Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:22 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

POLL: Time travel

Topic closed. 50 replies. Last post 8 years ago by savagegoose.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Which would be your first preference?

Lotto (be caeful!) [ 13 ]  [32.50%]
Kwnoing all the Kentucky Derby Winners [ 2 ]  [5.00%]
Knowing all the World Series winners [ 1 ]  [2.50%]
Knowing all the Super Bowl winners (careful again) [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Knowing which stocks to buy [ 15 ]  [37.50%]
Knowing where to buy land [ 5 ]  [12.50%]
Other [ 4 ]  [10.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 40 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10351 Posts
Posted: August 19, 2008, 11:25 pm - IP Logged

Art Bell of talk radio thinks that people who hit huge jackpots or are extremely good investors are time travelers!

Scared

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
    Member #41383
    June 16, 2006
    1969 Posts
    Posted: August 20, 2008, 12:43 am - IP Logged

Let's say time travel is perfected and yuo can go back 50 or 100 years.

Which would be your first preference.

Hint: Be careful with lotto - I think justxploring will get this one, but am pretty sure some here will miss it.

What would you do with foreknowledge of upcoming events? Or could you really do anything?

Remember the Twilight Zone when the guy went back and tried to stop the Kennedy assassination?

By reading just the poll questions, I really don't know what there is 'to get' ???

If I had my druthers, I'd pick the Lottery or the Derby, because all the others I pretty much know:

I've predicted most Super Bowl winners, most World Series winners, I do well in the stock market, and I know where to buy land, after doing some research.

To qualify that, I cannot tell you today who will win the Series or the Super Bowl, but I can tell you a few days before the games/game.

With the Derby you don't always have to make book with the same 'agents'..

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
      Tennessee
      United States
      Member #7853
      October 15, 2004
      11338 Posts
      Posted: August 20, 2008, 2:57 am - IP Logged

stocks

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
        Member #13130
        March 30, 2005
        2171 Posts
        Posted: August 20, 2008, 3:40 am - IP Logged

Let's say time travel is perfected and yuo can go back 50 or 100 years.

Which would be your first preference.

Hint: Be careful with lotto - I think justxploring will get this one, but am pretty sure some here will miss it.

What would you do with foreknowledge of upcoming events? Or could you really do anything?

Remember the Twilight Zone when the guy went back and tried to stop the Kennedy assassination?

If 50 and 100 are the only choices, then 50yrs & stocks.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
        Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: August 20, 2008, 3:48 am - IP Logged

Oh, I didn't notice that.  I definitely agree with time*treat.   

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
            Harbinger
            D.C./MD.
            United States
            Member #44103
            July 30, 2006
            5583 Posts
            Posted: August 20, 2008, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

I'll take the quick pick, I'd go back and off the inventor of the quick pick.  Alright wise guys which lottery was the first to get the quick pick? In any form? 

Microsoft 1985 $1000 of stock would be over $3M last year, I sold it way too soon.  I worked wih concurrent DOS ouch!

One2Adore's avatar - butterfly2
              Maryland
              United States
              Member #50566
              March 8, 2007
              88 Posts
              Posted: August 20, 2008, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

Google stocks all the way, baby!!   That would be like winning the lottery in itself.  That's assuming 50 and 100 years aren't my only choices of how far to go back.

Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                Member #9517
                December 10, 2004
                1272 Posts
                Posted: August 20, 2008, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

If there's any point in time travel it must be to go forward in time. Can't make much money out of lottery draws which has happened.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                  A long and winding road
                  United States
                  Member #17084
                  June 10, 2005
                  4526 Posts
                  Posted: August 20, 2008, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

Sorry but I disagree to the butterfly theory. First off, An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. SO to PREVENT an event ( World Trade Center ) or the Holocaust is a HUGE positive. Sometimes a small ripple can create the greatest of rewards. So explain to the small children who lost parents/ relatives at the world trade center that gosh IF you were given the ability to change that event, you wouldnt because it would affect so many others. As if their family or loved one doesnt count in the scheme of it all.

I chose Lottery, because its a risk that I would prefer to be a given :)

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10351 Posts
                    Posted: August 20, 2008, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

If there's any point in time travel it must be to go forward in time. Can't make much money out of lottery draws which has happened.

Tough one. Assuming there is time travel for the sake of discussion, if you go forward, despite having the technology to do so, you are still going to an unknown. Let's say you opt to go to, oh, 2020, but there is no 2020 because we never got past 2012! Then what?

