Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 2:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why do we play?

Topic closed. 79 replies. Last post 7 years ago by marcie.

Page 3 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

Honduras
Member #20982
August 29, 2005
4715 Posts
Posted: January 1, 2010, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

why do i play?

Besides that the money is big, my economic situation is not that good and what keeps me going is that since i never made it to be a medical scientist or doctor or microbiologist, (i was studying pre-med and wanted to have a minor in microbiology and another minor in psychology something else i also wanted to study was genetic ingeneering) it makes me feel like i am a scientist trying to find the cure to a disease or a genetic ingeneering scientist looking how i can ultimately manipulate the human genes to create an eternal living person...Dont know about genetics but thats what the lottery makes me feel...

Something else that keeps me going is that i dont work (disabled not physically but mentally) if i was working you rarely see me on LP...i dont like to watch tv except news there is nothing interesting on tv not even in the USA, i dont cook and i dont have kids so it gives me plenty of free time to think of systems...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
    adelaide sa
    Australia
    Member #37136
    April 11, 2006
    3315 Posts
    Posted: January 1, 2010, 11:32 pm - IP Logged

winning lotto, seems easier than working , saving buying investments, running a business,  making the millions that other way, you know? hard slog. oh and i was swapped at birth in the hospital,i shoulda gone to that mega rich family.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
      Texas
      United States
      Member #55889
      October 23, 2007
      5751 Posts
      Posted: January 3, 2010, 10:18 am - IP Logged

Because our little nest egg (emphasis on little) is not doing so hot, especially since some a-hole decided to help himself and hide in South America. After running around all week on a sales floor, my legs and feet feel like dead weight, hitting on a jackpot seems to be my only hope to retire before I drop dead right in the middle of the store someday.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

United States
        Member #10720
        January 23, 2005
        933 Posts
        Posted: January 3, 2010, 10:37 am - IP Logged

Why some play: want to see other people jealous of them if they do win big?

Why I play:
        -it's January! reason enough!!!
        -something to look forward to at 1PM and 8PM and sometimes 11PM, on an
        otherwise boring day.
        -I feel that my best algorithms can at least break even, and have produced decent wins
        in the past: 5 of 5, 4 of 5, and STR and BOX enough to buy something I wanted at the time, i.e. Tires, new Coat from Burlington Coat Factory, Red Lobster... If I were convinced there is no way to systemize a game then I probably won't play it.
        -it's a personal challenge. As a programmer I like to translate everything in life to program logic, explaining  to a computer how to do things.
        -I always read stories about how people react to the winners, and I want to see how people would act toward me; who my real friends are. We don't like to depend on other people for anything. Money = Power! Power = Security!
        -Winning is FUN!!! the ironic thing is the less often you win, the more you cherish it when you do.

as for "getting out of the trap": imagine a scenario where everyone wins a million dollars. Everyone runs to the Benz dealership. Problem is, some people get there late and there are no cars to buy, or the employees didn't show up because they're also millionaires running to other Benz dealerships.. in a nutshell, everyone can't be rich because then nothing would be produced! Think Zimbabwe. At least until machines produce everything, and everything was free, and then who would need money?? The unintended byproduct of winning or wanting to win is it means others have to lose. The dollar(s) you played in Powerball added to the lavish lifestyle of "the only one winner."

New York,
          Panama
          Member #73078
          April 4, 2009
          3490 Posts
          Posted: January 3, 2010, 10:52 am - IP Logged

Of all that you have said, I do agree with two things; I am the I- do- not- like-to depend- on- others- for- nothing type! and the fact that "Winning is Fun"!!!

