Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Random Lottery..Random Stock Market

Topic closed. 101 replies. Last post 8 years ago by lotterybraker.

Page 4 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
four4me's avatar - gate1
MD
United States
Member #1701
June 18, 2003
8360 Posts
Posted: January 3, 2009, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

lotterybraker said: I still say hit and run is the way to go

Yea in the real world it's day trading but for the game it's suicide unless your plan is to purchase stock on the same day you sell of your old stock, for the next day and it makes more money.

The game is based on buying stock that makes money the more the better low dollar stocks will have the better return at the end of the day than big money stock. Unless a big money stock grows like 10 or more bucks a share. You can make a lot more money if you have 100,000 or more shares of low dollar stocks than if you have 300 big money shares.

When CNBC ran the first game lots of people went with Revlon which had a stock selling price of 3 to 5 cents on any given day. You could purchase a million dollars of it. When the Revlon went up by the second week you had enough earned money to invest in other stock that combined with the bonus bucks gave people and edge on the game. The when CNBC had the second game version they split the stock you could buy in increments of 25% total held stock. Made it a lot harder to earn money you had to have some kind of inside edge to earn money then.

This time around is the same as the second version of the game. On cnbc's home page the list the low dollar stock people in the game are using. While i don't use those stocks for my portfolio i have similar low dollar stock.

Playing this game to advance is nothing like real trading because you can't buy and sell in real time. People who are winning this game are playing heavily with the games stock market and the money exchange portion of the game also.

CNBC will never run this game in real time because their computer servers couldn't handle the work load that would be placed on them. They can barely keep up with the game as it is now.

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8360 Posts
    Posted: January 6, 2009, 11:33 pm - IP Logged

I slamed the games market this week, so far big gains, I bought some more stock today i am 100% vested. No cash left in the hold. So if the marked stumbles so will my position. I never thought i would get this far.  

$1.643MTop 3.4%17407th
    Total Portfolio Value*Game Rank*Game Rank Position*
    112,318 (7.3%)150,606 (10.1%)642,951 (64.3%)
    Gain/Loss, IntradayGain/Loss, Weekly*Gain/Loss, Overall*
    *As of 1/6/09 at 4pm EST. Weekly and Overall Gain/Loss is calculated daily after market close.
      lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
      mississippi
      United States
      Member #34478
      March 3, 2006
      5903 Posts
      Posted: January 7, 2009, 1:36 pm - IP Logged

I slamed the games market this week, so far big gains, I bought some more stock today i am 100% vested. No cash left in the hold. So if the marked stumbles so will my position. I never thought i would get this far.  

$1.643MTop 3.4%17407th
      112,318 (7.3%)150,606 (10.1%)642,951 (64.3%)
      *As of 1/6/09 at 4pm EST. Weekly and Overall Gain/Loss is calculated daily after market close.

Four...that is AWESOME!!!!!..only thing to say about that..that is AWESOME..you are doing very well..I made a little money Tuesday and sold my stocks..I dont have anything running today..will run some for Thursday if I can find something I think will be up Thursday with all the bad news..

$1.253M
      Total Portfolio Value*
      Top 23.3%
      Game Rank*
      120516th
      Game Rank Position*
      0 (0.0%)
      Gain/Loss, Intraday
      19,662 (1.6%)
      Gain/Loss, Weekly*
      252,834 (25.3%)
      Gain/Loss, Overall*

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8360 Posts
        Posted: January 7, 2009, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

lotterybraker, Thanks for your kind remarks.

My stats are about to change for the worst looks like the stock market is drowning today if it doesn't pick up by 4 pm I'll go in the hole. And it's a situation where dumping the stock won't help. Absolutely nothing i can do except hope tomorrow the stock market recovers and pulls ahead.

When the game is over I'll try and explain how i made it this far. Will also post the stock i have for the game.

mississippi
          United States
          Member #34478
          March 3, 2006
          5903 Posts
          Posted: January 7, 2009, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

heh four..I saw the NEWSFLASH this morning on CNBC on Monsanto..I knew that baby was GOING WAY UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP..but didnt do me anygood to put it in this morning it would not have run it..I have learned ONETHING for sure...the market  seems to move on NEWS more than anything..good or bad..or maybe that is just the way it is since the crisis started..

