International super lottery to create jackpots of $500 million or more

Sep 12, 2008, 12:56 am (58 comments)

International

A massive, multi-country lottery with $500 million jackpots is expected to launch within four years

Camelot, operator of the United Kingdom's lottery, has been in talks with firms in 48 countries, including Australia and the US, to launch a global draw.

The plans involve a monthly game creating up to 100 millionaires plus a once-a-year super prize — likely to be on a holiday such as New Year.

They are being drawn up in response to the public's love of big-prize draws.

The National lottery launched in 1994 under the phrase 'It could be you'.  It has seen Lotto ticket sales fall by £105 million to £2.75 billion (US$4.84 billion) last year, its lowest sales in a decade.

Meanwhile Euro Millions, which operates across nine different countries, has seen its UK sales up by 10 percent to just under £500 million (US$880 million).

Euro Millions' biggest jackpot was £125 million (US$220 million) in 2006, compared to the domestic draw's top prize of £42 million (US$74 million).  However, the comparison does not take into account the fact that Euro Millions is much harder to win than the domestic UK Lotto game.

David Forrest, Professor of Economics at the Centre for the Study of Gambling at the University of Salford said, "With a lottery you are selling a dream to the public.

"If a product comes along with a bigger dream, people will switch to it."

According to the British professor, American lottery players abandon state lotto jackpot games when a multi-state game is available.

"In the US, if you offer people a multi-state game with a bigger payout, they don't bother with the local lottery."

A spokesman for Camelot said plans to develop the international lottery were going well, but added there are no plans to drop the national draw.

"'Over the last five years there has been an 8.5 percent (£391.8 million) increase in sales.

"This helped overall returns to Good Causes rise to more than £1.35 billion (US$2.38 billion), bringing the total raised by National Lottery players to over £21 billion."

The National Lottery will be contributing almost £2.2 billion (US$3.9 billion) towards the London 2012 Olympics, of which £750 million will come from specially designated lottery games.

Telegraph

Comments

Abdi's avatarAbdi

FrownIt's an excellent and a very ambitious idea-though I suggest that we could had loved to know which type of a game it will be.

Many people around the globe ,have found a more easier ways to win the lotterey-with the help of Gail Howard Books and the LP .

Those who dont win are the ones 'who play without considering certain factors as outlayed very clearly in Certain Lotto Books and the LP.

Back to the topic....I think a global draw will be a great idea.   

petergrfn

Sounds interesting.  I wonder if it's a ball drop game or computerized?  I don't envy the people who have to set up the logistics for this game.   Where to have the draw?  do you more the machine? Is payment Anuuity or a Cash Option?   Would just be insane to win that much money!

JimmySand9

I bet "Pumpi" is jumping up and down and giggling like a schoolgirl (no offense), he's wanted this for so long.

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Quote: Originally posted by JimmySand9 on Sep 12, 2008

I bet "Pumpi" is jumping up and down and giggling like a schoolgirl (no offense), he's wanted this for so long.

LOL I was thinking the same thing.

pumpi76

I don't know why don't they call it Global Lottery instead of International Lottery....Anyways i disapprove of this lottery, because i thought they were paying billions and billions of dollars as jackpot...For example i thought 1 winner was going to win 20 billion dollars for example...And that's the way it should be...

Japan has a Jumbo Draw that pays 350 million dollars (more than half of the 500 million) and that's just 1 country...So the entire world should the winner should get paid like 5 or 7 billion dollars...Why don't they have it...

Honestly when i first heard of it i thought it was 1 trillion dollars they were paying as jackpot...

Anyways this people always do the lotteries to suit themselves they do it because they are affraid of reprecursions...

This Global lottery surely can give someone 5 billion dollars as jackpot, but the people in power do not want that...They are affraid of selecting a nobody to have that much power...Is called prejudism/racism whatever you want to call it...Anyways nothing coming from England is good...

500 million the U.S can get a 500 million jackpot once or twice a year if they combined Powerball & Megamillions and join all the states remaining and charge 2 dollars per ticket...And actually it will not get to 500 million but instead it will get to 1 billion 500 million at least in the USA......So what are you telling me? that the U.S can draw bigger jackpot than the entire world combined...And this jackpot is going to cost how much? 50 dollars a ticket...So again what are you telling me...

wizeguy's avatarwizeguy

I'm undecided on this yet. They didn't provide much detail on the proposed lottery. And what's with one big draw a year? Will tickets for that draw cost more? Will they set aside money from regular draws for it?

Jimhowlett

Quote: Originally posted by pumpi76 on Sep 12, 2008

I don't know why don't they call it Global Lottery instead of International Lottery....Anyways i disapprove of this lottery, because i thought they were paying billions and billions of dollars as jackpot...For example i thought 1 winner was going to win 20 billion dollars for example...And that's the way it should be...

Japan has a Jumbo Draw that pays 350 million dollars (more than half of the 500 million) and that's just 1 country...So the entire world should the winner should get paid like 5 or 7 billion dollars...Why don't they have it...

Honestly when i first heard of it i thought it was 1 trillion dollars they were paying as jackpot...

Anyways this people always do the lotteries to suit themselves they do it because they are affraid of reprecursions...

This Global lottery surely can give someone 5 billion dollars as jackpot, but the people in power do not want that...They are affraid of selecting a nobody to have that much power...Is called prejudism/racism whatever you want to call it...Anyways nothing coming from England is good...

500 million the U.S can get a 500 million jackpot once or twice a year if they combined Powerball & Megamillions and join all the states remaining and charge 2 dollars per ticket...And actually it will not get to 500 million but instead it will get to 1 billion 500 million at least in the USA......So what are you telling me? that the U.S can draw bigger jackpot than the entire world combined...And this jackpot is going to cost how much? 50 dollars a ticket...So again what are you telling me...

$1 Trillion is way too high, considering the US GDP is $12 trillion and the world's is closer to $55 trillion

But I agree...if there is going to be an international jackpot it should be in the billions.

The problem, however, is we think our multi-state lotteries have bad odds, imagine what an international lottery would be like.

I'd rather have a national lottery, perhaps by merging MegaMillions and Powerball. Start at $40 million and go up. We'd approach $1 billion jackpots and the odds would probably approach 300 million to one.

pumpi76

Quote: Originally posted by Jimhowlett on Sep 12, 2008

$1 Trillion is way too high, considering the US GDP is $12 trillion and the world's is closer to $55 trillion

But I agree...if there is going to be an international jackpot it should be in the billions.

