Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:54 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you pray before you buy the lotto?

Topic closed. 77 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Todd.

Page 4 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

Do you pray to God before you buy lotto?

Yes [ 20 ]  [33.33%]
No [ 40 ]  [66.67%]
Total Valid Votes [ 60 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: August 8, 2007, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

Ok you are right- please keep it going....Rant

No, he is NOT right.  This is a LOTTERY DISCUSSION forum. 

Anyone can quote scripture and plaster it all over the internet.  Most people who do that are looking for a lot of attention.  Some of our elected officials quote the Bible while they're ordering mass slaughter.  As long as we're quoting....in the Book of Matthew it is written:

"When you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words."

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
    Member #14
    November 9, 2001
    31358 Posts
    Posted: August 8, 2007, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

why  ...because  GOD'S  WORD  IS  THE  SUBJECT  LINE  ???

if  we  were  talking  about  some  stupid  question  like  (would  you  tell  your  wife  if  you  hit  the  jackpot??) MILLIONS  WOULD  RESPOND  AND  THE  THREAD  WOULD  GO  ON  FOR  YEARS  ,BUT  7  OR  MORE  RESPONCES  TO  praying  to  GOD  AND  YOUR  READY  TO  PUT  CHRIST  BACK  UP  ON  THE  CROSS!!!!

people  are  just  scared  of  GOD  somehow  they  think  if  they  just  keep  quiet  ....GOD  wont  see  or  hear  them  ??/ which  is  even  dummber!!

get  a  grip  ...life  is  all  about  praying  for  the  things  you  want 

if  I  CAN'T  POST  GODS  WORD ..Hyper........ WHY  POST  ANYTHING Hurray!

Because this is Lotterypost - not Biblepost. 

Why don't u put your mission in your blog.

love to nibble those micey feet.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10353 Posts
      Posted: August 8, 2007, 8:08 pm - IP Logged

Well said emilyg.

irondoor827- time and place. There are plenty of Christian discussion boards- how would you like it if you were on one and someone started peppering it with lotto posts?

God doesn't care about the outcome of a lottery drawing* or a sporting event - unless of course it's Notre Dame football -

Wink

especially if they're playing BYU or SMU  

* well He may influence it! 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
        Harbinger
        D.C./MD.
        United States
        Member #44103
        July 30, 2006
        5583 Posts
        Posted: August 8, 2007, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

"Can God influence a ball draw game more than a computerized game?" Big Grin Angel

"Is the computerized game the devil?" Evil Looking

"If the computerized game is the devil,  does RNG stand for Really Not God?"

"If you hit the Powerball tonight for $120M, would you say to yourself: 'There is a God.'  or chalk it up to Lady Luck?"

Are these questions Lottery Post enough?  Jack-in-the-Box

Coastal Georgia
          United States
          Member #2653
          October 30, 2003
          1866 Posts
          Posted: August 8, 2007, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

Anyone can quote scripture and plaster it all over the internet.  Most people who do that are looking for a lot of attention.  Some of our elected officials quote the Bible while they're ordering mass slaughter.  As long as we're quoting....in the Book of Matthew it is written:

"When you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words."

To put this in biblical terms:

Amen sista !!!

Coastal Georgia
            United States
            Member #2653
            October 30, 2003
            1866 Posts
            Posted: August 8, 2007, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

Because this is Lotterypost - not Biblepost. 

Why don't u put your mission in your blog.

Another thing that just occured to me-

The last time we had a thread like this one that tangented off on religion it went on for days and we lost Chewie.

Chewie was a very sharp witted individual and his opinions were spot on and peppered with humor. Lots of us long timers miss him and hope he is well.

I don't know if it was a coincidence or he just got sick of it, but Emily is correct . Bible verses belong on other message boards and that's all there is to it.

United States
              Member #51688
              April 19, 2007
              200 Posts
              Posted: August 8, 2007, 10:42 pm - IP Logged

Anyone can quote scripture and plaster it all over the internet.  Most people who do that are looking for a lot of attentioncomming  from  you  this  is  strange  since  you  qoute  more  scripture  than  anyone  on lottery- Posts  and  today  as  well ;How-ever  as  you  once told  me *- quote  it  acurtly :

matthew 6:5--7 ;

"And  when thou prayest,thou shalt not  be as  the hypocrites are:for  they  love  to pray standing in  the  synagogues and  in  the  corners of  the  streets , that they may be  seen of  men .Veril  I  say  unto you ,They  have  their reward...But  when  thou prayest ,enter into  thy closet,and  when thou hast shut thy door  pray  to  thy father  ehich  is  in secret ;and  thy Father  which seeth in secret shall  reward thee openly ;But  when  you  pray use  not vain repetitions as  the  heathen do  for  they  think they  shall  be  hears  for  their much speaking :"

United States
                Member #51688
                April 19, 2007
                200 Posts
                Posted: August 8, 2007, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

Well said emilyg.

irondoor827- time and place. There are plenty of Christian discussion boards- how would you like it if you were on one and someone started peppering it with lotto posts?

