Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 3:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is it wrong to...?

Topic closed. 60 replies. Last post 8 years ago by yvi700.

Page 3 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: November 29, 2008, 2:47 am - IP Logged

I don't think the original post was about legal issues, just moral ones.   Legally, since the ticket is a bearer instrument, I doubt if any court would rule the ticket invalid, whether or not you copied the numbers from a QP.  Anyway, a good lawyer could argue that it was a big coincidence since there is really no way to prove otherwise.

What's interesting is that this thread shows why I stopped doing certain favors for people.  I used to pick up stuff at the store for neighbors, but once I bought a gallon of the wrong type of milk (like 2% instead of 1%) and was stuck with it & I don't drink milk.   Now, before anyone accuses me of going off topic, let's say someone asks you to buy a QP and doesn't like the numbers.  Do you keep the ticket?  If so and you win the jackpot, is it okay for your friend or neighbor to say "Hey, I asked you to buy that ticket for me."  Too many problems to deal with IMO.

Coin Toss, I didn't see your post since I was typing.  Yes, you pretty much said the same thing.  Nobody could prove that the numbers weren't his numbers.

mjwinsmith's avatar - moon

United States
    Member #391
    June 8, 2002
    16078 Posts
    Posted: November 29, 2008, 10:27 am - IP Logged

I don't think the original post was about legal issues, just moral ones.   Legally, since the ticket is a bearer instrument, I doubt if any court would rule the ticket invalid, whether or not you copied the numbers from a QP.  Anyway, a good lawyer could argue that it was a big coincidence since there is really no way to prove otherwise.

What's interesting is that this thread shows why I stopped doing certain favors for people.  I used to pick up stuff at the store for neighbors, but once I bought a gallon of the wrong type of milk (like 2% instead of 1%) and was stuck with it & I don't drink milk.   Now, before anyone accuses me of going off topic, let's say someone asks you to buy a QP and doesn't like the numbers.  Do you keep the ticket?  If so and you win the jackpot, is it okay for your friend or neighbor to say "Hey, I asked you to buy that ticket for me."  Too many problems to deal with IMO.

Coin Toss, I didn't see your post since I was typing.  Yes, you pretty much said the same thing.  Nobody could prove that the numbers weren't his numbers.

Thank you for your post, it just about sums up the point I was trying to make. The original post had to do with moral issues rather than a legal issue. Each and everyone of us has to deal with it according to our own core principles. I will leave it there.

mjwinsmith's avatar - moon

United States
      Member #391
      June 8, 2002
      16078 Posts
      Posted: November 29, 2008, 10:35 am - IP Logged

The difference is whether your action affects your friend's return.

If I know my friend wins Pick-3 a lot and gives me numbers to play, I would play them too, don't need to ask because my action does not harm my friend. 

Lottery is parimutuel, the prize is divided among the winners, the more who play the smaller the prize for each winner.  An honest friend asked to buy numbers would/should not be afraid to ask if it's ok to play the same numbers.  Simple to do, upfront and honest.  If you would go behind your friend's back or your friend says "no" re-examine the friendship.

The operative word is "friend" it has real world meaning far different from being asked by an aquaintance for whom you care little and annoyed you by asking.  Winning would be the likely end of whatever relationship there is between you.   

Frankly if the prize were $5 million and you played your friend's numbers without permission and you both won, I wouldn't count on the friendship lasting much longer beyond your friend finding out.  Might even make some lawyer wealthy.

BobP

Thanks BobP

Great response, I totally agree with you. A big thumbs up.

>Michael

lottalotto's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg

United States
        Member #63341
        July 26, 2008
        4 Posts
        Posted: November 29, 2008, 11:03 am - IP Logged

Personally, I think it would be easier to just keep it simple.  Let your friends purchase their own tickets.  Situations can get strange when it comes to money.  So do your own thing and let them do theirs.

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
          Dallas, TX
          United States
          Member #60284
          April 12, 2008
          3856 Posts
          Posted: November 29, 2008, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

I would not buy QP for other people, money between family and friends can get ugly. If they ask help in selecting the numbers to play, I will provide them with the tools, observations, tips and tricks for them to use on their own. Regarding to playing the same numbers as my friend's QP, I would not do it, because if we were to won that's also lost of trust between us. If I asked a friend to play QP for me, and later find out the friend also played the same numbers and won 1/2 of the jackpot I would got mad. However, if the friend asked me if they can play, I would of said sure and that would be alright.

