Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

POLL: Time travel

Topic closed. 50 replies. Last post 8 years ago by savagegoose.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Which would be your first preference?

Lotto (be caeful!) [ 13 ]  [32.50%]
Kwnoing all the Kentucky Derby Winners [ 2 ]  [5.00%]
Knowing all the World Series winners [ 1 ]  [2.50%]
Knowing all the Super Bowl winners (careful again) [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Knowing which stocks to buy [ 15 ]  [37.50%]
Knowing where to buy land [ 5 ]  [12.50%]
Other [ 4 ]  [10.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 40 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10353 Posts
Posted: August 19, 2008, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

Let's say time travel is perfected and yuo can go back 50 or 100 years.

Which would be your first preference.

Hint: Be careful with lotto - I think justxploring will get this one, but am pretty sure some here will miss it.

What would you do with foreknowledge of upcoming events? Or could you really do anything?

Remember the Twilight Zone when the guy went back and tried to stop the Kennedy assassination?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
    Connecticut
    United States
    Member #61623
    May 29, 2008
    20581 Posts
    Posted: August 19, 2008, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

I went with knowing what stocks to buy...Btw has the lotto been around for at least 50 years?..I mean state running ones anyhow

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
      Dump Water Florida
      United States
      Member #380
      June 5, 2002
      3104 Posts
      Posted: August 19, 2008, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

Let's say time travel is perfected and yuo can go back 50 or 100 years.

Which would be your first preference.

Hint: Be careful with lotto - I think justxploring will get this one, but am pretty sure some here will miss it.

What would you do with foreknowledge of upcoming events? Or could you really do anything?

Remember the Twilight Zone when the guy went back and tried to stop the Kennedy assassination?

Well lotto precludes the need to amass a small fortune to make a big fortune with.  Knowing what stock or land to buy is nice, if you can afford to buy it. 

I would try to buy some land in Las Vegas for a dollar an acre.

Some events are locked into history, are pivot points that cannot be changed, but others might be more fluid allowing for a different winner with minimal changes to the time stream.

I've always liked the idea of investing money to create a fund for when time travel is possible, to have them come back and get you.  Especially if you have a medical condition they can't fix now.

BobP

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: August 19, 2008, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for your confidence in me, Coin Toss, but I have to admit I'd choose the Lottery.  Nobody needs $314 million and, if I could pick a date, it would be Christmas 2002!  Jack's life wouldn't be any more miserable if he only won $157 million.

BobP just reminded me of a Twilight Zone where I man somehow ends up in the future.  He gets some penicillin and goes back to save his son who becomes a doctor.   It would be nice to take the polio vaccine back to the 1950s or the flu shot back to 1918, but you're right.  It would change the course of everything in the world.  If we stopped disease, war and hunger, there's be no room on Earth for everyone!  You'd also save both good & evil people.  So maybe someone who lives because you go back in time ends up to be a serial killer.

United States
          Member #17555
          June 22, 2005
          5582 Posts
          Posted: August 19, 2008, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

You would cause irrecovable damage to space and time fabric continuum, thus changing the vortex within curvatures of planes of existence, therefore matter would cease to exist in the entirety of the universe.

Not a good idea.

I chose the last week's pea knuckle game prediction. But that miniscule and seemingly irrevelent event will cause a rift in time thru small changes affecting the next event and so on......

The butterfly effect.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10353 Posts
            Posted: August 19, 2008, 6:59 pm - IP Logged

I went with knowing what stocks to buy...Btw has the lotto been around for at least 50 years?..I mean state running ones anyhow

Bingo!

In 1964, New Hampshire created a state lottery, the first legalAmerican lottery in this century. Within several years, New Hampshirewas followed by New York and New Jersey. In 1971, nationwide lotterysales surpassed $100 million for the first time.

From mondobet, the History of lotteries.

(Justxploring, I thought you would have got it because of NH)

So, if you have a time machines, and are all set to go back and hit lotteries left and right, but you get to a time when there were no lotteries....

Bang Head

As for the baseball and football and Kentucky derby- you'd be betting with illegal bookies and would have to purposely lose some bets for "health reasons".

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
              Member #17555
              June 22, 2005
              5582 Posts
              Posted: August 19, 2008, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

Bingo!

In 1964, New Hampshire created a state lottery, the first legalAmerican lottery in this century. Within several years, New Hampshirewas followed by New York and New Jersey. In 1971, nationwide lotterysales surpassed $100 million for the first time.

From mondobet, the History of lotteries.

(Justxploring, I thought you would have got it because of NH)

So, if you have a time machines, and are all set to go back and hit lotteries left and right, but you get to a time when there were no lotteries....

Bang Head

As for the baseball and football and Kentucky derby- you'd be betting with illegal bookies and would have to purposely lose some bets for "health reasons".

Bang Head

But if I had a time machine, I'd make sure I'd adjust the settings to go back only in time when there were lotto drawings.

Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: August 19, 2008, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

I wrote about the butterfly effect in an earlier comment today, but I'm not so sure splitting a jackpot with someone would hurt anything!  LOL   I didn't say I wanted to win the whole thing!  LOL

However, let's say last night I hit Fantasy 5 in Florida.  Nobody won so there was another rolldown and over 276 people got 4 out of 5 and won $823.   Let's say that money was the only thing that got a family through the month or paid for a doctor's visit where a test found a lump just in time.  So then I would be changing someone's life by taking something that wasn't meant to be mine.

Still, as deeply philosophical as I'd like to sound, I'm only human.  So I admit that if I was able to move only a few hours into the future & knew the winning numbers last Wed night when the Florida Lotto was $30 million, I would have played $3 and won $35 million (split $30 million with 2 others, plus $25M bonus)  Those other 2 players who won would have still gotten $10 million each, right?  So if they won $10 million instead of $15 million, it wouldn't be such a big deal IMO.

United States
                  Member #17555
                  June 22, 2005
                  5582 Posts
                  Posted: August 19, 2008, 7:10 pm - IP Logged

At Justx 

I don't know about that.

If you went back and split the JP with Jack, you could have easily came back to Bonita temporarily to help an ailing neighbor live longer by helping them with health care, and in turn, thus possibly having more kids, and one of the kids could grow up to be another Hitler or Bill gates !...lol

Butterfly effect.

BTW....I didn't see your earlier post about the butterfly effect, and secondly, I didn't see your first reply to this post, because I was apparently writing my reply nearly the same time you were writing yours...lol That's why my reply was after yours.

United States
                    Member #17555
                    June 22, 2005
                    5582 Posts
                    Posted: August 19, 2008, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

Justx...now they're saying the storm is strengthening over land....HMMMM.....and might return across the state and enter the gulf....LOL

Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4461 Posts
                      Posted: August 19, 2008, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

United States
                        Member #17555
                        June 22, 2005
                        5582 Posts
                        Posted: August 19, 2008, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

Now that's weird....lol

BTW..How do you get to make the page scroll down to the exact reply? In other words, I know how to copy and paste a link, but was always intrigued as to how someone enabled the link to a specific reply (like the one with yours about the butterfly) in a page?....

Thanx...

DC81's avatar - batman39
                          MI
                          United States
                          Member #54830
                          August 31, 2007
                          985 Posts
                          Posted: August 19, 2008, 8:44 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for your confidence in me, Coin Toss, but I have to admit I'd choose the Lottery.  Nobody needs $314 million and, if I could pick a date, it would be Christmas 2002!  Jack's life wouldn't be any more miserable if he only won $157 million.

BobP just reminded me of a Twilight Zone where I man somehow ends up in the future.  He gets some penicillin and goes back to save his son who becomes a doctor.   It would be nice to take the polio vaccine back to the 1950s or the flu shot back to 1918, but you're right.  It would change the course of everything in the world.  If we stopped disease, war and hunger, there's be no room on Earth for everyone!  You'd also save both good & evil people.  So maybe someone who lives because you go back in time ends up to be a serial killer.

I'd say you'd be doing him more of a favor if instead of using the numbers for that drawing you back to the drawing before and used those winning numbers so he wouldn't win. He's on the record saying he wishes he never won so why not? He still might win a jackpot but it'll be the initial prize instead and no one will care. I'd do the same thing for David Edwards and the other people who won Powerball seven years ago. Whatever happened to the other winners anyway? O_o

Also, the first polio vaccine was created in 1952, might be better to take it to the 40s or earlier, I doubt the modern flu shot would help at all since there are so many strains of the illness and the shot only protects against a few of them and is changed every year. It probably wouldn't have much of an effect. Changing major events in history or even just preventing someone's death could have a significantly larger effect on the present (as you sort of mentioned) that could turn out to be even worse. You might cease to exist and that would either cause a messy paradox or who knows, might just make a alternate reality.

If it had to be that far back I'd certainly buy up stock and land that I know will be in huge demand. You wouldn't even need to buy a huge amount of shares, even just a thousand could potentially turn many, many times more than that in 50-100 years time due to the stock splitting. If only my grandfather wouldn't have been a fool with no foresight over 50 years ago, up until the end of the 70s when he worked for Dow and they were giving employees discounted stock options..Bang Head As for land, that too would have obvious advantages only problem is that how someone who wasn't alive back then, you an infant would have possession of property dating back that long I dunno if claiming to have inherited it would work. Other issue that might come up is the state reviewing properties and everything with no one to contact which could end with the state taking ownership of it.

Fortunately and unfortunately, time travel for anything living or mechanical isn't likely to become a reality in our, our children, grand children, great grandchildren and so on.

You can't predict random.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                            Marquette, MI
                            United States
                            Member #20541
                            August 20, 2005
                            705 Posts
                            Posted: August 19, 2008, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

Thyme travel should also be Sage travel too.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                              Indiana
                              United States
                              Member #48725
                              January 7, 2007
                              1954 Posts
                              Posted: August 19, 2008, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

I would prefer going forward and bringing back lottery numbers. I'd be kinda worried about going back in time and buying myself a winning ticket.

Gonna win.Big Smile