Neb. lottery numbers drawn twice in row

Jan 23, 2009, 10:27 am (35 comments)

Nebraska Lottery

OMAHA, Neb. — The odds are against something this odd.

A Nebraska Lottery official says the winning numbers for the state's Pick 3 lottery on Tuesday were exactly the same as the winning combination from the night before.

Lottery spokesman Brian Rockey says one of two lottery computers that randomly generate combinations picked the numbers 1, 9 and 6 — in that order — for Monday night's drawing. He says the other computer picked the same three numbers Tuesday in the same sequence.

The odds of such an occurrence? One in a million.

Rockey says one person won the game's top prize of $600 Monday but didn't win again the next night. Three other people won Tuesday's prize.

Thanks for jackpotismine for the tip.

AP

Comments

diamondpalace's avatardiamondpalace

It's not odd at all when dealing with computer generated combinations. :P

I wonder how it is calculated to be 1 in a million?

jgdr

florida did the same thing with number 354 a couple of days ago

spy153's avatarspy153

Happens all the time in KY.

Todd's avatarTodd

I personally think when computerized drawings are involved, you can't use regular mathematical odds.

It really depends on what kind of RNG the computer is using.

With computers that use the decay of radioactive material as their basis for the random numbers, then I feel like it is sufficiently random, the odds are probably a good measure.  (Although nothing makes me feel that computers should be used for ANY lottery drawing — they are too susceptible to hacking or errors, thereby bypassing the RNG.)

But for other RNGs, such as using the RNG that comes packaged in the operating system/programming language, that is NOT sufficiently random.  In fact, it will produce patterns and someone who knows how the RNG works may be able to successfully predict it.

So one in a million?  If Nebraska uses a regular RNG, then the odds are not going to be mathematically precise, they are going to be whatever the RNG's pattern dictates.

JADELottery's avatarJADELottery

It's not 1 in a million. The probability of the previous night's draw mathing exactly the next night's draw is 1 in 1000. Exactly the same if someone plays one single straight play for that night's draw.

spy153's avatarspy153

What kind of RNG does LP use on the qp's, Todd?

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by JADELottery on Jan 23, 2009

It's not 1 in a million. The probability of the previous night's draw mathing exactly the next night's draw is 1 in 1000. Exactly the same if someone plays one single straight play for that night's draw.

That makes sense, from the standpoint that in reality it has happened many times in the past. 

I think it would be 1 in 1 million if you chose one particular combination in advance, and that combination hit on two consecutive days.

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by spy153 on Jan 23, 2009

What kind of RNG does LP use on the qp's, Todd?

The Quick Picks generator available by clicking the link on the left uses a regular old RNG.  I do make an effort to use constantly-changing seed values, but it is still a regular RNG.

I am in the process of changing that to a much better, cryptographically-advanced RNG, and I'm halfway finished.

In fact, if you use the iPhone/iPod Touch version of Lottery Post today, the quick picks generator in that site uses the new RNG.  The Quick Picks generator in the main LP site will eventually look and work just like the iPhone version, which is also easier to use.

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Jan 23, 2009

That makes sense, from the standpoint that in reality it has happened many times in the past. 

I think it would be 1 in 1 million if you chose one particular combination in advance, and that combination hit on two consecutive days.

That is correct. If the same exact pick 3 number hit 3 times in a row, that would be 1 in a 1,000,000.

Raven62's avatarRaven62

Same Combination 3 Times in a Row would be more like 1 in a 1,000,000,000.

Quote: Originally posted by Raven62 on Jan 23, 2009

Same Combination 3 Times in a Row would be more like 1 in a 1,000,000,000.

no, that is not correct. it's 1 in a 1,000,000.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by JADELottery on Jan 23, 2009

no, that is not correct. it's 1 in a 1,000,000.

What would be the odds of the same number coming up three times in one week for example on Monday, Wednesday and Friday?

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Jan 23, 2009

What would be the odds of the same number coming up three times in one week for example on Monday, Wednesday and Friday?

That's for any straight three draws in row.