No guarantee on these but I am going to run 25 % on all four of these for Thursday

GNW

Pfizer

Dow

Apple

These are what showed in my workouts..so this is most likely what I will run tomorrow ..win or lose..hahaha

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            8360 Posts
            Posted: January 7, 2009, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

I don't have any stock i use for the game that cost more than 25 bucks to start with. If it earned more than that then it's OK

Think about how the game is set up you get a million free dollars. plus any daily bonus bucks You can only buy 25% of any one stock or about $250,000 worth. So the more stock you can buy for the bucks you have to work with is the general idea if you buy google at 320.00 a share divided by 250,000 = 781 shares if they earn a nickle you make 39.50

but if you bought glg for 2.94 divided by 250,000 = 85034 shares if they earn a nickle you make 4251.70

So the cheaper the stock is the more shares you have and the bigger the return. While google is a great stock to own in the real world of marketing it's not a great pick for the game. The premise of the game is to earn lots of money every day hopefully.

By the same token if they lose money the cheap stock will bring you down The idea is to not buy cheap stocks that don't perform well.

mississippi
              United States
              Member #34478
              March 3, 2006
              5903 Posts
              Posted: January 7, 2009, 3:38 pm - IP Logged

yeah..I got scared and cut those other four for tomorrow..hahaha..yeah you are right about the cheap stocks..but it presents the same problem..knowing which one will close up..I have found a few cheap stocks that you couldnt even play in the game..I think the market will bounce back tomorrow after the NEWS CONFERENCE at 11:00 by Obama..I hope so anyway..if not the stocks I changed to will beat me down tomorrow..good luck the rest of the week Four...

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8360 Posts
                Posted: January 7, 2009, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

I also think it will bounce back tomorrow.

My portfolio took a hit money wise but my game position increased. Maybe I'll win a CNBC portfolio contestant booby prize tee shirt if i get in the top 10,000 LOL

$1.614MTop 2.9%15036th
                -29,356 (-1.8%)121,250 (8.1%)613,595 (61.4%)
                *As of 1/7/09 at 4pm EST. Weekly and Overall Gain/Loss is calculated daily after market close.
                  mississippi
                  United States
                  Member #34478
                  March 3, 2006
                  5903 Posts
                  Posted: January 8, 2009, 8:31 am - IP Logged

I also think it will bounce back tomorrow.

My portfolio took a hit money wise but my game position increased. Maybe I'll win a CNBC portfolio contestant booby prize tee shirt if i get in the top 10,000 LOL

$1.614MTop 2.9%15036th
                  -29,356 (-1.8%)121,250 (8.1%)613,595 (61.4%)
                  *As of 1/7/09 at 4pm EST. Weekly and Overall Gain/Loss is calculated daily after market close.

That is still doing GREAT FOUR...Very great indeed..I moved up yesterday myself and I didnt even have anything running because of the big drop in the market..I am back in the teens again..so I am still moving in the right direction..a little at a time..hahaha..I decided to run 5 stocks today to try and off set a few in case they close down..good luck to us both today...

$1.253M
                  Total Portfolio Value*
                  Top 19.6%
                  Game Rank*
                  101519th
                  Game Rank Position*
                  0 (0.0%)
                  Gain/Loss, Intraday
                  19,662 (1.6%)
                  Gain/Loss, Weekly*
                  252,834 (25.3%)
                  Gain/Loss, Overall*

mississippi
                    United States
                    Member #34478
                    March 3, 2006
                    5903 Posts
                    Posted: January 8, 2009, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

Four..I made a little money today..and Little is the key word...hahaha,..lost a little position on those stocks..glad I ran 5 stocks today instead of 4..the 5th one off set my losses today and got me into the green..

$1.255M
                    Total Portfolio Value*
                    Top 20.6%
                    Game Rank*
                    106938th
                    Game Rank Position*
                    2,523 (0.2%)
                    Gain/Loss, Intraday
                    22,184 (1.8%)
                    Gain/Loss, Weekly*
                    255,356 (25.5%)
                    Gain/Loss, Overall*
                    *As of 1/8/09 at 4pm EST. Weekly and Overall Gain/Loss is calculated daily after market close.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                      MD
                      United States
                      Member #1701
                      June 18, 2003
                      8360 Posts
                      Posted: January 9, 2009, 12:17 am - IP Logged

I think a lot of people took a hit today, the news spouted off about the economy again and the stock marked plunged for the better part of the day i recovered some but losses and meager profits in my portfolio cause me to lose some position. I can only hope for better days. LOL

Glad to see your moving up. I take it from some of your posts that you pull out on bad days and buy on good days. If your thinking is your not losing money, pulling out is the same as selling off your stock and you take the loss no mater what. It might be a good idea to find some profitable stocks and go all in and let them ride.

Do you use any stock handlers like yahoo or google. I use this i don't know if it will work for you if you click on it

http://finance.yahoo.com/charts

type your symbols in the search feature and track your picks. Look for stocks that are moving up the scale.

$1.629MTop 3.1%16181st
                      15,059 (0.9%)136,310 (9.1%)628,654 (62.9%)
                        mississippi
                        United States
                        Member #34478
                        March 3, 2006
                        5903 Posts
                        Posted: January 9, 2009, 8:03 am - IP Logged

Yeah I am trying to catch the up days and sell on the losing days..doesnt work everytime but it has worked so far..like I said before..sometimes the stocks that I chosen to run actually was up like 2 or 3 days in a row and I had wished I would have just left them in..but right now I am trying to find the up days when I actually have stocks running..hahaha..this is one fun game to play..

I dont see how AN INDIVIDUAL doing his or hers on homework can lose the bulk of their investment by trading every day or every other day..I mean I get the idea of picking bad stocks and they go down and you lose money..but your initial investment, well most of it ,will always be there unless your stock goes to zero

The onething I like the most is this..THE DATA is free and accurate..you dont have CEO's say well you know what..The data we have on what our stock has done past 4 days..you dont really need that..if you want to buy our stock, buy it..now how many people would actually buy a stock if they were not allowed to look at the data and see what the stock has been doing..my bet would be..Not to many..

I actually left my 5 stocks in for an extra day today..if the jobs report comes in bad this morning , we all might take a bad beat down today..hahaha..Good Luck today Four...

mississippi
                          United States
                          Member #34478
                          March 3, 2006
                          5903 Posts
                          Posted: January 9, 2009, 8:55 pm - IP Logged

Yeah I am trying to catch the up days and sell on the losing days..doesnt work everytime but it has worked so far..like I said before..sometimes the stocks that I chosen to run actually was up like 2 or 3 days in a row and I had wished I would have just left them in..but right now I am trying to find the up days when I actually have stocks running..hahaha..this is one fun game to play..

I dont see how AN INDIVIDUAL doing his or hers on homework can lose the bulk of their investment by trading every day or every other day..I mean I get the idea of picking bad stocks and they go down and you lose money..but your initial investment, well most of it ,will always be there unless your stock goes to zero

The onething I like the most is this..THE DATA is free and accurate..you dont have CEO's say well you know what..The data we have on what our stock has done past 4 days..you dont really need that..if you want to buy our stock, buy it..now how many people would actually buy a stock if they were not allowed to look at the data and see what the stock has been doing..my bet would be..Not to many..

I actually left my 5 stocks in for an extra day today..if the jobs report comes in bad this morning , we all might take a bad beat down today..hahaha..Good Luck today Four...

I wish now that I hadnt left those 5 stocks in because I did take a bad beat down..hahaha..I hope you did pretty good today Four..but with my rank not changing much after that bad beat...I think MANY OTHERS got bent over the desk today...that damn jobs report came in bad and the market went to crap...

$1.220M
                          Total Portfolio Value*
                          Top 22.1%
                          Game Rank*
                          115171st
                          Game Rank Position*
                          -35,428 (-2.8%)
                          Gain/Loss, Intraday
                          -13,243 (-1.1%)
                          Gain/Loss, Weekly*
                          219,929 (22.0%)
                          Gain/Loss, Overall*
                          *As of 1/9/09 at 4pm EST. Weekly and Overall Gain/Loss is calculated daily after market close.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                            MD
                            United States
                            Member #1701
                            June 18, 2003
                            8360 Posts
                            Posted: January 9, 2009, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

Yea i noticed the beat down. I have 7 stocks in play --- 6 went down the toilet but one stayed a float it's earned interest kept me from losing more thousands than i did.

And you must be right the big players took major hits cause my rank improved. I just let my stocks ride if they fail a couple times they seem to bounce back if they fail miserably for three days or more in a row then i off them and get something else.

Hope you do better next week.

$1.621MTop 2.9%15011st
                            -7,846 (-0.5%)128,464 (8.6%)620,808 (62.1%)
                            *As of 1/9/09 at 4pm EST. Weekly and Overall Gain/Loss is calculated daily after market close.   
                              mississippi
                              United States
                              Member #34478
                              March 3, 2006
                              5903 Posts
                              Posted: January 12, 2009, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

Heh Four..I didnt even have anything running for today and moved back into the teens..the market took another bite out of some people today..I have 4 stocks running for tomorrow..I may get paid back..hahaha

$1.220M
                              Total Portfolio Value*
                              Top 17.9%
                              Game Rank*
                              93456th
                              Game Rank Position*
                              0 (0.0%)
                              Gain/Loss, Intraday
                              0 (0.0%)
                              Gain/Loss, Weekly*
                              219,929 (22.0%)
                              Gain/Loss, Overall*
                              *As of 1/12/09 at 4pm EST. Weekly and Overall Gain/Loss is calculated daily after market close.