Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 5:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

POLL: Time travel

Topic closed. 50 replies. Last post 8 years ago by savagegoose.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Which would be your first preference?

Lotto (be caeful!) [ 13 ]  [32.50%]
Kwnoing all the Kentucky Derby Winners [ 2 ]  [5.00%]
Knowing all the World Series winners [ 1 ]  [2.50%]
Knowing all the Super Bowl winners (careful again) [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Knowing which stocks to buy [ 15 ]  [37.50%]
Knowing where to buy land [ 5 ]  [12.50%]
Other [ 4 ]  [10.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 40 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  

United States
Member #17555
June 22, 2005
5582 Posts
Posted: August 21, 2008, 12:08 am - IP Logged

Parallel universe.

In and out of existence. Phasing in and out of realms. Tasting lucid dreams. And so on......

Misty water colored memories, like the way we were.....

Scattered pictures.....

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8394 Posts
    Posted: August 21, 2008, 12:34 am - IP Logged

I chose lotto even though I didn't notice the 50-100 year plotline.

I read a little about time travel and noticed that you guys are in somewhat of a heated discussion so let me ask you a question (this question is why many scientists, theorists say time travel isn't possible)

This question was proposed by Rene Barjavel in 1943 and it is called the grandfather paradox:

The situation is this: One travels to the past and murder their grandfather. The question is this: What would happen to the traveler? 

Theorists came with up three possible answers but what do you think would happen?

You can look up the theorists answers elsewhere or you can ask me I suppose, this question is very popular to time travel enthusiasts.

that's why i said this in pumpi76 thread if i win 200 million dollars..

Going back in time is basically science fiction. If you could go back in time you couldn't alter it in any way if you did and were lucky enough to return to the present time you most likely would have altered everything that existed... it is possible that everything that was here before you left would be gone. Your house might not be in the same place certain people that were living before you left might be dead in the present.

If you went back in time and stopped president Kennedy from being assassinated the world as you knew it before you left would be completely different when you returned. Thousands of people who were conceived after Kennedy was killed might not have been born the whole social structure might be different because you changed the time line. 5 seconds after you saved his life you might cease to exist as you were never born. 

Too many things to contemplate.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10391 Posts
      Posted: August 21, 2008, 2:22 am - IP Logged

four4me

Yeah, good points, but the concept of time travel makes for interesting discussions and movies and such.

What was the movie (maybe mid 1980s) with the modern day aircraft carrier that "time-warped" back to Pearl Harbor? Remember that one?

They captured one of the Japanese pilots and there was a Navy historian on the ship that told the pilot exactly what was happening and going to happen and he freaked out.

And at the end of the movie, one guy had decided to stay back in the WW II era, and made all the right moves and investments.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
        Dump Water Florida
        United States
        Member #380
        June 5, 2002
        3113 Posts
        Posted: August 21, 2008, 2:27 am - IP Logged

four4me

Yeah, good points, but the concept of time travel makes for interesting discussions and movies and such.

What was the movie (maybe mid 1980s) with the modern day aircraft carrier that "time-warped" back to Pearl Harbor? Remember that one?

They captured one of the Japanese pilots and there was a Navy historian on the ship that told the pilot exactly what was happening and going to happen and he freaked out.

And at the end of the movie, one guy had decided to stay back in the WW II era, and made all the right moves and investments.

That was the Philadelphia Experiment.  Oops, similar story in reverse, I know the one you're talking about, aircraft carrier in front of a big worm hole thing, arrrrgh!  The zerros were the only good part, the rest of the movie was the two jets taking off.  Soon as I can't edit any more I'll remember.  Got it, Final Countdown.

Sound of Thunder was a great movie as well as a great story.

If I could go back to the fifties, it would be to stay.  A lotto win mid sixties would be gravy.

BobP

AlecWest's avatar - alec
          Vader, Washington
          United States
          Member #29697
          January 5, 2006
          108 Posts
          Posted: August 21, 2008, 3:50 am - IP Logged

Coin Toss wrote: "Let's say time travel is perfected and yuo can go back 50 or 100 years."

