Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:20 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

POLL: Time travel

Topic closed. 50 replies. Last post 8 years ago by savagegoose.

Page 4 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Which would be your first preference?

Lotto (be caeful!) [ 13 ]  [32.50%]
Kwnoing all the Kentucky Derby Winners [ 2 ]  [5.00%]
Knowing all the World Series winners [ 1 ]  [2.50%]
Knowing all the Super Bowl winners (careful again) [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Knowing which stocks to buy [ 15 ]  [37.50%]
Knowing where to buy land [ 5 ]  [12.50%]
Other [ 4 ]  [10.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 40 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
Member #13130
March 30, 2005
2171 Posts
Posted: August 21, 2008, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

I think you all are going about winning a lottery jackpot the wrong way.

Inventing a time machine to travel forward or back in time for lottery results is a lot harder than just trying to come up a formula that can pick 15-20 numbers that will cover the outcome of a lottery 30% of the time which would reduce your odds of winning a jackpot to less than 1:40,000/ 30% of the time.   

Not to worry. We're not pricing 'flux capacitors' just yet. LOL

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10347 Posts
    Posted: August 22, 2008, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

(Just got a message I was asked to relay, here it is):

Some of you folks are getting really close to the truth

Sincerely,

John Titor

"2036"

PS

Go ahead and do a search for me on the net and see what turns up!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
      Member #63537
      August 1, 2008
      39 Posts
      Posted: August 27, 2008, 1:48 am - IP Logged

Bingo!

In 1964, New Hampshire created a state lottery, the first legalAmerican lottery in this century. Within several years, New Hampshirewas followed by New York and New Jersey. In 1971, nationwide lotterysales surpassed $100 million for the first time.

From mondobet, the History of lotteries.

(Justxploring, I thought you would have got it because of NH)

So, if you have a time machines, and are all set to go back and hit lotteries left and right, but you get to a time when there were no lotteries....

Bang Head

As for the baseball and football and Kentucky derby- you'd be betting with illegal bookies and would have to purposely lose some bets for "health reasons".

Hmmm...

Can't recall where I read it, but wasn't the Revolutionary War funded in-part by Lotto/Lottery? I think the scriptos have old coupons up for sale, occasionally. Dunno if it was legal or not... perhaps not from the British POV.

Ah, notions of time travel and vicarious opportunity to run fun with altruism, or personal gain.

It's not without ambiguity that we're ready to fight to the end for one cause or another, then tomorrow new information unexpectedly intrudes like a stranger at dawn, altering that what consumed passions the day before: certainty one day, not so sure the next. A privilege it is - too be sure - to imagine this and that. 

Just when one of life's temporary places is learned and understood, new information or plain old mundane physiological gravity demands a new attitude. Curses be on fickle perceptions. 

I vote, "Other." 

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
        Member #4121
        March 23, 2004
        817 Posts
        Posted: August 28, 2008, 4:19 pm - IP Logged

I choose land and stocks.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
          Member #41383
          June 16, 2006
          1969 Posts
          Posted: August 29, 2008, 12:13 am - IP Logged

I'll take the quick pick, I'd go back and off the inventor of the quick pick.  Alright wise guys which lottery was the first to get the quick pick? In any form? 

Microsoft 1985 $1000 of stock would be over $3M last year, I sold it way too soon.  I worked wih concurrent DOS ouch!

Ummm.... M$ went public in 1986.

Like you - I sold too soon.

Folks gotta remember - back then, when you buy a stock at 21, and it goes to 27, it's time to SELL.

Who knew ?

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
            adelaide sa
            Australia
            Member #37136
            April 11, 2006
            3300 Posts
            Posted: August 29, 2008, 2:49 am - IP Logged

i once bought shares at 19c ea, then sold at 26c ea. only to see em at $1.08 a year later. i had $20k on those suckers. so if i went back in time id only have to leave a note to myself, " hold NMS for another 9 months. going to $1 " lol

maybe we need a temporal messenger.  so we can at least email  notes to ourselves in the past, what the hey i would  prob filter em all as spam anyhow.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297