The problem, however, is we think our multi-state lotteries have bad odds, imagine what an international lottery would be like.

I'd rather have a national lottery, perhaps by merging MegaMillions and Powerball. Start at $40 million and go up. We'd approach $1 billion jackpots and the odds would probably approach 300 million to one.

i think the GDP of the world is a lot more than 55 trillion...But i am not here to argue..I don't know actually but i think is like 70 trillion but i may be wrong..

I don't think people are going to pay attention to the odds, they are going to pay attention to the jackpot the bigger the better provided that is Once a year...But one thing i think will happen is that they will play mostly 1 or 2 tickets not more than that if the tickets cost 50 dollars...

Spare Change

I am against any mergings of these multi state lotteries.  If anything I wish some of these states would scale down and disconnect from these multi state lotteries.  Powerball and Megamillions cut into the state jackpots.  Here in CT, the lotto jackpot takes so long to get up to even 2 or 3 million because so many people are playing Powerball.  And on top of that hardly ever is there a Powerball winner from CT.  And it will be worse in January when Florida joins PB.  It will reduce state jackpots in CT and Florida, among other states.

Does anybody really need to win 500 million?  Isn't 5 million enough?  Even after taxes a 5 mill jackpot would still make you a multi- millionaire. Isn't that enough?  Most people playing the lottery are poor(like me) or struggling to stay middle class.  5 mill would be more than enough for me to start living the good life.

SC

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by Spare Change on Sep 12, 2008

I am against any mergings of these multi state lotteries.  If anything I wish some of these states would scale down and disconnect from these multi state lotteries.  Powerball and Megamillions cut into the state jackpots.  Here in CT, the lotto jackpot takes so long to get up to even 2 or 3 million because so many people are playing Powerball.  And on top of that hardly ever is there a Powerball winner from CT.  And it will be worse in January when Florida joins PB.  It will reduce state jackpots in CT and Florida, among other states.

Does anybody really need to win 500 million?  Isn't 5 million enough?  Even after taxes a 5 mill jackpot would still make you a multi- millionaire. Isn't that enough?  Most people playing the lottery are poor(like me) or struggling to stay middle class.  5 mill would be more than enough for me to start living the good life.

SC

I Agree!

And believe most regular lottery players would be more than satisfied winning $5 to $10 million. Most the states selling $20 raffle tickets sold out quickly because there were more chances to win $1 millon.

When Powerball makes their changes in January the overall chance of winning something will be lowered but will still be over 1 winner for every 30 tickets sold. With huge number of possible combination, we won't see many time when 3, 4, or 5 players split a jackpot.

Editgap

Nonsense.

Can you imagine a terminal for a global lottery at your local neighborhood store next to your national lottery terminal machine because lotteries are that important to survival.

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

this seems to come up every year or two, i wish they would get on with it and stop yapping about it. either give us a world wide lotto. or go away. I dont think it would be that hard to implement, mainly just printing new entry coupons and programming the new game onto the computer.  taxes would be paid on based on the local the ticket was sold.

As the article said, people drop the smaller state games for the larger multi state games. Thats the price state lotto pays for getting in on the big draws. Ill take any win i can get, bigger the better.

i for one would play, just never expect to win.

Spare Change

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on Sep 12, 2008

I Agree!

And believe most regular lottery players would be more than satisfied winning $5 to $10 million. Most the states selling $20 raffle tickets sold out quickly because there were more chances to win $1 millon.

When Powerball makes their changes in January the overall chance of winning something will be lowered but will still be over 1 winner for every 30 tickets sold. With huge number of possible combination, we won't see many time when 3, 4, or 5 players split a jackpot.

Stack,

I agree with you about the raffles.  I wish CT would have a raffle, so I wouldn't have to travel out of state to play one.  I would be plenty happy just winning 1 mill, plus with the raffles you know when the numbers are drawn there will be a certain number of jackpot winners, unlike a lotto game that could drag on for months with no jackpot winner.

SC

Badger's avatarBadger

The odds against hitting the jp on something that is designed to produce those size jps is going to stagger the players when they finally see it.   Personally, I wouldn't bother playing.  Five hundred million is way, way WAY more than anyone needs anyway.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

When MegaMillions and PowerBall made their last matrix changes, there were talk of a possible $500M jackpot but it never happened.  I'm sure when PB changes its matrix again in January, there will such talks again.  There would be no advantage for any state to join an international game as long as PB and MM are available.

The problem is jackpots have to start out small because no state or country is going to contribute more to the jackpot then they can recover in tickets sales for each drawing and the odds of winning something have to be good enough to attract players while the jackpot is small so it's unlikely this game would be much different then what is already available in the states.

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

I agree with RJOh.

I also think this will create a lot more lottery scams.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by Spare Change on Sep 13, 2008

Stack,

I agree with you about the raffles.  I wish CT would have a raffle, so I wouldn't have to travel out of state to play one.  I would be plenty happy just winning 1 mill, plus with the raffles you know when the numbers are drawn there will be a certain number of jackpot winners, unlike a lotto game that could drag on for months with no jackpot winner.

SC

A $20 raffle ticket gives us 1 chance to win one of the five or six $1 million prizes and for the same $20 we can get twenty chances to win one multi-million dollar prize playing a jackpot game. The difference with raffle games is that five or six tickets are guaranteed to win and there is a chance in jackpot games that no ticket will have the winning numbers.

There are pros and cons for both, but it really comes down to player preference of which is the better bet.

LckyLary

I don't agree that Gail Howard books help people win; they have wheels that get you to play multiple tickets which would increase your odds anyway even if they were multiple QP instead. I think one suggestion in the booklet said to "hang around lucky people" and that one method would guarantee you would win something but it required that you matched the Bonus Ball and not giving any help on how to match it.

I would play a "World" Lottery if it paid me in $ and not Stonesylvanian Krupeks or Ameros and hopefully the HQ or claim center is here and not Upper Slobovia. Headline: "World Lottery Winner dies after being bitten by tsetse fly while claiming winnings at World Lotto HQ in..."

Anyway, we had Mega 390M not too long ago. I wonder where the taxes are paid to, The Global Community?

