Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:34 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is it wrong to...?

Topic closed. 60 replies. Last post 8 years ago by yvi700.

Page 4 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10351 Posts
Posted: November 30, 2008, 4:19 pm - IP Logged

Why is the assumption in this thread that the person asking someone else to buy the ticklet for them is the "good guy" and the "runner" who runs the errand, and plays the same ticket is the "bad guy"?

I'd say as a general rule if you ask someone else to get your tickets for you, then it's "Australian rules" - i.e., no rules.

I can just imagine anyone who played a ticket for someone, didn't play it for themself, and the ticket won a jackpot (like Littleoldlady's example) -

"Why I played a ticket for that @#$ #@ ! #$%^& and they won the jackpot and didn't give me a @#$%^&* dime."

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
    Clarksville
    United States
    Member #487
    July 15, 2002
    17638 Posts
    Posted: November 30, 2008, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

This all sounds so crazy to me. many of you are counting chickens before they hatch. Since many of you place such a premium on the what if outcome, then you should only buy tickets for yourselves. Does anyone remember the story of the wedding in upstate NY where they put a 2$ win for life ticket on each plate at the reception, and one of the guests hit the jackpot. When asked the married couple were so elated for the lucky winners! YEAH RIGHT.

No, I think most folks are talking common sense.  If they win, why shouldn't the person who is buying (physically) the tickets.?  That makes absolutely no sense at all to me for someone to NOT think about playing those numbers, too. No one owns any numbers and personally I feel that the person who burns the gas, uses their own time, stands in line should get paid just like everyone else.   In fact you might say they have a right to those numbers after all they were in line and they purchased them at just the right time.  So they should play them too..they are as much theirs as the person they are buying the tickets for. 

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
      Clarksville
      United States
      Member #487
      July 15, 2002
      17638 Posts
      Posted: November 30, 2008, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

Why is the assumption in this thread that the person asking someone else to buy the ticklet for them is the "good guy" and the "runner" who runs the errand, and plays the same ticket is the "bad guy"?

I'd say as a general rule if you ask someone else to get your tickets for you, then it's "Australian rules" - i.e., no rules.

I can just imagine anyone who played a ticket for someone, didn't play it for themself, and the ticket won a jackpot (like Littleoldlady's example) -

"Why I played a ticket for that @#$ #@ ! #$%^& and they won the jackpot and didn't give me a @#$%^&* dime."

Yes, that really happened and the girl who bought the ticket he promised her 1 million dollars but the last I heard he had not paid her anything but was trying to work something out.  The winner and his mom quickly moved away and have not been heard from since.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
        Indiana
        United States
        Member #48725
        January 7, 2007
        1953 Posts
        Posted: November 30, 2008, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

No, I think most folks are talking common sense.  If they win, why shouldn't the person who is buying (physically) the tickets.?  That makes absolutely no sense at all to me for someone to NOT think about playing those numbers, too. No one owns any numbers and personally I feel that the person who burns the gas, uses their own time, stands in line should get paid just like everyone else.   In fact you might say they have a right to those numbers after all they were in line and they purchased them at just the right time.  So they should play them too..they are as much theirs as the person they are buying the tickets for. 

Yes Nod

If I hadn't bought a duplicate ticket and handed over her ticket to her, and she won, I would be subject to her decision based on how much she thinks I deserve for buying it. Half? Hmmmm, maybe. $1,000,000? Maybe. Nothing? Perhaps. I would have no legal argument as she is the owner of the ticket. If I buy tickets for someone else, I don't want them to decide how much I deserve for physically buying the ticket for them. I want an equal share, so I'll take it upon myself to spend more money to make sure it happens if their numbers come up. It's really nothing for them to get upset about knowing that even with half the jackpot, their life is going to change.

Gonna win.Big Smile

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3474 Posts
          Posted: December 1, 2008, 1:49 am - IP Logged

OK, I'll play.

What kind of friend would get upset if they asked you to play a ticket for them and you played an additional ticket with your own money? Who is not being the friend here?

The example with the girlfriend is ridiculous, but if you insist on going that route, I'll reply with, "You know what, when I drove your girlfriend home she hinted that I could have some fun with her for $100, so I just dropped her off and went to the ranch."

Your ball.

As for a court case:

Defense: So anyone anywhere could have played these numbers, "your numbers", by chance, or someone playung a quick pick might be given these very same numbers, but you are telling the court that they are "your numbers", is that correct?

