Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:25 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Random Lottery..Random Stock Market

Topic closed. 101 replies. Last post 8 years ago by lotterybraker.

Page 3 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
mississippi
United States
Member #34478
March 3, 2006
5903 Posts
Posted: December 13, 2008, 8:51 am - IP Logged

It may take me a little while to get back down there where I was at Four..since I took that bad beat down Thursday...I just never put much thought into the stock market..but this is some fun stuff to mess with..

Four...I might be wrong on this but I am going to take a stab at it..look for the S AND P to close at or around 925 and the DOW to close at or around 9000 Monday or Tuesday..if that happens that will be a very good monday..or..a good monday and tuesday..but dont hold me to it ok..hahaha...I am still experimenting with stock market data..
$1.118M
Total Portfolio Value*
Top 25.9%
Game Rank*
128293rd
Game Rank Position*
1,076 (0.1%)
Gain/Loss, Intraday
-15,733 (-1.4%)
Gain/Loss, Weekly*
118,376 (11.8%)
Gain/Loss, Overall*
*As of 12/11/08 at 4pm EST. Weekly and Overall Gain/Loss is calculated daily after market close.

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8360 Posts
    Posted: December 13, 2008, 12:02 pm - IP Logged
    I made a good move yesterday.. bought some more of the stock i had.
    You know you have 4 more portfolios you can work with if you feel you might be able to buy some stock and let it ride.
    $1.228M
    Total Portfolio Value*
    Top 13.5%
    Game Rank*
    67318th
    Game Rank Position*
    19,029 (1.6%)
    Gain/Loss, Intraday
    81,093 (7.1%)
    Gain/Loss, Weekly*
    227,572 (22.8%)
    Gain/Loss, Overall*
    *As of 12/13/08 at 11:10am EST. Weekly and Overall Gain/Loss is calculated daily after market close.
      mississippi
      United States
      Member #34478
      March 3, 2006
      5903 Posts
      Posted: December 13, 2008, 12:16 pm - IP Logged

so..if I put the same stock in all 5 portfolios and it closes up..that helps your score more than just having that stock in one portfolio..because if it helps more..I will start putting the same stock in the other four...hahahaha

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8360 Posts
        Posted: December 13, 2008, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

Each portfolio is a single entity. The only way to improve your score is to have a portfolio that makes money.

For instance if you put the stock you have in portfolio number 2 and leave it alone it will grow or shrink.

If you create portfolio 3 and place a few stocks from your first folder in it and some new different stock you can see where that goes.

Buying and selling stock in your portfolios on a daily basis to me isn't a good idea, because its not in real time. You have no idea where the market will go the next day. You might sell all your stock one day and the next day it looses money or gains, if it gains you'll be kicking yourself because you dumped it. If you didn't buy more stock of a different variety you portfolio is stalled.  However if you sell of all your stock one day and in the same day buy different stock that grows the next day then you make out better.

The first time i played this game i was totally thinking i had a handle on it i was buying and selling stock every day. I was losing money left ad right and couldn't figure out why. My portfolio wend down the drain. Because i created 5 portfolios i was able to jump on number two and three and make corrections to my strategy. I had to go back and read all the rules several times to get a complete understanding of how the game works. Since it not in real time you have to adjust your strategy.

They changed the rules for every game also.... in the first game you could have 100% of one stock, in this game you can only have 25% or 4 quarters... or manageable equivalents of 100%.... 10 stocks of 10% and so on.

I'm only working with 5 stocks in one portfolio. I try and not buy any stock thats more than $25.00 i buy cheap stocks that i think will grow. My strategy could be all wrong this time around but it worked great for the most part in the second game they ran.

The first two times they ran this game i listened to everything everybody said on CNBC i was glued to the show i kept tally sheets took down tips and pointers followed the market and acted on the things they suggested and went broke. This time around i haven't watched 1 hour of CNBC since this game started. Don't want their influence straying me.

This time i took 5 stocks at random from the NYST made sure they were playable and just let em ride except for two which kept failing to show a weekly profit i dumped all but 10 percent of them and divide the rest up equally with the other three.

Having played this game before gave me some incite to how the game is played. I could have done some serious research and found better stocks. You need tools also which i haven't downloaded a free stock ticker and charts to create portfolios even if they aren't the ones you need in the game. Just to get an understanding of how things work. I do use yahoo's stock tables from time to time but I'm not going to do an about face with the stock i chose at least not yet.

In order to play this game and win you have to be a stock broker or the equivalent of one.

Keep stabbing at it you'll get a feel for it also.

mississippi
          United States
          Member #34478
          March 3, 2006
          5903 Posts
          Posted: December 16, 2008, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

It may take me a little while to get back down there where I was at Four..since I took that bad beat down Thursday...I just never put much thought into the stock market..but this is some fun stuff to mess with..