Hmm ... perhaps the statement should be reworded to say, "Let's say YOU perfected time travel, that no one else had the ability, and you can go back 50 or 100 years."  Otherwise, everybody'd be going back in time and doing things that might interfere with what you're doing (and vice versa).  In any case, I don't think I'd go back in time for any reason.  I'd be too scared of mucking up the future.  I certainly wouldn't go back in time for money reasons.  Just me, I guess.

justxploring wrote: "You'd also save both good & evil people.  So maybe someone wholives because you go back in time ends up to be a serial killer."

Reminded me of an exchange I had with my mom when I was a teenager (grin).  My mom was a staunch pro-lifer and was agonizing over a newspaper article - regarding women leaving the country to have abortions.  FWIW, this shows my age (grin) since, at that time, abortions were illegal in the USA.  Anyway, my mom said to me, "Just horrible.  That baby could have grown up to be the doctor who cures cancer."  To which I unwisely replied, "Or, he could have grown up to be the next Adolf Hitler."  She said nothing back ... but gave me a bitterly cold stare (grin).

Edit.  Sheesh.  I realize that this forum is trying to halt vulgar language by "snipping" out potentially offensive words.  But, in the next paragraph, I mention a LAST NAME that includes what could be perceived as a naughty last four letters.  The NAME is M...I...C...H...A...E...L......M...O...O...R...C...O...C...K.

Of course, it's always possible that a person's time travel could be part of a larger "master plan" we can't perceive.  There was a science fiction novella written by Michael Moor<snip> years ago in which a Christian scientist with Jewish heritage perfected his own time travel device.  He spoke ancient Hebrew fluently and had always wanted to go back in time to uncover the secret of the "missing years" of Jesus.  So, he goes back as an observer only ... trying very hard not to interfere with history.  During his observations, he also notes his uncanny resemblance to Jesus.

Anyway, as he follows Jesus, he witnesses him becoming involved in an accident that leaves him a mental and physical vegetable.  However, he also knows that the problems Jesus suffers from can be "cured" in his time.  And then, it hits him.  Immediately, he takes Jesus and sends him into the future in his time machine.  The scientist himself remains behind and "becomes" Jesus, preaching his sermons, performing his "miracles," and ultimately dying on the cross.  The scientist realizes that his trip back in time was part of God's master plan for Jesus ... that it was his (the scientist's) destiny to assume the role of Jesus ... and that it was Jesus' destiny to go into the future (eg., the "second coming of Christ").

P.S.  Would Jesus go back in time to play the lotto?  What would Jesus do?Blue Angel

Regards - J. Alec West

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10391 Posts
            Posted: August 21, 2008, 10:02 am - IP Logged

Alec

Interesting story, but the scientist trying to do the Ressurection would be a snag, no?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Northern Ohio
              United States
              Member #63551
              August 1, 2008
              203 Posts
              Posted: August 21, 2008, 11:41 am - IP Logged

Consider this: if one decides to go back to late December several years ago and buy the winning Powerball jackpot (the one right before Whittaker won) it would change time. You could not reliably expect all subsequent drawings to reflect exactly what they did in our own history. Bottom line: you have one shot to go back in time and take advantage of stuff; after that a point of digression is reached and your original timeline changes. You no longer know what will happen from that point onward.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                Member #13130
                March 30, 2005
                2171 Posts
                Posted: August 21, 2008, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

I chose lotto even though I didn't notice the 50-100 year plotline.

I read a little about time travel and noticed that you guys are in somewhat of a heated discussion so let me ask you a question (this question is why many scientists, theorists say time travel isn't possible)

This question was proposed by Rene Barjavel in 1943 and it is called the grandfather paradox:

The situation is this: One travels to the past and murder their grandfather. The question is this: What would happen to the traveler? 

Theorists came with up three possible answers but what do you think would happen?

You can look up the theorists answers elsewhere or you can ask me I suppose, this question is very popular to time travel enthusiasts.

1 possibility: One of your grandmothers would then marry a different person, and you would have a 1/4th different genetic make-up. I.e., the person you murdered would then cease to have been your future grandfather. Razz

What're you doing killing people anyway? Isn't this trip about making money? Shocked

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19901 Posts
                  Posted: August 21, 2008, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

I think you all are going about winning a lottery jackpot the wrong way.

Inventing a time machine to travel forward or back in time for lottery results is a lot harder than just trying to come up a formula that can pick 15-20 numbers that will cover the outcome of a lottery 30% of the time which would reduce your odds of winning a jackpot to less than 1:40,000/ 30% of the time.   

