Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is it wrong to...?

Topic closed. 60 replies. Last post 8 years ago by yvi700.

Page 2 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
Indiana
United States
Member #48725
January 7, 2007
1953 Posts
Posted: November 28, 2008, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

This happened to me once. I believe PB was at $300M. I was going to the gas station to pick up my $5 QP. My neighbor asked me to buy her a $2 QP. I don't like buying tickets for other people. I don't know why she couldn't just go buy it herself. So I go into the gas station and buy my $5 QP and her $2 QP. However, since I took it upon myself to buy her a ticket, I walked over to the playslips and marked down the same 2 sets of numbers that were on her $2 ticket. I spent an extra $2 to play those numbers. When I got home, I gave her her $2 QP and kept my $7 worth of tickets.Approve

I'd like to hear opinions on this.

Gonna win.Big Smile

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
    Member #4877
    May 30, 2004
    5114 Posts
    Posted: November 28, 2008, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

A gift should never have strings attached.  (I'm not talking about getting your child a puppy! I'm talking about a gift for another adult.)  If I purchased some quick picks for someone, I wouldn't even look at the numbers.

Having said that, I would never buy anyone a lottery ticket. Smiley  Just one of my "rules."

WOWo!o justjustxploring>>>>>>>>!!!!!

after psykomo read "ALL" poster's >>>>!!!!!

???????? HAVE posted>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>justxploring>!!!!!!!!!

tell-us-your-"STORY">>>>>>>!!!

thank U-JXP:::::::::::>>>>>>>!!!!

psykomoWhite BouncePartyPartyJack-in-the-Box

Indiana
      United States
      Member #48725
      January 7, 2007
      1953 Posts
      Posted: November 28, 2008, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

You are saying that, if you gave a friend $1.00 to purchase a megamillion Quick Pick, and they played for you, and they also played the same numbers and come to find out that let's say the Jackpot was $500,000,000 that you would not be mad at only getting $250,000,000.00!  Yeah Right! The Jack Pot was yours and yours only. When your so called friend purchased the ticket and paid your dollar those are your numbers and yours alone.

The only way I could see this happenning is if your friend said they would SHARE the prize with you, then you have the right to play the numbers on your own ticket.

I really hope you're kidding. If someone plays the same numbers as you, then you own your ticket and they own theirs. I mean, it could be some stranger across the country that you end up sharing the jackpot with, or it could be a friend, someone you know and care about that you share it with. Who would you rather it be? If not your friend, then maybe you should ask yourself what kind of friend YOU are.

Gonna win.Big Smile

mjwinsmith's avatar - moon

United States
        Member #391
        June 8, 2002
        16056 Posts
        Posted: November 28, 2008, 9:00 pm - IP Logged

I really hope you're kidding. If someone plays the same numbers as you, then you own your ticket and they own theirs. I mean, it could be some stranger across the country that you end up sharing the jackpot with, or it could be a friend, someone you know and care about that you share it with. Who would you rather it be? If not your friend, then maybe you should ask yourself what kind of friend YOU are.

We are not talking about someone else who you know nothing about playing the same numbers, we are talking about someone playing numbers for you that you gave the money to play for them. As far as I see it if they give you the money to play it's theirs and not YOURS.........you are in a position of trust. You are twisting things around to serve your purpose, ask yourself what kind of friend are you.

As I stated in an earlier post if your friend or family member indicated that they would share the prize with you then you have a right to get your own ticket.

If you were in a Lottery Pool would you buy a set of tickets for the pool and another set for yourself??

The tickets belong to the pool of players in the Lottery Pool and you have only the share ratio to win as your contribution to all the tickets purchased.

United States
          Member #391
          June 8, 2002
          16056 Posts
          Posted: November 28, 2008, 9:26 pm - IP Logged

mjwinsmith

You are saying that, if you gave a friend $1.00 to purchase amegamillion Quick Pick, and they played for you, and they also playedthe same numbers and come to find out that let's say the Jackpot was$500,000,000 that you would not be mad at only getting $250,000,000.00!

I agree with That Scary Chick in disagreeing with you on this.

"...Mad at getting ONLY $250,000"? Who would be mad at getting "Only" $250,000,000" ?