Since all possible straight repeating drawn three times in a row is as follows:

1st  -  2nd  - 3rd
0 0 0 - 0 0 0 - 0 0 0
0 0 1 - 0 0 1 - 0 0 1
0 0 2 - 0 0 2 - 0 0 2
9 9 7 - 9 9 7 - 9 9 7
9 9 8 - 9 9 8 - 9 9 8
9 9 9 - 9 9 9 - 9 9 9

There are only 1,000 possible ways this can happen.

The total possible ways for any straight is as follows:

1st  -  2nd  -  3rd
0 0 0 - 0 0 0 - 0 0 0
0 0 0 - 0 0 0 - 0 0 1
0 0 0 - 0 0 0 - 0 0 2
9 9 9 - 9 9 9 - 9 9 7
9 9 9 - 9 9 9 - 9 9 8
9 9 9 - 9 9 9 - 9 9 9

This is a total of 1,000,000,000 possible ways this can happen.

This is 1,000 out of 1,000,000,000 or 1,000 / 1,000,000,000 total possible ways any straight can occur three draws in a row.

This reduces down to 1 / 1,000,000 or 1 in 1,000,000.

chouquounette

Happens in Ga all the time!

jr-va

interesting

on one hand I see that ANY 2 draws have 1,000,000 possible 2-sets because it's 1,000x1,000

However, asking for odds of ANY TWIN of previous draw does seem that you would divide 1,000,000 by 1,000 possible sets of twins ...and it equlas 1:1,000.  (So do the odds of having a SPECIFIC TWIN equal 1:1,000 because of having 1,000 possible twins, but it must be a day of twins first) .   I am still somewhat confused  Confused

A lot has to do with precisely the way the question is asked.  The question then has to be transformed to math precisely.

Quote: Originally posted by chouquounette on Jan 23, 2009

Happens in Ga all the time!

You are right and this should be true for all lotteries.

The average rate of reoccurrence for a draw to repeat itself the next night is once every 1,000 draws.

That's once every 2.738 years.

It's an average only, meaning it's more likely to happen sooner than later.

You can find the distribution of these rates of reoccurrence using a topic we posted a while ago, Discharging Reoccurrence Distribution and a related topic, Random Number Transforms - Reoccurrence Distribution.

BobP's avatarBobP

Pick-3 is like a slot machine with three ten number reels.

1:10 x 1:10 x 1:10 = 1:1,000

Think of two slot machines with three ten number reels sitting side by side having the same three number combination come up in the same order.

1:1,000 x 1:1,000 = 1:1,000,000

However, once the first machine has been pulled and we know that combination the odds of the second machine matching it are 1:1,000.

1 x 1:1,000 = 1:1,000

At least that's what I think.  BobP

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

jr-va said  "A lot has to do with precisely the way the question is asked," which is a good point. I'd say that most people get the chances of the same number coming up twice in a row wrong because they're answering the wrong question.

The chance that any specific 3 digit number will come up in one drawing is 1 in 1000, so the chance of a specific number coming up in two consecutive drawings is 1/1000 * 1/1000, or 1 in 1 million. Since having a drawing means that some number will be drawn, the chance of a number being drawn on the first day are 1 in 1. The chances that  the same number will repeat in the next drawing is therefore 1 in 1000. Even then we're making an assumption that we mean two specific consecutive drawings. The chances of any specific number coming up in the next 7 drawings is about 7 times more likely. That makes the chance of a specific number coming up consecutively in 2 of 7 drawings about 7 in 1,000,000, or 1 in 167,000.

I interpret RJ's question to mean what are the chances that some number would be drawn 3 times in 7 drawings (leaving out the question of whether there are  1 or 2 drawings per day). In order for that to happen, one of the numbers drawn in the first 6 drawings will have to be drawn twice. It could be any of the 5 numbers, and it could happen on any 2 of the 6 days. The chances of that are about 1 in 66.7.  Here's how that works:

In drawing 1 a number is drawn, and there are 5 chances for it to repeat by drawing 6, or 5 in 1000.
In drawing 2 a number is drawn, and there are 4 chances for it to repeat by drawing 6, or 4 in 1000.
In drawing 3 a number is drawn, and there are 3 chances for it to repeat by drawing 6, or 3 in 1000.
In drawing 4 a number is drawn, and there are 2 chances for it to repeat by drawing 6, or 2 in 1000.
In drawing 5 a number is drawn, and there's a 1 in 1000 chance it will repeat in drawing 6.