Four...I might be wrong on this but I am going to take a stab at it..look for the S AND P to close at or around 925 and the DOW to close at or around 9000 Monday or Tuesday..if that happens that will be a very good monday..or..a good monday and tuesday..but dont hold me to it ok..hahaha...I am still experimenting with stock market data..
          $1.118M
          Total Portfolio Value*
          Top 25.9%
          Game Rank*
          128293rd
          Game Rank Position*
          1,076 (0.1%)
          Gain/Loss, Intraday
          -15,733 (-1.4%)
          Gain/Loss, Weekly*
          118,376 (11.8%)
          Gain/Loss, Overall*
          *As of 12/11/08 at 4pm EST. Weekly and Overall Gain/Loss is calculated daily after market close.

heh Four...we almost made the target allocation for Monday and Tuesday..I am betting the market will be up tomorrow also...I hope you had a great day today..I am still pissed at the dang rules..I put in 4 stocks this morning before the market ever opened. at 25% each and all 4 closed up..especially.CME..I bought it before the market opened when it was up only 133 pre-market and you see where it closed at  PLUS WHOPPING  19.17 cents and it said I only made 12,000 dollars off of 4 stocks that closed up at 25% each..what a crock of Dog Do..hahahaha

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            8360 Posts
            Posted: December 16, 2008, 10:44 pm - IP Logged

Like i said you have to forget real time. If you buy stock from now until tomorrow at 4 pm it will cost you whatever the price closes at 4pm tomorrow. I tried to explain this in earlier posts. I learned this lesson the first time around.

If you sell all your stock tonight or during the day tomorrow and is closes high tomorrow you get the rewards.

Remember the golden rule buy stocks at a low price wait for them to gain, sell them off on the day they gain usually a day or two later.

Therefore you have to have a goal in mind 24 hrs ahead of time and act on it. 

I think they set the game the way they did so their servers wouldn't be overloaded if it were in real time people would but low in the morning and wait until the last hour and sell all the stock they bough at a low price in the morning for a gain. You wouldn't be able to act on it in this manner because their servers would crash with all the traffic.

I had a horrible day yesterday lost about 50 grand but made up for it today.

$1.275M
            Total Portfolio Value*
            Top 13.9%
            Game Rank*
            69942nd
            Game Rank Position*
            75,801 (6.3%)
            Gain/Loss, Intraday
            47,680 (3.9%)
            Gain/Loss, Weekly*
            275,251 (27.5%)
            Gain/Loss, Overall*
            *As of 12/16/08 at 4pm EST. Weekly and Overall Gain/Loss is calculated daily after market close

Honduras
              Member #20982
              August 29, 2005
              4715 Posts
              Posted: December 25, 2008, 11:25 am - IP Logged

Keep it up you all i wish you the best of luck....

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8360 Posts
                Posted: December 27, 2008, 12:35 am - IP Logged
                Moved up a bit this week but no where near the top players.
                $1.335M
                Total Portfolio Value*
                Top 6.9%
                Game Rank*
                35396th
                Game Rank Position*
                16,998 (1.3%)
                Gain/Loss, Intraday
                24,819 (1.9%)
                Gain/Loss, Weekly*
                334,960 (33.5%)
                Gain/Loss, Overall*
                *As of 12/26/08 at 4pm EST. Weekly and Overall Gain/Loss is calculated daily after market close.
                  mississippi
                  United States
                  Member #34478
                  March 3, 2006
                  5903 Posts
                  Posted: December 27, 2008, 11:30 am - IP Logged

WTG Four....you are still doing VERY good for sure..I took a bad beating a couple of days last week..I went from the position in the top teens to the top 40 plus percent so I had to do some fighting back to get my % percent back down..I got it back in the low 20's..I have been running LOW percents on everything most of this week..1%..5%..etc...didnt make much on some..didnt lose much on others either..the week before I had 2 BAD DAYS..hahaha..good luck this next week Four..maybe both of us will keep moving further up...

$1.146M
                  Total Portfolio Value*
                  Top 23.0%
                  Game Rank*
                  117302nd
                  Game Rank Position*
                  0 (0.0%)
                  Gain/Loss, Intraday
                  -4,635 (-0.4%)
                  Gain/Loss, Weekly*
                  146,146 (14.6%)
                  Gain/Loss, Overall*
                  *As of 12/26/08 at 4pm EST. Weekly and Overall Gain/Loss is calculated daily after market close.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                    MD
                    United States
                    Member #1701
                    June 18, 2003
                    8360 Posts
                    Posted: December 27, 2008, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

lotterybraker

Buy a few low dollar stocks in the 2 to 3 dollar range and run your percentage purchase rate to 22% on each stock for a total of 75 - 80% of your portfolio on a good day if your stock rises 10 cents or more on like 180,000 shares your portfolio will jump up big time.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                      mississippi
                      United States
                      Member #34478
                      March 3, 2006
                      5903 Posts
                      Posted: December 27, 2008, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Four..I will have to try that..I am still Learning STOCK MARKET General Info..but I may give that a try next week..I dont have anything running for Monday at all..I sold everything I had wednesday nite and it ran Friday also but was gone after they settled up Friday after the market closed..so..I have to pick something to run for Tuesday..I will look at the small dollar stocks and see if I can find something..good luck and thanks for the tip...

