Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you pray before you buy the lotto?

Topic closed. 77 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Todd.

Page 3 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

Do you pray to God before you buy lotto?

Yes [ 20 ]  [33.33%]
No [ 40 ]  [66.67%]
Total Valid Votes [ 60 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  

United States
Member #16612
June 2, 2005
3493 Posts
Posted: August 7, 2007, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

My vote would be yes. I hope I win the lotto if I gambled.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: August 7, 2007, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

Iron Door writes:  Please  don't  go  MYSTICAL  since  that  would  involve  DEVIL  SPIRITS  ...AND  WE  DON'T  NEED  THAT....BESIDES  PRAYER  I   THINK  MEANS  - PETITION

Mystical - this is a forum on LP, which is what I was talking about, and I don't believe discussing spiritual awakenings involves the Devil. Miracles are described all through the Bible. 

Petition - Jim Morrison said "You cannot petition the Lord with prayer."  I agree with that statement if it's bargaining, demanding or making a deal, i.e., "I'll stop stealing if you let me win the lottery." 

As far as whether or not particular religions/churches or groups accept gambling is a different question than if it's stated in the Bible.  The Salvation Army refused a donation from a local lottery winner, yet churches & synagogues have Bingo and Raffles all the time. 

To me, we each have a private relationship with our Higher Power, Maker or whatever word you wish to choose for the Creator of the Universe.  It is not up to another to pass judgment on any one of us unless he or she commits a crime or threatens our families. 

Also, I can take many verses from the Bible that say to do or not to do something.  There are churches on every corner that practice something just a little different from the one across the road.  We were given Free Will to decide what is in our hearts and a conscience to correct us if we do wrong.  Most people I know who have a love for G-d and believe in His goodness and power use prayer to praise Him and thank Him and ask for guidance.  If you really believe G-d is omnipotent and omnipresent, then He already knows someone is sick or poor, right?  So why do we have to remind Him that he missed somebody?

On a personal note, I've been trying to recite a Mourner's Prayer for my Dad, but I don't know Hebrew, so I asked my sister to go to the synagogue to say Kaddish for my father, since there are no sons in the family. She studied in Israel, knows the traditions, and is also the oldest. That would be very important to him.  There is an English translation, and the words are full of praise for G-d.  That's all it says.  The prayer doesn't ask God to do anything. It doesn't talk about the deceased. The answer I was given is that, if you really believe our parents, children, friends are sent to us by G-d, then why won't we celebrate when that same person is taken away to go home again? When I was struggling with this prayer, I decided to recite the 23rd Psalm instead.  I know I'm not saying the right words or in the right setting, but if you believe G-d is everywhere, then He will hear me. 

This made me think of something else. My Dad had a nice funeral in a chapel with a limousine. The chapel was filled with his friends.  But what if he was too poor for a "proper" funeral?  What if he were homeless and died alone? Would it make a difference to G-d?  Since we've been children, we've all heard "ashes to ashes," yet while we are living we forget that we will all end up as dust to dust.  Yes, I want to win a jackpot, have a lot of money and live comfortably. I won't apologize for that desire. But how we live is much more important.

"Better is a dish of vegetables where love is than a fattened ox served with hatred." Proverbs

United States
      Member #51688
      April 19, 2007
      200 Posts
      Posted: August 7, 2007, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

Better is a dish of vegetables where love is than a fattened ox served with hatred." Proverbs re. But how we live is much more important.

(2)re. But how we live is much more important

enough  said  .....

United States
        Member #51688
        April 19, 2007
        200 Posts
        Posted: August 8, 2007, 1:02 am - IP Logged

Maybe we first need to define the word "prayer" since some of us think it's asking for something.  I've been told prayer is listening.  Some believe we should pray for each other and world peace. Others believe the process of praying is praising the Lord for everything He has already done for us and all He has created. 

Maybe this topic belongs in Mystical, and I'm not sure we should get into a religious discussion on LP(although we often do) but it's hard to say if we do something or not when the act itself has yet to be defined.  I am changing my previous answer to "No" since I do wish for a win, but I won't call it prayer.

this  is  what  others  have  said  on  simular  post ?// 

I want to add something to my post...While I realize that there are litterally millions of people trying to win the Big One...my point is I believe that in an honestly run game like Powerball...I can win.  I tell myself over and over again that I will win...but the reality is despite the frustation that leads to the feelings of futility...I do believe that I can win.  And that is what keeps me playing.

I don't know if winners are chosen by luck, fate, destiny, karma, number crunching, or the Hand of God...but I do believe I can win.  And a fair chance is all anyone can ask for when playing a lottery jackpot game.

