Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 12:55 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Information Theory and Lotto

Topic closed. 61 replies. Last post 7 years ago by GASMETERGUY.

Page 4 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
NASHVILLE, TENN
United States
Member #33372
February 20, 2006
1044 Posts
Posted: April 28, 2010, 9:55 pm - IP Logged

Aw, pick4hawk, therein lies the rub.

The short answer is maybe.  The long answer is yes and no.  The proper answer is "there will be times when the number of combinations are affordable and there will be times when the number of combinations are not affordable".  On those ocassions when the number of combinations exceeds 100, I plan on staying home.  Only when there are 50 or less combinations and the jackpot is worth the two hour drive to Georgia, will I play.

Early on, during my "research" I found that stringing 9 patterns together would never produce an affordable list of combinations.  So I increased the number of patterns to 12.  Along with this increase came a decrease in the number of times all 12 patterns matched my prediction even tho the number of combinations was affordable (on most ocassions).

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
    Tx
    United States
    Member #4570
    May 4, 2004
    5180 Posts
    Posted: May 1, 2010, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

Recently I read about a mathematician who wondered if one could determine the shape of a drum by listening only to the sound the drum made when struck. As it turned out, he could. And he did. Not only did he determine the shape of the drum but the volume as well. That was a striking bit of work. This accomplishment was based on Information Theory. There was information buried within the sound of the drum that allowed him to determine the shape and volume of the drum.

Is there information buried within five numbers drawn from a pool of 39? Let’s find out.

Here are five numbers taken from the Georgia Pick 5 game for December 30,2009

6-8-9-20-27

What possible information can we extract from them?

1)                  These five numbers will add to a sum. In this instance the sum is 70

2)                  The sum will be either odd or even

3)                  The lowest number happens to be an even number

4)                  The highest number happens to be an odd number

5)                  The difference between the lowest and highest number is 21

6)                  The “difference number” will be either odd or even

7)                  The gaps between the numbers is 2,1,11,and 7

8)                  The gaps sum to 21

9)                  The “gaps sum” will be either odd or even

Anyone care to add to this list?

Is there information buried within five numbers drawn from a pool of 39? Let’s find out.

6-8-9-20-27

1)                  These five numbers will add to a sum. In this instance the sum is 70 OK INFO

2)                  The sum (The Right Digit) will be either odd or even OK INFO

3)                  The lowest number happens to be an even number OK INFO

4)                  The highest number happens to be an odd number OK INFO.

5)                  The difference between the lowest and highest number is 21 . OK INFO.

6)                  The “difference number” will be either odd or even OK INFO.

7)                  The gaps between the numbers is 2,1,11,and 7 OK INFO.

8)                  The gaps sum to 21 OK INFO.

9)                  The “gaps sum” will be either odd or even OK INFO.

You Did Very Good!

There is lots more, very very much more.

-----------

Those who might say that, that is of no use because you got that info from only 1 draw, are very much wrong.

You did very good there, but it is only a start.

Much more can be gotten from the one draw shown there and you can also get filters patterns from a longer list of past draws.

Use single draws for some filters patterns and use more than 1 past draw for other filters patterns.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

NASHVILLE, TENN
      United States
      Member #33372
      February 20, 2006
      1044 Posts
      Posted: May 3, 2010, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

Of course there is more.  Most of it came from your previous posts.  And there is more than I have yet to uncover. 

Even after finding this "more", I will still have the problem of what to do with the information.

Take the old, proverbial flipping of a coin.  That is a 50-50 pattern.  Not much one can do with a 50-50 pattern.  I would go so far as to say there is nothing one can do with a 50-50 pattern.  But take that same coin toss only with a loaded coin.  Now the pattern might be 75-25. There is a lot one can do with such a skewed pattern.  The trick is to find those skewed patterns.  (Got any suggestions for skewed patterns?  I am all ears.)

And after we have found all of them, there is still the problem of how to incorporate them into an algorithm that will make playing the lottory a profitable enterprise.

