    June 15, 2007
    189 Posts
    Posted: July 19, 2007, 1:33 am - IP Logged

I replied you've got to be kidding.......        In the event of a huge jackpot win I may or may not tip them.......      but for smaller amounts no way....

One store where I buy tickets it depends on the clerk...... because one of them doesn't believe global warming exists so I would not tip that clerk......

However I perfer to buy tickets when I go to other cities or to West Edmonton Mall..... since I live in a small community. Winning with one of those tickets bought in another area I wouldn't even remember who exactly I bought it from. Just where.

It's different when you win at your regular lotto play point. It's sort of expected then. Especially if you live in a small community. But I wouldn't get insane with the amount...... cos then everyone else will have their hands out as well.

You live a life of abundance! You have won the lottery! Belief creates reality! Believe!

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
      Member #24380
      October 21, 2005
      623 Posts
      Posted: July 19, 2007, 2:51 am - IP Logged

Aaaghh Nope!  This is NOT a service job like waitresses, bellhops, etc. have.  Besides, the store should tip their employees when they win for selling the big one(s). Do you tip the clerks for buting soda at their stores?  I say sodas because sometimes they have winning prizes from another free soda to many dollars.  Just my opinion.

United States
        Member #53521
        July 9, 2007
        13 Posts
        Posted: July 19, 2007, 8:28 am - IP Logged

I really can't answer if I 'have' tipped... because I've never won more than a few bucks. If I won BIG though, I would definitely tip mine but only because I've been going there for so many years (even before the lotto here). There are only a few of them so I would give the max. amount for a gift (8-10k?). I also hope that the lady who owns it would split the sell bonus money with them too.

In the rare chance that I stopped by another store and picked them up, I'd still give to my regular store clerks. They'd need it even more since I didn't buy them there and the store itself wouldn't get that sale bonus.  

JADELottery's avatar - MeAtWork 03.PNG
          The Quantum Master
          West Concord, MN
          United States
          Member #21
          December 7, 2001
          3675 Posts
          Posted: July 19, 2007, 2:39 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, sure... every time I win something. The Wisconsin CGN games are really great. Now let's see... What's 10% of nothing? Hold on, I need to break out the super computer for this one...  click-click-click, tap-tap....  carry the 0...  multipy by nothing...  yep, 0 dollars and 0 cents again, enjoy.

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
          Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
          Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
          Knowledge is Beyond Belief
          Wisdom is Not Censored
          Douglas Paul Smallish
          Jehocifer

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7323 Posts
            Posted: July 19, 2007, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

I replied you've got to be kidding.......        In the event of a huge jackpot win I may or may not tip them.......      but for smaller amounts no way....

One store where I buy tickets it depends on the clerk...... because one of them doesn't believe global warming exists so I would not tip that clerk......

However I perfer to buy tickets when I go to other cities or to West Edmonton Mall..... since I live in a small community. Winning with one of those tickets bought in another area I wouldn't even remember who exactly I bought it from. Just where.

It's different when you win at your regular lotto play point. It's sort of expected then. Especially if you live in a small community. But I wouldn't get insane with the amount...... cos then everyone else will have their hands out as well.

"However I perfer to buy tickets when I go to other cities or to West Edmonton Mall..... since I live in a small community."

You've got to be kidding.

If "where you buy the tickets" matters, you're either playing QPs or very superstitious. But if you're only buying QPs, there is nothing a clerk could do deserving of a tip so there is no reason to tip unless you consider the clerk part of your "hope I get lucky" process.

Westerose
              Canada
              Member #52915
              June 15, 2007
              189 Posts
              Posted: July 20, 2007, 1:43 am - IP Logged

"However I perfer to buy tickets when I go to other cities or to West Edmonton Mall..... since I live in a small community."

You've got to be kidding.

If "where you buy the tickets" matters, you're either playing QPs or very superstitious. But if you're only buying QPs, there is nothing a clerk could do deserving of a tip so there is no reason to tip unless you consider the clerk part of your "hope I get lucky" process.

I prefer to buy in other areas than where I live because it's a very small community. IE everyone knows everyone else.  So you'd not even get a chance to catch your breath winning huge on a ticket here. There is one gas station that sells lottery tickets the nearest other one is 20 miles away and the next one is about 45 miles away.  During the summer when tourist are here it might not be that big of issue winning cos they might think it's just a tourist winning. Niether my wife or I could quit our off farm jobs in good concious for at least a month to give them time to replace us.

I have bought them here when I haven't been away from the community for a week or two. However I try to buy them outside of the community when I can for that reason.  It's not a matter of "if" to me it's a matter of when I am gonna be told I can pick up the check.