Friendship can last a lifetime, while 350 millions will not.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10354 Posts
            Posted: November 29, 2008, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

Justxploring

"Coin Toss, I didn't see your post since I was typing.  Yes, you prettymuch said the same thing.  Nobody could prove that the numbers weren'this numbers."

Hey there, Justxploring. I think this thread is more proof of why gambling in any form should be a solo endeavor.

Very mildly related example- one night when I worked in Vegas we were playing vido games on opur breaks and all night long, no matter what game, I kept seeing the same numbers in my scores, 18, 19, 64 and 65.

Our crew got the early out and we went to the Horseshoe. I played a 4-spot on Keno with those numbers and won $400, it hit solid. I gave each guy on the crew $20 and I called it a night.

When I got to work the next night, they were cursing me out because they had each blown over $100, chasing the $20 that I gave them.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

MysteryMan424's avatar - batman22
              Pelham NY
              United States
              Member #60411
              April 16, 2008
              169 Posts
              Posted: November 29, 2008, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

The question was is it wrong to copy the quick pick numbers from a friends ticket? It would seem that the reason for that behaviour is borne out of paranoia. The purchaser's concern being the friend's quick-pick numbers could likely be the winner, therefore the purchaser would want to share in the good fortune, since they are making the purchase. There doesn't seem to be anything legally or ethically wrong with this. From the friend's perspective, if they were superstitous that the buyer would copy and play the ticket,  then they should play themself. From the buyers perspective, buying tickets for a friend or relative would burden them with having to copy and play the extra combinations, therefore they should decline the favor. If I offer a friend or relative money to play quick-picks for me, I won't mind if they play the same ticket for themself. If they gave me money to play quick-picks for them I wouldn't concern myself with thier numbers. History will show that this is all a moot point anyway since nobody wins under these conditions.

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
                Clarksville
                United States
                Member #487
                July 15, 2002
                17638 Posts
                Posted: November 29, 2008, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

If someone sends me to play numbers for them, you better believe I am going to play their numbers, too. I tell them up front so they will know. I will always remember that a lady came here and bought a 2.00 QP for a friend and didn't play the same numbers for herself.  He won 100 miliion..she won nothing.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                  Indiana
                  United States
                  Member #48725
                  January 7, 2007
                  1954 Posts
                  Posted: November 29, 2008, 6:25 pm - IP Logged

If someone sends me to play numbers for them, you better believe I am going to play their numbers, too. I tell them up front so they will know. I will always remember that a lady came here and bought a 2.00 QP for a friend and didn't play the same numbers for herself.  He won 100 miliion..she won nothing.

Which is why I play the same numbers. Me playing the same numbers no longer makes it an issue of if I should get a portion for buying them their ticket. The decision is no longer up to them to decide how much I deserve for buying their ticket. This isn't the attitude that I have for every request from a friend, but in a case where someone asks me to put them in a position where they are set for life, I want something in return. Why should that person be able to retire and buy a new house, new cars, new everything, and I still have to live paycheck to paycheck? It's not going to happen. You ask me to buy you a ticket, I'm buying a ticket with the exact same numbers.

Gonna win.Big Smile

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19831 Posts
                    Posted: November 29, 2008, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

I have no problems moral or ethical with picking up duplicates of tickets I'm buying for someone else since I would be doing them a favor and not expecting anything for my time and effort even if they won big. 

The problem I have is when going to buy tickets for myself some one gives me a dollar to pickup an extra ticket for them and says "if we win, we'll split" when they know I am buying a bunch of tickets for myself.

This happened several times when I use to travel out of state to buy PB tickets and I never took it serious since the people knew I was buying a bunch of tickets for the next two drawings for myself and they were only giving me money to buy one.  I never won anything big so there were never any problems but when the same people started pulling that same trick when I was buying MM tickets locally I started telling them to buy their own tickets because I could see a problem if I got lucky and won a decent prize.  Now I only buy tickets for myself.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                      Dump Water Florida
                      United States
                      Member #380
                      June 5, 2002
                      3104 Posts
                      Posted: November 30, 2008, 2:32 am - IP Logged

If someone asks you to buy some tickets for them and you think you might want to play their numbers, you should ask, "Do you mind if I play the same numbers?"   Simple, upfront, honest.

We are pretending this is a friend we're buying tickets for, right?  A friend you would take a bullet for, right? 

What happens the other way . . .

The drawing is held and you both have the winning numbers.  Your friend goes to bed thinking, "Maybe I won the whole prize."  And of course the spouse said, "Don't get your hopes up that high there may be other winners." And your friend said, "With crazy numbers like these I doubt it."