That means the chances that one of the numbers drawn in the first 5 days will be drawn on day 6 is about 15 in 1000, 1 in 66.67. There's then a 1 in 1000 chance of  the 6th number being drawn again in the 7th drawing,  or 1 in 66,667.

One final caveat. Those are the chances for one specific state. With 30 states holding drawings, it's 30 times as likely that any given result will occur in 1 of the states.

LckyLary

The odds of one particular drawing to the next matching is 1 in 1000. The odds of it matching one drawing to the next "at some point sometime" is almost certain! The odds of *the next two drawings* matching a given drawing i.e. the same Pick-3 3 times STR, is 1 in 1 million. In the slot machine analogy (sorta) maybe they were thinking the odds of 2 specific draws in a row matching a *certain* STR # chosen arbitrarily.

I'd love to have access to what kind of algorithm is used to run a computerized  drawing. People would be less leery of them if independent (hobbyist etc.) programmers could check the software for bugs, and there is no reason (if they are truly random and no way to predict) why this information can't be made public. Even to know what source is used (quartz crystal? radioactive decay?) to generate the random seeds. I imagine the QP generator in the terminals is different than the one HQ uses.

time*treat's avatartime*treat

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Jan 23, 2009

They draw 6 times per week. I got 9.96 in 10 million chance of drawing the same number exactly 3 times straight, out of 6 drawings. Just under 1 in 1 million.

sonvan's avatarsonvan

north carolina has also happan at 24 january 2009 asme no for day and evnining 923

Quote: Originally posted by time*treat on Jan 26, 2009

They draw 6 times per week. I got 9.96 in 10 million chance of drawing the same number exactly 3 times straight, out of 6 drawings. Just under 1 in 1 million.

When you say "the same number exactly 3 times straight" do oyu mean 3 days in a row?  If the chances of having the same number come up 3 times in a row during a 3 day period is 10.00 in 10 million, wouldn't it be substantially more likely to happen 3 days in a row during a 6 day period? After all, there's only one way it can happen in 3 days, vs 4 ways it could happen over 6 days. For any 3 days in a 6 day period it would be about 1 in 100,000.

time*treat's avatartime*treat

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Jan 27, 2009

When you say "the same number exactly 3 times straight" do oyu mean 3 days in a row?  If the chances of having the same number come up 3 times in a row during a 3 day period is 10.00 in 10 million, wouldn't it be substantially more likely to happen 3 days in a row during a 6 day period? After all, there's only one way it can happen in 3 days, vs 4 ways it could happen over 6 days. For any 3 days in a 6 day period it would be about 1 in 100,000.

Fair question. It doesn't have to be three days in a row. It's easier to visualize & solve it that way, though. Smile

Here's my work out, for a 6 drawing set. Now, remember I was answering RJOh's question of the odds of a "threepeat". He didn't specify a certain number.

Let's call our target number 000. That comes out on the first day.

On the second day, 000 has 1 in 1000 chance of falling again. Overall odds so far: 1/1000

On the third day, 000 has a 1 in 1000 chance of falling again. Overall odds so far: 1/1,000,000

At this point, I'll stop calculating overall odds, for a minute

On day four (this is where it gets interesting) we want 000 to NOT fall. The odds of that are 999/1000 : slightly less that one

On day five, we want, again for 000 to NOT fall. The odds, again are 999/1000 : slightly less than one

(Day 5 could be a repeat of day 4, though)

On day six, we want to avoid 000, and we may want to avoid whatever fell on days 4 and 5, if 5 is a repeat of day 4. We're looking for a single threepeat, not two of them. Using the worst-case scenario (don't I always? Wink) of a repeat - that means we drop 2 numbers from consideration: 000 and whatever fell on days 4 & 5. Leaving us 998/1000 : slightly less than one. BTW, if day 4 is different than day 5, the odds go back to 999/1000

So, putting them all together: 1st three days [1/1,000,000] * 2nd three days [999/1000 * 999/1000 * 998/1000]

Because the second three days calculate to slightly less than one, the total product is reduced from 1 in 1,000,000 (10 in 10 million) to j_u_s_t under that. We can say our target 000 is a symbol (instead of a number), we can calculate the odds of that symbol showing-vs-not showing a certain number of times, given a certain number of trials. Once you look at it that way, you can see it doesn't matter the days the target number falls on.

