Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:44 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Information Theory and Lotto

Topic closed. 61 replies. Last post 6 years ago by GASMETERGUY.

Page 2 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
NASHVILLE, TENN
United States
Member #33372
February 20, 2006
1044 Posts
Posted: January 7, 2010, 11:09 am - IP Logged

"Recently I read about a mathematician who wondered if one coulddetermine the shape of a drum by listening only to the sound the drummade when struck. As it turned out, he could."

After listening to somebody play a drum for a minute or an hour, can he tell us which of the other 175 million drums will be played next?

That depends, KY Floyd.  Is there a physical system involved which determines the next drum to be played?  If so, then there may be a way to predict the next drum to be played.

What will be needed is information about that physical system, which is why I posted this thread.

Hans's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
    Monte Carlo
    France
    Member #55589
    October 9, 2007
    1181 Posts
    Posted: January 26, 2010, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

26 27 28 29 20

Jackpot in 32 tickets.

Hans

Strive to predict 8 tickets for 12 numbers with Max ROI for Pick6!

florida
      United States
      Member #83241
      December 2, 2009
      3 Posts
      Posted: February 7, 2010, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

Anyone else watch the show Numb3rs? This thread reminds me of the show. Lol.

the math person who help to write the movie, he hate lotto

marcie's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
        Ohio
        United States
        Member #49980
        February 21, 2007
        34096 Posts
        Posted: February 8, 2010, 10:39 am - IP Logged

I was watching this math Teacher on the news, she is about to retire, and she said when a person is trying to do a problem in  Numbers or Math show the proof!  I think she is about right!

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233413    Sun Smiley Popular numbers

Use Mirror #'s Use prs. with your  Key* numbers the most Vivid thing in your dream go up or down on #'s.  Flip  6=9 `9=6  Bullseyes  0 or 1 for Pick 4 and the P. 5  Play the other part of doubles.  Do the Whole nine yards for a P. 4* P. 5*  or 0 thur 9  for P. 4  P. 5 from my dreams or hunches good Luck.. Write your Dreams down Play for 3 days.  Good Luck All.

NASHVILLE, TENN
          United States
          Member #33372
          February 20, 2006
          1044 Posts
          Posted: February 8, 2010, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

I was watching this math Teacher on the news, she is about to retire, and she said when a person is trying to do a problem in  Numbers or Math show the proof!  I think she is about right!

The "proof" you speak of says the lottory can not be predicted.  And this is true.  There is no proof that an algorithm can predict a random draw. 

In fact, according to Quantum Physics, there is only one way to predict the furture and that is with the use of wave functions.  Unfortunately a wave function incorporates all possible outcomes and is only "solved" when the answer becomes manifest.  What use is an equation when the answer can only be discerned after the fact?

Mathematical proofs are not what we are after.  What we want is a strategy that makes playing the lottory profitable.  We use math to find that strategy.  Proofs are not required when looking for a strategy.

marcie's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
            Ohio
            United States
            Member #49980
            February 21, 2007
            34096 Posts
            Posted: February 9, 2010, 5:56 am - IP Logged

The "proof" you speak of says the lottory can not be predicted.  And this is true.  There is no proof that an algorithm can predict a random draw. 

In fact, according to Quantum Physics, there is only one way to predict the furture and that is with the use of wave functions.  Unfortunately a wave function incorporates all possible outcomes and is only "solved" when the answer becomes manifest.  What use is an equation when the answer can only be discerned after the fact?

Mathematical proofs are not what we are after.  What we want is a strategy that makes playing the lottory profitable.  We use math to find that strategy.  Proofs are not required when looking for a strategy.

Ok, I guess that make some sense. But I can predit a number but don't always know the State. Mayority of the times, you all use a Stystem I don't. but I could if I wanted to. since I have got these books tht this nice Lady on Lotterypost sent me. I think I will start using it. thanks for you input.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233413    Sun Smiley Popular numbers

Use Mirror #'s Use prs. with your  Key* numbers the most Vivid thing in your dream go up or down on #'s.  Flip  6=9 `9=6  Bullseyes  0 or 1 for Pick 4 and the P. 5  Play the other part of doubles.  Do the Whole nine yards for a P. 4* P. 5*  or 0 thur 9  for P. 4  P. 5 from my dreams or hunches good Luck.. Write your Dreams down Play for 3 days.  Good Luck All.

NASHVILLE, TENN
              United States
              Member #33372
              February 20, 2006
              1044 Posts
              Posted: March 6, 2010, 9:01 am - IP Logged

On some other thread I suggested to one member that he/she input the numbers manually.  He/she wanted a way to take a number format such as 1-2-3-4-5 and put each number in a single cell using Excel.  I suggested they do just the opposite and type in each number slowly.  Why slowly?  So they might be able to see a pattern.