I would guess the terminal could be the same one the store already uses but depends on what the matrix is. Betslips are running out of room, soon they will be the size of tablecloths to accommodate all the extra numbers! They don't say how much 1 ticket is? Say it is $1, the pot is $500M, then probably the odds are "only" 4 or 5 times that of PB or MM, but that will be pushing 1 billion to one! Due to space constraints on betslips I would think to have 6 or 7 white balls and the usual 1 or even 2 bonus ball(s). One thing they really must do is with those odds there has to be a reasonable chance to win smaller prizes even matching 2 numbers or charge more per ticket. Also I will assume they are not stupid enough to have this be computerized!

And yes the PB and MM should merge (as Powerball I would hope) because I'm tired of spending $ to go to PA to play PB. The only catch is if they merge they might significantly raise the matrix or else the jackpots will never get far past $100M.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on Sep 13, 2008

A $20 raffle ticket gives us 1 chance to win one of the five or six $1 million prizes and for the same $20 we can get twenty chances to win one multi-million dollar prize playing a jackpot game. The difference with raffle games is that five or six tickets are guaranteed to win and there is a chance in jackpot games that no ticket will have the winning numbers.

There are pros and cons for both, but it really comes down to player preference of which is the better bet.

When a state has a raffle for several $1M prizes, they are putting out the money up front and gambling that they will recover their money and make a profit on ticket sales.  I can't see any group ever putting up a $500M jackpot and gambling they will sell enough tickets to cover the prize and make a profit too.

Bradly_60's avatarBradly_60

This International game will be more like Spains "El-Gordo" (I think that is what it is called)  There isn't just going to be one winning ticket, there is going to be thousands.  I have always wanted a game like that.  But international is going to be crazy.  The logistics along are going to take years to figure out.  Different currencies, different languages.  It will be nice to see but a pain in the rear to get started.

Brad

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Sep 13, 2008

When MegaMillions and PowerBall made their last matrix changes, there were talk of a possible $500M jackpot but it never happened.  I'm sure when PB changes its matrix again in January, there will such talks again.  There would be no advantage for any state to join an international game as long as PB and MM are available.

The problem is jackpots have to start out small because no state or country is going to contribute more to the jackpot then they can recover in tickets sales for each drawing and the odds of winning something have to be good enough to attract players while the jackpot is small so it's unlikely this game would be much different then what is already available in the states.

If I was making the choice between which game to play based on how much I could potentially win, Mega Millions is the obvious choice and a International game with a $500 million jackpot would be better yet. They designed the games with more combinations making it more difficult to win by a small weekly play and increase the jackpots after each drawing so hopefully there will be more play on the next game. The odds of hitting the jackpot are exactly the same whether it's for $12 or $300 million, but the game sort of creates the illusion because as more combinations are played in each drawing, the chances of it being hit are increased. The only real guarantee would happen if all the combinations are played, but even if it does happen, the odds on any one ticket winning are still exactly the same as they were when the jackpot was $12 million.

Three days a week I have the choice to play any or all of 7 different online games and there are 8 games on the other four days. I can justify playing Mega Millions twice a week because of the huge jackpots but realistically my chances of winning a jackpot are very small. It really comes down to what can I reasonably expect to get back playing any game based on how much I can afford to play. I don't play all the games every day, but have played two of them in the same drawings many times. And the regular drawings are 7:29 so I still have the time if I make a small hit to take a chance on MM.

Last night the Rolling Cash 5 jackpot was $301,000 for matching 5 of 39 numbers so I had the choice of playing it or I could try to win $250,000 for matching 5 of 56 numbers playing MM. That choice isn't always that easy because the average RC-5 prize is usually around $120,000. It's not exactly a reasonable expectation to match 5 numbers in either game on the next draw with a $10 wager so I'll probably have to make many more $10 wagers trying to win a jackpot. When we first started playing lottery games we didn't think in terms of future wagers and future losses but after years of playing, it's more likely that most players will lose money chasing jackpots.

To limit our losses for future play, the overall chances of winning anything tells us what to expect. The overall chances of winning any prize in MM is 1 in 40 and the odds of that one chance winning $10 is 844 to 1 and 306 to 1 win $7. It's more realistic to expect to win back $2 or $3 for every $40 we bet and expect to lose most of our bet.

The total cost of play is much less chasing a 6 figured jackpot but winning a $100 grand won't help the player that needs $100 million to buy their own city or a small country.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Sep 13, 2008

When a state has a raffle for several $1M prizes, they are putting out the money up front and gambling that they will recover their money and make a profit on ticket sales.  I can't see any group ever putting up a $500M jackpot and gambling they will sell enough tickets to cover the prize and make a profit too.

The lotteries do the research before and have a good idea of how many raffle tickets they should expect to sell. The Florida and Michigan raffles sold out quickly and Ohio didn't sell all of the tickets in its first raffle drawing. But since the total ticket sales were more than they paid out, they still made a profit.

pumpi76

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on Sep 13, 2008

Good point...

like 2 years ago someone gave me the formula for calculating the odds of a game configuration with 2 bonus balls,(i lost the formula now, will like to know it again)....I realized and noticed that the range of the game with 2 bonus ball could be extremely small with 2 bonus ball and yet it will have the same odds as a very large range with 1 bonus ball...For example, this are not the exact odds, is just for the sake of argument and better explain what i am saying...For example a Pick4/16 + Pick1/6 + Pick1/9 will have the same odds as a Pick6/40 + pick1/20....or a pick6/49

Despite that the first configuration is from 1-16, while the other is from 1-40 and the other is from 1-49....So i guess they could use 2 bonus balls or 3 bonus balls and reduce the number of balls on the betslip...That was just 2 bonus imagine now 3 bonus numbers? It will surely reduce the number field....I think they will have to do this if they want for all the numbers to fit on the betslip...

about the jackpot of this Global lottery....They forget that if they pay 500 milllion to the person, 200 million will go on taxes leaving the person with 300 million and if that person divorces he is left with 150 million dollars plus child support so basically the Entire world strain itself to get 150 million a jackpot that Powerball gets every years and this lottery is going to be once a year also just like Powerball, so you are basically comparing it with Powerball, when actually this Global lottery supposes to be bigger than Powerball....Again it just prove that the lottery doesn't research their games nor research the impact their games will have...

Again this lottery should have been in the billions..At least 5 billion...