My calculation was for any one and only one pick 3 number showing up straight, exactly three times (no more) in a six drawing period.

Now, if you want a particular number to show up or want certain days, then that is a more complex operation.

Stew12's avatarStew12

It depends how you look at the odds. [semantics] 

If you say 'What are the chances that 000 will hit tonight and tomorrow night?', That's 1:1,000,000 (1000*1000).

If you say 'Since 000 *already* hit last night, what are the chances that 000 hits tonight?', That's 1:1000.

If you say 'Since 000 *already* hit last night, what are the chances it will hit for the next 2 days [making 3 in a row]?', That's 1:1,000,000 (1000*1000 since the previous night has no bearing since it has already occurred.

If you say 'What are the chances 000 will hit 3 nights in a row (before it hits the first time)?', That's 1:1,000,000,000 (1000*1000*1000).

amininflorida

Quote: Originally posted by diamondpalace on Jan 23, 2009

It's not odd at all when dealing with computer generated combinations. :P

I wonder how it is calculated to be 1 in a million?

Yes it is not truly a ball drop so I am not that amazed I mean it happened here in Florida with 3-5-4 last week...to answer your question... they somehow figure that the formula of "independent events" applies, whereas it really does not because here is why: 

If I ROLL A pair of dice, the odds of both the dice being rolled landing "6" is .... 36:1 because the formula is...the odds are calculated as 1/6 x 1/6 = 1/36 (SIX Faces on a  die)

The reason why this does NOT apply to the Nebraska lottery drawing is because there was no "set" amount of possible results .... think about it....  when you roll the dice you KNOW there are only 6 Faces...so had this been a BALL DROP then yes the odds of that occurrence would have been ...

1/1000 x 1/1000 = 1:1,000,000

amininflorida

Quote: Originally posted by amininflorida on Jan 28, 2009

Yes it is not truly a ball drop so I am not that amazed I mean it happened here in Florida with 3-5-4 last week...to answer your question... they somehow figure that the formula of "independent events" applies, whereas it really does not because here is why: 

If I ROLL A pair of dice, the odds of both the dice being rolled landing "6" is .... 36:1 because the formula is...the odds are calculated as 1/6 x 1/6 = 1/36 (SIX Faces on a  die)

The reason why this does NOT apply to the Nebraska lottery drawing is because there was no "set" amount of possible results .... think about it....  when you roll the dice you KNOW there are only 6 Faces...so had this been a BALL DROP then yes the odds of that occurrence would have been ...

1/1000 x 1/1000 = 1:1,000,000

Okay I was thinking about it (And I know I am responding to my own post :D) ... i GUESS STATISTICALLY IT IS 1 in A million... but the mysterious part is that this is a "computer" so we dont know what operations are at work ... you know what i mean??

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Quote: Originally posted by Stew12 on Jan 27, 2009

It depends how you look at the odds. [semantics] 

If you say 'What are the chances that 000 will hit tonight and tomorrow night?', That's 1:1,000,000 (1000*1000).

If you say 'Since 000 *already* hit last night, what are the chances that 000 hits tonight?', That's 1:1000.

If you say 'Since 000 *already* hit last night, what are the chances it will hit for the next 2 days [making 3 in a row]?', That's 1:1,000,000 (1000*1000 since the previous night has no bearing since it has already occurred.

If you say 'What are the chances 000 will hit 3 nights in a row (before it hits the first time)?', That's 1:1,000,000,000 (1000*1000*1000).

I like this. Very clear and easy to understand for someone who is math challenged like me. LOL

LotteryTechInc

In FL 354 was drawn on 01/19 on the 20th 765 was drawn so there was no repeat of the same numbers!!

Alright, ONE MORE TIME... the probability that the same exact combination will hit the next draw is 1/1000...  PERIOD.

NOT 1/1000000...  IT'S 1/1000.

As soon as the draw is made, there are no probabilities to calculate...  it's just 1, because it's a KNOWN combination.

Probabilities that calculate numbers like 1/2, 1/10, 1/100 or 1/1000 are for the UNKNOWN.