My work continues.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19828 Posts
        Posted: May 4, 2010, 12:02 pm - IP Logged

6-8-9-20-27

1)                  These five numbers will add to a sum. In this instance the sum is 70 OK INFO

2)                  The sum (The Right Digit) will be either odd or even OK INFO

3)                  The lowest number happens to be an even number OK INFO

4)                  The highest number happens to be an odd number OK INFO.

5)                  The difference between the lowest and highest number is 21 . OK INFO.

6)                  The “difference number” will be either odd or even OK INFO.

7)                  The gaps between the numbers is 2,1,11,and 7 OK INFO.

8)                  The gaps sum to 21 OK INFO.

9)                  The “gaps sum” will be either odd or even OK INFO.

You Did Very Good!

There is lots more, very very much more.

-----------

Those who might say that, that is of no use because you got that info from only 1 draw, are very much wrong.

You did very good there, but it is only a start.

Much more can be gotten from the one draw shown there and you can also get filters patterns from a longer list of past draws.

Use single draws for some filters patterns and use more than 1 past draw for other filters patterns.

Three analogies not done on that Georgia pick5 combination are:

1) total number of digits in combination are 7

2) number of different digits in combination are 6

3) number of decades in the combination are 2

I looked at Ohio Rolling Cash5 (5/39) and picked these parameters that cover 95% of previous winners (1898 drawings).

Different digits 4-7
        Total digits 7-10
        Number of decades in combinations 2-4
        Sums of numbers in combinations 55-150
        Range of gap sizes 1-17
        Range cover by numbers in combination 15-39

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

NASHVILLE, TENN
          United States
          Member #33372
          February 20, 2006
          1044 Posts
          Posted: May 4, 2010, 10:35 pm - IP Logged

Different digits 4-7
          Total digits 7-10
          Number of decades in combinations 2-4
          Sums of numbers in combinations 55-150
          Range of gap sizes 1-17
          Range cover by numbers in combination 15-39

Wow, RJOH.  I never thought about these patterns.  Thanks for sharing.  If I come up with something useful, you will be the first to know.

Tx
            United States
            Member #4570
            May 4, 2004
            5180 Posts
            Posted: May 5, 2010, 12:33 am - IP Logged

Recently I read about a mathematician who wondered if one could determine the shape of a drum by listening only to the sound the drum made when struck. As it turned out, he could. And he did. Not only did he determine the shape of the drum but the volume as well. That was a striking bit of work. This accomplishment was based on Information Theory. There was information buried within the sound of the drum that allowed him to determine the shape and volume of the drum.

6-8-9-20-27

1)                  These five numbers will add to a sum. In this instance the sum is 70

2)                  The sum will be either odd or even

3)                  The lowest number happens to be an even number

4)                  The highest number happens to be an odd number

5)                  The difference between the lowest and highest number is 21

6)                  The “difference number” will be either odd or even

7)                  The gaps between the numbers is 2,1,11,and 7

8)                  The gaps sum to 21

9)                  The “gaps sum” will be either odd or even

Of course I have never seen a Sums Chart for any jackpot game, but it in a way might be similar to the Sums Chart of the pick 3  game, that is that:

"Most combinations might be on the middle sums"

Maybe not too much use trying to filter out the Lower and the Higher Sums as they are already mostly filtered out by the game itself, because most combinations are on the middle sums.

Instead, if you could find out which of the sums and mostly which of the middle sums have a lower chance for the very next draw, then you could filter those out.

-------

Sums give way to other filters, those can also be used.

--------

Even-Odd and Low-High, also use them in more than one way.

-----------

Widths-Ranges-Gaps-Skips might also be of use in more than one way.

------------------

The use of filters are "Legion" they are mostly limited by the imagination.

------------------

The main problem might be, that there is no software for all those many stats and filters.

So that the techniques can't be used.

You can't filter by hand, those almost infinite (So many) combinations.

---------------

How to use them? Not at all, without the proper software.

Tx
              United States
              Member #4570
              May 4, 2004
              5180 Posts
              Posted: May 5, 2010, 1:01 am - IP Logged

The more combinations that a game has, the more kinds of filters that can be developed and used.

As the pick 3 game has only 1000 straight combinations there are more limits to what filters can be used for it.

