Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 6:48 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lp Members Will Automatically Share w/each other!

Topic closed. 85 replies. Last post 8 years ago by mylollipop.

Page 6 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

If you won a large jackpot, would you feel obligated to share w/LP Members?

No [ 69 ]  [58.47%]
Yes, if I used a system of that member(s) [ 14 ]  [11.86%]
Yes, only if I won $100 mil or more [ 3 ]  [2.54%]
Yes, at least a token $20 bill to all LP Members [ 1 ]  [0.85%]
Yes, but w/LP Members I know only. Then $X.00 [ 2 ]  [1.69%]
If and only if LP Member(s) are in a pool together [ 5 ]  [4.24%]
Obligated, No, and would not share a cent! [ 9 ]  [7.63%]
Obligated, yes, but would not share. [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
By the time I made up my mind, the money'd be gone [ 6 ]  [5.08%]
Hmmmmnnnnn??????? [ 9 ]  [7.63%]
Total Valid Votes [ 118 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  
mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
Member #24380
October 21, 2005
623 Posts
Posted: July 6, 2008, 6:32 am - IP Logged

[x] No, but I'd buy the site and start banning people who started ridonk threads.

You would have a solo ridonk site.  Your own personal web page would be more apropos.Jester Laugh

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7325 Posts
    Posted: July 6, 2008, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

I run a pool at work and fortunately, I've found a way around the issue of my tickets vs the pool's.  I collect from the members every payday and buy multidraw tickets that cover the next 4 drawings.  I make photocopies of the tickets and give them to all the members so they know exactly what tickets their money bought.

I buy single draw tickets for myself, often at a different store, so there's no confusion.

I talking about a player suggesting a partnership by telling many other players that he would give them a share of his winnings if he won. To him it didn't matter if the other players agreed, because since he said that he would share, he expected them to share with him. He never won so we'll never know if he would have kept his end of the bargain; it was con, a way for him to get a share of a jackpot and maybe without ever buying a ticket.

The pool I was in was a game that used the lotto numbers with 30 players where part the game jackpot was used to buy extra tickets when the lotto jackpot was high. We got a list of the tickets and the names of all the players in the pool and had to pay to be in the pool. As a player, I never heard all the conversation between the person running the pool and the other players. It's possible that someone could have been left out of the pool, none of us knew why and they could have sued and won their share had we hit a jackpot.

"I buy single draw tickets for myself, often at a different store, so there's no confusion."

When 10 people decide to pool $100 when the jackpot is high there is no legal problem because it's a one time partnership and their is no history. When you run a continual pool you have a history of agreeing to share with other players. It doesn't matter where you buy your own tickets, a judge could still be convinced a player had a verbal agreement with you and should be awarded his share of your prize.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: July 6, 2008, 4:43 pm - IP Logged

Remember the movie Pay It Forward ?  Makes you want to say " Hmmmm".

"Pay it forward" is a good way to live.   It was a movie based on a novel and a foundation established to encourage students to help their neighbors and to teach them about taking on personal responsiblity & contributing to their community.  To me, it doesn't have anything to do with splitting your winnings with hundreds of strangers on the internet. 

Baton Rouge, LA
        United States
        Member #4602
        May 7, 2004
        699 Posts
        Posted: July 12, 2008, 11:31 am - IP Logged

I talking about a player suggesting a partnership by telling many other players that he would give them a share of his winnings if he won. To him it didn't matter if the other players agreed, because since he said that he would share, he expected them to share with him. He never won so we'll never know if he would have kept his end of the bargain; it was con, a way for him to get a share of a jackpot and maybe without ever buying a ticket.

The pool I was in was a game that used the lotto numbers with 30 players where part the game jackpot was used to buy extra tickets when the lotto jackpot was high. We got a list of the tickets and the names of all the players in the pool and had to pay to be in the pool. As a player, I never heard all the conversation between the person running the pool and the other players. It's possible that someone could have been left out of the pool, none of us knew why and they could have sued and won their share had we hit a jackpot.

"I buy single draw tickets for myself, often at a different store, so there's no confusion."

When 10 people decide to pool $100 when the jackpot is high there is no legal problem because it's a one time partnership and their is no history. When you run a continual pool you have a history of agreeing to share with other players. It doesn't matter where you buy your own tickets, a judge could still be convinced a player had a verbal agreement with you and should be awarded his share of your prize.

I see where you are coming from.  Sometimes on payday, a member of the pool may be absent from work.  Since the pool has a history and regular members, and I know them well, I will cover them and they will pay me back when I get back to work.  There are only 9 of us in it and it's only $4/person, so it's not too much of a hardship on me to cover them.

Sometimes when the Powerball gets high, another coworker will run a pool and I'll participate.  She gives everyone a copy of all the tickets too so we know what we are buying.