The other day I took my own advice.  I deleted all 4,900  and then some Georgia drawn numbers.  Using their website, I manually typed in each and every date and number.  I did so slowly.  And did I find something?   Perhaps.

I noticed a lot of draws that contain a number evenly divisible by 5. 

After I had all the draws into Excel, I wrote a short program to determine which draws had such a number ( 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35).  Much to my surprise about 65% of the draws contained a number evenly divisible by 5.

While this may not seem much to most of us (myself included), I am posting this "fact" here in the hopes that others who have noticed something similiar might add to the list.

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                Chicago
                United States
                Member #70678
                February 8, 2009
                889 Posts
                Posted: March 6, 2010, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

On some other thread I suggested to one member that he/she input the numbers manually.  He/she wanted a way to take a number format such as 1-2-3-4-5 and put each number in a single cell using Excel.  I suggested they do just the opposite and type in each number slowly.  Why slowly?  So they might be able to see a pattern.

The other day I took my own advice.  I deleted all 4,900  and then some Georgia drawn numbers.  Using their website, I manually typed in each and every date and number.  I did so slowly.  And did I find something?   Perhaps.

After I had all the draws into Excel, I wrote a short program to determine which draws had such a number ( 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35).  Much to my surprise about 65% of the draws contained a number evenly divisible by 5.

While this may not seem much to most of us (myself included), I am posting this "fact" here in the hopes that others who have noticed something similiar might add to the list.

This reminds me of the book Lottery Numbers Past, Present and Future by Harry Schneider.  He talks about the lines being divisible by different numbers. In most of his examples he uses the UK National Lottery.

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
                  Member #567
                  August 14, 2002
                  482 Posts
                  Posted: March 9, 2010, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

The lottery is completely random.  For powerball and mega millions, the odds against you winning the jackpot are astronomical, and the drawings are random every time.  Winning the jackpot is a matter of luck!

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

NASHVILLE, TENN
                    United States
                    Member #33372
                    February 20, 2006
                    1044 Posts
                    Posted: March 16, 2010, 12:59 am - IP Logged

The lottery is completely random.  For powerball and mega millions, the odds against you winning the jackpot are astronomical, and the drawings are random every time.  Winning the jackpot is a matter of luck!

You know,  rundown99, I do not disagree with what you are saying.  What I do find loathsome is your refusal to allow others the freedom to consider alternatives. 

Earthquakes are random too.  That does not stop geologists from studying them, collecting data, looking for clues that would make predicting earthquakes an exact science.  Look what geologists have done with volcanoes!  Not thirty years ago volcanoes were also considered a random event.  Now we can predict within days when one is about to "blow".   Of course I am thinking of Mount Saint Helen.

So most of us here look for clues that would make predicting the lotto somewhat more exact than what we have now.  What could possibly be wrong with that?

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                      Member #13130
                      March 30, 2005
                      2171 Posts
                      Posted: March 16, 2010, 11:49 am - IP Logged

FWIW, out of 575,757 combos, 374,381 contain at least one value divisible by 5.
                      374,381 / 575,757 = 65.02% Cool

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                      Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

NASHVILLE, TENN
                        United States
                        Member #33372
                        February 20, 2006
                        1044 Posts
                        Posted: March 16, 2010, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

FWIW, out of 575,757 combos, 374,381 contain at least one value divisible by 5.
                        374,381 / 575,757 = 65.02% Cool

That makes sense.  In looking at the Georgia P5 game, a number divisible by 5 has occured 59% of the time during the last year.  That corrresponds very closely to what theory (your idea above) predicts.

And what does FWIW mean?

United States
                          Member #13130
                          March 30, 2005
                          2171 Posts
                          Posted: March 16, 2010, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

FWIW = for what it's worth. Big Smile

Sometimes we see things that look like they are happening alot, when they are really just happening along mathematical expectation.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United States
                            Member #13130
                            March 30, 2005
                            2171 Posts
                            Posted: March 17, 2010, 5:22 am - IP Logged

Filling out the list ... of the 575,757 possible combos...

374,381 contain at least one value divisible by 5: 65.02%

338,421 contain at least one value divisible by 6: 58.78%

297,501 contain at least one value divisible by 7: 51.67%

251,125 contain at least one value divisible by 8, 9: 43.62%

198,765 contain at least one value divisible by 10-13: 34.52%

139,860 contain at least one value divisible by 14-19: 24.29%

73,815 contain at least one value divisible by 20-39: 12.82%

NASHVILLE, TENN
                              United States
                              Member #33372
                              February 20, 2006
                              1044 Posts
                              Posted: March 17, 2010, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

FWIW = for what it's worth. Big Smile

Sometimes we see things that look like they are happening alot, when they are really just happening along mathematical expectation.

These mathematical expectations is precisely what I want.  Might you have a few with which you are willing to share?  I really need about two more, just not the one "divisible by x".  I have one of those.