The next day your friend finds out there were two winners, and even more amazing they are in the same city, oh well what can you do, can't win it all.

Your friend knocks on your door to tell you the good news.

You sheepishly tell your friend you already know, because you copied the numbers and played them too.

At first your friend is glad, there is no one else your friend would rather see win.  Then it starts to sink in, the total betrayal of trust, the knife in the back aspect of what you've done.   Sure anyone could have played those same numbers, but you aren't just anyone, you are the trusted friend sent on a mission to buy tickets.  Why couldn't you simply have asked, isn't that what a true friend would do?

Now your friend is talking to a lawyer, they may not have a case, but they can tie things up for years waiting for a hearing before a judge, make you hire a lawyer to defend yourself.  What fun for the lawyers, billable hours!

You won the lottery and lost your friend, not everyone would call that a fair exchange.   BobP

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                        Indiana
                        United States
                        Member #48725
                        January 7, 2007
                        1954 Posts
                        Posted: November 30, 2008, 2:47 am - IP Logged

If someone asks you to buy some tickets for them and you think you might want to play their numbers, you should ask, "Do you mind if I play the same numbers?"   Simple, upfront, honest.

We are pretending this is a friend we're buying tickets for, right?  A friend you would take a bullet for, right? 

The drawing is held and you both have the winning numbers.  Your friend goes to bed thinking, "Maybe I won the whole prize."  And of course the spouse said, "Don't get your hopes up that high there may be other winners." And your friend said, "With crazy numbers like these I doubt it."

The next day your friend finds out there were two winners, and even more amazing they are in the same city, oh well what can you do, can't win it all.

You sheepishly tell your friend you already know, because you copied the numbers and played them too.

At first your friend is glad, there is no one else your friend would rather see win.  Then it starts to sink in, the total betrayal of trust, the knife in the back aspect of what you've done.   Sure anyone could have played those same numbers, but you aren't just anyone, you are the trusted friend sent on a mission to buy tickets.  Why couldn't you simply have asked, isn't that what a true friend would do?

Now your friend is talking to a lawyer, they may not have a case, but they can tie things up for years waiting for a hearing before a judge, make you hire a lawyer to defend yourself.  What fun for the lawyers, billable hours!

You won the lottery and lost your friend, not everyone would call that a fair exchange.   BobP

If they're really a friend, they wouldn't care. They would be happy either way. This is what it boils down to: You took your time to make sure they had a chance at winning the jackpot. Without you, they would not have won. They would still be in the gutter. I wouldn't want to be friends with someone who would get upset over something like that.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Kennesaw, GA
                          United States
                          Member #62138
                          June 18, 2008
                          1413 Posts
                          Posted: November 30, 2008, 2:58 am - IP Logged

This happened to me once. I believe PB was at $300M. I was going to the gas station to pick up my $5 QP. My neighbor asked me to buy her a $2 QP. I don't like buying tickets for other people. I don't know why she couldn't just go buy it herself. So I go into the gas station and buy my $5 QP and her $2 QP. However, since I took it upon myself to buy her a ticket, I walked over to the playslips and marked down the same 2 sets of numbers that were on her $2 ticket. I spent an extra $2 to play those numbers. When I got home, I gave her her $2 QP and kept my $7 worth of tickets.Approve

I'd like to hear opinions on this.

thats the exact senario im am talking about, or if you get it as a gift for someone, example: stocking stuffer....if they are quick picks, i dont see a problem of writing down the numbers that were randomly selected for myself..will i tell them i played it probably not...this way if they are both winners I wont feel obligated to expect something out of it, and if they offer to share i will be like, dont worry im good ;-)

Kennesaw, GA
                            United States
                            Member #62138
                            June 18, 2008
                            1413 Posts
                            Posted: November 30, 2008, 3:01 am - IP Logged

would i be mad if someone played the numbers that they gave me as a gift, no not at all.  Anyone who does is greedy or just a sore winner, which makes no sense..no one is obligated to win more than the other........

MysteryMan424's avatar - batman22
                              Pelham NY
                              United States
                              Member #60411
                              April 16, 2008
                              169 Posts
                              Posted: November 30, 2008, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

This all sounds so crazy to me. many of you are counting chickens before they hatch. Since many of you place such a premium on the what if outcome, then you should only buy tickets for yourselves. Does anyone remember the story of the wedding in upstate NY where they put a 2$ win for life ticket on each plate at the reception, and one of the guests hit the jackpot. When asked the married couple were so elated for the lucky winners! YEAH RIGHT.