Not a matter of superstition whatsoever. But I do like to play quick picks and have had alot of smaller wins that way.

Apart from that I prefer buying from some clerks over others at the place I buy tickets at because one clerk I know doesn't believe global warming exists and I would like to give a tip in the event of a large lottery win but I could not and would not give a dime to the person who doesn't believe global warming exists. Like I said it's a small community and we know everything about everyone lol. Most folks here that live here year round are environmentally friendly except that one person. So regardless of buying lottery tickets I prefer not to do business with that gas station when that person is on shift anyway.

we create our own luck with our thoughts :)

You live a life of abundance! You have won the lottery! Belief creates reality! Believe!

Westerose
                Canada
                Member #52915
                June 15, 2007
                189 Posts
                Posted: July 20, 2007, 1:47 am - IP Logged

I buy my lottery tickets at different places because I don't want a relationship with the clerks, they are there to do a job not be my friend. 

Their jobs are low pay so they probably would appreciate a tip but I only tip at places where tips are part of the pay such as a set-down restaurant, sorry McDonald and Burger King aren't included.

When I'm buying lottery tickets, I don't want the clerks thinking of me as friend who cares about their personal problems or someone who will remember them if I win big.

I tend to agree with you a bit. I think some people wanna do the tip thing to make themselves feel good or like the big shot and deep down could care less about the clerk. It's just stroking their own ego a bit.

Sort of the same way I feel with a couple of exceptions.

Westerose
                  Canada
                  Member #52915
                  June 15, 2007
                  189 Posts
                  Posted: July 20, 2007, 1:53 am - IP Logged

Several years ago I won $100 on the powerball.  When I went to cash it in, the clerk told me that her customers usually tip her, so she was going to give me $80 to make it easy.  Sheesh!  I told her I'd been playing for years and even with this win I was $1000's in the hole.  She begrudgingly gave me the whole $100.  To top it off, this was a clerk who worked evenings and her boyfriend would come stand behind the counter and grope her while she worked.  Ugh!  I hated when I walked in and she was working.

It's hard to answer the poll because what a "nice" win is varies by person.  $100 definitely not.  $1000 probably not.  $5000 or $10000 probably $100 - $500 if s/he is at minimum polite to me.  When I win the powerball jackpot the clerk who sold it to me will get a nice gift basket and $10000 in Amex gift checks.  Unless it's the clerk/asst. manager who started working there a couple weeks ago.  She will get a $5 Arby's inside a nice card with a note saying it would have been ten grand had she been at least courteous to her customers.  LOL

You did the right thing. That clerk is the epitome of greed.  Yes people that is an example of greed. Not the people who would just stick to helping their own out. But people who think they are entitled to other people's things.

I won't even give the anti-environment clerk a $5 gift certificate.....    might give her a DVD of The Inconvient Truth or some other thing about environmental issues. lol

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                    Member #14
                    November 9, 2001
                    31369 Posts
                    Posted: July 20, 2007, 2:33 am - IP Logged

Perhaps.  But there are lots more people who enjoy sharing with others when Lady Luck touches them. 

love to nibble those micey feet.

Westerose
                      Canada
                      Member #52915
                      June 15, 2007
                      189 Posts
                      Posted: July 20, 2007, 3:38 am - IP Logged

Perhaps.  But there are lots more people who enjoy sharing with others when Lady Luck touches them. 

thing is that even though I said about a DVD above I really wouldn't share with anyone that I didn't want to share with in my heart.

Some people I simply just don't like. lol

I am more concerned with my immeadiate family and once they are taken care of then maybe I will consider others....

truthfully I can see that taking awhile to be sure.

What's wrong with waiting til you die to give to ummm "others" then you don't run the risk on being prideful about it all.

United States
                        Member #14
                        November 9, 2001
                        31369 Posts
                        Posted: July 20, 2007, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

Waiting till you die to give to others?  I like giving while I'm alive. 

You don't have to "like" someone to help them out.

Westerose
                          Canada
                          Member #52915
                          June 15, 2007
                          189 Posts
                          Posted: July 21, 2007, 1:28 am - IP Logged

Waiting till you die to give to others?  I like giving while I'm alive. 

You don't have to "like" someone to help them out.

I don't like giving to others to help them out.  I don't like other people having problems that I need to help them out with.

I rather have a world where everyone has their proper level of abundance.

I don't get "High" off of giving to people or charities..... to me that is the sickest form of addiction and "high"

to me even talking about or admitting that you would give to or give to charities to anyone other than your spouse or immeadiate family is wrong. Some things should be kept private. If you do give to charities and help others out it's best kept to yourself..... otherwise it's just a way to stroke a weak ego. Plain and Simple. There is no arguement to this point as when people know you have given you also recieve something IE recognition.....      a true gift from the heart is given in silence without expecting a thank you. Get it?

