Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 6:32 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Pretend one or both of the sitiuations is happening to you

Topic closed. 51 replies. Last post 8 years ago by BobP.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
Dallas, TX
United States
Member #60284
April 12, 2008
3856 Posts
Posted: April 6, 2009, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

Hi all. Got some questions I wanted to ask. Pretend one or both of the sitiuations is happening to you.

Some examples of sitiuations.

1) You released a lottery system, free for everyone to use and someone is making a profit from it. How do you deal with it?

2) You released a lottery system, for a small fee, and someone is giving them away for free on another website, how do you deal with it?

Shawn67's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
    Member #45970
    September 1, 2006
    4763 Posts
    Posted: April 6, 2009, 9:59 pm - IP Logged

In response to #1: If it was offered for free for everyone to use and someone else happened to make a profit from it, Oh well. The program was offered for free.

In response to #2: You have a legitimate right to be p$%%@# off. If you have a copyright on the program, pursue legal action.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19901 Posts
      Posted: April 6, 2009, 10:14 pm - IP Logged

If you want control of your work, copyright it.  That way if you give it away or sell it you have control and others can't distribute it without your permission. 

There use to be a member who put other members ideas into an inter-active e-book and sold them but he tried using his LP posts to advertise them and his membership was ended.

The problem with discussing or sharing ideas at LP is they are in the public domain and it's hard for anyone to claim ownership of them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Dallas, TX
        United States
        Member #60284
        April 12, 2008
        3856 Posts
        Posted: April 6, 2009, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

If you want control of your work, copyright it.  That way if you give it away or sell it you have control and others can't distribute it without your permission. 

There use to be a member who put other members ideas into an inter-active e-book and sold them but he tried using his LP posts to advertise them and his membership was ended.

The problem with discussing or sharing ideas at LP is they are in the public domain and it's hard for anyone to claim ownership of them.

Whoever was doing that is quite unethical.

Going to call the copyright.gov office tomorrow for some info on how to copyright lottery systems.

germantown md
          United States
          Member #64543
          August 31, 2008
          3771 Posts
          Posted: April 6, 2009, 11:07 pm - IP Logged

Going to call the copyright.gov office tomorrow for some info on how to copyright lottery systems.

good idea thats the way to go.like shawn67 and Rjoh said if its free one can profit from it and aint a thing u can do about it but to write or confront whoever/persons to stop.that will be up to them to comply,on the other hand with copyrights yea Dp u  got them, prosecute.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
            Member #14
            November 9, 2001
            31542 Posts
            Posted: April 6, 2009, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

What does this person say?

love to nibble those micey feet.

Dallas, TX
              United States
              Member #60284
              April 12, 2008
              3856 Posts
              Posted: April 6, 2009, 11:29 pm - IP Logged

What does this person say?

No reply yet.

eddessaknight's avatar - nw paladin.jpg
                LAS VEGAS
                United States
                Member #47729
                November 22, 2006
                4590 Posts
                Posted: April 7, 2009, 12:18 am - IP Logged

While you are working on the copywrite/patent application, here is a quick short hand method that will afford legal protection that is admissible in court:

Write up your program in detail, l double space, notorize the letter, safety seal the packet and mail back to yourself via registered mail. Upon arrivals. when you sign for same, leave this mail unoponed - the postal mark is admissable evidence of who, what, & when you wrote it. This poor man's unofficial copy write procedure has been successfully used in the past and that is recorded prescident.

Hope that helps-

Diamond, I like your open contributions to this board, don't let the fear of a thief in the night rob you of your creative spark or change you. Biblically you can look look at your actions as bread upon the water.

A excerpt/paraphrase of a telling poem by Rudyard Kipling on the suject goes something like this:            "They stole all that they could but they couldn't steal my mind and I left them scrathching and sweathing a mlile and half behind.!"

Again commendations on your latest developments!

"Te Es Non Carbonrundom Illegitimum."

~ancient Latin Knight phrase meaning don't let the s grind you down!