People don't seem to be very willing to develop extensive filter systems for jackpot kind of games and maybe not even for the pick 4 game.

They have even put limits on what they have done for the pick 3 game, but what they have done for the pick 3 game is much more than what they have done for other lottery games.

Crazy, since as the number of combinations on games increases the more that can and should be done for them, in order to filter them down to size.

United States
                Member #90675
                May 2, 2010
                11 Posts
                Posted: May 5, 2010, 8:07 am - IP Logged

One must consider distance...the source and destination. Sound travels and while in route...it changes shape.

Regards,

X

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19828 Posts
                  Posted: May 5, 2010, 8:03 pm - IP Logged

One must consider distance...the source and destination. Sound travels and while in route...it changes shape.

Regards,

X

Also, sound coming from a source that's approaching you has its waves compressed giving it a higher pitch then when it's departing from you stretching out its waves which gives it a lower pitch.  A good example of this if you've ever gone to the Indy 500 time trials and stood in snake pit near the track and listened to the pitch of the car engines as they approach and depart from near your position at 180+ mph.

NASHVILLE, TENN
                    United States
                    Member #33372
                    February 20, 2006
                    1044 Posts
                    Posted: May 28, 2010, 11:07 pm - IP Logged

Has anyone heard of "Happy Numbers"?  They are similar to Padovan numbers.  There is an equation that generates these Happy Numbers.  Just Google Happy Numbers and you will find the equation and the numbers generated by the equation.

Happy numbers are one of those skewed patterns I just love to use.  The results are quite close to those obtained using Padovan numbers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19828 Posts
                      Posted: May 28, 2010, 11:25 pm - IP Logged

The results are quite close to those obtained using Padovan numbers.

Do you mean happy numbers were almost the same as the Padovan numbers or they won almost as often as the Padovan numbers?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

NASHVILLE, TENN
                        United States
                        Member #33372
                        February 20, 2006
                        1044 Posts
                        Posted: May 29, 2010, 8:36 pm - IP Logged

The results are quite close to those obtained using Padovan numbers.

Do you mean happy numbers were almost the same as the Padovan numbers or they won almost as often as the Padovan numbers?

Only the number 1 is the same.  They are different.  They hit about as often as Padovan numbers which, if I remember right, is about 65% of the time.

edge's avatar - waveform

United States
                          Member #68609
                          December 26, 2008
                          2204 Posts
                          Posted: May 30, 2010, 9:30 pm - IP Logged

very good thread:)

ab actu ad posse valet illatio - from the past one can infer the future

edge's avatar - waveform

United States
                            Member #68609
                            December 26, 2008
                            2204 Posts
                            Posted: May 30, 2010, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

Have strong reasons to believe upcoming Mega Sequence will hit with upwards 4 Padovan numbers (in fact I have never left and been tracking major games ever since)

The issue is not if they occur but when they do the complementary numbers are extremely difficult to co-pair, sometimes they occur as consecutive numbers

Their distribution in mega is somewhat oscillatory, in the power ball less so (unfortunately because of it's enormous jackpot and my reliance on that sequence)

It is all really puzzling to me, and I am still performing graphing (visualization to me is far more important than statistical calculations:) I would think that any pattern formation could be attributed to

computerized RNG selections (happen before, one flaw in the algorithm no matter how small and there is a potential for pattern) but pure mechanical drawing? now that is strange to say the least:)

cheers

ab actu ad posse valet illatio - from the past one can infer the future

Montreal, Quebec
                              Canada
                              Member #85044
                              January 7, 2010
                              9 Posts
                              Posted: May 31, 2010, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

gasmeterguy,

You're looking for consistency in something that is designed not to be consistent.

We can take that drawing,  6-8-9-20-27, and do this

Calls 6 X

X + 2 +1 +11 + 7.

You might see that pattern again the next day or you might not see it for a very long time.

The thing is, even if you did see it, you'd have to have the right number for the first number or the pattern would be worthless to you.

If a lottery game  was too show consistency, it would become unavailable.

I Agree!

I think Coin Toss pretty much summed it up.

Life is half spent before we know what it is.

George Herbert