If this global lottery was in the U.S they will have had to pay 250 million in taxes, leaving them with 250 million and pay another 125 million on taxes leaving the person with 125 million...And suppose the person divorces his wife, he is left with 64 million....So from 500 million to 64 million, how fair is that...All that hustle just for nothing...What does a 60 million dollar millionaire can do for the economy? However if it was a billionaire, he could open up all sort of bussiness, practices, hospitals, specialized clinics and help the economy of a country and let's wait until the bussiness grow...What can a 60 million dollar person do? Only with his 60 million buy 20 million dollar house, 20 million for his family and 20 million in the construction of a building...Did i mentioned the law suits that comes with been rich?...Again the lottery does not research their games as they should....

colthmn's avatarcolthmn

5 or 10 Million take home, I can sleep at night. $500 Million?  NO THANKS!

Guru101's avatarGuru101

Quote: Originally posted by pumpi76 on Sep 12, 2008

The story just says $500 million or more. It does not give us any insight on the rarity that amount will be reached. For example, it doesn't give us the size of the matrix, so we don't know how it compares to Powerball and Megamillions as far as odds go. For all we know, the odds of winning the jackpot could be 1 in 800 million and the starting jackpot could be $100 million.

pumpi76

Quote: Originally posted by colthmn on Sep 13, 2008

5 or 10 Million take home, I can sleep at night. $500 Million?  NO THANKS!

me too...

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

"In the US, if you offer people a multi-state game with a bigger payout, they don't bother with the local lottery."

BS, if they get large enough I play them for the better odds. In fact I play local lotteries far more than power rip off. But with a global lottery it also increases the chances of multiple winners. But $500 and up would be sweet.

tax is an interesting problem. here in australia the gov getes its tax by taxing everyone who buys a ticket. thats right 1/11th of all gambling wagers goes straight to the fed gov as a gambling tax.  so when aust. buys a international lotto ticket, We will pay our tax at the terminal, all the buyers will pay tax. doesnt matter if its won  here or not. In usa tthe gov will only get tax income when the ticket is actually won  there!

now it depends on whaqt you think is fairer, all the losers paying tax and the winner not paying it. so the gov gets their cut. or the winner paying the tax.

personally i dont think it should matter, Just keep it the way it already works in the juresdiction the ticket is bought and won in. i mean the tax i pay is 9c on ea $1 bet , i can live with that. if i win ,$1 mill , ive paid my 9c tax.

I think tax should be handled at local level.

now price

with international exchange rates always changing, the major location playing should be the basis of price and other countries should have a quate mechenism for when you want ot buy a game. like if u want to get a check cut on a forign bank you get  buy or sell price based on the daily rate. same for international lotto. The unlucky areas that doesnt have sell the most tickets. there would be a daily ticket price quoted at the terminal. when u go to buuy a ticket, the machine would print a quote before the sale for you to approve of the cost.

now if u lived in either USA or europe, well one of those 2, you would always pay the same price as the price will be based on their dollar. the rest of the world would have the varying price.

dvdiva's avatardvdiva

Considering they can't even get Germany or Italy to join Euromillions I really don't see this happening.

time*treat's avatartime*treat

Quote: Originally posted by savagegoose on Sep 15, 2008

tax is an interesting problem. here in australia the gov getes its tax by taxing everyone who buys a ticket. thats right 1/11th of all gambling wagers goes straight to the fed gov as a gambling tax.  so when aust. buys a international lotto ticket, We will pay our tax at the terminal, all the buyers will pay tax. doesnt matter if its won  here or not. In usa tthe gov will only get tax income when the ticket is actually won  there!

now it depends on whaqt you think is fairer, all the losers paying tax and the winner not paying it. so the gov gets their cut. or the winner paying the tax.

personally i dont think it should matter, Just keep it the way it already works in the juresdiction the ticket is bought and won in. i mean the tax i pay is 9c on ea $1 bet , i can live with that. if i win ,$1 mill , ive paid my 9c tax.

I think tax should be handled at local level.

now price

with international exchange rates always changing, the major location playing should be the basis of price and other countries should have a quate mechenism for when you want ot buy a game. like if u want to get a check cut on a forign bank you get  buy or sell price based on the daily rate. same for international lotto. The unlucky areas that doesnt have sell the most tickets. there would be a daily ticket price quoted at the terminal. when u go to buuy a ticket, the machine would print a quote before the sale for you to approve of the cost.

now if u lived in either USA or europe, well one of those 2, you would always pay the same price as the price will be based on their dollar. the rest of the world would have the varying price.

No worries. When they put together the global lottery, you can rest assured they will have a global currency and a global tax, too.

bobby623's avatarbobby623

Lot of good comments. But, it ain't going to happen. At least, not in the US.

Do you really think the IRS is going to let that much money go out of the country?
IMHO, it was the IRS that pushed the anti-gambling bill to stop $$$ from leaving the country, and to
shut down offshore bank accounts set up with mostly lottery wins.

Besides, to generate a $500 million jackpot, the game matrix would probably have to be something like Pick 8 from 70, plus a bonus ball.

Or maybe Pick 7 of 60 but to win you would have to match in the winning numbers in order of occurrence!

halinjer$ey

Quote: Originally posted by Abdi on Sep 12, 2008

FrownIt's an excellent and a very ambitious idea-though I suggest that we could had loved to know which type of a game it will be.

Many people around the globe ,have found a more easier ways to win the lotterey-with the help of Gail Howard Books and the LP .

Those who dont win are the ones 'who play without considering certain factors as outlayed very clearly in Certain Lotto Books and the LP.

Back to the topic....I think a global draw will be a great idea.   

I have heard of Gail Howard (I have two of her books) but "LP" eludes me as to it's meaning.

halinjer$ey

Quote: Originally posted by halinjer$ey on Sep 15, 2008

I have heard of Gail Howard (I have two of her books) but "LP" eludes me as to it's meaning.

DUH! LP stands for Lottery Post wheels and picks. DUH!, again.

myturn's avatarmyturn

I would like to participate in an international lottery - they could call it GLOBALBALL. Will the winners be allowed to remain anonymous, as in the UK and Australia, or be required to go public as in many US lotteries? I do hope they will be given the choice.

fiona$'s avatarfiona$

One thing to remember in Europe when they say it is a $500 million jackpot it is a $500 million pay out

not like here in the States where $100 million is $50 million payout if your lucky.

Fiona$

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Quote: Originally posted by sirbrad on Sep 15, 2008

BS, if they get large enough I play them for the better odds. In fact I play local lotteries far more than power rip off. But with a global lottery it also increases the chances of multiple winners. But $500 and up would be sweet.

