Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 3:49 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why do we play?

Topic closed. 79 replies. Last post 7 years ago by marcie.

Page 2 of 6
PrintE-mailLink
Raven62's avatar - binary
New Jersey
United States
Member #17843
June 28, 2005
49758 Posts
Posted: December 30, 2009, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

I do not play.  Now that might sound strange but let me explain.  I use the lotto as a source of random numbers.  Using those numbers I explore all the patterns and try to find a link between most of them.  Year to date, my total investment in the lotto is less than $25 (and those were QP's bought on a whim).  I have found much enjoyment in just researching for an algorithym that will produce a profitable investment. 

Should I succeed in doing the impossible, I don't know what I will do with the rest of my life.  Find another impossible dream to pursue, I guess.

They did it with Roulette: "The Eudaemonic Pie", so why not the Lottery?

Betting systems have existed for as long as gambling has. A betting system is either bogus or clever depending upon whether it is based on a sufficiently deep understanding of the given game so that there is some method to the madness.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

New York,
    Panama
    Member #73078
    April 4, 2009
    3490 Posts
    Posted: December 30, 2009, 12:36 pm - IP Logged

Oh Please, please succeed! The one thing about us LP heads, is that we really enjoy when we hear that one of us has won, it keeps hope alive and we celebrate with the winne, so here is toyour success, Maybee when you do succeed you can end poverty, or end world hunger, or build a big house were we all can live in.

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
      Member #91
      January 19, 2002
      11931 Posts
      Posted: December 30, 2009, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

Cause I can't sing or dance or act or play basketball, or football, or baseball, or hockey......I'm not a self made millionaire, business man, or a politician....I'm not from old money, or married into money, or suing a big company for money, I'm not and inventor, or investor, or a crook, or a swindler, or a scammer.....

but mostly because,, they said I could never do it.... 

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

New York,
        Panama
        Member #73078
        April 4, 2009
        3490 Posts
        Posted: December 30, 2009, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

Well fja, I don't know, you ever considered writing? maybe drama or comedy?? you made me smile with just this piece alone!!!

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

sully16's avatar - sharan
          Ringleader
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #81740
          October 28, 2009
          40471 Posts
          Posted: December 30, 2009, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

I play because i want to win. i don't spend big bucks unless it's for a raffle. i 'm a daily 3 girl. but, i also like tracking the numbers, i do that even when i don't play. thats what i love about LP. I  can post predictions for all the 3 digits in all the states . i feel it can help me better understand what might be falling in my own state.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19826 Posts
            Posted: December 30, 2009, 4:43 pm - IP Logged

I don't play all the games, just the ones with a big payout for the top prize, the local pick5 and pick6 games if they've gone a while without a big winner and MegaMillions.  I enjoy trying to win but I would enjoy winning even more.  I have no complaints, where else can I spend a few dollars for a chance of winning so much?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

JAP69's avatar - alas
              South Carolina
              United States
              Member #6
              November 4, 2001
              8790 Posts
              Posted: December 30, 2009, 5:47 pm - IP Logged

When I go drop my $0.50 on the counter for my lottery ticket I know I am either going to have a return on that investment or a loss that day.

You hear just as many stories of winners and losers in the investment game as you do the lottery. A lot of banks and corporations just recently got bailed out for billions in losses. How many individuals have lost their lifes work recently.

MAGA

megamillionaire's avatar - Sphere animated_small_ neg2.gif
                Queens, NY
                United States
                Member #245
                April 15, 2002
                451 Posts
                Posted: December 30, 2009, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

Here's the question, why do we play the lottery?  Why not just save our cash in the bank and draw interest on the thing.  I hear so much complaining about not winning; and if they do win,  it's not often that it happens for them; then why' what's the real reason!

Wink  I'm retired so I play because I'd love to hit a big Jackpot and since in this state lots of the money played goes to school systems I look at the money I spend as a tax from which I can get a lot of money if I win and if I don't I'm helping kids learn. If I hit a big jackpot I'll be building the greenest off the grid house in the country. BTW Tell me which bank you save your money in. The interest mine pays id pitiful. Unhappy

Megamillionaire

Time is a wonderful teacher, but it kills all its students.

A man must consider what a rich realm he leaves when he becomes a conformist.

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                  Chicago
                  United States
                  Member #70678
                  February 8, 2009
                  889 Posts
                  Posted: December 30, 2009, 10:51 pm - IP Logged

Here's the question, why do we play the lottery?  Why not just save our cash in the bank and draw interest on the thing.  I hear so much complaining about not winning; and if they do win,  it's not often that it happens for them; then why' what's the real reason!

Have you ever heard the expression "Keep Hope Alive" ?

We play because we have dreams and there's hope that just maybe our dreams can come true!

New York,
                    Panama
                    Member #73078
                    April 4, 2009
                    3490 Posts
                    Posted: December 30, 2009, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

I know thats right, ca-dreaming,  You know every one is givin all the right answers, I hope that by my putting this question up,  it helps remind us why we play, and the bellyaching will be cut down to a minimum, WE PLAY BECAUSE WE HAVE DREAMS!!! And when the diggits we invest in doesn't come out yet, let us remember that we are wide awake in a hopeful dream, that can come throug and never give up!

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
                      Dallas, TX
                      United States
                      Member #60284
                      April 12, 2008
                      3856 Posts
                      Posted: December 31, 2009, 4:00 am - IP Logged

I don't play every day. Only when the jackpot is over 100+ millions for Mega and Powerball, other games I also have the jackpot limit before I play. During the time that I don't play, I test my systems, and when it is time to play I bring out the big guns, gather friends for pool, and have a shot at it.

Chicago
                        United States
                        Member #70678
                        February 8, 2009
                        889 Posts
                        Posted: January 1, 2010, 7:11 pm - IP Logged

I don't play every day. Only when the jackpot is over 100+ millions for Mega and Powerball, other games I also have the jackpot limit before I play. During the time that I don't play, I test my systems, and when it is time to play I bring out the big guns, gather friends for pool, and have a shot at it.

Good strategy diamondpalace!

Chicago
                          United States
                          Member #70678
                          February 8, 2009
                          889 Posts
                          Posted: January 1, 2010, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

Playing the lottery gives me hope that I can put my dreams into action. I love the challenge of choosing my own numbers and if my numbers don't hit I don't get upset. I can choose to try again or sit it out till I'm ready. The difference between the lottery and say a raffle or sweepstake is that even if you don't win......there's always another chance to play. 

If winning the lottery were as easy as picking a few numbers and winning then everybody would be winning. We all know the odds are against us and yet we choose to play anyway. No whining here!

Dollar419's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                            Santa Ana
                            United States
                            Member #71159
                            February 20, 2009
                            651 Posts
                            Posted: January 1, 2010, 8:55 pm - IP Logged

We play because we want to play, just ask any football, basketball, and baseball player--same story-no more or no less--we play to win and obviously complain a lot when we don'tDance

MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg

United States
                              Member #81314
                              October 16, 2009
                              18995 Posts
                              Posted: January 1, 2010, 9:24 pm - IP Logged

Why do I play the lottery?

It's chance and luck.

But, I only complain, when I've played a number all year, and it drops on the last day of the year, like, 480, lol, they brought it out of retirement.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!