Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is it wrong to...?

Topic closed. 60 replies. Last post 8 years ago by yvi700.

Page 1 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
Kennesaw, GA
United States
Member #62138
June 18, 2008
1413 Posts
Posted: November 27, 2008, 8:22 am - IP Logged

Lets say you buy some QP tickets for the Fantasy 5 or mega millions for a friend or relative, is it wrong to write down the numbers for the "record" or even play play them for yourself? Tell me what you think!!!!

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
    Member #47420
    November 4, 2006
    3930 Posts
    Posted: November 27, 2008, 11:38 am - IP Logged

Your friend or relative should write the numbers down and you should want them to to be safe...I use to buy tickets for dog and horse track bettors and also lottery but will never do it again..To much to worry about and trouble..Good luck..

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10345 Posts
      Posted: November 27, 2008, 11:43 am - IP Logged

No, not wrong at all, especially playing them for yourself also.

My wife and I have a friend that we play Mega Millions with and  we finally talked into each of us playing the same ticket, because if it was to hit we'd each have a ticket to cash and wouldn't have to invilve lawyers and a trust, etc...

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Shawn67's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
        Member #45970
        September 1, 2006
        4763 Posts
        Posted: November 27, 2008, 11:59 am - IP Logged

I personally don't see a problem with it.

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3474 Posts
          Posted: November 28, 2008, 2:08 am - IP Logged

What does "wrong" mean, and what would be your intent?  There's nothing wrong with wanting to know whether or not they won, but if you think they owe you something when they win you're definitely wrong. You did them a favor, and that's that. As for   playing the numbers from their QP's, they have no real ownership of the numbers, but my opinion is that deliberately choosing to use the same numbers can reasonably be seen as an attempt to claim a share of any jackpot, even though you're not entitled to it. How would you feel if they bought tickets for you and then played the same numbers? If you think there's anything wrong with that then it's clearly wrong when you do it.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #56506
            November 21, 2007
            6537 Posts
            Posted: November 28, 2008, 2:26 am - IP Logged

Lets say you buy some QP tickets for the Fantasy 5 or mega millions for a friend or relative, is it wrong to write down the numbers for the "record" or even play play them for yourself? Tell me what you think!!!!

I don't see anything wrong with playing the same numbers. However, since they are your friends/family, you should probably be up front with them and tell them that you decided to play those numbers as well.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
              Kunming
              China
              Member #57910
              January 23, 2008
              3626 Posts
              Posted: November 28, 2008, 5:11 am - IP Logged

I don't see anything wrong with playing the same numbers. However, since they are your friends/family, you should probably be up front with them and tell them that you decided to play those numbers as well.

I agree with Scary. Be upfront otherwise it you look sneaky. If they mind you playing there numbers be it QP or others then maybe you shouldn't play the numbers for them.

Play to win!

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                Dump Water Florida
                United States
                Member #380
                June 5, 2002
                3102 Posts
                Posted: November 28, 2008, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

It's a betrayal of trust.  Ask their permission before playing their numbers.

BobP

mjwinsmith's avatar - moon

United States
                  Member #391
                  June 8, 2002
                  16061 Posts
                  Posted: November 28, 2008, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

It's a betrayal of trust.  Ask their permission before playing their numbers.

BobP

If you play QP (Quick Picks) for friends and family then indeed those are THEIR numbers, they gave you the money for them and the COMPUTER spit out the numbers for THEIR payment. No, you don't have the RIGHT to play those numbers for yourself, but you have every right to purchase YOUR OWN QP [Quick Picks].

The only way it would be right is if you advised your friends and family that you are shady and will play their QP numbers for yourself.

>Michael

charmed7's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
                    MICHIGAN
                    United States
                    Member #65282
                    September 22, 2008
                    1992 Posts
                    Posted: November 28, 2008, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

No its not wrong, wrong would be if you got the tickets, and they

were winners and told them you forgot to play.  I had a friend

that happen to.

Just suppose u did purchase the tickets and followed through with

playing the same numbers, and one of the tickets was a winner,

a real friend would not b angry. That way u will have your own

money, and wouldn't be sitting there with your tongue hanging

wondering if they are gonna share some of wealth.

mjwinsmith's avatar - moon

United States
                      Member #391
                      June 8, 2002
                      16061 Posts
                      Posted: November 28, 2008, 2:30 pm - IP Logged

No its not wrong, wrong would be if you got the tickets, and they

were winners and told them you forgot to play.  I had a friend

that happen to.