That kind of mentality is what makes the state and multi-state lotteries know that they can keep increasing the matrixes and 'Joe and Jill Greedy', the lottery players, will continue to play, no matter what.

To bring the scenario back to anyone buying the ticklet for someone else, hey, you know what, if they don't want anyone else playing "their numbers" (there is no such rthing by the way) they can get their own tickets.

As for "their numbers", what's not to say someone else somewhere played the same  umbers, or someone got those numbers as a QP?

Sets of lottery numbers don't even come close to being "intellectual property", copyrighted, trademarked, or any other such thing.

Lotto Rule "# 22"

If you don't want somone else playing the same numbers, don't ask them to play those numbers for you.

It's extremely ironic that people are talking about not wanting people to play "their numbers" on a board with such a prolific Predictions forum.

Bang Head

People who don't want to assume a position of trust can simply refuse to purchase Lottery tickets for others.

If someone asked me to get them a Quick Pick and gave me the money to play I'd go purchase the ticket and give same to them, that's just me I'm that type of person. No I would not copy the numbers or play them for myself. Again, I am honest like that. And what does predicting numbers have to do with it?? When people play numbers that I predict and they win I am very happy for them and I don't ask for a dime. If they want to give me something as thanks then thats fine but I don't feel it's an obligation to give me anything, helping them is a reward in itself.

United States
            Member #391
            June 8, 2002
            16056 Posts
            Posted: November 28, 2008, 9:37 pm - IP Logged

I disagree. No one owns a set of numbers. Anyone can play any numbers they want if they buy a ticket. If you have someone else buy tickets for you, you risk the chance that they may play those same numbers. If you have a fear that someone may take "your" numbers and share "your" jackpot, then don't have someone else buy your tickets.

ThatScaryChick

Your point is well taken, anyone playing for you my copy and play your numbers, someone asked the question if it was right to do that, play other people's numbers as your own, and I feel it is wrong. You and others here feel it's OK, and you are entitled to that.   

Again, I would like to ask that if you were in a Lottery Pool and was assigned to go get the tickets, would you buy a set for the Pool and then a set for yourself??

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
              Kunming
              China
              Member #57910
              January 23, 2008
              3626 Posts
              Posted: November 28, 2008, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

I think there's something not right about copying somebodies numbers on the "sneak" especially the lotto games. I think being upfront will make the relationship healthy especially if it's a friend or family. I copy numbers sometimes in the pick 3. For instances if a customer says a number like 347. I might say to myself "hey I like that number too" just because I heard it. Maybe it's a customer I see all the time who wins a lot and I tend to evasdrop hoping to get a feeling too. I think that's okay because he/she already bought the number and it's not a big jackpot game.

Play to win!

Indiana
                United States
                Member #48725
                January 7, 2007
                1953 Posts
                Posted: November 28, 2008, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

We are not talking about someone else who you know nothing about playing the same numbers, we are talking about someone playing numbers for you that you gave the money to play for them. As far as I see it if they give you the money to play it's theirs and not YOURS.........you are in a position of trust. You are twisting things around to serve your purpose, ask yourself what kind of friend are you.

As I stated in an earlier post if your friend or family member indicated that they would share the prize with you then you have a right to get your own ticket.

If you were in a Lottery Pool would you buy a set of tickets for the pool and another set for yourself??

The tickets belong to the pool of players in the Lottery Pool and you have only the share ratio to win as your contribution to all the tickets purchased.

As far as I see it if they give you the money to play it's theirs and not YOURS.........you are in a position of trust.

Their ticket is THEIRS, but if I feel like running that playslip through again and spending MY own money on a ticket with the same numbers, I have every right to do so. Just like I posted before about how I copied my neighbor's QP. If that $2 QP won the jackpot, and she found out I too played a separate ticket with the same numbers, she wouldn't have a lawsuit. I spent my own money on the separate ticket, therefore I legally own that ticket. She has her ticket(which I gave to her when I returned home) and I have mine. We are both entitled to our share of the jackpot. I think she would be happy for the both of us if we did win, but even if she's the type of person who wouldn't be, it doesn't matter. It is the "penalty" she had to pay by having me purchase the ticket for her rather than her getting in her car and buying it herself. It doesn't make me a dishonest person either; even if I don't inform her I played the same numbers.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10344 Posts
                  Posted: November 28, 2008, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

People who don't want to assume a position of trust can simply refuse to purchase Lottery tickets for others.