If you go backward, you are going back in time with knowledge of what is going to happen. Whether you could really do anything with suck knowledge is up for debate (some Twilight Zones come to mind, Serling was a genius and loved this topic), and even if you could, what would be the consequences?

Let's say you could go back and prevent Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Well, there was actually an invasion planned, if need be, that would have been a much more immense bloodbath for both sides than dropping the A-bombs were.

The GameGrl

Good stuff, but considering the above, your post made me think of the Wishmaster movies.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

JordanT1021's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                      North Carolina
                      United States
                      Member #53121
                      June 24, 2007
                      6499 Posts
                      Posted: August 20, 2008, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

Stocks all the way...

berkshire hathway all the way...

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                        Member #13130
                        March 30, 2005
                        2171 Posts
                        Posted: August 20, 2008, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

Tough one. Assuming there is time travel for the sake of discussion, if you go forward, despite having the technology to do so, you are still going to an unknown. Let's say you opt to go to, oh, 2020, but there is no 2020 because we never got past 2012! Then what?

If you go backward, you are going back in time with knowledge of what is going to happen. Whether you could really do anything with suck knowledge is up for debate (some Twilight Zones come to mind, Serling was a genius and loved this topic), and even if you could, what would be the consequences?

Let's say you could go back and prevent Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Well, there was actually an invasion planned, if need be, that would have been a much more immense bloodbath for both sides than dropping the A-bombs were.

The GameGrl

Good stuff, but considering the above, your post made me think of the Wishmaster movies.

Does this time machine come with magical powers, too? How would one have prevented planned military operations? There are a few of those going on right now; no time machine required. Hop to it.

As far as other "events", if they were unpleasant, history shows it's best to keep it to yourself as you're going to be ignored at best, and accused at worst. In between are the possibilities of ridicule and/or job loss. You may get credit after the fact, but the "event" will still have taken place. Most people operate under the stop-light syndrome.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                        Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: August 20, 2008, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

Sorry but I disagree to the butterfly theory. First off, An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. SO to PREVENT an event ( World Trade Center ) or the Holocaust is a HUGE positive. Sometimes a small ripple can create the greatest of rewards. So explain to the small children who lost parents/ relatives at the world trade center that gosh IF you were given the ability to change that event, you wouldnt because it would affect so many others. As if their family or loved one doesnt count in the scheme of it all.

I chose Lottery, because its a risk that I would prefer to be a given :)

I understand what you are expressing here, but we can't play God.  If we went back in time to stop a disaster, that's exactly what we would be doing.  If during the course of our lives we prevent a death because we take action, i.e., running into a burning building to save a child or rescuing people from a car that was about to explode, then it wouldn't be the same as taking on superhuman powers.  Everyday there is death & destruction, and as humans we need to do the best we can to change the world.  However, to go back to change events that already happened would be too subjective.  Fortunately, I don't believe time travel is possible so I'll never need to make that decision! Believe me, I wish I could turn back time & stop all the horrific crimes that have been committed.  I'd probably first go back and save Jessica Lunsford. 

rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
                            mn
                            United States
                            Member #59040
                            March 4, 2008
                            276 Posts
                            Posted: August 20, 2008, 9:59 pm - IP Logged

I chose lotto even though I didn't notice the 50-100 year plotline.

I read a little about time travel and noticed that you guys are in somewhat of a heated discussion so let me ask you a question (this question is why many scientists, theorists say time travel isn't possible)

This question was proposed by Rene Barjavel in 1943 and it is called the grandfather paradox:

The situation is this: One travels to the past and murder their grandfather. The question is this: What would happen to the traveler? 

Theorists came with up three possible answers but what do you think would happen?

You can look up the theorists answers elsewhere or you can ask me I suppose, this question is very popular to time travel enthusiasts.

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
                            "The same thing we do every night, Pinky- try to take over the world."

United States
                              Member #17555
                              June 22, 2005
                              5582 Posts
                              Posted: August 20, 2008, 11:32 pm - IP Logged

I chose lotto even though I didn't notice the 50-100 year plotline.

I read a little about time travel and noticed that you guys are in somewhat of a heated discussion so let me ask you a question (this question is why many scientists, theorists say time travel isn't possible)

This question was proposed by Rene Barjavel in 1943 and it is called the grandfather paradox:

The situation is this: One travels to the past and murder their grandfather. The question is this: What would happen to the traveler? 

Theorists came with up three possible answers but what do you think would happen?

You can look up the theorists answers elsewhere or you can ask me I suppose, this question is very popular to time travel enthusiasts.

Indeed true.

The answer would be that the grandson wouldn't exist. But travelling in the past seems unlikely. Travelling into the future holds major promise.