As for "helping out" someone I don't like well in this case I was talking about a "tip" to someone and I have refused tipping people I don't deem worthy of a tip everyone has......    in this specific case with the lady that doesn't believe global warming exists........ I simply don't shop at that business when she is on anymore..... for that reason....        I wouldn't help out Hitler if he was in need and I won't help out a person who is against what I believe in. I just won't. It's pointless. But it doesn't matter cos she won't get a tip because I won't do business with the store when she is there.  That is my right.

It's not like I am playing Keno every 10 minutes or even the dailys. I play Super 7 and Lotto 6 49 when they get 10 Million....  I itemized everything I dream of doing if a lottery win and based on that and having a significant amount left over for investment.. that is when I begin to play.  I don't see the point of playing before then really.

So it's quite easy for me to choose when I buy my tickets so that I don't have to deal with someone I don't care to deal with.

A Tip is a Tip..... It's not a charity...  it's a gratuity.... there is a big difference.  I would tip someone I knew that had millions of dollars if they gave me good service  except if I was aware of some wacky belief that had that I was against.  Then I simply wouldn't do business with them if I could avoid it. In this case I can avoid it.

Truthfully I wouldn't even go as far as doing anything spiteful to the person by giving them a token gift and saying it could have been more if.....    that is rally not me either.

United States
                            Member #14
                            November 9, 2001
                            31369 Posts
                            Posted: July 21, 2007, 1:45 am - IP Logged

I don't like giving to others to help them out.  I don't like other people having problems that I need to help them out with.

I rather have a world where everyone has their proper level of abundance.

I don't get "High" off of giving to people or charities..... to me that is the sickest form of addiction and "high"

to me even talking about or admitting that you would give to or give to charities to anyone other than your spouse or immeadiate family is wrong. Some things should be kept private. If you do give to charities and help others out it's best kept to yourself..... otherwise it's just a way to stroke a weak ego. Plain and Simple. There is no arguement to this point as when people know you have given you also recieve something IE recognition.....      a true gift from the heart is given in silence without expecting a thank you. Get it?

As for "helping out" someone I don't like well in this case I was talking about a "tip" to someone and I have refused tipping people I don't deem worthy of a tip everyone has......    in this specific case with the lady that doesn't believe global warming exists........ I simply don't shop at that business when she is on anymore..... for that reason....        I wouldn't help out Hitler if he was in need and I won't help out a person who is against what I believe in. I just won't. It's pointless. But it doesn't matter cos she won't get a tip because I won't do business with the store when she is there.  That is my right.

It's not like I am playing Keno every 10 minutes or even the dailys. I play Super 7 and Lotto 6 49 when they get 10 Million....  I itemized everything I dream of doing if a lottery win and based on that and having a significant amount left over for investment.. that is when I begin to play.  I don't see the point of playing before then really.

So it's quite easy for me to choose when I buy my tickets so that I don't have to deal with someone I don't care to deal with.

A Tip is a Tip..... It's not a charity...  it's a gratuity.... there is a big difference.  I would tip someone I knew that had millions of dollars if they gave me good service  except if I was aware of some wacky belief that had that I was against.  Then I simply wouldn't do business with them if I could avoid it. In this case I can avoid it.

Truthfully I wouldn't even go as far as doing anything spiteful to the person by giving them a token gift and saying it could have been more if.....    that is rally not me either.

It's obvious you just don't like people.  I do.

Get it???

KyMystikal's avatar - 1457224010054
                              Florence, Alabama
                              United States
                              Member #8658
                              November 13, 2004
                              1993 Posts
                              Posted: July 21, 2007, 1:53 am - IP Logged

I developed a relationship with the clerks at the store that I buy my tickets at and they always go that extra mile for me.

like if I have a big stack of tickets to check they will check them.

or if I am in a hurry they will run my numbers for me.

or I can drop them off and come back and they will be done.

I also know I can call them and they will take numbers over the phone.some stores say you have to come in.

two night's ago I had 8 out of 10 on the pick ten and I won $300.00 so I tossed him a $20.00

last night I had 4 out of 5 on take five I won $544.00 and I will toss him another $20.00.

some times I jsut give them a $5.00 for coffee because they take care of me.

so yes I will tip that person that always helps me out!!!

I'm have the same situation here. I also tip in other stores too just because they give good service. I WILL NOT tip a clerk who begs for a tip after I win and they didn't play the ticket in the 1st place.

I love doubles and remember, it's just a game!!!!!!