If someone asked me to get them a Quick Pick and gave me the money to play I'd go purchase the ticket and give same to them, that's just me I'm that type of person. No I would not copy the numbers or play them for myself. Again, I am honest like that. And what does predicting numbers have to do with it?? When people play numbers that I predict and they win I am very happy for them and I don't ask for a dime. If they want to give me something as thanks then thats fine but I don't feel it's an obligation to give me anything, helping them is a reward in itself.

mjwinsmith

If you were going to a Nevada sports book (the only legal ones in the country, so we'll use Nevada) and someone gave you a six team football paraly to bet, would you see anything wrong with betting the same six team parlay?

Isn't a pick 6 lottery game the ultimate six team parlay?

I don't see any difference.

I also don't see any question of honesty in playing or not playing the same numbers....especially since in your examples you are assuming a solo jackpot, and you can never assume a solo jackpot. It is the most common, yeah, but you can never assume it.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                    Dump Water Florida
                    United States
                    Member #380
                    June 5, 2002
                    3102 Posts
                    Posted: November 29, 2008, 12:58 am - IP Logged

mjwinsmith

If you were going to a Nevada sports book (the only legal ones in the country, so we'll use Nevada) and someone gave you a six team football paraly to bet, would you see anything wrong with betting the same six team parlay?

Isn't a pick 6 lottery game the ultimate six team parlay?

I don't see any difference.

I also don't see any question of honesty in playing or not playing the same numbers....especially since in your examples you are assuming a solo jackpot, and you can never assume a solo jackpot. It is the most common, yeah, but you can never assume it.

The difference is whether your action affects your friend's return.

If I know my friend wins Pick-3 a lot and gives me numbers to play, I would play them too, don't need to ask because my action does not harm my friend. 

Lottery is parimutuel, the prize is divided among the winners, the more who play the smaller the prize for each winner.  An honest friend asked to buy numbers would/should not be afraid to ask if it's ok to play the same numbers.  Simple to do, upfront and honest.  If you would go behind your friend's back or your friend says "no" re-examine the friendship.

The operative word is "friend" it has real world meaning far different from being asked by an aquaintance for whom you care little and annoyed you by asking.  Winning would be the likely end of whatever relationship there is between you.   

Frankly if the prize were $5 million and you played your friend's numbers without permission and you both won, I wouldn't count on the friendship lasting much longer beyond your friend finding out.  Might even make some lawyer wealthy.

BobP

Indiana
                      United States
                      Member #48725
                      January 7, 2007
                      1953 Posts
                      Posted: November 29, 2008, 1:22 am - IP Logged

The difference is whether your action affects your friend's return.

If I know my friend wins Pick-3 a lot and gives me numbers to play, I would play them too, don't need to ask because my action does not harm my friend. 

Lottery is parimutuel, the prize is divided among the winners, the more who play the smaller the prize for each winner.  An honest friend asked to buy numbers would/should not be afraid to ask if it's ok to play the same numbers.  Simple to do, upfront and honest.  If you would go behind your friend's back or your friend says "no" re-examine the friendship.

The operative word is "friend" it has real world meaning far different from being asked by an aquaintance for whom you care little and annoyed you by asking.  Winning would be the likely end of whatever relationship there is between you.   

Frankly if the prize were $5 million and you played your friend's numbers without permission and you both won, I wouldn't count on the friendship lasting much longer beyond your friend finding out.  Might even make some lawyer wealthy.

BobP

If they get upset about you wanting to play the same numbers as them, then they weren't really a friend in the first place. $5M between 2 people is still a lot of money. If you play their numbers, it's the penalty they have to pay for you taking the time to play their numbers for them. If they don't want you to play their numbers, then they should get in their own car and go buy the ticket themself. A lawsuit over a case like this would be thrown out.

Gonna win.Big Smile

United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10344 Posts
                        Posted: November 29, 2008, 1:36 am - IP Logged

BobP

"Frankly if the prize were $5 million and you played your friend'snumbers without permission and you both won, I wouldn't count on thefriendship lasting much longer beyond your friend finding out.  Mighteven make some lawyer wealthy."