Hence, because the current draw is KNOWN and next nights draw is UNKNOWN, the probability is 1 x 1/1000 or 1 / 1000.

Once you've established the current draw the probability is 1.

When you calculate the next draw is 1/1000 or (1 for the current draw / 1000 for all the possible next draws).

GD...  you people are way over thinking this one.

Stop racking your brain, you'll smash the pea.

Todd's avatarTodd

I'll go back to what I said earlier.  The odds are 1 in 1 million for two draws in a row to hit one number that you pick in advance.  For example, if I say that the number "821" will come out in NJ today and tommorrow, the odds are 1 in 1 million that it will come true.

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Jan 31, 2009

I'll go back to what I said earlier.  The odds are 1 in 1 million for two draws in a row to hit one number that you pick in advance.  For example, if I say that the number "821" will come out in NJ today and tommorrow, the odds are 1 in 1 million that it will come true.

This not what I am getting Experimentally.

This comes from actual data taken from the Wisconsin Daily Pick 3 draws.

Below is a short list of the calculation, however, you can download the Excel file with the following link.

http://home.mchsi.com/~jadelottery/Pick3NextDrawMatchProbability.xls

It reaffirms the calculation of (1 current known draw / 1000 next unknown possible draws).

Wisconsin Daily Pick 3 - Taken from the Wisconsin Website http://www.wilottery.com

if current draw matches the next draw, then 1, else 0

This probability is just by analysis to support the actual calculation value.

¯

Total Draws - 1 =

Index Year Month Day Draw  

Total Matches =

1 1992 9 21 80      
2 1992 9 22 584 0

Probability Current Draw Matches Next Draw =

3 1992 9 23 406 0

(Total Matches) / (Total Draws - 1)

4 1992 9 24 50 0

or

or

5 1992 9 25 636 0

Probability Current Draw Matches Next Draw =

1 / 996.333333333333
6 1992 9 26 15 0

(Total Matches) / (Total Draws - 1)

7 1992 9 27 693 0    
8 1992 9 28 892 0    
9 1992 9 29 867 0    
10 1992 9 30 860 0    
11 1992 10 1 342 0    
12 1992 10 2 270 0    
13 1992 10 3 120 0    
14 1992 10 4 695 0    
15 1992 10 5 50 0    
16 1992 10 6 468 0    
17 1992 10 7 262 0    
18 1992 10 8 513 0    
19 1992 10 9 474 0    
20 1992 10 10 224 0    
. . . . . .    
. . . . . .    
. . . . . .    
5955 2009 1 6 937 0    
5956 2009 1 7 788 0    
5957 2009 1 8 456 0    
5958 2009 1 9 949 0    
5959 2009 1 10 854 0    
5960 2009 1 11 843 0    
5961 2009 1 12 576 0    
5962 2009 1 13 87 0    
5963 2009 1 14 126 0    
5964 2009 1 15 895 0    
5965 2009 1 16 597 0    
5966 2009 1 17 941 0    
5967 2009 1 18 381 0    
5968 2009 1 19 487 0    
5969 2009 1 20 615 0    
5970 2009 1 21 325 0    
5971 2009 1 22 100 0    
5972 2009 1 23 567 0    
5973 2009 1 24 456 0    
5974 2009 1 25 915 0    
5975 2009 1 26 855 0    
5976 2009 1 27 490 0    
5977 2009 1 28 394 0    
5978 2009 1 29 957 0    
5979 2009 1 30 248 0    

Quote: Originally posted by time*treat on Jan 27, 2009

Fair question. It doesn't have to be three days in a row. It's easier to visualize & solve it that way, though. Smile

Here's my work out, for a 6 drawing set. Now, remember I was answering RJOh's question of the odds of a "threepeat". He didn't specify a certain number.

Let's call our target number 000. That comes out on the first day.