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                    Dump Water Florida
                    United States
                    Member #380
                    June 5, 2002
                    3113 Posts
                    Posted: August 21, 2008, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

Why not just "out of body" travel a day(s) into the future and check your newspaper or the pad on your desk where you write them down, for the winning lottery numbers.  BobP

rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
                      mn
                      United States
                      Member #59040
                      March 4, 2008
                      276 Posts
                      Posted: August 21, 2008, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

AlecWest: What you are describing is the Novikov self-consistency principle, which is basically predestination, you know, what happens is what exactly should happen. Your Jesus story is a perfect example. 

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
                      "The same thing we do every night, Pinky- try to take over the world."

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7344 Posts
                        Posted: August 21, 2008, 4:55 pm - IP Logged
                        that's why i said this in pumpi76 thread if i win 200 million dollars..

Going back in time is basically science fiction. If you could go back in time you couldn't alter it in any way if you did and were lucky enough to return to the present time you most likely would have altered everything that existed... it is possible that everything that was here before you left would be gone. Your house might not be in the same place certain people that were living before you left might be dead in the present.

If you went back in time and stopped president Kennedy from being assassinated the world as you knew it before you left would be completely different when you returned. Thousands of people who were conceived after Kennedy was killed might not have been born the whole social structure might be different because you changed the time line. 5 seconds after you saved his life you might cease to exist as you were never born. 

Too many things to contemplate.

By changing past events we would create a paradox.

We have memories or knowledge of the Kennedy assassination but if went back into time and changed the outcome, the even never happened so we would have no memories or knowledge and there would be no reason to go back into time to change it.

If time travel is developed in the future and past events could be changed, everything we know to be true would constantly change. What if EzMoney really did win the Powerball jackpot but another LP member when back into time and changed the outcome?

JAP69's avatar - alas
                          South Carolina
                          United States
                          Member #6
                          November 4, 2001
                          8797 Posts
                          Posted: August 21, 2008, 5:31 pm - IP Logged

Going back in time with the knowledge you currently have you would know the outcome of an event that you have memory of.

To go forward in time you take the knowledge that you have acquired and use it to your best advantage for tomorrows decisions. We all acquire knowledge to make our lives better.

However you do not know what the outcome will be with any decision.

But you give it your best shot .

Oo'Ka

JAP69's avatar - alas
                            South Carolina
                            United States
                            Member #6
                            November 4, 2001
                            8797 Posts
                            Posted: August 21, 2008, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

Here is another dilema on going back in time with the knowledge you have to capialize on an event of any sort.

If you are the only one going back in time it may be possible. However if more than one person is able to go back in time you will still have doubt about the event you want to change or capitalize on. That other person could change the outcome of what you want to achieve.

Microsoft fortunes may not have occured if some one else used computer knowledge they take back with them to start their own computer company and out done Bill gates.

The same goes with any event that has previously occured.

This reminds me of a twilight zone saga I seen. I think it was twilight zone. Any how this oil man went back in time to purchase land that had oil on it to make a fortune. He bought the land dirt cheap not mentioning that he knew their was oil under the ground. Well after he bought it he told that their was oil under there. Well would you know the people he mentioned it too said they knew their was oil down there. But what that oil man forgot or did not know was that the equipment to get the oil out of the ground was not developed until fifty years later from when he went back in time.

Oo'Ka

rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
                              mn
                              United States
                              Member #59040
                              March 4, 2008
                              276 Posts
                              Posted: August 21, 2008, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

By changing past events we would create a paradox.

We have memories or knowledge of the Kennedy assassination but if went back into time and changed the outcome, the even never happened so we would have no memories or knowledge and there would be no reason to go back into time to change it.

If time travel is developed in the future and past events could be changed, everything we know to be true would constantly change. What if EzMoney really did win the Powerball jackpot but another LP member when back into time and changed the outcome?

EXACTLY it would create a paradox.

What you are describing is the many-worlds hypothesis. When you change something in the past and that result occurs in the future as well. In that case the MWH would occur, since you changed something and the timeline keep steady to your actions such as the Kennedy example you (self) would reside in that different world when Kennedy were still alive by your actions, so you would remember everything, and the world where Kennedy had been assasinated (where you are in now) would still be in existence its just that you wouldnt be here anymore, you would be in the parallel one.

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
                              "The same thing we do every night, Pinky- try to take over the world."