Plaintiff: "Yes, that's correct"

Defense:  Green laugh

Judge: Green laugh

Bailiff:  Green laugh

Entire courtroom: Green laugh

I can always count on you to fail to understand something simple. The one who isn't being a friend is the one who agreed to do a favor, but didn't. The person knows there is a chance that the same numbers will be played by somebody else, but they don't believe it is a certainty. Whether you understand it or not, the favor implies that you will buy them the ticket but not turn around and copy the numbers for yourself. By chooosing to use the numbers on their ticket, it's no longer a favor. You've chosen to charge them for it, and friends don't charge for favors. If you're not wiling to do it sac up and tel them.

As for a court case:

Plaintiff: No, that's not correct. I maintain we had a contract, and the defendant breached the contract by not following the terms.

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3474 Posts
            Posted: December 1, 2008, 1:50 am - IP Logged

If someone sends me to play numbers for them, you better believe I am going to play their numbers, too. I tell them up front so they will know. I will always remember that a lady came here and bought a 2.00 QP for a friend and didn't play the same numbers for herself.  He won 100 miliion..she won nothing.

How much would she have won if she hadn't bought the ticket for her friend?

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
              Indiana
              United States
              Member #48725
              January 7, 2007
              1953 Posts
              Posted: December 1, 2008, 2:24 am - IP Logged

I can always count on you to fail to understand something simple. The one who isn't being a friend is the one who agreed to do a favor, but didn't. The person knows there is a chance that the same numbers will be played by somebody else, but they don't believe it is a certainty. Whether you understand it or not, the favor implies that you will buy them the ticket but not turn around and copy the numbers for yourself. By chooosing to use the numbers on their ticket, it's no longer a favor. You've chosen to charge them for it, and friends don't charge for favors. If you're not wiling to do it sac up and tel them.

As for a court case:

Plaintiff: No, that's not correct. I maintain we had a contract, and the defendant breached the contract by not following the terms.

The "contract"(which in this case would have to be argued as an oral contract) is simply this: Buy the person a ticket with the money they gave you. That's it.  The supposed "contract" was fulfilled. There is no obligation for the person buying the tickets to not buy a ticket with the same numbers. They have every right to buy a ticket with the same numbers. You own the ticket, not the numbers on the ticket.

Gonna win.Big Smile

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                Michigan
                United States
                Member #22395
                September 24, 2005
                1583 Posts
                Posted: December 1, 2008, 3:12 am - IP Logged

I definitely would NOT think of paying anyone $1,000,000 (if I won) or more just for doing me a favor.   True it might be my best friend doing the favor and I absolutely would never even consider giving my best friend half of the jackpot (assuming there would only be one winner, without the duplicated ticket).  I would not want to share ANY jackpot - however the law forces me to do that with strangers that have matching numbers.  I play jackpot games to get it all.

I have given lottery tickets for gifts and would be happy to see someone win - that is why I do it.   I stand to win nothing, I expect nothing.  It was a gift.  That is totally different than duplicating a ticket. 

I don't think it is a legal problem but there are a lot of things that are legal that I don't agree with.  It is an ethic problem and anyone that would do that does not have ethics that I would admire.   

Like many have said, state your intentions up front.  "John, I don't mind getting you a QP ticket but I am going to play those same numbers myself - do you still want me to get your ticket?"  If the answer is yes, then apparently your friend is one of these LP members that see nothing wrong in playing the same numbers.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                  Dump Water Florida
                  United States
                  Member #380
                  June 5, 2002
                  3103 Posts
                  Posted: December 1, 2008, 3:42 am - IP Logged

Ok, what if you bought a ticket through a service that charges $5. for buying a lottery ticket and the service routinely uses one of those other four dollars to buy themselves the same ticket numbers as you ordered without mentioning it in their terms of service, thus guaranteeing you could only win no more than half the advertised prize.  Is that alright?

BobP

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10351 Posts
                    Posted: December 1, 2008, 9:55 am - IP Logged

As for a court case:

Gee KYFloyd, we can always count on you to tell the rest of the world how to do things your way, Frankie!

"The one who isn't being a friend is the one who agreed to do a favor, but didn't."

How did he not do the favor, he got them the ticket.

"Whether you understand it or not, the favor implies that you will buythem the ticket but not turn around and copy the numbers for yourself."