Maybe you and I are smarter than the average player.  Sales of MM tickets in NY are never less than about 2.3 million for the $12 million starting jackpot. That's enough to cover about $1.2 million worth of annuity jackpot. When NY lotto rolls the increase is only $1 million until it gets to at least 35 or 40 million, when it increases by $2 million once before returning to a $1 million increase for at least a few weeks. That tells me that even at 25 to 30 million they're selling fewer lotto tickets than MM tickets for $12 million, despite lotto offering  about 7 times as much chance of winning. What I see in stores is the same. If lotto is at 25, 30 or even 35 million while MM is at 12 to 20, I see people buying MM tickets without buying lotto.

If you can get odds that are 5 to 10 times better for a bigger jackpot you'd think it would be a no brainer, but apparently that's not how a lot of players think. When the choice is to play for $10 or 20 million or have far less chance to win $50 million, there's no question that the majority go for the bigger payout. Of course, the odds in both games are so bad that it's not really smart to play either way.

the survery over on usamega had me thinking... about a 10c  a play game for the international lotto.

of course there would also need a really hard to win game to get it to jackpot so i thought a 7/99 game, i think i calcualted odds right at 1 in 1,120,529,256thats right 1 in 1 billion odds. but at 10c us a play even people in 3rd world countries would play.

you could have so many options for playing combinations and wheelsthere on the entry form.  you could play every number from 1- 99 for$1.50 bet.  there should be a box to QP a random mix of all numbers. every combo of 9numbers would only cost like $3.60 and 10 numbers only $12. pick 12numbers and terminal could calc that its a combo game and charge youfor 120 games, ie $12. or mark 8 numbers a game and be charged 80c a play for combo 8 plays.  playing ea combination of 7 numbers out of 8.

anyhow im getting excied about the posibilities with low price high odds games, I think it might be the only way to get poeple to pay to play such hard winning odds.

gocart1's avatargocart1

Quote: Originally posted by Spare Change on Sep 12, 2008

SC

HEY SPARE CHANGE..I'm here in city island ,in the bronx,N.Y...I always take the twenty minute to exit 4 on i95 ,to play powerball.its funny thing but all the different lotto retailers say,,if it wasn't for the powerball in ct ,nobody would play any tickets ..CT lotto only adds 100,000 to the lotto after no jackpot wins.All the other state add at least  a 1,000,000 to the game after a non jackpot drawingParty

Jimhowlett

I can't believe what I'm reading. Did a few of you actually say you'd turn down $500M?

colthmn's avatarcolthmn

Quote: Originally posted by Jimhowlett on Sep 17, 2008

I can't believe what I'm reading. Did a few of you actually say you'd turn down $500M?

Well, I don't mean to suggest that I'd turn down $500 Mill. If someone offered it to me, I could always give some away and keep the amount I desired. However, I don't see anyone offering! I would not pursue it with the same zeal as I do  with  $ 60 and $ 80 million dollar jackpots! Not long ago there was a $ 276 Mill jackpot and a steelworker won with $2.00. I was sitting here at my computer at 6pm and could have walked 1 blk and took a pretty big swing at it. I didn't bother going,  cause I just couldn't get excited about it.

With $500 mill dollars comes a lot of responsibility I'd prefer not to have, not to mention the headaches and worries just watching the Brokers and Tax folks and planners in your employ! The time required to oversee that kind of money could be much better spent, learning the art of gourmet cooking. Fishing also would consume much of my time. For me it's this way, I just don't desire Empire! No phones ringing PLEEEZE!!!

$30 or $40 Million, I could make some dumb mistakes, and still have enough to live well. Even that amount is more than I actually need.  I just want to do whatever I want, whenever I want. How much, would I love to walk into an Auto Show, and see the car of my dreams, and right then and there, tell that salesperson, I want this car! How great is that?  So, no. If I walked over to customer service, and had a couple of extra bucks and threw it down, and won $500 Mill. I wouldn't refuse the prize, there are plenty enough people with their hands out. But, what are the odds that freak accident would ever occur? So, I really go at the small and medium jackpots, and I mean,  I go at em'!!!!

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

You may not want to turn down a $500 million jackpot, but if I'm reading you correctly you'd rather play for 60 to 80 million?

"what are the odds that freak accident would ever occur?"

It's less likely that the jackpot will get to $500 million than 60 or 80, but once it does you have exactly the same odds of winning as you do with 60 or 80, or for the starting jackpot of 12 million. It's winning that's a freak acident, not winning when the jackpot happens to be unusually big.

"$30 or $40 Million, I could make some dumb mistakes, and still have enough to live well."

With the $175 million I'd net from a $500 million jackpot I could make a bunch of big, dumb mistakes and still have enough to live extremely well. Sure, you could lose a lot more than if you had "only" $30 to 40 million, but what really matters is what you have left. If you lost $35 million your glass would be nearly empty, but if I lost $85 million my glass would still be half full. If you think the responsibility of investing and managing  $150 million is tough, what about the responsibility of dealing with 1/4 of that? The responsibility is really much higher, because you can't afford to lose as much.

Investing and managing the money doesn't have to be a huge project, because you don't need a huge return when you've got that much principal to work with. A measly 2.5% would give you a quarter million per year forever if you had $10 million. Earning $2.5 million a year by investing $100 million at 2.5% isn't any harder, though it would be worthwhile to diversify a bit more. The companies that are currently going belly up aren't doing it because they didn't make enough from safe, conservative investments. They're going belly up because they got greedy and gambled that they'd make big returns on risky investments, and lost enormous amounts of the principal. There's an awful lot to be said for kicking back and relaxing while a huge nest egg earns a modest return instead of trying to maximize the return from a smaller nest egg.

pumpi76

Quote: Originally posted by Jimhowlett on Sep 17, 2008

Yes i would turn down 500 million dollars....I would play it because you never know but once i win i'll take my part and the rest i will give it away...I really don't need that much money...or i will use it for good but don't even think for a second that i am going to use that money for me, i may use it in science experiments or on theories on how to change the world....

Also something many forget and i bet even the country lottery who is creating this huge Global lottery also forgets....You may not see it that way and you will disagree but i believe it is so...

If the odds of a game is 300 million to 1, it is actually 300 million to 1 BECAUSE IT COST 1 DOLLAR...but if each ticket was to cost 5 dollars, then the odds will be 5x 300 million....Why? because we assume that each combination is going to cost us 1 dollar...And i know the ticket of this Global lottery is not going to cost 1 dollars but like 50 dollars or something...What am i saying? That just by the price of each ticket you are jacking up the odds, you don't need to necesarily jackup the lotto configuration/matrix to really jackup the price.....