Just suppose u did purchase the tickets and followed through with

playing the same numbers, and one of the tickets was a winner,

a real friend would not b angry. That way u will have your own

money, and wouldn't be sitting there with your tongue hanging

wondering if they are gonna share some of wealth.

You are saying that, if you gave a friend $1.00 to purchase a megamillion Quick Pick, and they played for you, and they also played the same numbers and come to find out that let's say the Jackpot was $500,000,000 that you would not be mad at only getting $250,000,000.00!  Yeah Right! The Jack Pot was yours and yours only. When your so called friend purchased the ticket and paid your dollar those are your numbers and yours alone.

The only way I could see this happenning is if your friend said they would SHARE the prize with you, then you have the right to play the numbers on your own ticket.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                        Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #56506
                        November 21, 2007
                        6537 Posts
                        Posted: November 28, 2008, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

You are saying that, if you gave a friend $1.00 to purchase a megamillion Quick Pick, and they played for you, and they also played the same numbers and come to find out that let's say the Jackpot was $500,000,000 that you would not be mad at only getting $250,000,000.00!  Yeah Right! The Jack Pot was yours and yours only. When your so called friend purchased the ticket and paid your dollar those are your numbers and yours alone.

The only way I could see this happenning is if your friend said they would SHARE the prize with you, then you have the right to play the numbers on your own ticket.

I disagree. No one owns a set of numbers. Anyone can play any numbers they want if they buy a ticket. If you have someone else buy tickets for you, you risk the chance that they may play those same numbers. If you have a fear that someone may take "your" numbers and share "your" jackpot, then don't have someone else buy your tickets.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10345 Posts
                          Posted: November 28, 2008, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

mjwinsmith

You are saying that, if you gave a friend $1.00 to purchase amegamillion Quick Pick, and they played for you, and they also playedthe same numbers and come to find out that let's say the Jackpot was$500,000,000 that you would not be mad at only getting $250,000,000.00!

I agree with That Scary Chick in disagreeing with you on this.

"...Mad at getting ONLY $250,000"? Who would be mad at getting "Only" $250,000,000" ?

That kind of mentality is what makes the state and multi-state lotteries know that they can keep increasing the matrixes and 'Joe and Jill Greedy', the lottery players, will continue to play, no matter what.

To bring the scenario back to anyone buying the ticklet for someone else, hey, you know what, if they don't want anyone else playing "their numbers" (there is no such rthing by the way) they can get their own tickets.

As for "their numbers", what's not to say someone else somewhere played the same  umbers, or someone got those numbers as a QP?

Sets of lottery numbers don't even come close to being "intellectual property", copyrighted, trademarked, or any other such thing.

Lotto Rule "# 22"

If you don't want somone else playing the same numbers, don't ask them to play those numbers for you.

It's extremely ironic that people are talking about not wanting people to play "their numbers" on a board with such a prolific Predictions forum.

Bang Head

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                            Member #4877
                            May 30, 2004
                            5117 Posts
                            Posted: November 28, 2008, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

wow>wow>wow......myturn08:!!!!!

HAIL no>>>>......HAIL no>>>>!!!

Todd has tried 2^>>>>>explain terminial QP's

translation: (from psykomo)

IT appear's that a QP is a QP is a QP is a >>>>>QUICK-PIX!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUICK>>>>>>PICK>>>>>>>>>>>>NEW>>>>>>>>>>>>>FRIEND's>>>QP!!!

BUT,,,,,,,,yes,>>>>>>>>>>>>alway'$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

a BUTT,,,,,OUT____________DARE!!!$OMEWHERE!!!$OMEWHERE!!!$$

LOL

PSYKOMO

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                              Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: November 28, 2008, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

A gift should never have strings attached.  (I'm not talking about getting your child a puppy! I'm talking about a gift for another adult.)  If I purchased some quick picks for someone, I wouldn't even look at the numbers.

Having said that, I would never buy anyone a lottery ticket. Smiley  Just one of my "rules."