How so? Was it stated? Maybe in your mind it's implied, but "It was implied" would never hold up in a case.

"By chooosing to use the numbers on their ticket, it's no longer afavor. You've chosen to charge them for it, and friends don't chargefor favors."

How in blazes is that "charging" them for it? If you're springing for the buck for your own ticket, how do you possibly turn that in to "charging them"? You send someone to the store to get you a bottle of coke, they decide to buy themself one too, and thus have "charged you" for it? Maybe if you live in a rubber room.

As for a court case:

Plaintiff: No, that's not correct. I maintain we had a contract, andthe defendant breached the contract by not following the terms.

Defense: Was this a signed cntract? Was it an oral contract?nd either way, was it specified that you did not want the runner playing the numbers you played or were given as a QP?

And all things considered Floyd, I will throw this at you:

Runner: Well you see your honor, I'm on this internet forum with a lot of lottery players, and some seem to be very knowledgable. So when my friend asked me to get the ticket for him, having read many discussions about the lotto, I decided to play the same ticket again, for myself, to cut the odds in half like some of those people talk about. I figured that way if it were to win, instead of worrying about splitting the jackpot, it will be split automatically.

Have a nice day, Floyd. Enjoy listening to My Way by Sinatra.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                      Michigan
                      United States
                      Member #22395
                      September 24, 2005
                      1583 Posts
                      Posted: December 1, 2008, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

Ok, what if you bought a ticket through a service that charges $5. for buying a lottery ticket and the service routinely uses one of those other four dollars to buy themselves the same ticket numbers as you ordered without mentioning it in their terms of service, thus guaranteeing you could only win no more than half the advertised prize.  Is that alright?

BobP

Not sure who this is aimed at.

My 2¢ - I think the service should state up front that they do that.  Then I have the choice of agreeing to their terms or not.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                        Dump Water Florida
                        United States
                        Member #380
                        June 5, 2002
                        3103 Posts
                        Posted: December 2, 2008, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

Not sure who this is aimed at.

My 2¢ - I think the service should state up front that they do that.  Then I have the choice of agreeing to their terms or not.

It's not aimed at any particular who or grinch.  Its a just suppose that could happen and might be happening with some of the less honest services like the lotter that banks their own bets and pays less, but could instead switch to buying two tickets instead (one for you one for them). 

Just suppose as someone else in this thread mentioned, you join a lottery club and the person assigned to buy the tickets also buys the same combinations for themself.   Of course if the combinations played are distributed among the members before the draw, any of them could run out and buy the same combinations.  It may not be illegal or even morally wrong, but I bet they won't be welcome at the yearly winner's dinner.

BobP

mjwinsmith's avatar - moon

United States
                          Member #391
                          June 8, 2002
                          16066 Posts
                          Posted: December 2, 2008, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

It's not aimed at any particular who or grinch.  Its a just suppose that could happen and might be happening with some of the less honest services like the lotter that banks their own bets and pays less, but could instead switch to buying two tickets instead (one for you one for them). 

Just suppose as someone else in this thread mentioned, you join a lottery club and the person assigned to buy the tickets also buys the same combinations for themself.   Of course if the combinations played are distributed among the members before the draw, any of them could run out and buy the same combinations.  It may not be illegal or even morally wrong, but I bet they won't be welcome at the yearly winner's dinner.

BobP

BobP

I am still waiting for an answer on that one, LOL. I use to be in an office pool, I collected the money and went and got the tickets. One big reason I was selected is because everyone else in the pool TRUSTED me. They all knew that if the lotto Pool hit they would not worry that I would take off with the tickets or have a dublicate set on the side for myself.

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                            CA
                            United States
                            Member #57222
                            December 23, 2007
                            587 Posts
                            Posted: December 3, 2008, 9:55 am - IP Logged

I don't see anything wrong with playing the same numbers. However, since they are your friends/family, you should probably be up front with them and tell them that you decided to play those numbers as well.

I agree with TSC,

I would tell them after I'd done it then say,  "good luck to us all!"

United States
                              Member #58528
                              February 18, 2008
                              710 Posts
                              Posted: December 3, 2008, 11:33 am - IP Logged

Chances are great that the friends numbers didn't hit,anyway.Keep your mouth shut about copying and playing the same numbers.What the friend doesn't know won't hurt him/her.No harm/no foul.