EddessaKnight Wink

Sunny California
                  United States
                  Member #40295
                  May 31, 2006
                  7713 Posts
                  Posted: April 7, 2009, 1:04 am - IP Logged

Just a small bit of advice. Copyright's only go so far. The best thing to do would be to patent your system but I hear this is very expensive. If you have a patent then you can sue the pants off the thief but not so much with a copyright. There will always be someone just waiting in the wings to steal your ideas, a sad but true fact of life. In my opinion it would almost impossible to monitor who's stealing what unless a system came out that was so popular that everyone heard about it and you happened to run across it and see that it was yours. But keep in mind that you're probably not the only one who has thought up your "idea". If you've thought of it,chances are someone else has too so who's to know if your idea is really original. Unless you have that patent which proves when you came up with it and knew for sure that you were the first than it's probably fair game out there. I often think that myself. People like you and me,diamond,how do we know our ideas are so original? LOL. Wink 

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                    Dump Water Florida
                    United States
                    Member #380
                    June 5, 2002
                    3113 Posts
                    Posted: April 7, 2009, 1:53 am - IP Logged

Do a little research on copyright and patent as no offense most of what you get is more urban legend than fact.

http://www.copyright.gov/

If nothing else, read the FAQ it clearly talks about copyright and patent, how you copyright text not ideas, systems or discoveries.

In my opinion you have to show loss in order to win compensation beyond a cease and desist order.  For example, I may give information away on my web site, but I'm doing so to attract visitors.  So even if I intended no profit, someone else giving my information away harms me.  The problem is putting a dollar figure on it. 

Any action is more likely to enrich lawyurs on both sides doing nothing for the victim who is unlikely to collect a dime.

If you sell a system as part of an actual business rather then pocket money as a hobby, and someone else starts selling it too, you may have a case.

Remember you can not copyright columns of numbers, only the description of what they do or what is happening.   If the numbers are the same, means nothing, if the system is the same, but all the words are different it will be harder then if the thief scratched your name off and added his own or published without a name.

I don't know about patents.  I can well imagine trying to enforce a lottery system patent in court.  Trying to demonstrate the value of a system vs a negative expectation game. 

What's published is automatically copyrighted, though there is a formal copyright process as well.  What is posted here is automatically copyrighted both by you and Todd, protecting you both. 

BobP

This post is automatically copyrighted.

NASHVILLE, TENN
                      United States
                      Member #33372
                      February 20, 2006
                      1044 Posts
                      Posted: April 7, 2009, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

Copyrights and patents are not worth the paper they are printed on when it comes to that one thief acting alone.  He doesn"t care about law or ethics.  Stopping him will be next to impossible.  Unless you put him in a place where he can no longer benefit from your work, he will continue to rip you off regardless of the law, the courts, or you.

Copyrights and patents are worthwhile when it comes to mega-sized corporations.  They do care.   They have a lot more to lose than just a few dollars.  They will never rip off someone else's patent without due compensation. 

Should I be fortunate to find an algorithym that reduces the odds in any lottory, so much so that the program would be profitable, I would set up a web site, allow members to run the program over the internet, allow them to reap the possible winning combination, but never allow them to see the code.

If my program was worthless, I would sell it for $39.95 plus shipping and handling.

Honduras
                        Member #20982
                        August 29, 2005
                        4715 Posts
                        Posted: April 7, 2009, 4:36 pm - IP Logged

I wonder what will happen if a guy is selling his system on the internet and then he/she stop selling it or goes out of bussiness and then someone is either selling it or distributing it free....

Both questions are fussy....

But no offense but to get a copyrighted on your system that means YOUR SYSTEM BETTER WORKS...And again no offense but i will say that most of LP members systems claiming it work will not make it...The only system you can get copyrighted i feel will be if you find a system that can claim 2 Pick3 games straight and then apply it to Pick6 and then deduce...

AND I'VE SAID THIS BEFORE....If your system really works why not create a LOTTERY PREDICTION WEBSITE....you will make more money that way....Example, suppose i have a system that can win "Win For Life" if i get copyrighted and sell it to other people, how much are they going to pay you? 400,000 for it....maybe 1 million dollars....While if i start a prediction website and if my system is really good, i get 15,000 members x 20 dollars a month that will be 300,000 EACH MONTH x 12 months = 3 million 600,000 dollars almost 4 million dollars...That's each year...in 5 years that will be 18 million dollars...But again you don't have to charge them 20 dollars you could charge them more again if your system REALLY WORKS....

if you sell a system copyrighted in the USA IT WILL BE SOLD for free in the blackmarket around the world like in the developing world as pirated works, like they do with music CD's and Movies DVD's...