Another example...If Powerball a game that has 150 million combinations was to cost 30 dollars EACH TICKET, the it will take 30 times the amount of people that play Powerball to win as regular as it is now that each ticket cost 1 dollar...So the odds will not be the same...

Another example, if powerball game that has 150 million combination and the odds are 150 million to 1 was to cost 25 cents per ticket, then the odds will be 1/4th 150 million to 1, because with 1 dollar you can buy 4 tickets and no one is going to spend 25 cents, most people are going to spend 1 dollar because 1 dollar is the national sort of speak, currency, national standard unit of the game...So at 25 cents the odds will be 1 in 37 million and not 1 in 150 million....The same thing would happen if the game of each ticket cost 30, 40 or 50 dollars...I don't care who says what, this is what actually the odds are...

Stew12's avatarStew12

The odds do not change with the price of the ticket, that is a mathematical fact.  You either pay $1 for a 1:146,107,962 chance, or you pay $.10 for a 1:146,107,962 chance, or you pay $10 for a 1:146,107,962 chance, etc.  Simple math.

colthmn's avatarcolthmn

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Sep 17, 2008

You may not want to turn down a $500 million jackpot, but if I'm reading you correctly you'd rather play for 60 to 80 million?

"what are the odds that freak accident would ever occur?"

It's less likely that the jackpot will get to $500 million than 60 or 80, but once it does you have exactly the same odds of winning as you do with 60 or 80, or for the starting jackpot of 12 million. It's winning that's a freak acident, not winning when the jackpot happens to be unusually big.

"$30 or $40 Million, I could make some dumb mistakes, and still have enough to live well."

With the $175 million I'd net from a $500 million jackpot I could make a bunch of big, dumb mistakes and still have enough to live extremely well. Sure, you could lose a lot more than if you had "only" $30 to 40 million, but what really matters is what you have left. If you lost $35 million your glass would be nearly empty, but if I lost $85 million my glass would still be half full. If you think the responsibility of investing and managing  $150 million is tough, what about the responsibility of dealing with 1/4 of that? The responsibility is really much higher, because you can't afford to lose as much.

Investing and managing the money doesn't have to be a huge project, because you don't need a huge return when you've got that much principal to work with. A measly 2.5% would give you a quarter million per year forever if you had $10 million. Earning $2.5 million a year by investing $100 million at 2.5% isn't any harder, though it would be worthwhile to diversify a bit more. The companies that are currently going belly up aren't doing it because they didn't make enough from safe, conservative investments. They're going belly up because they got greedy and gambled that they'd make big returns on risky investments, and lost enormous amounts of the principal. There's an awful lot to be said for kicking back and relaxing while a huge nest egg earns a modest return instead of trying to maximize the return from a smaller nest egg.

Well, the post states"International super lottery to create jackpots of $500 million or more"

If this game is to originate in Europe as does Euromillions and will be multi-national, then, what you see, is what you get. $500million. This provided you're the sole  winner!

As I live in California, my game here is mega millions. Which is the game I play with greatest fervor. So, when the jackpot reaches about $60 to $80 million, I'm seeing $30-40 million net. Thereabout anyway! A $500 million jackpot is very difficult for me to get my head around. It isn't so much that the odds are lesser or greater or the same, at least not for me. I said I might throw $2.00 at it. Normally with mega I play much more than $2.00 at my preferred level. It is also true that people win all the time with $2.00 and many do not. Sooo, it's not the odds that dampens my desire to play, but it is the excessive amount of the pot that I am uncomfortable with!!!

And again, as far as managing the money, I'd also feel more comfortable with a smaller amount, especially with what's happening with the money markets. I'd place a little in a lot of places, and pay cash for much else! I want as little debt as possible at this point. I do have ideas, but of course I'd seek guidance from professionals, but at the end of the day, the decisions would be mine!!!

So, Okay! the odds are exactly the same, that's good enough! But I'm still not wanting $500 million. Sorry Folks!!!

lottocalgal's avatarlottocalgal

Quote: Originally posted by Badger on Sep 13, 2008

The odds against hitting the jp on something that is designed to produce those size jps is going to stagger the players when they finally see it.   Personally, I wouldn't bother playing.  Five hundred million is way, way WAY more than anyone needs anyway.

I agree,

I would not play a global lottery.  I truely believe that $500 million is just too much for me.  I know it sounds silly,  but I think about the super wealthy in this country,  I mean they still push after be liquid at 2, 5 or 10 BILLION.  I mean how much is enough?  The way I live now,  If I were to win a minimum 10 million,  (final payout, taxes and fees)  I truly think I would be set for life.  My dream home would still only cost around $500k my dream car, around $35k.  Even helping my family wouldnt cost much.  I would still work (at a job I love) and live normally,  I think most people would too.  I think that in present  days,  many of us have learned to do without and I for one have reevaluated a dollar's worth and would not just go crazy after the big win.  I have learned that when you have it, you prepare for when you don't.  NO, I would not need $500 million or even $100 million.  Even If I were to win a tiny $100,00  scratcher right now,  It would help my current situation.

pumpi76

Quote: Originally posted by lottocalgal on Sep 20, 2008

I agree,

I would not play a global lottery.  I truely believe that $500 million is just too much for me.  I know it sounds silly,  but I think about the super wealthy in this country,  I mean they still push after be liquid at 2, 5 or 10 BILLION.  I mean how much is enough?  The way I live now,  If I were to win a minimum 10 million,  (final payout, taxes and fees)  I truly think I would be set for life.  My dream home would still only cost around $500k my dream car, around $35k.  Even helping my family wouldnt cost much.  I would still work (at a job I love) and live normally,  I think most people would too.  I think that in present  days,  many of us have learned to do without and I for one have reevaluated a dollar's worth and would not just go crazy after the big win.  I have learned that when you have it, you prepare for when you don't.  NO, I would not need $500 million or even $100 million.  Even If I were to win a tiny $100,00  scratcher right now,  It would help my current situation.

Yeah i agree too...With those 500 million i'll use on experiment on how to change the world, like how to better improve the flora situation in Africa, like how to grow plants in Africa and Haiti, and creating places that will teach kids math, how to create books that will explain math easier, how to place money in the bank and letting the interest pay people to plant treets, all over the world, etc a bunch of projects in mind, the money will solely be used for this project not for me...On All the projects and theories not counting the hundreds of websites i am going to open advocating my theories, plans, projects and other stuff, like lottery prediction website, etc...My dream car is a BMW and is not the newest edition but instead an old edition...90's to be specific, depite that i am going green after i hit that jackpot....