God doesn't care about the outcome of a lottery drawing* or a sporting event - unless of course it's Notre Dame football -

Wink

especially if they're playing BYU or SMU  

* well He may influence it! 

coin toss  ...this  post  asked  the  question  do  you  pray  before  you  buy  the  lotto ???

now  what  other  post  in  your   comment  are  you  talking  about  ???  There are plenty of Christian discussion boards- how would you like it if you were on one and someone started peppering it with lotto posts......sounds  like  to  me  thats  exactly  what  you  and  the  others  are  doing  to  this  post  peppering it  up  with  lottery posts:@ 

United States
                  Member #14
                  November 9, 2001
                  31358 Posts
                  Posted: August 9, 2007, 12:11 am - IP Logged

Another thing that just occured to me-

The last time we had a thread like this one that tangented off on religion it went on for days and we lost Chewie.

Chewie was a very sharp witted individual and his opinions were spot on and peppered with humor. Lots of us long timers miss him and hope he is well.

I don't know if it was a coincidence or he just got sick of it, but Emily is correct . Bible verses belong on other message boards and that's all there is to it.

I miss Chewie.

United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10353 Posts
                    Posted: August 9, 2007, 12:13 am - IP Logged

irondoor827

What you're doing is considered spamming.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
                      Member #24380
                      October 21, 2005
                      623 Posts
                      Posted: August 9, 2007, 1:18 am - IP Logged

Iron Door writes:  Please  don't  go  MYSTICAL  since  that  would  involve  DEVIL  SPIRITS  ...AND  WE  DON'T  NEED  THAT....BESIDES  PRAYER  I   THINK  MEANS  - PETITION

Mystical - this is a forum on LP, which is what I was talking about, and I don't believe discussing spiritual awakenings involves the Devil. Miracles are described all through the Bible. 

Petition - Jim Morrison said "You cannot petition the Lord with prayer."  I agree with that statement if it's bargaining, demanding or making a deal, i.e., "I'll stop stealing if you let me win the lottery." 

As far as whether or not particular religions/churches or groups accept gambling is a different question than if it's stated in the Bible.  The Salvation Army refused a donation from a local lottery winner, yet churches & synagogues have Bingo and Raffles all the time. 

To me, we each have a private relationship with our Higher Power, Maker or whatever word you wish to choose for the Creator of the Universe.  It is not up to another to pass judgment on any one of us unless he or she commits a crime or threatens our families. 

Also, I can take many verses from the Bible that say to do or not to do something.  There are churches on every corner that practice something just a little different from the one across the road.  We were given Free Will to decide what is in our hearts and a conscience to correct us if we do wrong.  Most people I know who have a love for G-d and believe in His goodness and power use prayer to praise Him and thank Him and ask for guidance.  If you really believe G-d is omnipotent and omnipresent, then He already knows someone is sick or poor, right?  So why do we have to remind Him that he missed somebody?

On a personal note, I've been trying to recite a Mourner's Prayer for my Dad, but I don't know Hebrew, so I asked my sister to go to the synagogue to say Kaddish for my father, since there are no sons in the family. She studied in Israel, knows the traditions, and is also the oldest. That would be very important to him.  There is an English translation, and the words are full of praise for G-d.  That's all it says.  The prayer doesn't ask God to do anything. It doesn't talk about the deceased. The answer I was given is that, if you really believe our parents, children, friends are sent to us by G-d, then why won't we celebrate when that same person is taken away to go home again? When I was struggling with this prayer, I decided to recite the 23rd Psalm instead.  I know I'm not saying the right words or in the right setting, but if you believe G-d is everywhere, then He will hear me. 

This made me think of something else. My Dad had a nice funeral in a chapel with a limousine. The chapel was filled with his friends.  But what if he was too poor for a "proper" funeral?  What if he were homeless and died alone? Would it make a difference to G-d?  Since we've been children, we've all heard "ashes to ashes," yet while we are living we forget that we will all end up as dust to dust.  Yes, I want to win a jackpot, have a lot of money and live comfortably. I won't apologize for that desire. But how we live is much more important.

"Better is a dish of vegetables where love is than a fattened ox served with hatred." Proverbs

I Agree!Well written and said, especially "Better is a dish of vegetables where love is than a fattened ox served with hatred!  AMEN!I Agree!

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
                        Member #24380
                        October 21, 2005
                        623 Posts
                        Posted: August 9, 2007, 1:20 am - IP Logged

Maybe we first need to define the word "prayer" since some of us think it's asking for something.  I've been told prayer is listening.  Some believe we should pray for each other and world peace. Others believe the process of praying is praising the Lord for everything He has already done for us and all He has created. 

Maybe this topic belongs in Mystical, and I'm not sure we should get into a religious discussion on LP(although we often do) but it's hard to say if we do something or not when the act itself has yet to be defined.  I am changing my previous answer to "No" since I do wish for a win, but I won't call it prayer.

Prayer is conversation.

United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10353 Posts
                          Posted: August 9, 2007, 2:44 am - IP Logged

Prayer is conversation.

I've heard this (sounds good to me!):

When we pray we are trying to talk to God.

When you have a gut hunch about something, that is God talking to you!

Lep

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                            Tennessee
                            United States
                            Member #7853
                            October 15, 2004
                            11338 Posts
                            Posted: August 9, 2007, 3:47 am - IP Logged

i miss 'ol chewie too.

United States
                              Member #14
                              November 9, 2001
                              31358 Posts
                              Posted: August 9, 2007, 1:13 pm - IP Logged

i miss 'ol chewie too.

and Zippy and Fido      wonder what happened to them?