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

United States
            Member #10720
            January 23, 2005
            933 Posts
            Posted: January 3, 2010, 11:03 am - IP Logged

..and as far as the stock market being unstable: the Lottery generally takes 50% takeout even before taxes i.e. a Pick-3 STR pays $250 per .50 played, when it "should" be $500 based on the odds 1000 to 1. The stock market has a small takeout to "play", which is the fee you pay per trade, but the distribution is more even. The downsides are a high "entry fee", headaches at tax time, and being much more complicated to systemize with multiple variables and sometimes difficult to obtain back data, and the fear of suddenly losing a large amount i.e. Enron.

cheryl59's avatar - center
              Va Beach
              United States
              Member #46651
              September 20, 2006
              1865 Posts
              Posted: January 4, 2010, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

Here's the question, why do we play the lottery?  Why not just save our cash in the bank and draw interest on the thing.  I hear so much complaining about not winning; and if they do win,  it's not often that it happens for them; then why' what's the real reason!

I Really like it. (just that simple)

CHERYL59Hippy

01-02-03-04-05

My Ultimate Pet numbers

quietstorm2's avatar - eye storm.jpg
                shelby twp. mich
                United States
                Member #77127
                July 14, 2009
                262 Posts
                Posted: January 5, 2010, 7:31 am - IP Logged

I play because I like the knowing that I will win sometime and the lump sums usually come right on time. My employment of 20 years and the 401k did not leave me wealthy. My gut feelings still tell me that one day I will be wealthy enough to be of help to the needy. There is also something to the addiction so as long as I'm looking at the plus I think I can hang.Wink

New York,
                  Panama
                  Member #73078
                  April 4, 2009
                  3490 Posts
                  Posted: January 5, 2010, 7:54 am - IP Logged

I am right there with you!!!!Smile

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

New York,
                    Panama
                    Member #73078
                    April 4, 2009
                    3490 Posts
                    Posted: January 5, 2010, 7:59 am - IP Logged

I trully hear and Understand You!!!

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

Georgia
                      United States
                      Member #81255
                      October 14, 2009
                      27 Posts
                      Posted: January 5, 2010, 8:05 am - IP Logged

BananaI play lottery to make myself feel good especially when I win...... it's better than caffeine.

New York,
                        Panama
                        Member #73078
                        April 4, 2009
                        3490 Posts
                        Posted: January 5, 2010, 8:11 am - IP Logged

Yes, it is better than caffeine and it does not leave you hyped-up for nothing!!

At least when you win you know you could drink as many of those winning cups as you can. with very good side-effect!Smile

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

marcie's avatar - Lottery-011.jpg
                          Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #49980
                          February 21, 2007
                          34521 Posts
                          Posted: January 6, 2010, 5:53 am - IP Logged

I play because it is a Game of Chance. I don't win all the time but I feel really good being able to help others win. And I know one of these days I am going to hit the big one! It is recreation for me. It is fun to pick numbers and watch them come in other States. That is one way I am feeling that I will have some luck somewhere. Or I will give other people Luck. It is just Fun, I love the Game. I hope everyone have some luck for 2010! Smile Mega Million for me! It feels good to win too!

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233413    Sun Smiley Popular numbers

Use Mirror #'s Use prs. with your  Key* numbers the most Vivid thing in your dream go up or down on #'s.  Flip  6=9 `9=6  Bullseyes  0 or 1 for Pick 4 and the P. 5  Play the other part of doubles.  Do the Whole nine yards for a P. 4* P. 5*  or 0 thur 9  for P. 4  P. 5 from my dreams or hunches good Luck.. Write your Dreams down Play for 3 days.  Good Luck All.

New York,
                            Panama
                            Member #73078
                            April 4, 2009
                            3490 Posts
                            Posted: January 7, 2010, 3:07 pm - IP Logged

A lot of my Fellow LPters gave their reason why they play all good  reasons, some really great ones, but no one said, When where they going to stop! so I believe I am going to ask!

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

New York,
                              Panama
                              Member #73078
                              April 4, 2009
                              3490 Posts
                              Posted: January 9, 2010, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

I should have asked recovery road what system did he use! at least so we would avoid it!!Twitch

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina