Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 8:42 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Random Lottery..Random Stock Market

Topic closed. 101 replies. Last post 8 years ago by lotterybraker.

Page 6 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
four4me's avatar - gate1
MD
United States
Member #1701
June 18, 2003
8366 Posts
Posted: January 21, 2009, 12:11 am - IP Logged

heh Four..are those indexes that SHORT the Financials and Real Estate..is that how you short sectors..by buying an index that thinks a sector is going down?

By The way..YOU ARE IN great SHAPE...you have a great Chance!!!!

I absolutely know nothing about them...... Jap wrote in an earlier post about them. I saw the index figures and checked the symbols on the graph chart and they looked good so i bought them. I intend to look into them further and see what the heck the are or represent as holdings are concerned.

On the news that Obama said it will take some time to heal the market, i noticed everything dropped like a hot potato but those 2 stocks i had pulled ahead big time. The other day one of them took a major hit and went down big time. I should have sold them before 4 pm on Tuesday to late now.

To play this game and move ahead you have to find the stocks that make money daily, weekly, and monthly. You have to throw common sense to the wind. Because the rules of the game aren't like real life investments. One would never buy 250 grand worth of shares and dump them the next day if they gained a buck in the real world. But for the game you would.

To get in the top ten i would need to earn 3 million dollars by Friday and that ain't going to happen.

Good luck today! 

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
    JAP69's avatar - alas
    South Carolina
    United States
    Member #6
    November 4, 2001
    8790 Posts
    Posted: January 21, 2009, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

Hi Stock players.

Do they have this fantasy portfolio game regulary?

I went to the link just now that was posted on page one here. Was reading the rules and prizes that are awarded to the finalist for the fantasy trading game.
    Got some nice prizes there too.

Good luck in your trading.

John

MAGA

lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
      mississippi
      United States
      Member #34478
      March 3, 2006
      5903 Posts
      Posted: January 21, 2009, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

Jap69,,,They have done this game before..not sure how often they play it..it is fun to play though..I dont know Jack Squat about the Stock Market except what I have learned watching CNBC..which isnt much..Four has played before..he is doing VERY WELL this time around..I am in the top 20% ish range..which to me seems ok considering my Knowledge of the Market..or lack there of , I should say..took a bad beat down yesterday..didnt have anything running today and moved from 195 to 23 %..dont have anything running for tomorrow either..I have been busy past 2 weeks TESTING A NEW PIC 3 run and it has CONSUMED all my free time..and I am still not finished researching it..I hope to be finish maybe another week..you can still play the game..its the best % move in one week..all you need to do is win just ONE WEEK  to qualify for the big bucks..good luck to you and Four the rest of the way..

$1.123M
      Total Portfolio Value*
      Top 23.3%
      Game Rank*
      122513rd
      Game Rank Position*
      0 (0.0%)
      Gain/Loss, Intraday
      -171,301 (-13.2%)
      Gain/Loss, Weekly*
      123,304 (12.3%)
      Gain/Loss, Overall*
      *As of 1/21/09 at 4pm EST. Weekly and Overall Gain/Loss is calculated daily after market close.

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8366 Posts
        Posted: January 21, 2009, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

lotterybraker I got myself in a pickle by not selling off those two stocks yesterday I KNEW IT they went down hard and cost me plenty. So unless they pick up Thursday I'm toast again. Apparently mortgage banking picked up and the shorts were sold off as i said I'm not sure how they work or if there a good investment for the long haul in the game or real life investing, but they did look good on paper graphs. Live and learn i guess. 

Feeling Bash

Portfolio name (Big time) winner/looser

$1.411MTop 5.7%29822nd
        Total Portfolio Value*Game Rank*Game Rank Position*
        -196,384 (-12.2%)-86,888 (-5.8%)410,700 (41.1%)
        Gain/Loss, IntradayGain/Loss, Weekly*Gain/Loss, Overall*
        *As of 1/21/09 at 4pm EST. Weekly and Overall Gain/Loss is calculated daily after market close.
          four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8366 Posts
          Posted: January 21, 2009, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

Hi Stock players.

Do they have this fantasy portfolio game regulary?

I went to the link just now that was posted on page one here. Was reading the rules and prizes that are awarded to the finalist for the fantasy trading game.
          Got some nice prizes there too.

Good luck in your trading.

John

Jap the game is about over, Friday is the end. Unless people make the finals they get one more week to play. 
          This is the third time they ran the game that i know of. Also this is the third time i played the game. Reading the rules are essential to playing the game, it's way different than real life investing because you cant buy stock in the morning and sell it off in the afternoon for a profit. The stock in the game isn't tallied until after the market closes you almost have to buy stock today for tomorrows profit's or losses.
          If you like i will send you a reminder when the next games is activated again. My guess is it will happen within the next 3 months possibly April.
            JAP69's avatar - alas
            South Carolina
            United States
            Member #6
            November 4, 2001
            8790 Posts
            Posted: January 22, 2009, 10:27 am - IP Logged

Thanks stock players.

Sounds time consuming to search out your buys wether they will go up or down on a given day.

Pretty much dealing with news reports and the buy and sell attitude of daily traders in the market.

Looks like you are playing the game of a day trader.

Think I will pass on that game.

John

MAGA

four4me's avatar - gate1
              MD
              United States
              Member #1701
              June 18, 2003
              8366 Posts
              Posted: January 22, 2009, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

Thanks stock players.

Sounds time consuming to search out your buys wether they will go up or down on a given day.

Pretty much dealing with news reports and the buy and sell attitude of daily traders in the market.

Looks like you are playing the game of a day trader.

Think I will pass on that game.

John

John you do not have to play every day. You have 5 portfolio's to work with you can set up a portfolio and let it run make changes or not to it at your leisure. Only draw back is if you want sell off a stock then you have to get it in buy 4 pm on the day you want to close the account. There are daily and weekly bonus questions to answer with answers available on the web bonus questions are worth 2 grand at the most it would take 5 minutes to answer all 5 plus one weekly quiz question.

There are free stock screeners that come with the game and a few features i didn't even bother with.

Yahoo, AOL, google, and many other websites have stock charts. The NYSE has a website with all the movers and looser listed daily.

The only hard thing you have to do is type in the stock symbols you want to play.

Now if a person wanted to play this game to try and win they must have some kind of stock savvy knowledge of stocks and what to play.

If you sign up and check the box remind me they will let you know a week or two before the next game begins so you can prepare yourself ahead of time and set up your stock screeners.  

mississippi
                United States
                Member #34478
                March 3, 2006
                5903 Posts
                Posted: January 22, 2009, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

Jap69,,,They have done this game before..not sure how often they play it..it is fun to play though..I dont know Jack Squat about the Stock Market except what I have learned watching CNBC..which isnt much..Four has played before..he is doing VERY WELL this time around..I am in the top 20% ish range..which to me seems ok considering my Knowledge of the Market..or lack there of , I should say..took a bad beat down yesterday..didnt have anything running today and moved from 195 to 23 %..dont have anything running for tomorrow either..I have been busy past 2 weeks TESTING A NEW PIC 3 run and it has CONSUMED all my free time..and I am still not finished researching it..I hope to be finish maybe another week..you can still play the game..its the best % move in one week..all you need to do is win just ONE WEEK  to qualify for the big bucks..good luck to you and Four the rest of the way..

$1.123M
                Total Portfolio Value*
                Top 23.3%
                Game Rank*
                122513rd
                Game Rank Position*
                0 (0.0%)
                Gain/Loss, Intraday
                -171,301 (-13.2%)
                Gain/Loss, Weekly*
                123,304 (12.3%)
                Gain/Loss, Overall*

Heh Four..sorry you took that bad beat down the other day..I didnt have anything running yesterday or today..I moved up a little bit today..went from 23 down to 20 %...I put 4 stocks in for Friday..no research since the game is almost over..I just found 4 cheap stocks and put them in...hahahaha..good luck to you tomorrow..

$1.123M
                Total Portfolio Value*
                Top 21.0%
                Game Rank*
                110952nd
                Game Rank Position*
                0 (0.0%)
                Gain/Loss, Intraday
                -171,301 (-13.2%)
                Gain/Loss, Weekly*
                123,304 (12.3%)
                Gain/Loss, Overall*
                *As of 1/22/09 at 4pm EST. Weekly and Overall Gain/Loss is calculated daily after market close

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

four4me's avatar - gate1
                  MD
                  United States
                  Member #1701
                  June 18, 2003
                  8366 Posts
                  Posted: January 22, 2009, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

Thanks LB. I'm fried the market rose and fell, midday i would have cough up and passed my high earnings for the week. The game is a ll but over for us. As i stated way back when i didn't expect to get this far. It was fun.

$1.478MTop 3.4%18171st
                  67,631 (4.8%)-19,257 (-1.3%)478,331 (47.8%)
                  *As of 1/22/09 at 4pm EST. Weekly and Overall Gain/Loss is calculated daily after market close.

When you say I didnt have anything running yesterday or today..I moved up a little bit today. Are you saying you moved your slider bar over near zero, or just left the portfolio alone.

Overall based on your performance i think we learned something and you moved along as well as to be expected considering the market didn't cooperate one bit throughout the course of this game it was like a teaser of what could actually happen if real money was involved.

Every time they ran this game it was during a volatile time where the market was concerned it almost as if they used it as a pre cursor for their own gains as the stocks the top players had seem to be the stock that were the most traded in the real world as well as the game.

When i was younger i always wanted to learn about stocks i borrowed a few books from the library but they were of no help to me. As whats going on in the market seems to be a well kept secret or they are heavily into inside trading which is illegal but we know it happens every day. LOL

I'd give anything to sit down with a real broker who knows their stuff and learn the trade and pick their brain.

mississippi
                    United States
                    Member #34478
                    March 3, 2006
                    5903 Posts
                    Posted: January 22, 2009, 10:54 pm - IP Logged

Yeah..I didnt have anything in my portfolio so some people must not have played or the stocks they had running lost money because I moved up a little bit and I didnt have any stocks in my portfolio at all..but I put 4 in for Friday....yes it was very fun to play..I hope they do it again because I really learned a little bit..VERY LITTLE BIT..but it was very interesting...heh..if you find out when they are going to play again drop me a line here at LP so I can get ready..I got started late this time and played in the VERY DARK at the beginning not knowing anything at all..good luck tomorrow Four..hope you do well!!!!

four4me's avatar - gate1
                      MD
                      United States
                      Member #1701
                      June 18, 2003
                      8366 Posts
                      Posted: January 23, 2009, 1:40 am - IP Logged

People who signed up to play will probably get a reminder about a week or two befor the next game runs. In either case i'll pm you when i find out maybe we can develope some kind of glossary of terms.

You have to set up all your porfolioes and play the bonus bucks get a head start and a jump on the players. While you dont have to run all your porfolioes at the same time it helps to have them all because of the bonus buck are applied to them and if one profolio goes under you can start another.

here are the stocks i ran/worked with.

Current Holdingsas of 1/23/09 at 1:23am EST
                      % of Portfolio

Market Value
                      Shares
                      as of 1/22/09
                      Symbol 
                      Company Name 
                      Intraday price
                      Intraday value
                        Intraday Change  Held  at 4pm EST
                      AMR
                      AMR Corp
                      $7.73 $120,095 -3,88415,536.209%
                      IVN
                      Ivanhoe Mines Ltd
                      $2.94 $27,661 -949,408.502%
                      TE
                      TECO Energy Inc
                      $11.87 $13,498 341,137.201%
                      VLO
                      Valero Energy Corp
                      $23.30 $13,659 -956586.21%
                      VVC
                      Vectren Corp
                      $25.36 $15,865 6625.61%
                      LCC
                      US Airways Group Inc
                      $7.65 $284,087 4,08537,135.6021%
                      SRS
                      ProShares UltraShort Real...
                      $62.76 $27,567 2,271439.22%
                      SKF
                      ProShares UltraShort...
                      $167.66 $27,567 2,509164.42%
                      FIG
                      Fortress Investment Group...
                      $1.52 $26,127 -4,81317,188.502%
                        mississippi
                        United States
                        Member #34478
                        March 3, 2006
                        5903 Posts
                        Posted: January 23, 2009, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