Jim 

Money frees you from doing things you dislike.  Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.  - Groucho Marx

United States
          Member #51688
          April 19, 2007
          200 Posts
          Posted: August 8, 2007, 1:27 am - IP Logged

I believe that the universe couldn't give two shmidtz about anyone's lottery ambitions

What's a shmidtz?  What?  I think I know.  I was getting a gallon of water from the machine at Publix and a sign read "please, no shmidtz."  So I think someone once tried to stick his shmidtz in the coin dispenser.

Romans 12:2:
          And be not conformed to this world:  but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what
          is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Deuteronomy 10:17:
          For the Lord your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible [awe-inspiring], which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward.

II Chronicles 19:7:
          Wherefore now let the fear [respect] of the Lord be upon you; take heed and do it:  for there is no iniquity with the Lord our God, nor respect of persons, nor taking of gifts.

Luke 20:21:
          And they asked him, saying, Master, we know that thou sayest and teachest rightly, neither acceptest thou the person of any, but teachest the way of God truly.

On the day of Pentecost, when God shed forth His gift of holy spirit, He made it available to anyone who would believe the conditions set in Romans 10:9 and 10.

Romans 10:9,10:
          That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
          For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

But it took some time before the apostles of Christ began to really comprehend the depth of this reality.  God had to give Peter a vision to explicitly confirm this was His will.  And in Acts 10, we see Peter’s response to the vision.

Acts 10:34:
          Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons.

God does not care whether a person is a Judean or a Gentile.  He is not concerned about the color of someone’s skin, their nationality, their gender, their age, their background.  God offers His gift of holy spirit to all who will meet the conditions set forth in His Word.

These truths are available for all to read and believe in the Church Epistles addressed to us today.

Romans 2:11:
          For there is no respect of persons with God.

Ephesians 6:9:
          And, ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing threatening:  knowing that your Master also is in heaven; neither is there respect of persons with him.

Colossians 3:25:
          But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done:  and there is no respect of persons.

The Greek word (prosopolepsia) translated “respect of persons” in the above verses means “partiality.”  Thayer’s Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament states that it is “the fault of one who when called on to requite or to give judgment has respect to the outward circumstances of men and not to their intrinsic merits, and so prefers, as the more worthy, one who is rich, high-born, or powerful, to another who is destitute of such gifts.”  God absolutely does not have respect of persons.
          In the Epistle of James the brethren are exhorted to do the same.

James 2:1:
          My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons.

Enjoy reading these verses which also express God’s heart so beautifully regarding this truth.

I Samuel 16:7:
          But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him:  for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.

John 12:46:
          I [Jesus Christ] am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.

Acts 2:21:
          And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Romans 3:22:
          Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe:  for there is no difference.

Romans 10:11,12:
          For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
          For there is no difference between the Jew
          [Judean] and the Greek:  for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

I Corinthians 12:13:
          For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews [Judeans] or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Galatians 3:28:
          There is neither Jew [Judean] nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female:  for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

United States
            Member #51688
            April 19, 2007
            200 Posts
            Posted: August 8, 2007, 1:45 am - IP Logged

Just wondering how many of you in here pray before you buy any form of lotto.

FAINT NOT!

Galatians 6:9:

And let us not be weary [not lose heart or courage]

in well doing:  for in due season we shall reap,

if we faint not [relax not].

Gods Word promises that we shall receive the fruit of our labors if we don’t lose courage and if we don’t faint, or relax, in our minds-that is, if we stay faithful.
            Proverbs 28:20:
            A faithful man shall abound with blessings....

I Corinthians 4:2:
            Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.
            One way to describe faithfulness is "stick-to-itiveness."  How can we develop this kind of  "stick-to-itiveness" so that even when the pressure is on, we don’t faint?  Lets see what the Word says.
            PRAY
            Rather than losing courage and fainting in our mind when we face pressures, challenges, or obstacles, we are exhorted always to pray.

Luke 18:1:
            And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint.

II Corinthians 4:16:
            For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.
            HAVE CONFIDENCE IN GOD, NOT IN OURSELVES
            Through the power of God in Christ in us and a knowledge of the Word, we can continue to be faithful.
            II Corinthians 4:1,7:
            Therefore seeing we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we faint not.
            But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.
            GIVE
            Another key to not losing heart in any of our endeavors is to put God first as we give in different categories:  finances, time, talents, and abilities, remembering that we are part of Gods household.