What i'll like is for my entire family to live in one neighboorhood or within 20 seconds from each other...Huge mansion i don't want...The most expensive thing i might buy for me, which would be for my hobby is a supercomputer and it will not even be a supercomputer but a semi supercomputer or mini supercomputer the size of a wardrobe....

And it doesn't sound silly to say that 500 million is TOO MUCH, because it is too much...Also for this Global Lottery, i'll surely play only quick picks...

i'll give the woman of my dream something who knows 8 million and 8 million respectively if i can't have them which are that girl in celeste shorts and the woman who work in the bank, as a gift...

By the way flora means all plant life occuring in an area.... 

pumpi76

Quote: Originally posted by pumpi76 on Sep 20, 2008

Yeah i agree too...With those 500 million i'll use on experiment on how to change the world, like how to better improve the flora situation in Africa, like how to grow plants in Africa and Haiti, and creating places that will teach kids math, how to create books that will explain math easier, how to place money in the bank and letting the interest pay people to plant treets, all over the world, etc a bunch of projects in mind, the money will solely be used for this project not for me...On All the projects and theories not counting the hundreds of websites i am going to open advocating my theories, plans, projects and other stuff, like lottery prediction website, etc...My dream car is a BMW and is not the newest edition but instead an old edition...90's to be specific, depite that i am going green after i hit that jackpot....

What i'll like is for my entire family to live in one neighboorhood or within 20 seconds from each other...Huge mansion i don't want...The most expensive thing i might buy for me, which would be for my hobby is a supercomputer and it will not even be a supercomputer but a semi supercomputer or mini supercomputer the size of a wardrobe....

And it doesn't sound silly to say that 500 million is TOO MUCH, because it is too much...Also for this Global Lottery, i'll surely play only quick picks...

i'll give the woman of my dream something who knows 8 million and 8 million respectively if i can't have them which are that girl in celeste shorts and the woman who work in the bank, as a gift...

By the way flora means all plant life occuring in an area.... 

i'll give 2 million to the beautiful girl from Santiago,Chile named "Paola Sobando"....And i'll take some money and beging a beauty paegant here in Panama but according to my standards based on certain qualifications hobbies, etc...I'll do it every Christmast or once a month....I might give 100,000 as a gift, all coming from money placed in the bank...

pumpi76

i'll give 2 million to the beautiful girl from Santiago,Chile named "Paola Sobando"....And i'll take some money and beging a beauty paegant here in Panama but according to my standards based on certain qualifications hobbies, etc...I'll do it every Christmast or once a month....I might give 100,000 as a gift, all coming from money placed in the bank...

I'll also some of the money and beging bribing governments across the world into placing 2 lotteries in their countries and they are West Virginia Cash25, and Washington Match4...If Match4 can be in washington state, i am sure it can be in other countries....

jim695

Quote: Originally posted by Coin Toss on Sep 13, 2008

I agree with RJOh.

I also think this will create a lot more lottery scams.

I agree, Coin Toss.

Given the huge amounts of money at stake, corruption in such a lottery would be rampant and unavoidable. Those currently charged with running state lotteries in America are now beginning to whine that it's too hard to make a profit, and that it would be easier and more profitable to privatize this significant stream of state revenue.

If the top prize is $500 million, they'd need to generate two or three times that amount in ticket sales and, from what I read in the article, there are just too many fingers in the pie. Our government probably doesn't realize this, but America has no authority over foreign nations. So what's to be done when greed rears its ugly head, and we discover that officials from two other countries have siphoned off a substantial amount of money from ticket receipts? Will America take them to World Court and charge them with Misappropriation of Public Funds?

What if the United States is the culprit? A ridiculous notion, since we only elect the most honest people to serve us, but what if a crook penetrates our political armor and gets himself elected? What if this duly-elected crook decides that we don't pay him enough money, and he procures a seat for himself on the World Lottery Commission for the sole purpose of looting it? Of course, this could never happen; not here, not in America.

Then there's the other side of the coin. Players are going to try to beat the game, and if they can't do it by winning, they'll do it by cheating. There will be tens of thousands of fraudulent tickets presented for payment, and tens of thousands of people will go to jail for varying terms of confinement. In addition, I can already see the myriad of lawsuits filed in this country and others, charging that the lottery refused to pay their legitimate winning tickets.

I think a better model would be a lottery with lower jackpot prizes and lower odds. A multi-national lottery will result in more personal bankruptcies and more mortgage foreclosures in America because many novice players believe they'll have a lock on the jackpot if they buy enough tickets. Some members will recall that this actually happened the first time the PowerBall jackpot reached $100 million; people borrowed money against there homes to buy thousands of tickets (one guy spent $48,000 buying tickets for ONE drawing, and he didn't win anything significant). Many were forced to default on those loans once reality made itself apparent, and they found themselves homeless, but with their dreams of financial independence still intact and waiting to be fulfilled.

For the record, I'm against it, and I won't play, so there's one less competitor in the player pool. Personally, I don't need $500 million; I would be just as happy with a measly $30 million after taxes. At 5%, the interest would be just over one million dollars a year, and I could live on that if I gave up drinking and smoking crack.

This is a Bad Idea with capital letters, but when politicians begin throwing around figures like the ones outlined in the article, they get starry-eyed thinking about all that money and how they're going to spend every dime of it. I can't speak for other countries, but American politicians and officials are notoriously short-sighted, and they don't consider the long-term ramifications of their actions. This is due to the total and complete lack of government accountability in America; they don't have to think about those things because they won't be held responsible for it unless it succeeds, in which case they'll be only too happy to take the credit.

I can see by the number of responses that this is a popular topic, and most of the posts I've read seem to support the idea (although I haven't read them all). I wish those members the very best of luck, and I truly hope that the first winner is an LP.com member. However, it's my opinion that the only winners from this lottery will be those who set it up and operate it. 

It will be interesting to learn who gets the franchise once they decide it's too expensive to run and that it must be privatized. Maybe Mark Cuban will buy it, or Bill Gates. Actually, this would be a nice addition to Dubai International's portfolio, or for any other foreign corporation who has a substantial stake in American business. 34% of American companies are currently owned outright by foreign governments and corporations, and an alarming number of our public works are owned and operated by foreign nations.  