Heh Four...all I did was use what I know about Random..I just applied it to the market..of course I didnt have or use 18 years worth of data to find something to play or I believe I could have done much better than what I did do..if that had beem my OWN MILLION DOLLARS..I would still be far ahead because I could have sold out on some of them bad beat down days, which I figure cost me at least 250k..I had a lot of fun playing for sure..I never did find those stock screener things you were talking about..charts that show stocks that are moving..I clicked on that link you posted but my computer wouldnt let me see it..but no big deal..I think Random is going to work just fine when ALL THE BAD NEWS stops coming in..I mean WOW..everyday..least little bit of bad news is moving the market big time..

In Theory..Random SHOULD be able to CIRCLE all the news bad or good to give a look at the future of the Market..I just dont have all the data I need to get the look..I think I heard them say on CNBC that there were something like 5500 public trading companies...THATS ALOT OF DATA to sift through..its like the pic 3..do you look at the entire drawing history..or do you just look at first position..second position..or the 3rd position..do you play doubles only..do you play series only..etc...so in order for random to be accurate you HAVE TO LOOK at all the data not just a part here and there..

I will tell you something else I noticed also..you talking about insider trading..you know good and damn well that crap goes on..since November since I have been tinkering with this..I noticed MANY TIMES..that before the news brakes on some of them companies..that there stock will go up before the news brakes..especially when one company is buying another..now..how do you explain that the company that is being bought, that there stock is up above normal before the news brakes..I think them CEO's..calls there firends and tells them heh..we are going to buy so and so...I believe there is some serious cheating going on in the market..I maybe just talking out of my ass since I dont know that much about the market..but it sure looks like some cheating going on in some cases..Because I dont believe the PUBLIC has access to the same info as all of them traders...maybe that is why they want you to get a Broker instead of doing it yourself..hahaha

four4me's avatar - gate1
                          MD
                          United States
                          Member #1701
                          June 18, 2003
                          8366 Posts
                          Posted: January 23, 2009, 2:29 pm - IP Logged

The stock screener's were on the contest home page there were two of them also when you edited your stocks and it said confirm edits there was a link to click that said import your positions---- this is a stock tool software program.

To play this game and win one of the ten prizes you have to research stocks and find stock that over the long haul make money daily weekly and monthly. While some stocks go up and down some stock stay within a range on the graphs you look for a stock that is climbing like last year under amour UA did very well and so did potash POT but since the crash all stock except a few went down. It was those rising stocks that the top players found and they had to use screener's and stock tickers to do it. All kinds of stock tools are on the Internet.

As i said earlier AOL, Yahoo, and Google, all have finance charts with stocks. New York stock exchange has a website with all the stocks listed foreign and domestic. While all stock aren't accepted in the game one only needs to enter the symbols or look it up on the games website eligible stocks.

I'm selling all my stock in the game today.

mississippi
                            United States
                            Member #34478
                            March 3, 2006
                            5903 Posts
                            Posted: January 24, 2009, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

Four..this looks like where I ended up at the end..finished in the teens...so..that makes me feel a little better ...was hopeing to do a little better than that but I will take it..I hope you won the last weeks prize and get to carry on....

$1.156M
                            Total Portfolio Value*
                            Top 18.9%
                            Game Rank*
                            99947th
                            Game Rank Position*
                            32,622 (2.9%)
                            Gain/Loss, Intraday
                            -138,680 (-10.7%)
                            Gain/Loss, Weekly*
                            155,926 (15.6%)
                            Gain/Loss, Overall*
                            *As of 1/23/09 at 4pm EST. Weekly and Overall Gain/Loss is calculated daily after market close.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                              MD
                              United States
                              Member #1701
                              June 18, 2003
                              8366 Posts
                              Posted: January 24, 2009, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

LB you did good for a first timer.

I doubt i made the finals.

portfolio name Big time

$1.501MTop 3.7%19512nd
                              0 (0.0%)-19,257 (-1.3%)501,407 (50.1%)
                              *As of 1/23/09 at 4pm EST. Weekly and Overall Gain/Loss is calculated daily after market close.