Galatians 6:9,10:
            And let us not be weary in well doing:  for in due season we shall reap,
            if we faint not.
            As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.
            When we or our loved ones face difficult circumstances, we could be tempted to doubt, worry, or fear.  But in these challenging times, lets remember to pray, have confidence in God-not ourselves, and to give.  And as we "stick to it," lets allow the wonderful words of the Word to encourage us and build us up because our strength is in the Lord God Almighty.
            Isaiah 40:29-31:
            He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might
            he increaseth strength.
            Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall:
            But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength;
            they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary;
            and they shall walk, and NOT FAINT
              Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10353 Posts
              Posted: August 8, 2007, 2:25 am - IP Logged

Brothers and sisters someone please say thus endeth the lesson!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: August 8, 2007, 2:30 am - IP Logged

And the people all said "Amen!" 

United States
                  Member #51688
                  April 19, 2007
                  200 Posts
                  Posted: August 8, 2007, 4:21 am - IP Logged

before  we  go  lets  toss  a  coin  or  two:  And  a  final  thought ....

Romans 12:2:
                  And be not conformed to this world:  but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what
                  is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10353 Posts
                    Posted: August 8, 2007, 9:44 am - IP Logged

Ecclesiastes 3:7

A time to keep silence and a time to speak.

And now it's time for discernment! 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                      Member #51688
                      April 19, 2007
                      200 Posts
                      Posted: August 8, 2007, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

Ecclesiastes 3:7

A time to keep silence and a time to speak.

And now it's time for discernment! 

Its  the  Bible  ,not  horse-shoes  or  artilery  and  its  not  the  lottery .......close  doesn't  count  for    GOD  either; 

proverbs 19:01

better  is  the  poor that  walketh in  his  integrity ,than he  that  is  perverse  in his  lips, and is  a  fool;

Coastal Georgia
                        United States
                        Member #2653
                        October 30, 2003
                        1866 Posts
                        Posted: August 8, 2007, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

I do not "pray before I buy the lotto", which was the original question,

but I do pray this thread will end. 

United States
                          Member #51688
                          April 19, 2007
                          200 Posts
                          Posted: August 8, 2007, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

I do not "pray before I buy the lotto", which was the original question,

but I do pray this thread will end. 

why  ...because  GOD'S  WORD  IS  THE  SUBJECT  LINE  ???

if  we  were  talking  about  some  stupid  question  like  (would  you  tell  your  wife  if  you  hit  the  jackpot??) MILLIONS  WOULD  RESPOND  AND  THE  THREAD  WOULD  GO  ON  FOR  YEARS  ,BUT  7  OR  MORE  RESPONCES  TO  praying  to  GOD  AND  YOUR  READY  TO  PUT  CHRIST  BACK  UP  ON  THE  CROSS!!!!

people  are  just  scared  of  GOD  somehow  they  think  if  they  just  keep  quiet  ....GOD  wont  see  or  hear  them  ??/ which  is  even  dummber!!

get  a  grip  ...life  is  all  about  praying  for  the  things  you  want 

if  I  CAN'T  POST  GODS  WORD ..Hyper........ WHY  POST  ANYTHING Hurray!

Coastal Georgia
                            United States
                            Member #2653
                            October 30, 2003
                            1866 Posts
                            Posted: August 8, 2007, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

if  we  were  talking  about  some  stupid  question  like  (would  you  tell  your  wife  if  you  hit  the  jackpot??) MILLIONS  WOULD  RESPOND  AND  THE  THREAD  WOULD  GO  ON  FOR  YEARS  ,BUT  7  OR  MORE  RESPONCES  TO  praying  to  GOD  AND  YOUR  READY  TO  PUT  CHRIST  BACK  UP  ON  THE  CROSS!!!!

people  are  just  scared  of  GOD  somehow  they  think  if  they  just  keep  quiet  ....GOD  wont  see  or  hear  them  ??/ which  is  even  dummber!!

Ok you are right- please keep it going....Rant

United States
                              Member #17555
                              June 22, 2005
                              5582 Posts
                              Posted: August 8, 2007, 7:00 pm - IP Logged

I can't speak for anyone but myself.

You say people are scared of God. No, I'm scared of of people who supposedly know what the truth is. That's what really scares me.

In a non provoked response i will say that you are the one that should "Get a grip".

There is no person on this planet that has,and can, prove without a shodow of a doubt that any deities exist, having eternal powers.

Your idealism holds as much water as all the other one's proclaiming to be the truth.

They all can't be right!

Just watch Zeitgeist the movie. All religions derived from "Horus", the sun god, some 10,000 years ago.

Every story line can be traced back to the Zodiac sign. That's right!

Enjoy!

http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/