It sounds to me like your coworker was trying to run a con too.  I would never agree to such a thing.  My pool got started when a coworker and I joked about sharing winnings, so we started pooling our lottery money and buying tickets together, and it grew from there.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19831 Posts
          Posted: July 12, 2008, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

Before I retired, I had co-workers say the same thing to me but I always took it as a joke if we weren't in a lottery pool together and didn't associate or socialize outside of work and I would let them know it.  No one could seriously think someone who didn't know them socially or as family would feel any obligation to share their money with them unless they were on drugs or mentally handicapped.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7325 Posts
            Posted: July 13, 2008, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

I see where you are coming from.  Sometimes on payday, a member of the pool may be absent from work.  Since the pool has a history and regular members, and I know them well, I will cover them and they will pay me back when I get back to work.  There are only 9 of us in it and it's only $4/person, so it's not too much of a hardship on me to cover them.

Sometimes when the Powerball gets high, another coworker will run a pool and I'll participate.  She gives everyone a copy of all the tickets too so we know what we are buying.

It sounds to me like your coworker was trying to run a con too.  I would never agree to such a thing.  My pool got started when a coworker and I joked about sharing winnings, so we started pooling our lottery money and buying tickets together, and it grew from there.

The "I'll share with you" guy wasn't in the pool and neither were the two jackpot winners that he said owed him a share. I assumed he meant his share should be around $10,000, but we had a large workforce with many lottery players. If everybody thought like him, a jackpot winner would be handing out money to people that said hi to them 15 years ago.

It's sort of like the idea of this thread that LP members will automatically share. I believe the wealth is being shared everyday and if somebody happens to benefit by winning a jackpot, there isn't any obligation and shouldn't be any to share.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
              Member #4877
              May 30, 2004
              5124 Posts
              Posted: July 14, 2008, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

I worked with a guy who would tell everybody when the Lotto was high that he would share with them if he won the jackpot. It sounded like a nice gesture until two other employees split a $20 million jackpot. That was over 10 years ago and he still says they "cheated him" out of his share. He never won a jackpot so we'll never know if he would share, but that wasn't his intentions; his nice gesture was meant to form an unwanted partnership with everybody he knew that bought Lotto tickets.

People that play in pools never think about it because they never hit a jackpot, but I'll bet most of them buy their own tickets too. There might be an unwritten contract in the minds of the other players they should share. Many lawsuits have been filed when the person running the pool hit the jackpot with his own tickets and a judge had to decide if those tickets actually belonged to him or the pool.

When I read threads on LP asking who we would share with, I think it's more to create good vibes. But before I start sounding like a cynic, there are many people LP that have shared in private ideas and gifts with me. So of course I'll remember them.

PartyPartyMail For YouLurking  Party

Yes D Best doz post on D POST

LOL

PSYKOMO

United States
                Member #62164
                June 19, 2008
                1217 Posts
                Posted: July 14, 2008, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

PartyPartyMail For YouLurking  Party

Yes D Best doz post on D POST

LOL

PSYKOMO

What country are you from exactly?

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
                  Clarksville
                  United States
                  Member #487
                  July 15, 2002
                  17638 Posts
                  Posted: July 16, 2008, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

No..not sharing..don't see the point in it.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

United States
                    Member #24380
                    October 21, 2005
                    623 Posts
                    Posted: July 26, 2008, 11:58 pm - IP Logged

In my opinion, I wouldn't be obligated to share with anyone if I bought a ticket myself.  However, if I were in a pool with LP members or anyone else for that matter, of course I'd have to share with all the pool members. 

I run a lottery pool with my coworkers and if we win, we all have to share.  For the tickets I buy on my own, I don't have to share with anyone.

Just my opinion.

Well stated opinion Prisoner Six! I Agree!

United States
                      Member #24380
                      October 21, 2005
                      623 Posts
                      Posted: July 27, 2008, 12:03 am - IP Logged

I was looking for the 'HELL TO THE NO, BOBBY BROWN' option .. wasn't given .. in any case, i'm more curious with the individuals that claim that they would share with us [?] if they won.  seriously? like, most of us have never and will never meet and yet you would still give out money or feel obligated to? really? like dude, seriously, you don't owe anyone on this site a red penny - so for it to be even entertained .. someone pull those people seperately and start another poll ... ? .. I don't know, something about if they took their meds today! it's not even something that entered my mind - to share with my many family members and friends .. and to add all you guys!? how many members are there even on LP? i still can't wrap my brain around the idea of sharing my lotto money with any of you [then again, i'm not the sweetest cookie in the jar] but still .. maybe throw a party for LP members, one time dinner 6-9 be there or be square type of deal - but that about it ..

No NoDead

This was funny; it made me laugh?  I don't know, something about if they took their meds today! it's not even something that entered my mind - to share with my many family members and friends .. and to add all you guys!? how many members are there even on LP? i still can't wrap my brain around the idea of sharing my lotto money with any of you [then again, i'm not the sweetest cookie in the jar] but still ...ROFL