On the second day, 000 has 1 in 1000 chance of falling again. Overall odds so far: 1/1000

On the third day, 000 has a 1 in 1000 chance of falling again. Overall odds so far: 1/1,000,000

At this point, I'll stop calculating overall odds, for a minute

On day four (this is where it gets interesting) we want 000 to NOT fall. The odds of that are 999/1000 : slightly less that one

On day five, we want, again for 000 to NOT fall. The odds, again are 999/1000 : slightly less than one

(Day 5 could be a repeat of day 4, though)

On day six, we want to avoid 000, and we may want to avoid whatever fell on days 4 and 5, if 5 is a repeat of day 4. We're looking for a single threepeat, not two of them. Using the worst-case scenario (don't I always? Wink) of a repeat - that means we drop 2 numbers from consideration: 000 and whatever fell on days 4 & 5. Leaving us 998/1000 : slightly less than one. BTW, if day 4 is different than day 5, the odds go back to 999/1000

So, putting them all together: 1st three days [1/1,000,000] * 2nd three days [999/1000 * 999/1000 * 998/1000]

Because the second three days calculate to slightly less than one, the total product is reduced from 1 in 1,000,000 (10 in 10 million) to j_u_s_t under that. We can say our target 000 is a symbol (instead of a number), we can calculate the odds of that symbol showing-vs-not showing a certain number of times, given a certain number of trials. Once you look at it that way, you can see it doesn't matter the days the target number falls on.

My calculation was for any one and only one pick 3 number showing up straight, exactly three times (no more) in a six drawing period.

Now, if you want a particular number to show up or want certain days, then that is a more complex operation.

Making it easier to visualize and solve is all well and good, but sometimes it's too easy to simplify part of the answer out of the calculations, and we both did that.

By calculating the chances of getting the same number on the first 3 days without getting it on any of the other 3, you've excluded the chance that it could happen on other days, and still only happen 3 times. Even if we limit ourselves to 3 consecutive days instead of any 3 days, there are still 4 possible outcomes.  The 3 consecutive days can start on day 1, day 2, day 3 or day 4. That means 3 in a row is about 4 times as likely as you thought. I'd also say you've added an unnecessary restriction to the question. The chances of getting the same number 3 times in a given period also includes the possibility of getting it more than 3 times, so unless the question is for 3, and only 3 times, I wouldn't reduce the chances based on the  (very slim) possibility of more than 3 occurrences. That makes the chances of 3 (or more) occurrences on (any) 3 consecutive days in a 6 day period about 4 in 1 million.

It also sounds like you think your result would also apply to non-consecutive days, but that's incorrect. Here's another way to simplify it. For any 3 days in 6, it's the same as calculating any other combination of 3 in 6. There are 20 ways for a result to on 3 of 6 days (4 of which are 3 consecutive days):
123 124 125 126 134 135 136 145 146 156
234 235 236 245 246 256
345 346 356
For all 20 of these, whatever the first day result is, there's a 1 in 1 million chance that the other 2 days will be the same. That gives us a total of 20 chances in 1 million, or 1 in 50,000.

I made an error similar to yours in my previous post, which was based on 3 repeats in 7 drawings. I simplified by calculating the chances of a number repeating on 2 of the first 6 days, and then happening again on the 7th day. That ignored the chances that the 3rd repeat would also happen during the first 6 days.

Tenaj's avatarTenaj

Quote: Originally posted by sonvan on Jan 26, 2009

north carolina has also happan at 24 january 2009 asme no for day and evnining 923

and they use balls  NC repeats a lot - especially in the last few months

tjgorilla

It happens at least once a year in Maine on the Pick 4 which is even higher odds of happening.

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

it depends on what you are calculating,  if they are sayinng any 3 numbers repeating, then the odds are 1 in 1000.

the fact is  you dont care what 3 numbers are drawn makes the 1st draw irellevant, say 111 is drawn , who care is could have 222 or 345.

that sets  the number you are testing for the second draw, which is 1 in 1000

infact you are stating unity for the test of the 1st draw, the odds of any number being drawn is 1000 in 1000 or 1

so the odds are in fact 1x1000 = 1 in 1000

now if they stated  the odds of number 138 being drawn twice in a row it would be 1 in 1 mill. as you have odds of 1 in 1000 for the 1st drawm then 1 in 1000 for the second 1kx1k  = 1 mill

infact that reminds me many years ago i  started playing the results  form the previous draw on a $1 game. just to try and stick it  lady luck. i might actually start doing that again

its not that ucommon for numbers to repeat,  for 138 to repeat twice gets a little harder.

but im  just being pedantic.

i hope i made sense.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story