Someday in the not-too-distant future, our currency could contain the words, "The United Arab States of America ..." It's a scary thought, but if we don't give our government's leash a good, hard jerk, it could easily become a reality in just a few short years.

pumpi76

Please people of the world if you can read this please listen....There is a way to win that Global Lottery...You will not know about it but there is a way to win it...Please believe me...You can call this my alert call....Most people of the world will never know about it, but there is a way and Americans know the key also but it is a specific group...Lots of people may laugh at me, but the one doing the laughing is me, because 99.9% of people if you went to their houses when they are not there and you was to change the font of one letter in their wardrobe they will not notice it again who is really doing the laughing...Most people will not notice that their email is read, i do notice that my email is read...Just so you know people of the world....The Mafia and the Drug Cartel is going to be after this also after the key to win it...

pumpi76

I'll give 2 million to Daisy Palacios a girl i used to like and 2 million to Nadia Melgar another girl i used to like, they were both honor students first in the entire school respectively and 2 more to a girl that used to live in a luxurious building close to where i used to work....

Having that much money sort of put a price to your head, the more you have the higher the price for your head is...You may not notice this in the U.S because the U.S is sort of very quiet but anywhere else in the world is different..

The rest of the money will go to trying to lobby and bribe governments of the world into creating a Washington State Match 4 game and West Virginia Cash25 in their respective countries...

And not only that i am telling you this because i've seen it, not that i have won a lot of money...When you get that much money people around you and your surrounding beging to temp you, out of no where you begin to see hotter than normal woman walking around you mysterious friendships beging to appear, traffic back up for miles in front of you, is all plan of the devil...

pumpi76

I'll give 2 million to Daisy Palacios a girl i used to like and 2 million to Nadia Melgar another girl i used to like, they were both honor students first in the entire school respectively and 2 more to a girl that used to live in a luxurious building close to where i used to work....

Having that much money sort of put a price to your head, the more you have the higher the price for your head is...You may not notice this in the U.S because the U.S is sort of very quiet but anywhere else in the world is different..

The rest of the money will go to trying to lobby and bribe governments of the world into creating a Washington State Match 4 game and West Virginia Cash25 in their respective countries...

And not only that i am telling you this because i've seen it, not that i have won a lot of money...When you get that much money people around you and your surrounding beging to temp you, out of no where you begin to see hotter than normal woman walking around you mysterious friendships beging to appear, traffic back up for miles in front of you, is all plan of the devil...

The rest of the money is going to go also into creating a UNIVERSAL ENGLISH TEACHING CHANNEL if is possible....I'll take a lump sum of money place it in the bank and the interest is going to power this Global English Teaching Channel....

pumpi76

More important than that Global Lottery is a Universal English Teaching Channel taught all over the world and to plant take a hundreds of millions place it in the bank and letting the interest power the salary of people working to plant trees....

colthmn's avatarcolthmn

A Gambling addiction, is like an invisible enemy, that closes in on us, in ways we do not perceive. In California, we have 5 games already! All but one being computerized drawings! I have played all 5 simultaneously for a prolonged period. That is, long enough to get in trouble!! You have to have enough sense, to rein yourself in, when you know you're exceeding bounds just a bit! I left off playing all games except Mega Millions, just for that reason. Now, here comes another game, and this time a $500 Million pot!!! Excitement is already swirling about the game, even though it doesn't even exist, and may never! Opinions are offered, calculations are made, and the History of the world is unfolded before us. These games are so addictive, I think most do not realize, with what zeal they are playing. This is why, I have become more careful with my play. Things can so easily get away from us. So,  I only play MM now, and in fact, I hope this game never finds the light of day. These are terrible times, and there are far more pressing needs, than throwing hard earned cash at a ghost. Oh yeah! almost forgot, I may throw a few dollars at pick 3 this month! I know, I know, I know. But it's still an improvement!!!

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by colthmn on Sep 21, 2008

A Gambling addiction, is like an invisible enemy, that closes in on us, in ways we do not perceive. In California, we have 5 games already! All but one being computerized drawings! I have played all 5 simultaneously for a prolonged period. That is, long enough to get in trouble!! You have to have enough sense, to rein yourself in, when you know you're exceeding bounds just a bit! I left off playing all games except Mega Millions, just for that reason. Now, here comes another game, and this time a $500 Million pot!!! Excitement is already swirling about the game, even though it doesn't even exist, and may never! Opinions are offered, calculations are made, and the History of the world is unfolded before us. These games are so addictive, I think most do not realize, with what zeal they are playing. This is why, I have become more careful with my play. Things can so easily get away from us. So,  I only play MM now, and in fact, I hope this game never finds the light of day. These are terrible times, and there are far more pressing needs, than throwing hard earned cash at a ghost. Oh yeah! almost forgot, I may throw a few dollars at pick 3 this month! I know, I know, I know. But it's still an improvement!!!

I'm not even sure that this "super lottery" game is coming to the USA, or if it does, which states will sell it.

Just because they are in discussions does not mean it will happen.  Remember, these kinds of talks have happened many times before, and nothing ever came of them.

There is no lottery operated or controlled by the federal government, so any international games would have to be implemented on a state-by-state basis.

I can tell you that many states will not go for it.  Especially the ones that saw a significant drop in revenues for the local state games after adding a multi-state game.

I guess what I'm saying is that it is good to think about the issues that will face people if a huge international lottery game is added, but don't also make the leap that adding the games is 100% certainty.

Jimhowlett

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Sep 21, 2008

I'm not even sure that this "super lottery" game is coming to the USA, or if it does, which states will sell it.

Just because they are in discussions does not mean it will happen.  Remember, these kinds of talks have happened many times before, and nothing ever came of them.

There is no lottery operated or controlled by the federal government, so any international games would have to be implemented on a state-by-state basis.

I can tell you that many states will not go for it.  Especially the ones that saw a significant drop in revenues for the local state games after adding a multi-state game.

I guess what I'm saying is that it is good to think about the issues that will face people if a huge international lottery game is added, but don't also make the leap that adding the games is 100% certainty.

If I'm not mistaken, the Federal government would by right have the sole jurisdiction regulating money going outside the States in this manner (gambling). Therefore, it would have to be federally approved. Only then would it be up to individual states.

chasingadream's avatarchasingadream

I need to know more details before I get excited........

colthmn's avatarcolthmn

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Sep 21, 2008

It's good to know this, as I am satisfied with Mega Millions in it's current state, and I hope there are no matrix changes.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story