mississippi
                        United States
                        Member #34478
                        March 3, 2006
                        5903 Posts
                        Posted: December 30, 2008, 10:14 pm - IP Logged

Heh Four..had a pretty good day.only badthing was..EVERYONE ELSE DID ALSO..hahaha..I made a pretty good bit today but only moved up just a little bit..but we are still moving in the right direction again...I put my stocks in yesterday afternoon and when the market closed..I sold all 4 of them..so after the market closed today they are gone..so now I have to run me something for Friday....good luck Four..I hope you are still doing pretty good..!!!!

$1.179M
                        Total Portfolio Value*
                        Top 20.9%
                        Game Rank*
                        107225th
                        Game Rank Position*
                        32,681 (2.9%)
                        Gain/Loss, Intraday
                        32,681 (2.9%)
                        Gain/Loss, Weekly*
                        178,827 (17.9%)
                        Gain/Loss, Overall*
                        *As of 12/30/08 at 4pm EST. Weekly and Overall Gain/Loss is calculated daily after market close.

mississippi
                          United States
                          Member #34478
                          March 3, 2006
                          5903 Posts
                          Posted: January 2, 2009, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

Heh Four..I had my best day yet today..but with the market closing up good today I didnt move up very much today..I made 54 thousand dollars today..man I wish I did have a million dollars of my own money to play in the market..hahaha...Good luck to us both this next week...

$1.233M
                          Total Portfolio Value*
                          Top 21.1%
                          Game Rank*
                          108389th
                          Game Rank Position*
                          54,345 (4.6%)
                          Gain/Loss, Intraday
                          87,026 (7.6%)
                          Gain/Loss, Weekly*
                          233,172 (23.3%)
                          Gain/Loss, Overall*
                          *As of 1/2/09 at 4pm EST. Weekly and Overall Gain/Loss is calculated daily after market close.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                            MD
                            United States
                            Member #1701
                            June 18, 2003
                            8360 Posts
                            Posted: January 3, 2009, 11:53 am - IP Logged

lotterybraker glad to see your pulling ahead we got about 4 weeks to go to the end. I'll never make the top 100 unless lots of people bail on the game. Yea it sure is fun playing with somebody's else's money. LOL

$1.492M
                            Total Portfolio Value*
                            Top 5.0%
                            Game Rank*
                            25593rd
                            Game Rank Position*
                            71,264 (5.0%)
                            Gain/Loss, Intraday
                            157,384 (11.8%)
                            Gain/Loss, Weekly*
                            492,345 (49.2%)
                            Gain/Loss, Overall*
                            *As of 1/2/09 at 4pm EST. Weekly and Overall Gain/Loss is calculated daily after market close.
                              mississippi
                              United States
                              Member #34478
                              March 3, 2006
                              5903 Posts
                              Posted: January 3, 2009, 12:58 pm - IP Logged

Glad you are still doing Great Four..I dont think anyone will bail unless they are like in the 70 80 90 percent range..this has been a fun game to play and learn a little bit..maybe if they play again sometime this year I will be better prepared..Good Luck to you for sure..you are a lot closer to the top than I am..I wish they would have set up ..for daily trading..right now all I am doing is running 4 stocks..25% on each one TWICE A WEEK..put them in run them and sell them right after they run..so it is just about 2 times a week is what I am playing..

since the contest started eventhough I was a little late getting started I am up like 230 thousand for playing 2 times a week..some days when the market had good days back to back I had wished I had left my picks in..but I am still experimenting..hahaha

I have been thinking about this and came to this conclusion..why do people BUY AND HOLD for..?..if a stock closes up 364 days a year 1 cent..then they are a head..and on the last day the stock just happens to close - 3.65 cents..now they are in the hole for the entire year..all it takes is just one or 2 bad days through out the entire year and those few days can keep you from making any money on that stock for the entire year..I may be looking at that wrong...I still say hit and run is the way to go..hahaha..find something that is due to close up..buy it..when it closes up sell and find something else..that is the strategy I have been using..I do want to learn more about currency trading..I am thinking the pay off on that is better right?..or you can lose more..hahaha