What i really want with my systems is for them to create a "PREDICTION WEBSITE IN THE USA AND AROUND THE WORLD"....

and sorry to say this to LP but i believe most people in here are for the money, nobody cares about making your FELLOW AMERICANS, WHO DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT LOTTERY WIN, MAKING THEM HAVE MONEY AND BE ABLE TO TRAVEL, ETC...

This will never happen to me, because i am in favor of creating Prediction Websites with the purpose of making Americans be able to win and travel and buy themselves 3 and 4 houses abroad and go on cruises and be debt free and enjoy life and put their kids in Harvard or Yale...As long as they can put their kids in Harvard and by houses abroad i am happy...

And this to me is minor is a minor scratch this really doesn't matter to me...What will really make me happy and matters to me is if they have some kind of free lotto for Americans, Canadians and British living abroad that they can draw from you know to make the British empire look good....Most people have stunted intelligence, what can i say...They don't see the vision...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

United States
                          Member #73175
                          April 7, 2009
                          5 Posts
                          Posted: April 7, 2009, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

Regarding #1) Contact that guy, explain the situation and let him know that you can sue him. And then offer him to become your agent and sell this stuff on your behalf. He would be doing exactly what he is doing, but paying you royalties.

Of course, thieves are greedy by nature so he will probably decline and try to find a way around you. In that case, you can get his stuff pulled and find someone else to sell your stuff for a share of profits. That way, you would be making some money off your stuff without spending your time on it.

Dallas, TX
                            United States
                            Member #60284
                            April 12, 2008
                            3856 Posts
                            Posted: April 7, 2009, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

Thanks everyone for the input.

Honduras
                              Member #20982
                              August 29, 2005
                              4715 Posts
                              Posted: April 7, 2009, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

I wonder what will happen if a guy is selling his system on the internet and then he/she stop selling it or goes out of bussiness and then someone is either selling it or distributing it free....

Both questions are fussy....

But no offense but to get a copyrighted on your system that means YOUR SYSTEM BETTER WORKS...And again no offense but i will say that most of LP members systems claiming it work will not make it...The only system you can get copyrighted i feel will be if you find a system that can claim 2 Pick3 games straight and then apply it to Pick6 and then deduce...

AND I'VE SAID THIS BEFORE....If your system really works why not create a LOTTERY PREDICTION WEBSITE....you will make more money that way....Example, suppose i have a system that can win "Win For Life" if i get copyrighted and sell it to other people, how much are they going to pay you? 400,000 for it....maybe 1 million dollars....While if i start a prediction website and if my system is really good, i get 15,000 members x 20 dollars a month that will be 300,000 EACH MONTH x 12 months = 3 million 600,000 dollars almost 4 million dollars...That's each year...in 5 years that will be 18 million dollars...But again you don't have to charge them 20 dollars you could charge them more again if your system REALLY WORKS....

if you sell a system copyrighted in the USA IT WILL BE SOLD for free in the blackmarket around the world like in the developing world as pirated works, like they do with music CD's and Movies DVD's...

What i really want with my systems is for them to create a "PREDICTION WEBSITE IN THE USA AND AROUND THE WORLD"....

and sorry to say this to LP but i believe most people in here are for the money, nobody cares about making your FELLOW AMERICANS, WHO DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT LOTTERY WIN, MAKING THEM HAVE MONEY AND BE ABLE TO TRAVEL, ETC...

This will never happen to me, because i am in favor of creating Prediction Websites with the purpose of making Americans be able to win and travel and buy themselves 3 and 4 houses abroad and go on cruises and be debt free and enjoy life and put their kids in Harvard or Yale...As long as they can put their kids in Harvard and by houses abroad i am happy...

And this to me is minor is a minor scratch this really doesn't matter to me...What will really make me happy and matters to me is if they have some kind of free lotto for Americans, Canadians and British living abroad that they can draw from you know to make the British empire look good....Most people have stunted intelligence, what can i say...They don't see the vision...

FREE lotto exclusively for Americans living abroad....Yeah....HURRAH.....HURRAH....HURRAH...

WHAO!!!...

But the only thing is that Americans need to change the way they eat, eat REAL FOOD, not that crap about hamburgers and frech fries...they are losing in that battle...And prop up their black people, make them whiter personality wise and just prop them up, create blacks graduate school, etc, etc, create a reform system for blacks something that will let them go to schools and graduate schools and reform their gangs....

they are losing in those battles...

the reason why this can not be done quickly is because the USA is a big country...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