Recently on a TV show called Judge Karen there was a case where someone played a pick 3 which won for a neighbor, but kept the winnings for himself. That made a court case, and the judge ruled he had to give the person he played the ticket for the winnings. But he only played the money the nieghbor gave him to play.

But I seriously doubt if any court would consider a scenario like we have in this thread and one party claiming "they played my numbers". Where is a precedent? What law says that you can't play any numbers you want to? 

I still say there is no such things as "but those were my numbers".

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

NY
                          United States
                          Member #23835
                          October 16, 2005
                          3474 Posts
                          Posted: November 29, 2008, 1:40 am - IP Logged

You've got it completely backwards. If a friend asks you to buy them a ticket and you then play the same numbers without asking if they mind, then you're the one who isn't really a friend. It has nothing to do with whether or not they really own the numbers or if they would win a lawsuit. It's about integrity and what friends do for, or to, each other. If you asked me to drive your girlfriend home and I slept with her would you think I'd done anything wrong? You don't own her, you'd have no legal complaint, and in the morning you wouldn't have lost 50% of your girlfriend.  Iit's only a favor if you do what was asked (and what you agred to do) and don't do something behind their back.

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3474 Posts
                            Posted: November 29, 2008, 1:54 am - IP Logged

BobP

"Frankly if the prize were $5 million and you played your friend'snumbers without permission and you both won, I wouldn't count on thefriendship lasting much longer beyond your friend finding out.  Mighteven make some lawyer wealthy."

Recently on a TV show called Judge Karen there was a case where someone played a pick 3 which won for a neighbor, but kept the winnings for himself. That made a court case, and the judge ruled he had to give the person he played the ticket for the winnings. But he only played the money the nieghbor gave him to play.

But I seriously doubt if any court would consider a scenario like we have in this thread and one party claiming "they played my numbers". Where is a precedent? What law says that you can't play any numbers you want to? 

I still say there is no such things as "but those were my numbers".

A court would definitely give it good consideration, but that's different than having a good case. There's a reasonable argument that in agreeing to get the ticket for somebody else you're entering into a contract. That contract could easily be interpreted to have an implicit agreement that by getting randomly generated numbers you are both agreeing that those numbers are intended only for the person for whom you're buying the ticket. By buying aticket of oyur own you're diluting the value of any parimutuel prize, and it's a safe bet that a court could interpret that as a breach of the contract to deliver a ticket with full value. What any given court would rule is always an unknown until the decision is rendered, but what's certain is that your legal fees  could wipe out a good portion, or even all of what you hoped to win.

The real question I have for those who think there's nothing wrong with playing the same numbers is what reason would you have for doing that? As far as I can see you've all established yourselves to be false friends, with petty jealousies that your friend might benefit when you don't. Perhaps there's some alternate reason that escapes me, that would show that you are actually a real friend who is really doing the favor you agreed to do. If so, I'm sure you can explain it to me.

United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10344 Posts
                              Posted: November 29, 2008, 2:41 am - IP Logged

You've got it completely backwards. If a friend asks you to buy them a ticket and you then play the same numbers without asking if they mind, then you're the one who isn't really a friend. It has nothing to do with whether or not they really own the numbers or if they would win a lawsuit. It's about integrity and what friends do for, or to, each other. If you asked me to drive your girlfriend home and I slept with her would you think I'd done anything wrong? You don't own her, you'd have no legal complaint, and in the morning you wouldn't have lost 50% of your girlfriend.  Iit's only a favor if you do what was asked (and what you agred to do) and don't do something behind their back.

OK, I'll play.

What kind of friend would get upset if they asked you to play a ticket for them and you played an additional ticket with your own money? Who is not being the friend here?

The example with the girlfriend is ridiculous, but if you insist on going that route, I'll reply with, "You know what, when I drove your girlfriend home she hinted that I could have some fun with her for $100, so I just dropped her off and went to the ranch."

Your ball.

As for a court case:

Defense: So anyone anywhere could have played these numbers, "your numbers", by chance, or someone playung a quick pick might be given these very same numbers, but you are telling the court that they are "your numbers", is that correct?

Plaintiff: "Yes, that's correct"

Defense:  Green laugh

Judge: Green laugh

Bailiff:  Green laugh

Entire courtroom: Green laugh

Lep